"Humble Software Bundle"

Who exactly is this targeted at?

Off the bat 5 seconds on Google will get you superior alternatives to Daemon Tools (ImDisk+ImgBurn) and Dashlane (KeePass, etc).

Other urls found in this thread:

backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-benchmark-stats-2016/).
youtube.com/watch?v=lTT-v7bwJsI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Senior citizens who are "good with computers".

My dad is all about securing his computer with all kinds of convenient programs with names like Spybuster 2000 and cookieshredder unlimited.

How is that working out for him?

I just take away admin rights on my parents' computers, they complain until I tell them it's the only thing keeping it working.

I used to buy all the programing/hacks book bundles from there but for now i waiting for someone to torrent their last "hacks" bundle coz im out of money. I know i can find them one by one but eh

this whole bundle is dumb, blackblaze is really cheap to begin with and the time it would take for me to upload anything takes forever. Systam Mechanic is liuke tune up, makes your pc slower nothing more, wtf is that 3DMARK shit. and Deamon tools is nice, but meh. Also why buy that password manager when keepass is free and even lastpass is now free with premium features.

Gotta mesh with the PC dudebro gamer crowd to sell software?

I get it that they need some candy for the gamer crowd but the last thing i need are people who now want to argue that there i7 is the best for Counterstrike because they ran some consumer cheap as dirt benchmark software.

>pay for a program you will use once in a PC's lifetime to benchmark your PC in order to measure your epeen
>include 3 variants of the same crap in there because why not
>implying there are not a fuckton of free variants

Windows Experience Index was the last good benchmark software.

>good
>double opteron 8435, 2x 6 core, 2,6Ghz
>its okay
>32 gigs of ram
>meh
>shitty constantly overheating piece of crap zotac gtx 560 ti amp edition
>OH MY FUCKING BALLS NUMETA

Don't forget how if you had a hard drive, you couldn't get more than a 5.5 ish score which was complete ballocks.

3DMark and the other *Marks are benchmarks and probably the best value of the bundle
But they have free add in free beer versions with most of the features they have

>humble bundle
YEAUH NIKKUH FUGHKK DAHNALD TRUHMBP

holy fuck that backblaze trailer

Just seeing that preview image..

New ringtone, thanks

I like the concept.

Commercial proprietary software is usually a lot better than FLOSS stuff, after all.
Photoshop > GIMP
Sublime > vim
Sketch > inkscape
Dash > manpages
etc

If good software is free, it's usually because it's developed by a large corporate and releasing it for free is in their better interests. I.E Xcode is free and (mostly) good so that devs are attracted to iOS. VirtualBox is free so that people are attracted to the Oracle virtualisation ecosystem. Jetbrains provided Android Studio, a variant of IDEA, for free so that people would realise how much better it is than Eclipse and consider other jetbrains products in future. Chrome is free to encourage people into the google ecosystem, collect demographics data, etc. Linux, GNU tools, LLVM etc are free-as-in-freedom but they are also very useful for commercial entities for reasons other than direct sale, so they attract real paid work by commercial entities.

Truly free software, where there is no commercial incentive for anyone to improve it, is generally trash. This includes basically any GUI-based desktop software.

So a bundle containing good commercial software at one good price would be very interesting. Unfortunately most of this stuff isn't very useful. And a lot of is subscription so it's basically just a first-year discount. Fuck that.

>3DMARK
I'd definitely buy it for $6.
It's well worth it if you're into benchmarking, overclocking, stability testing etc.

The other shit can go fuck itself.

The EaseUS partitioning thing is worth $1. It's better than the free version. Backblaze is a decent backup solution from a company that publishes interesting research on HDDs (e.g., backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-benchmark-stats-2016/). I wouldn't use it myself because you cannot tell it to not back up all the things.

Are you even trying Seagate?

>EaseUS partitioning
Better than just using the OS native tools? Disk Utility etc?
> Backblaze
It's a subscription for 6 months... they're basically just offering a signup offer.

>Who exactly is this targeted at?

the kind of people for whom PC mean "a computer running Windows".

>this post
literally obsessed

>EaseUS
I've never used it, is it any better than GParted on ?

But three (3) lifetime licenses for Daemon Tools!
What a steal!

>Better than just using the OS native tools? Disk Utility etc?
It isn't for macOS, only Windows. On Windows I've run into problems with Disk Management being unable to move/shrink/whatever a partition that third-party tools handled just fine.
Only in some small ways. The main benefit is not having to reboot. I have a license but on new PCs I usually just boot into Linux anyway instead of EaseUS' WinPE. It can also do shit like fix Windows boot sectors and recover lost partition data, which I guess is nice.

I'd agree with you that most of the time proprietary stuff is better than open source stuff. I find that GIMP is pretty stable and good enough for my needs, but Inkscape is a pain in the ass. It's probably just because I'm on Mac and using it with XQuartz, because my main issues are with multiple monitor support (spawns windows offscreen) and with shortcut keys being bound to control instead of command. The shortcut thing isn't a huge issue, but it shows that Inkscape has had less development time put into it, so it's not truly cross-platform.

I read up on it a bit, it sounds like it does provide some potentially useful features, especially since most Linux distros don't even boot on my desktop (because Nouveau doesn't support Pascal). Can't really go wrong for $1 I guess.

>partition data
Just to be clear, I meant partition table data, e.g., deleted partitions. It doesn't do actual data recovery.

>Photoshop > GIMP
Obviously.
>Sublime > vim
A bit of an apples to oranges comparison. Sublime is a better GUI editor/IDE-lite than (g)Vim because it was built for the GUI. Vim integrates better with the *nix programming environment (consider things like !sort) and can be used where you can't use Sublime.
>Sketch > inkscape
I genuinely prefer Inkscape to every proprietary alternative I've tried.
>Dash > manpages
No opinion, because I haven't used Dash.

youtube.com/watch?v=lTT-v7bwJsI

>Sublime > vim

new Sup Forums essential

Generally the "good free software has ulterior motives" thing is true, but sometimes it's just a company releasing software they've developed for their own purposes into the public. Google has released many tools as open source, as have Facebook and others. Large companies also often contribute to open source projects to improve them for their own use, i.e. Google has contributed a lot to Python development.

How about stacking up the bundle's offerings with free/open source alternatives like OP?

Post it on Sup Forums and report back.

One of the original DT guys said on Doom9 that Daemon Tools was bought-out by a company that threw malware into """free""" versions, made pro versions a little too comfy on your PC with touchy drivers, and flooded torrent sites with loads of fake pro versions that had keyloggers, trojans, and other shit like that to punish anyone thinking they'd get it for free, it's hard to find a cracked version of DT pro that WASN'T fucked in some way back then. It sucks, since DT was one of the best ways to emulate PS1 games that had audio tracks, but now, I wouldn't trust that shit ever

I bought the bundle and I cant figure out where to put the key?

Easus and 3dmark are cool I guess

Not sure if $5 cool. Unigene benchmarks are more comfy and free and I use Linux for any fucked up partitions so I don't really need that shit

>Dashlane (KeePass, etc).
Which is the best? I currently use lastpass but I don't like my data being owned by logmein. I use 1password at work, which seems pretty good on a mac, but I don't know about elsewhere.

I've had no gripe with KeePass personally, having switched to it within the past week.

I also have Keepass2Android on my phone and sync it across devices with Drive (because why not). I don't think it has a web interface like I assume Lastpass does?

$12 for benchmarking shit isnt bad.

my 8350 scored the same at 4.0ghz and 5.0ghz.
Both stable.

ohhh....excuse me for a second.

Seagate has consistently had the worst drives.

>garbage
>pointless
>windows disk management exist
>Win 10 has native image mounting
>robocopy, restore point, previous version
>pointless
>pointless
>pointless
>having a third party remember your password for you

>Doubting password manager
KeePass is great

JUST FIVE BUCKS A MONTH

>having a third party remember your password for you

Not sure if that was just unfortunate wording, but that makes it sound like you only have a single password that you use for everything.

I only have half an idea as to why I burst out laughing.

I want it for the screensharing software.

I was gonna say use them for commercial use, but the Advanced versions of PCMark, 3DMark and all that are Personal Use full versions only. Sucks shit.

Looks like shit, ecept the hard drive partion management software. Also can Sup Forums recommend a software for managing backups?