Prove that linux isn't an endless wasteland of knock-off software. A perpetual amalgam of copycats...

Prove that linux isn't an endless wasteland of knock-off software. A perpetual amalgam of copycats. A never-ending abyss of imitation.

Other urls found in this thread:

spacezero.sourceforge.net
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They wouldn't have to copy them if they did it right in the first place. Seriously it's not that hard to make something multi-platform.

It would be harder to prove you're not a faggot.

Cadence is run on linux. Pretty much the best circuit simulation software available.

EASIER SAID THAN DONE BY THE ASSHOLE THAT NEVER DID IT HIMSELF.

1 FUCKING EXAMPLE TRAMPLES 1,000,000 KNOCK OFF SOFTWARE, 1,000,000,000 limitations and 1,000,000,000,000 copycats

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

no.

>caring about originality
Read some Baudrillard.

I can't.

That guy is full of shit. If he has nothing to offer that is new, then he should have shut the fuck up. What a fucking bitch that guy was. Jesus, I fucking hate hypocritical people.

Linux is a kernel.

>porting shit to linux
>believing that's easy

Let me interject here for a moment. What you call there a kernel is infact GNU/Kernel of Linux minus the GNU. GNU is the rest of the Operating System.

Epic maymay bro.
You know what he's talking about, you dimwitt.

it's more like a dumb-ass wasteland of endless ramifications, each of which works worse than the other one.

there's like half a dozen distros that actually work without you spending an entire week's worth of afternoons on them. the thousand rest are absolute garbage.

>Implying linux isn't a unix knock off

I'm a endless cesspit of memes against linux, but to be perfectly honest, the 99.99% of the reason I do not use it, is because I can not use, because I HAVE to run software on windows required for my job(s).

Give me debian with all the software I have to use, and give them natively, and stable and I would probably run them there.

Most probably. For some of the time at least.

Linux is a kernel.
LibreOffice is not part of Linux.

>freetards resorting to insults instead of proving OP wrong

You can't prove him wrong because you know he is right.

Calc is pure shit, compared to Excel.
I have to use it daily at my office (you know it's free, so ..) and I'm about to fucking resign

They disrespect GUIs so much with their console-only memes, that end up not knowing how to make UIs.

e.g. have you noticed the latest version of KDE? Those people at least TRY to do something modern.

Yet, the sperglords still dismiss as "bloatware". Motherfuckers, KDE Plasma is the only WM that is good.

even if the chance that you aren't just shitposting is below 1%... whats your job and what software do you need ?

It can't be helped. A whole collection of Autodesk products are required. Microsoft Office is definitely required in an official version because I receive others' files. Plenty of other shit of that high level calibre is required to run natively.

OP should prove he is right in the first place.

>Seriously it's not that hard to make something multi-platform.
Maybe if it's designed to be multiplatform since its inception, which the majority of shit was not. And since EVERYTHING is built off old-ass legacy code, that's not going to change any time soon.

2 kinds of Sup Forums op's, the ones that understand UNIX & LINUX, and those that just don't fucking get it. Fucking winflakes.

Linux
Is
Not
Unix
X (two dicks touching, it means you're a faggot)

Grub, the kernel itself, kde, gnome, minimalistic DEs, tiling WMs, c and c++ coding tools. This is only what I used.

>i love dicks

Linux is so limited, MS itself adopted it as a unix-like subsystem for the of their own users.

BUNCH OF BASIC STUFF THAT CAN'T COMPLETE THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE. Besides, they are not even that amazing. GNOME is utter shit. KDE Plasma seems good though, modern.

MS is not a collection of autistic sperglords from Sup Forums. They know when they are beaten. They know when to adapt.

The dick only makes it better. Girls poop

Everyone praises Blender, but I find the software to be counter-intuitive. But the good software, Maya, is on Windows.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

release dates;
StarOffice (the codebase libreoffice comes from): 1985
Microsoft Office: 1990

(oh, and before someone goes "but word is from 1983!", yea, but that didn't get a windows version until 1989, it was originally only for Microsoft's UNIX system, Xenix)

>guy argues originality is pointless
>criticise him by saying hes not original
??

Blow it out your ass pajeet. You India niggers have shilled windows for too long.

>But the good software, Maya, is on Windows.
And MacOS and Linux.

Well... what do you know. Get Adobe Premiere over and I never will need to touch Windows again!

Libreoffice is a fork of Openoffice which was a product of Oracle. It has nothing to do with Linux. Also, I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Show me the Microsoft version of cowsay.

If libre office was copying ms office, it would be good.

Theres your proof that they arent.

Kys

The best IC design tools are almost only work on linux.

>Prove
Who are you, little shit, to think you can use an imperative here?
In any case your question -proves- you know nothing about the history of computers - you're just that, another ignorant little shit on Sup Forums.

this triggers freetards

What does this mean?

AHAHAH

HAH

HAHAHAH
HAHA

AHAHA

When the fuck are you retards going to get over this "Adobe is the only professional software vendor" autism?

Linux has Lightworks and DaVinci Resolve, used in the Batman movies, O Brothers Where Art Thou, etc. Linux has Siemens NX. Linux has Krita and Inkscape. Linux has Bitwig, Ardour, and Mixbus. Linux basically dominates the technology infrastructure market.

No, it's not for everybody. That's not even close to true. However, you'd be a fucking retard to pretend that there's no useful software.

>Bitwig, Ardour, and Mixbus
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>Linux has Lightworks and DaVinci Resolve, used in the Batman movies, O Brothers Where Art Thou, etc. Linux has Siemens NX. Linux has Krita and Inkscape. Linux has Bitwig, Ardour, and Mixbus. Linux basically dominates the technology infrastructure market.

>mfw he actually compared Bitwig to Cubase, Logic, S1
Even if Bitwig was on par.. find me a Melodyne/VariAudio, Omnisphere, Serum or Kontakt alternative on Linux.. oh wait, shit you can't.

literally never heard of any of those besides lightworks

At least I can jump to OpenOffice (yes its still being developed, although a tad slow) after LibreOffice goes full retard with its autistic user interface.

DaVinci Resolve is for color grading. Commercial licensing is stupid fucking expensive so you don't see it much.

Siemens NX is a high end CAD program. It clocks in at around $10,000 a seat, so 99.9% of Sup Forums will obviously never see it.

Krita isn't the best, but is fairly good for drawing if you're that kind of faggot. Inkscape is the same for vectoring.

Bitwig, Ardour, and Mixbus suffer from not having VST support, which might be an issue if you are a professional preset operator, but is fine if you have outboard and and know how to place a microphone.

Bitwig is easily the weakest out of the three.

Kontakt, Serum, Melodyne, etc. are situational. You'll find plenty of people who have no need to use them or even refuse to use them on principle.

Again, it's not for everybody, but there are people that could (and do) comfortably work with it.

I'm triggered that someone uses WinRAR in 2017.

You can't seriously produce music on Linux. At least not in a modern way. You'll miss too many things like M/S Linear Phase EQ's.. multiband compressors that aren't cancerous to handle and many other creative plugins. I mean I could also produce music with an Analog Sampler but that's just the past and I would never go throuth that pain again.

WinRAR extracts faster. I've tested it myself.

CC actually runs flawlessly on wine

wjy are you in every thread?

no it does not. No hardware acceleration, which is crucial for me.

This his how Linux users are:

>Windows/Mac user comes along and complains about lack of Music Producion software on Linux
>Freetard who never produced music starts googling "DAW for Linux" and replies with "you're wrong. Bitwig, Ardour"
Retards..

you're wrong. Bitwig, Ardour

Is this Windows 10 or 8.1?

For casuals probably yes.
For pros probably now.

mac is device
linux is a kernel
windows is malware

tl;dr gtfo normie

ya wincucks and macfags are retarded.

you make it sound like linux is inferior to "UNIX"

well maybe if you weren't underage and actually ever use proprietary UNIX you would realize how much better Linux is.

hell, any of the BSDs are better than fucking AIX, z/OS, HP-UX, or whatever bullshit UNIX bullshit you can throw.

I've got a hard-on for outboard because it's cheap if you're making it yourself and I'm a sucker for pain. Plenty of other people are too, and there's a shitload of geezers who can't be bothered to learn anything else. In that use case, Ardour does the job. I've used it and although it could use some work, you could make it happen.

If you do electronic music, which by the sounds of it, seems to be your field, you are fucked when it comes to Linux.

linux is a kernel you dumb fuck

If Microsoft office, with a fully featured excel and one note, worked on Linux. I would NEVER go back to windows

the fuck are you on about?

no shit?

I'm not talking about GNU coreutils, though those are better than fucking any proprietary UNIX coreutils as well.

I just wish OS X came on affordable and decently powered systems.

I've got too much sense to throw thousands at something that's worth hundreds

Jobs that require to use office advanced features are wage slave tier shit and have nothing to do with technology.

Hackintosh.

One word
spacezero.sourceforge.net

>knockoff
more like an improvement

get fucked winbabby

And yet every attempt at replicating Apple's biosphere ends up in confusion, wreckage and disillusion.
As long as you have engineers designing GUIs and sales people designing hardware you'll have the same result.
Linux fanboys, with their 2% of the desktop, wander around mumbling my_reality_distortion and calling the 7% that are Mac-users "sheep", are ignoring the truth for convenience.

>Hackintosh.
As long as design doesn't mean anything to you.
As long as you are prepared to put up with a degraded experience.
But then, you're Linux users, this is normal for you.

>degraded experience
how so?

You don't get to prematurely aggravate your arthritis as much by typing on a keyboard with so little travel, each keystroke would send shockwaves of pain through your fingers.

Libre office is not really a knock off

think of it as a "fork" or "implementation"

What about the DOS versions?

>Bitwig, Ardour, and Mixbus
haven't heard of these, how do they compare to LMMS?

You're fucking embarrassing

>this triggers krauttards

Friendly reminder to report, close and move along.

Linux is great because its free. Well, not actually free. It has a license that governs what you can do with it. So its not completely free, just doesn't cost money. Unless you buy a distro that does cost money.

That's the great thing about Linux, the definition of words changes when you are talking about it.

Another great thing about Linux is that it is based off of shit that was used to solve the problems of decades ago.

See, people know how to do shit back then. These days we don't. So we should always do things like they did 20-30 years ago.

GUIs for everything. Who fucking needs that. A case sensitive command line works just fine. And once you memorize all of these none standard commands, it because easier then just having it laid out in front of you in a convenient graphical format. Millions of years made us visual creatures, but Linux knows better. That is why its so great, it can defeat evolution.

Not only does Linux change the meaning of words and defeat evolution:

It also is very flexible. You can do whatever you want with it. If it doesn't do something you need, you can just write a program that will do it. Of course, you can do that for any OS, but with Linux you can start using other peoples programs because they are open source.

Well, not all of them are open source. Some of them are. Not all of them are free, but some are.

Or if you need Linux itself to do something it doesn't, you can just change the fucking OS to do it.

Linux is so great, because you need a degree in Computer Science and Computer Engineering to make it be able to deliver on its promises of being open and flexible.

You shouldn't need a PHD to operate you computer. But if you spend enough time with Linux you will realize that the programmers who have written much of it didn't either. Linux is great because it defies logic and common sense.

>our hypocrisy is exposed
>censor it

> (OP)
>It would be harder to prove you're not a faggot.

I hate that the only choices are using some cheap gui or spending years tinkering with obscure gnu rituals. I like the idea of a gui but the ones around today are just so dogshit that I can't do much real work with them. If there was some way of properly marshaling data around in a visual format then I would jump on it in a heartbeat but for now I guess I'm just stuck with unix pipes. A better way to go about it would be something closer to bluebottle os's infinite screen format with a cli overlay that you can turn on and off. We need to move past the 70's with our dumbass WIMP interfaces.

No really it's porting to Windows that's the pain.
You write a nice POSIX program with portable constructs, easy as piss to make available on Linux/Mac.
But Microsoft, in all their monopolistic brilliance, decided to make it extremely hard to write portable applications, hoping to force people to Windows only. So if you want Windows and non-Windows, you basically have to write two different programs. Anything short of that requires a goddamn amazing abstraction layer.

>memegenerator

This is actually a pretty good post. I've been using a XPS 13 from 2012 and have been using Ubuntu since Windows 10 wrecked it. I got an Inspiron today from work and holy fuck did I miss windows. I do miss the customization though.