/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

phys.org/news/2017-02-date-mass-production-timepieces.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What are some good third party straps for an Apple Watch Sup Forums?

Smart watches are not technology and don't belong on Sup Forums. Please kindly fuck off to /fa/ with your smartwatch bullshit, thank you.

EDC is a fucking awful mindset

2 is within +/- 25

Yeah that is the catch. I was not impressed at first, having to give up a total of six lunch breaks to take this watch into the Seiko ARC. Although I also think the one in Toronto is slightly incompetent, I prefer to use another watchmaker generally but didn't feel like paying him for warranty work.

This

Not sure about straps but a strap-on would work nicely

That's pretty rude user. I get that your jealous you can't afford one, but smart watches are the future. Your old watches that can only do one thing are obsolete.

Dad sent me his old Seiko Sports 100.
It has a different bracelet that I'm not fond of.
Thinking of either a rubber strap or a zulu (in black).
Figure a leather band wouldn't look good on this.
Opinions?

Not him but I'm not allowed to have a smartwatch where I work, so for me I'll continue to use a mechanical/digital watch for quite some time.

A leather would be truly disgusting.

Yea, its also beat to hell and back so a brand new leather band would look even more out of place.

Honestly, is like 50% of /wt/ in Southern Ontario or what?

Look at the bright side, once it's out of warranty you can take it to Shane instead.

>return srp773 with misaligned chapter ring
>get sent back one with one slightly less misaligned

Guess the turtle dream is over

Try googling to see if you have any local INDEPENDENT watchmakers and ask them what they would charge to align the chapter ring for you.

It shouldn't cost that much to do, as it isn't that much work.

I'm not really into having to have a $200 watch fixed for $50-100 when it's brand new

Why is your employer such a luddite?

do you guys prefer your watchband to be slightly tight or loose?
It always seems to be one or the other. Having impressions sucks, but having it slide sucks too.

Play shitter games, win shitter prizes.

Fair enough.

just buy a nato strap that you can adjust.

Your wrist expands and contracts during the day. I like it to be tightish, but still comfortable when my wrist is at its biggest, and then looser otherwise.

Allowing it to slide can help keep your wrist cool so you can move it around without it just slammed down against the skin as you sweat against it.

If you wear long sleeve shirts and jackets the watch, even when loose, will generally stay tame and in place.

Who else laying in bed and wishing they were a watch maker?

Maybe I'll quit my job and school and f-follow my dream right haha it'll all be ok

Are there any modern quartz seiko alternatives to that watch?

SKA369 I suppose.

OK guys, I'm about to take the plunge and buy myself a seamaster, but I can't decide which one.

I'm trying to decide between the normal 300, the planet ocean and the liquid metal. As far as I can tell the planet ocean has an updated movement and a nicer looking bracelet for about 25% more, and the liquid metal is another 75%% more for all titanium. Does anyone know if these steep price increases are justified, or is the standard 300 better value overall.

i want a 32.30.42.21.01.001
probably going to pick one up soon
the titanium ones are nice but i think the price is just out of my comfort sone

How are Vostok and how do they compare to the Seiko 5?

My F91 rate changed from -0.2 spd to -1.7 spd, what could have caused this change? I'm not wearing it as often, but I don't think quartz is prone to this heavy temperature variances?

Yeah, the planet ocean is really tempting, little bit extra for the updated movement,but I've read it's a lot better that the 2500, and I like the bracelet way more.

I honestly don't know a lot about quartz, but I think temperature variation may be the largest factor in variable timekeeping for quartz watches. Don't quote me on it.

Thanks for the links bro!

people with loose watches look ridiculous imo.

Fuck the seamaster, get the blue moon speedy instead.

definetly a lovely watch, but limited edtions are not for me, how do you justify paying twice the price of a normal MOTFM?

>tfw ive just found out that my mechanical timex field watch was featured in Platoon

Cool

That is a pretty watch.

How do you guys know about new limited edition watches? Like how do I find out if Seiko is releasing something this year for a limited time?

You just need to follow the blogs i guess. Hodinkee is a good one

i wear my watch a bit looser these days. it still stays on the same place on my wrist, although it rotates a bit sometimes. I adjust it back and forth during the day.

How big is your wrist for refernce and also isn't the alpinist a Lo beat

I've been studying for a while and will finally get my diploma soon. And there's a voice in the back of my head that tells me I will only work in that field for a few years at best, and I should take up watchmaking.
My plan is to start working, and tinker with watches on the side to see how I like it. If, as I expect, the jobs I can get aren't fulfilling, I'll try to get in a watchmaking school after saving up a bit of money.

Depends desu so many models of each
Apples and oranges senpai

Overall I suppose vostoks don't look as clean but are pretty niche so are good in their own right but there are so many seiko 5s

That's Pretry Cool my man I never knew timex made mechanicals

what did you think they made for 100 years before quartz watches existed

"In 1969, ‘5 Sports’ Speedtimer was introduced.
It was the world’s first automatic chronograph."

Wait what?
I could've sworn it was Heuer or Omega or Breitling who made it first

Watches obviously you retard

They used to made mechanicals before the quartz phenomenon started. This was literally their last mechanical model which was initially designed for the US Army in the Vietnam war but they never made to sell it to them since they already were fine with Hamilton and Benrus watches. That's why I got surprised to see my watch on this Vietnam era movie.
This model was also known for being the one mcgyver always wore in the first seasons.
It's a pretty cool little plastic case watch, works fine after so many years considering it was a disposable watch, love it.

Did you take a good look though? Might not be a Timex but a Benrus, Hamilton or any other military-pattern watch. These Vietnam-era field watches were more or less standardized in appearance.

Pretty good, what movement does it have?

Any chance I could buy one ;_;

alternative facts
zenith say they're the first (it's even in the name of their watches to this day)
seiko doesn't claim anything

those three movements came out at pretty much the same time

What is Seiko's counterpart to the Orient Ray?

I want to get a compact dressy diver from Seiko (discrete size 41mm and below)

do you not know what automatic means

Seiko 5 SNZH51/53/55/57/59
Seiko Turtle
Seiko SKX009/007

Of course I do but why would you ask that unless I'm missing somethin obvious

It uses a simple pin pallet movement but it seems to be very reliable, I am not really sure if it's shock resistant though.

You can maybe grab one on eBay by looking for Timex Camper Vintage/Mechcanical but they seem to go for +-$100 which is exaggerated since they were like $25 back in the day. I got mine from a German eBay auction for just 14€ shipped, the seller didn't even know what it was.

Pretty sure it's a Timex Camper mechanical, you can even read Timex and see the wave water resistance logo below. I'm pretty familiar with watches from that era and even if most of them were similar this timex was a bit different. The kind of retangular hands it uses and the seconds hand with the dot is also a hint. The case shape and dark khaki green colour is also unique to this model.

Okay then. I have Platoon in 1080p but could never make out the manufacturer. Maybe mine's a Yify rip or something.

What's the most accurate watch for the money?

your mom

because i've seen your reddit post and a speedmaster isn't automatic, at least not the one that went on the moon

>spergmaster
Its definitely autistic

a used radio controlled digital
anything radio controlled

>Dressy
>Diver
That's not how things work user.

phys.org/news/2017-02-date-mass-production-timepieces.html

Remember, Swiss are the original chinkshit dogshit manure -factures

My grail. Will probably never see it in person though :(

it's been a thing since james bond

Why the fuck not? Seeing a watch isn't that hard. If you really wanted you could have seen the steel 1518 that went to auction.

That doesn't fit his tux.

So I posted a couple weeks ago asking if anyone is southern Ontario had good luck with radio controlled watches. Anyways I imported a nip casio to test it out for the future.

What you can see here is that it was 12:04 when it set itself. That's pretty good considering it starts at 12:00 So if you're wondering about radio controlled in Hamilton area go ahead. I am on top of the mountain tho

I'm the Southern Ontario guy who told you radio sync works fine here. My Casios usually set themselves at 12:04 am as well, glad to hear it's working for you.

Heuer made the first wrist worn chronograph, it would've been had wind though.

Diver and tux fit like wearing a tux with fresh scars on both hands. And a facial expression like you are going to rob the people around you at gunpoint.

I prefer the more refined approach that I believe >58970444 agrees with.

Would be good if the article went a bit more in depth but interesting regardless.

I was thinking about getting that watch, only the green one. How good/bad is it on build quality? Is the case steel or plated brass/plastic? I know the bottom part is plastic.

Also how's the lume and is the crystal mineral or plastic?

I was under the impression it was, sorry lad it's come to my attention that it's hand wound rather than an auto I just forgot pic related
Clearly no rotor present

The SNZF15, but it's an automatic.
Also ebay has a few Sports 100s as well.

The build quality isn't any thing spectacular. The case back is stainless steel and screwed on. The rest of the body feels kinda plasticy or like soft metal. I actually made marks in it when I changed the strap it was that dentable. The lume is great actually and it also has a light button to activate a backlight. I'm pretty sure it was mineral but I'll get back to you, I'm at work atm

Awesome dude

Also, although I make it sound pretty lame, the watch is pretty cool. I'm happy with it and didn't expect incredible build quality for the price

I guess having analog seconds on an electronically set analog watch like that at this price point is a pretty good deal. Not to mention they did the right thing having the date being digital, motorized date disks are fucking awkward and annoying to operate and zero, I know this from changing batteries on a few Citizens like that.

I've scratched a watch pretty hard.

It's acrylic, think I can do something? I heard about a stuff named polywatch.

who cares?
Scratches add character

I know you guys generally don't care about quartz, but how are Mondaine and Skagen?

Theres only 2998 and they're all sold out. I dont care enough to travel just to get a peak desu. Never say never i guess

Both are fucking shit.

Is this 39mm dog too big for an Auschwitz escapee?
Asking to see the maximum diameter I can wear.
Bonus question, when it says on a website the case diameter is 37mm (for example)does that only include the top face of it since the watch I'm wearing becomes 40mm due to a half mm bulge either side

any reason why, or do you just dislike quartz?

They're not shit because of the movements. Get a Casio and you're done.

That looks fine, the sizes given are generally the case size not including the crown.

But Mondaines and Skagens look nicer.

Overpriced quartz shit.

It's not a tiny scratch, it's scratches all over it

Not as nice as vintage Seiko penis quartz watches.

Wabi sabi spergmaster

Debatable.
Entirely different design languages, but fuck that's a nice looking watch. 200% less penisy than a Speedy.

Yeah and theyre overpriced as all hell quartz movements cost less than £5 unless they are sophisticated or historic.

theres more to watches than just the movement, user.
pics?

Go buy your low manufacturing quality dogshit then, consumer-kun.

>hur its quartz so its bad
that's literally the only argument you've given.

No, you ignorant slut, he was pointing out that Mondaines and Skagens are massively overpriced dogshit because they are made as cheaply as humanly possible in China and market up massively to pawn off on suckers like you.

High quality fairly priced quartz watches exist. Casio, Seiko, Citizen and others make reasonably quality and valued quartz watches.

No, it's bad because they tend to use the cheapest quartz movement available and charge far too much for the watch.