MULTISEAT LINUX

I use ASTER on windows 7 to split ONE pc into TWO work stations
For example one PC can i have
>its own user login
>its own keyboard/mouse
>its own monitor
>both times, so it acts exactly like 2 separate PC's

Now...how is something like this possible on linux? I understand Xorg is just a standalone server, how could I run 2 xorg sessions with different users and make Linux act like two completely separate PC's, on one desktop?

Is it even possible..lol?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xorg_multiseat
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg_multiseat
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Stop doing that retard. Just what kind of poorfag are you?

Forgot to mention, ONE AMD graphics card, and hopefully not 3 days of custom tinkering.

Is there software similar to ASTER for linux?

>inb4

lol useless OS for hobbyists

Its extreemly convienent. Oh I forgot theres no such thing as 'convienence" in Linux

Why do people use this crap OS again?

I love how anytime linux is obviously lacking in features or missing crucial software the general response of gnumales / linux fanboys is "LOL POORFAG"

or "OH WELL GET OVER IT"

fucking insanely bad OS desu

btw, "poorfag" despite using a completely FREE os

I lol'd. you'd think Linux is the Poorfag choice? oh wait it is, thats why only third world shitholes use linux as a main OS

LMFAO

>heres some really useful software for Windows I wonder if linux has an alternative
>Nope, stop using it.

linuxfags general

Ignoring all the idiots who don't know the answer but feel like posting anyway...

You can configure a separate X screen for each output. Page on ArchWiki, but it should work on any distro if you install the equivalent packages: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xorg_multiseat

You can also have a headless X server, and have 4 shit PC thin clients that connect over the network. This is more costly, but you can use any piece of trash PC as the thin client.

>all the idiots
There were 2 IP's before you posted; OP throwing a tantrum and

If the video card has two monitor outputs then you can run a separate x instance on each monitor. The keyboard and mouse stuff will require a custom Xorg.conf with the keyboard and mouse devices hard coded for each instance.

If you only have one monitor you can still do it, but google probably won't help a lot

two monitors, two keyboard/mouse

im looking for specific information on what to do?

>Is it even possible..lol?
Yes.

Read. If that's not specific enough, read wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xorg_multiseat
If you're asking people to do your work for you, at least list your computer's setup so that people can.

All the information im finding mostly seems like yo need TWO GRAPHICS CARDS / need to buy an $80 piece of hardware.......?

what the fuck, why? it works fine in windows?

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg_multiseat
this is rediculous

> windows
> literally install a program and get it up and running within 15 minutes

>linux
>spend 7 days straight configuring a half broken system / hack hybrid to barely function

n-no thanks

>lol why arent you using linux??????

D R O P P E D

>It is possible to use only one videocard
Read.
If you want people to help you, you should probably not throw a tantrum when they ask you to help them help you.

>windows
install some proprietary software that beats the system into submission to do things it wasnt designed to do
>linux
edit the config to make the system do what you want

if you can't figure it our from the wiki article you should get more comfortable with Linux first. That's not an insult, it's genuine advice. Linux is not a Google-download-install kind of experience like Windows.

Read the fucking article.

>It is possible to use only one videocard which has dual heads (like most nvidia cards will have), but this has some limitations: you have to use Xephyr on the second monitor which seems quite a messy solution from what I've read, and for optimal usage both screens need the same resolution.

nah i dont really care anymore, i'm mostly just seeing how viable linux is as a daily operating system, it's not.

anytime I think of something useful or good to have on linux it ends up being a week long affair that I should literally be getting paid to do.

So yeah i'm not really looking for advice, I see the wiki page. It's a pile of hacky bullshit meaning you basically have to program your own software to get it to barely function

It's gay. No thanks. linux is a waste of time.

Some people isn't capable to read large documents. Don't make fun of disabled. Thank you!

t. user

I get it, you waste dozens of hours of your life getting basic software to work in the same vein as windows software. That does not make you superior. You are actually kind of a loser for wasting so much time. It's almost like you actually have no valuable work to do.

>It is possible to use only one videocard which has dual heads (like most nvidia cards will have), but this has some limitations: you have to use Xephyr on the second monitor which seems quite a messy solution from what I've read, and for optimal usage both screens need the same resolution.

literally aka

"uhh i dunno dude it like barely works you gotta spend like 24 hours searching obscure forums and trial and error over and over breaking your system 25 times in a row until it kind of works...sorta..."

sounds REALLY gay dude.

>week long
You've clearly demonstrated that you can type at above 2 words per minute, so it shouldn't be "week long" at all.
>that I should literally be getting paid to do.
If that's the case, why aren't you paying someone else to do it? Instead you're looking for a download-and-run solution for free.

ok man whats your email i'll paypal you to waste your time to program this obscure software for me and package it nicely in a gui name your price

>you waste dozens of hours of your life getting basic software to work
Nice meme. Didn't configured anything since the last summer on my xubuntu. The pic related configs werks like charm, but utter poorfags who can't afford two shitty nv card are the real losers.

No, you won't. You said you don't want it anymore and are just using the lack of a GUI to shitpost.

>I want this software to work in an extremely specific way that most people don't need or want
>And I don't want to have to learn ANY technical details

I can't read manuals and follow instructions, therefore Linux is bad: The Thread #9999

I still don't understand why we are even promoting Linux or telling people to try it on desktop. It's waste of time in this age. People like OP will gladly exchange their freedom/power for convenience and there's nothing wrong about it, as you can easily profit from them.

Just use virtualization, e.g. proxmox.

holy christ. Op is a massive retard.

I actually expected some incredible workaround that was in Linux ages ago. Disappointed it doesnt exist, though.

What is as close as can get? Can X run multiple sessions at once?

Well I thought Id be damned if there wasnt a linux solution. Even took to google to verify that there wasnt and C-lo and behold, there is.

It can run multiple sessions by default. Ctrl+F7/F8/F9, etc. Now, about dedicated USB devices for each session - I don't know.

>what is ctrl+alt+$FunctionKey
why do you talk about things you know jack shit about?