/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

>fine watch

Silicon super high beat escapements that aren't unobtanium, when?

Whatcha guys think?

What is the best watch for under 100 dollars?

Just ordered this with a white and blue nato

Looks good man. A little big on you but not too bad i guess

Depends on what you're into, seiko 5's are really nice imo.

Woops meant

Eco drive is a great movement.

Is there like a seiko 5 guide or something I can see a list of all the models but I dont know which one is the best.

The current line all use the same 2 movements, 7s26 and 7s36. Basically the best one is wichever you think looks the best

wear it in good health, Sup Forumsent.

Heyo I won a bid on a quarter repeater chronograph with triple date and moonphase pocket watch movement. For as far as eBay pictures go I think both the base movement, the repeater and tiple date have all their parts intact.
Ill cont. once I get it on my bench

Be sure to show the movement once you get it m8. Got plans to put it in a case?

Im not sure, I think the movement itself is already 42mm, a recased version is gonna be fuckhueg but If i could resell it at a small profit would be cool, and it would be a nice practice in casemaking.
Pic related, you can see the chronograph is missing all important parts.

Hey Sup Forumsuys. I posted about my grandads old ebel in the last thread. I got some pics now.
How much do you think it will cost me to have it fixed?

>you can see the chronograph is missing all important parts.

That's unfortunate. I'd suggest getting replacement parts made, but it's most likely more effort than it's worth.

Looks very cool.
Depends on what needs fixing i guess

The hands seem to be bent upwards, keeping the seconds hand from moving. I think the mechanism itself is intact.

just here to trigger the auto fags.

It shouldnt be too bad then. I'd say 20-40$ depending on how much your watchmaker charges for his services. Go down and ask him user

snibbeti snab

>getting parts made
>not making them yourself
I think its a fairly common ebauche, so I might be able to find replacements for the missing wheels/cams. I might try to reproduce the chronograph bridge myself, it looks pretty feasible.

>$200 if you go to any standard watchmaker today.

>rolex
pfft

Cool. Got any plans to refinish the parts?

>Implying it's hard to drive a stepper motor

Aren't there seiko 5s with 4r36 though
The seiko 5 sports that are a bit more expensive

Probably, but it does take a lot of time and the electroplating is expensive so i'll see what Im gonna do with it once i get it. Pic related is a slavshit movement I put geneva stripes and perlage on.

There might be i'm not sure.
If your the same guy i responded to i think you're missing the point, the "best" seiko 5 is the one you like the most. Its like saying "Whats the best hat in the world?" Its subjective. Just get a watch that appeals to you

I think we should add a pastebin for watches under $100 since that question gets asked 3 times every thread

Or just write:

>poorfag?
Seiko 5 or Vostok

It is always me Seiko 5 or Vostok that is the question.

Most underrated movement finishing.

Seiko 5 is the answer

Why?

i still find hand worked SMD to be more mesmerizing and impressive

They look better

I'm not a fan of how it looks, but at least it's something other than cotes de geneve

Watchsleuth has a seiko 5 finder

This tbqh

>get my first self bought quartz
>stop wearing my mechanicals

It feels good to get detoxified from that overengineered and unpractical meme technology

I just can see chinkshit on that picture.

Quartz: id go with an easy rider or gshock dw5600
Mechanical: seiko 5

Sei-killyourself or Omegle Spergmaster

*easy reader/timex weekender

>Omegle Spergmaster
>under 100 bucks

Kek, where can I get that?

Youre joking, but i guarantee some digital monstrosity with those proportions will hit the market in the next 5-10 yrs

from the 80s pls

hi

It was chinkshit before chinkshit existed, not to mention that's a railroad approved model, meaning it has actual quality.

You just wanted to say omegle spergmaster didnt you

There's that Rololex and Juggalo Lel-Culture

>projecting your regret from buying a shit watch this much

>tfw no Lolex Goyster Perpetual-Butthurt JUST Superlactating Cuckometer Officially Castrated

Not completely watch related but I sanded down the handle of my Opinel and I'm currently refinishing with a shellac polish. I have a bunch of the stuff laying around, way too much for just gluing escapement jewels in place, so I decided to give my knife a watchfag finish.

Cringe.png

haHAA

Stop trying to derail these threads retards. Make your own shit.

>fine sub

Knives are watches user.

Opinel is the Vostok of knives.
Best value possible at a very low price.

but why a knife? your own prick can't do it?

I personally use it to open packages and boxes without needing to use a kitchen knife, no need to be so salty.
It also makes a good outdoors knife.

They do seem to be modded as much as Vostoks.

Indeed, at that price point there's nothing to loose. I'd mod mine but I don't have any experience working with wood myself and since the version I got is painted blue I don't think it's a good idea either.

As soon as I get an acceptable shellac finish I'll do a Vostok + Opinel pic too. Luckily today is Amphibia day for me.

Already there, check the more outlandish designs by Oechslin at Ulysse Nardin.

>The issue is the only mechanical watches requiring servicing today are expensive luxury ones
What? Are Speedmasters considered expensive luxury watches?

Somewhat expensive, yes, but luxury?

>wearing a McDonald's™ Happy Meal toy

Not them, just curious: what functions do you use?

I repair watches and I want to dropkick you in the dick for all the misinfo you crammed in a single post.

Can anyone recommend a decent cheapish timegrapher?

Build one.

What's the lifetime expectancy of a watch? I have my eyes on a 2001 Seamaster that looks in good shape but thats already 16 fucking years and counting.

Chinkshit: one year
Casio: five to ten years without significant wear, then a few decades while looking like shit
Soviet watches and better made Russian Amphibias: 70 years to forever, also parts never run out
Rolex: a few centuries to forever
vintage Omega: see Rolex
Omega co-axial: a few months after missing the recommended service date

This one is neither vintage nor co-axial though (2531.80.00).

Spending "somewhat" large amounts of money on 'wants' is a luxury, yes.

Thanks for correcting me, oh wait.

That's all the time I got for babies like you.

Seiko 5 or Orient Bambino?

bambino is a dress watch. Seiko 5 comes in many styles

also
>checked

Seikillyourself or Orient Bamboozled

So are you one of the pretentious watchmakers that shit on everything that isn't a Swiss meme?

On the contrary dumdum, nip and slav 4 life.

And people do service their old 7025 Seiko 5's, and we do have a lot of movement swaps for Jap quartz, a lot of times people decide to preserve their beat old quartz watch, and have us swap the movement.

Yeah? And how much does that run them?

Do you know what luxury is?
Spending $5k on something that does literally nothing better than a $10 equivalent is extreme luxury.

Forever as long as it's serviced regularly and there are parts available.

Won't do the currency conversion, but about 60% of a new gray market S5. They're simply attached to their old S5 and why shouldn't they? I don't like the idea of things as personal as watches being disposable products with limited lifespans.

No. Knives are Knives and watches are watches. This is a watch thread so please fuck the fuck off

You literally can't be any more wrong. Watches are technology, knives are technology, so this means knives=watches.

So back to discussing watches: If the Opinel is the Vostok of sharpwatches than what is the Higonokami? The F-91W?

That some really interesting logic right there user. Does this mean i can tell the time on my knife? No.
>This thread is about the appreciation of watches
Sup Forums is about technology, /wt/ is about watches.
Go make a knife general and stop derailing the watch threads, retard.

>currency conversion
So I'm guessing you're not American? Sorry, but servicing cheap enough to cover less-than-luxury watches is extremely hard to find here. We're all just consumerism whores. See also: Apple.

Seiko 5, obviously. F-91W is a Douk Douk.

>Fuck the fuck off
I like that

A lot of the cost of servicing is simply work hours, so of course it's going to be more expensive in Murrica where wages are higher.

Also everything below ETA 28xx is not worth it from a money standpoint, it comes down to sentiments. Nothing wrong with that really, I've dumped so much in repairing my own vintage 18000 and 21600bph watches that I could have long bought a modern Swiss automatic, even if all my costs are just the materials.

You are wrong. I'm beginning to suspect you're either trolling or just plain stupid.

Oh, you want some knife plus watch pictures?