Can anyone tell me what g-sync actually does compared to triple buffering...

Can anyone tell me what g-sync actually does compared to triple buffering? I need to get a new monitor and I want to stick to 1920x1280 (I'm afraid old games will look like shit on anything bigger), but those don't come with g-sync and I heard g-sync would make old cards stay competitive longer. I HATE screentearing or stuttering so depending on what it is it could be really useful to me.

Also, best 1980x1280 monitor for the cost? It's for gaymin of course so low latency is a must.

nice pic lol asuka best girl

>g-sync
Jews from marketing claims it prevents you noticing unstable framerate and lag.

I claim it is super placebo effect which forces you to pay 2~4x more for your monitor and it vendor-locks you to nvidia.

Also your resolution is meme. Get up with times:
24" 1920x1080 are super cheap
27" 2560x1440 are optimal (you can even buy reasonable priced hardware to play games in this resolution)
30+ 3840x2160 are still a bit meme (simply no content, windows and old apps are too small on it and even 1080 struggles on it to have stable 60fps)

Check your store to see that for the same price you can buy
4x first option
2x second
1x third.

Also consider ultrawide models. Nobody wants them so they are cheap as well.
And buy IPS for the colors. There are IPS models with 5ms delay so unless you are superman you shouldnt be able to tell the difference.

Use your brain and buy 1440p or 4K.

>I'm afraid old games will look like shit on anything bigger
not sure what old games op is playing but
i rather not play games where 800x600 is the max resolution on a 4k monitor

>Jews from marketing claims it prevents you noticing unstable framerate and lag.
I have had real issues with microstutter. Will this fix those?

Also, could you tell me the difference between IPS and the other one? I just want something that looks good, ABSOLUTELY NO FUCKING GHOSTING, and no delay. Resolution means almost nothing to me, the lower the better in fact. I want a 1920x1080.

Bump.

>no ghosting and no delay
you are left with plasma or CRT

can´t you get rid of ghosting via backlight strobing?

no delay is physically impossible

>I have had real issues with microstutter. Will this fix those?

it will help reduce one possible cause of microstutter if you were previously using vsync.

Gsync sucks since you pay an extra 200 dollars for it and your gpu is locked to that specific monitor. No, what you wanna do is play the game in fullscreen, cap the framerate to one below the refresh rate and use vsync to get a smooth gameplay experience

factually incorrect

Use amd freesync

rebuild misato: shit
NG misato: best girl

everything is worse in rebuild, that much is obvious. My most appropriate gif is just from rebuild.

non-misato lovers should pay attention to this post

IPS is terrible if playing dark games. If he is playing Thief: The Dark Project, I think it will be a lot more important that he doesn't have glowing corners than his friend being unable to see his game in perfect color.

>Screen tearing doesn't exist and isn't easily noticeable

So which is better, IPS or TN? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each?

Ips is better in almost everything compared to tn except respose times. Although color reproduction has improved on tn displays, the shit viewing angle ruins it completely

What's this I hear about it looking bad on dark games though? Because I love shit like Deus Ex and Shadowrun and I want it to look good. More importantly, which deals best with motion blur?

IPS glow, although TN has its own share of backlight issues and muddy blacks

Does either one have an advantage over the other regarding things like longevity (time without dead pixels), motion blur, that kind of thing?

>I HATE screentearing or stuttering
then why the fuck are you trying to gaem on pc faggot?
these two things are literally impossible to avoid on pc

Then why even play on PC?

the theory is like this;
a normal monitor runs on a fixed vertical refresh rate, typically they support a range of rates, but more often than not people just leave them running at 60Hz permanently
this means to get consistently-timed frames, you need to use a multiple of that rate, namely 60, 30, 20, 15, 10...

adaptive-sync monitors instead run at a variable frequency, software can change the refresh rate to suit any particular moment without losing sync like you would on a regular monitor
this means if your game is running at say, 45fps, the monitor can display those consistently by running at 45Hz, while otherwise you'd need to bring that down to 30fps on a 60Hz display for consistent frame times

tl;dr, they provide the benefit of vsync (no tearing) without the downside of vsync (added latency by needing to wait on the monitor)

you can get a consistently smooth experience on a pc if you;
a. run nothing else at the same time
b. artificially limit the game so it can't render more than your know your machine can handle

basically what consoles do, the only difference between pc's and consoles is that they're a fixed platform (devs can design the game around that specific hardware to get consistent results so the end user doesn't need to)

Forgive me if I sound like a buffoon, but is latency the same thing as lag? Vsync causes input lag?

yes

And this is only in controls or does it have any kind of visual effect?

huh?

Just use vsync retard

Yes you can, but most monitors with ULMB also feature gsync

Not really. TN has angle issues.
Better blacks better contrast less ghosting

And do you know what is the best solution?

Buy strong enough GPU capable of producing more than target FPS and force game by any means (vsync, settings in game, settings in gpu drivers) to limit framerate.

Tldr pour your money into GPU, not monitor.

>lag meme
It is fact that when people click on button, they will get nervous if nothing happens in ~200ms.

Now the modern TN monitors have from 1~6ms and IPS from 4~15ms. All your input lags, latency and ghosting surely exists, but claiming you can feel/see it is one big snake oil bussiness.

Even if you are top10 csgo player, these delays doesnt matter as much as your internet connection and mainly your trained brain and muscle memory. Unless you play on toaster, all of this doesnt matter much.

Yeah but then you're intentionally gimping you gpu's' max performance
Gsync and 60-144fps is still better than wasting your GPU on 60fps locked
I mean shit, you didn't "pour money into your GPU" for 60fps did you?

I hate both screen tearing and vsync. G-sync was well worth the extra cost for me.

>max performance
If you mean maximum power consumption then yes.

Currently I play Witcher 3 and it is 1440p@60fps and gpuz claims it is ~90% usage of my 1070 around 60ºC. And getting 1080 and gsync would make my PC double the cost.

So it all goes down to how much money you have to spare. I would rather buy new gpu every few years than to go full in no lag 140fps land and then be poor :-D

I wish I could see in some shop some 120+ fps material in action but now only the 4K meme is being pushed to normie so until I actually see difference I will stay in 60 meme land.

What about non Witcher games?
Because you know a 1080 can't do well enough to use vsync past 60hz on Witcher either
My 1070 gets 60-144fps in all games, sometimes it's locked 144, sometimes it swings from 90-120fps, sometimes (like Witcher) it barely goes past 70fps
That what gsync is for, so I don't have to lower 80% of the settings just to reach a good (AND consistent) enough fps to be using vsync, I can leave it wobbling at 90-120fps instead of gimping it at 60fps

I play games with a few years delay so I can enjoy 80% sales and patched up games possibly with good mods. So i cant tell you really, all of it (gta4, aow3, bioshock series, other) is on 60fps and sometimes even the fans dont start spinning at all in older games.

>swings from 90-120fps
See even when you pour a lot of money, the perfection still isnt there :-D

But with gsync, that is perfection, that is exactly matching my fps to my monitors Hz, at whatever video settings I like, and it all looks acceptable, even down to 30fps it still looks fine. Personally I think anything past 100 is sufficiently fast enough for "high-fps" gameplay imo
Dropping from 60 to 30's without gsync starts looking like the classic lag, jagged tearing and stutter, with gsync it looks normal, just "slow"

>90-120fps isn't perfect
Yeah on a 144hz-only screen that's stupid, on a 120hz-only screen that's weak, the point is gsync makes varying framerates okay, that's what gsync is meant to do, make the "imperfect fps" look good

All types of VSync make the graphics card (and some of them the entire rendering pipeline) wait for the monitor refresh. GSync and FreeSync work the other way around - the monitor waits until a frame is ready, then the frame is displayed. Not only does this mean there's no tearing but input lag is also low, since there's no extra waiting for the next refresh period when the frame can be displayed.

GOTTA LOVE THOSE THINLY VEILED SHILL THREADS

I'm so sorry I'll switch "gsync" out for "freesync" in the next op right away sir don't take my rupees!