Why is discord bad again?

Why is discord bad again?

Other urls found in this thread:

feedback.discordapp.com/forums/326712-discord-dream-land/suggestions/17094256-implement-whispersystems-encryption-for-voice-and
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

proprietary botnet

use matrix

>inb4 BOTNET

It's a closed source pretty skin over a set of basic services we've had for years in various incarnations. That's about as much of a 2015-2017+ fad as you can get.

Dude is a fucking crack head. He'll suck your dick for $20 which is a dream come true for you and most of the idiots on Sup Forums.

Clients for nearly no operating systems, and also bad for every reason skype is bad.

Let's sum it up
>centralized service
>shitload of features including file uploads and epic frog meme sharing all of which require storage and bandwith
>free of ads
>free of charge to use
>free to create your own rooms

Who's paying for all of that again?
Oh right, it's a botnet.

And here we can see no one simply states the reason why and just says it's bad.

nonfree

doesn't even have an irc gateway like shitty slack

>Terry even thinking about something unpure
Do you think you can insult God's prophet and get away with it?

Well there's Nitro...

Overlay gets you banned from games by their anticheat.

funny botnet has no cpu consumption or other suspicious properties

Who's paying for it?

Venture capitalists are funding a years-long burndown of investment funds while the company builds a userbase and reputation, until it's able to develop and implement a profitable monetization strategy. Even if this is a losing bet 80% of the time, the 20% of surviving "unicorns" rake in billions back to the investors.

Have you not been paying any attention to the tech bubble of the last seven or eight years?

STILL doesn't permit use of different profile images on a per server basis.

This. Venture funds will keep paying in the hopes that they have found "the next big thing".

>until it's able to develop and implement a profitable monetization strategy

They already did with Nitro. $5 a month for some pointless bullshit and a badge announcing to everyone how long you've been paying for the service everyone else has been using for free.

I'm guessing they'll start charging more for even more pointless features that Mumble has for free.

>proprietary
>shit desktop client
>security issues with said client
>just started trying to make money
>hoard data for potential resell to third party
>run entirely on VC money
The thing is going to burn in a year or two and sell to a big corp and then we'll move to the next big thing.

My gut feeling is that their Nitro subscriptions barely put a dent in operating costs. Nevertheless you're spot on with what you're suggesting. Money grubbing over badges and pointless features is how they'll look to establish a working business model. If they fail to do so before the investment money dries up, they'll either pivot or sell.

it's not the anti cheat. it's you lack of comprehension reading the small prints

So you're trying to tell me that Discord is soon planning to monetize it's service despite the fact that the only reason behind it's popularity are poorfag Sup Forumsedditor children and manchildren who cannot afford a mumble/TS server?

Okay friend

botnet, designed and release with the sole intent of being one

despise the free lunch when it's poison

>implying
Normies are what make things popular, and normies were never going to rent servers for archaic software that doesn't support half the features of this program that they can use for free

>literally a dozen of mumble servers to choose from but friends wanna go with discord cuz muh UI

end this pain Sup Forums

I feel you user.

I'd prefer fucking skype over it really.

Of course it has to plan to monetize. The VCs and angels who sunk millions into it will demand as much. That's how it works.

Before you get condescending, at least ask me whether I think it'll work. The answer is no, for the very reason you suggested. IMO there's a very simple recipe for success and start-ups like Discord only get funded because investors are hedging that simple recipe. Otherwise it's the way that Lenovo, Apple and Slack are all cashing in:

>These days, the way to get ahead is to sell something which is purchased FOR the user, not BY the user.

Businesspeople don't buy the bulk of Thinkpads, the businesses themselves do. Poor students don't buy Apple, their parents do. End users don't buy Slack subscriptions, companies do. Smart money is all in enterprise product licensing/service contracts these days. What else do you see when one of these SaaS startups fall apart even after getting all the sponsored positive PR in the world? Look at Evernote and compare it to, say, Dropbox. Both have loyal userbases but which one inspired corporate confidence? The latter is still "for business" and the former is a rotting corpse.

So yes, Discord is planning to monetize. Of course it is. And I strongly doubt it's going to succeed in its current incarnation. My bet is that they eventually pivot to compete with Slack and Skype for Business in the corporate VoIP/chat market. At least then they have deep pockets to reach into. Plus the sunset on Hangouts leaves a little room for them to squeeze in their existing architecture.

it's not unless you're severely autistic

>unironically recommending skype

your emotions are getting the better of you

Even Skype supports video and image embedding, which are the kind of features that normal people appreciate.

>Chromium
>Font rendering

I'm not recommending anything.
Just saying that If I were forced to choose one to contact a friend I would pick skype.

Why doesn't IRC update the standards so we can have more advance features like discord?

>muh UI
But Discord's UI is fucking awful. Why do people like it ?

Because there's no reason to use such an archaic protocol in light of modern services?

it's decentralized and free in both money and botnet influence.

The only thing I dont get what these guys are doing is how they are marketing and designing it for "LE GAMURS" only.

I actually like it but none of my normie Skype/Kikebook friends are gonna download it, make an account and move over because they dont know what the fuck it is.

Because those features need hardware and software support. Even something like logging message history requires a means for storing that history and feeding it back to a user at a later date. Rather than mandating such support, it's left to channel owners and users to cobble it together themselves.

See Also, emoji, ease of access to bots, far fewer clicks needed to employ most functions, official mobile apps.

So it's unmonetizable?
That's why.

why anyone would willingly choose skype blows me away. It is the most insecure software known to man.

I've used many instant messaging programs in my life and I think Discord is the best application for it.

Normal people are scared of IRC. They don't want to type in advanced commands such as /nick or /quit. They need everything to be in button form with avatars. I wish I was joking.

Then design a client that runs these commands for you when you press a button.

How dare people feel a need to communicate without depending on antiquated interfaces that aren't used anywhere else?
The fucking nerve of these people

le gamurs lack common sense
easier targets for advertisers

Features such as ?
The only thing I can think of that's "missing" from IRC compared to Discord is VoIP.

>it may collect every bit of my information including all my sent and received messages and files but by golly does it look neat!

VoIP was exactly what I was referring to sorry. Any maybe mandating the use of embedded videos and pictures in clients idk.

this
less actual communication, more dank maymays and noise

what the fuck does designing a modern irc client have to do with discord

>oh no, they'll get the email I never use and some hentai pictures
what will I do

Usability is of far, far higher importance to a normal user than the privacy of their everyday gossip. That shouldn't be a surprise to you.

Terry said oral is okay even for homosexuals.

This.

>well, it's been 3 years, what data do we have?
>it seems like we've got a whole bunch of email addresses from @cock.li and an ungodly amount of homosexual roleplaying
>maybe we can sell it to bad dragon or something

I could understand if the commands actually were difficult to remember, but the most commonly used commands are incredibly straight forward. /join #channel is about as basic as it can get.

What would be nice is if there was a clean, lightweight, hybrid client. IRC-style commands for people who are used to them, and shiny retard-proof buttons for people who can't retain information or are unwilling to learn new things. I believe that giving the user options is the best thing to do and there are too many developers who aren't willing to go the extra mile to do that.

Embedding shit is down to the individual client, and there shouldn't be any set standard for it. But there are clients that have been able to embed pictures and video for a very long time.
KiwiIRC in particular comes to mind, though iirc hexchat can be configured to do it as well.
I'm not sure if either of the two can support dragging a picture onto it, hosting it somewhere, and then posting it in a channel, though this too would be a client-side matter more than something for the IRC server or protocol to handle. One could make a client that will upload [file] on drag and drop to a cancer free host and post a link to it in a given channel, which other clients can then choose to embed.

AIN'T BROKEN
DON'T FIX IT

keep this rule at heart, one day maybe you'll stop being a raging faggot

but Discord does it already.

> /join #channel is about as basic as it can get.
It's not as basic as just
Clicking on the channel name
Mice aren't THAT new, y'know

this
it's also easier with a mouse to just drag and drop all your favourite crazy pictures and videos to show your friends

they just swipe that shit from the server

Mainstream IRC network have over 40 thousand channels.

typing /join is easier than scrolling through a massive list of them and clicking.

reading this post just gave me intense dejavu- did you say the same thing in another discord thread?

Discord servers don't.
One 'server' = one community. That's just sensible and intuitive.

Windows desktop client is a resource devouring POS

it's bad because it's not end 2 end

vote this

feedback.discordapp.com/forums/326712-discord-dream-land/suggestions/17094256-implement-whispersystems-encryption-for-voice-and

>if there is too harsh of encryption for voice it will start to lag the server and then people will start to sound like robots
this guy sounds like a real hackerman

Who pays for all of that again?

who gives a shit its free.

i dont know who pays for slackware development but I use it anyways

>it's free

lol

>reading discord's privacy policy
Christ.

It is clearly a Facebook killer. Instant messagung,private messaging,images.

It is made to siphon more info via real time then delayed Facebook posts

There's wire for that.

Pretty much any graphical IRC client does that. Often in easier ways than the retarded settings dialogs of Discord.

The only times I've typed IRC commands in the near past were for XDCC and registering with NickServ.

Of course, IRC lacks voice chat, but there are existing options for that. Then again, there were existing options for everything WhatsApp has, and still all the normies somehow latched on to WA back then.

DELET THIS

It's slack (which is awful) for talking to gamers (even worse)

That shit auto added my steam account without any premission from me.
>You may give us premission to collect your information
>You may