Talk of tech innovation is bullsh*t. Shut up and get the work done – says Linus Torvalds

>"The innovation the industry talks about so much is bullshit," he said. "Anybody can innovate. Don't do this big 'think different'... screw that. It's meaningless. Ninety-nine per cent of it is get the work done."

Other urls found in this thread:

theregister.co.uk/2017/02/15/think_different_shut_up_and_work_harder_says_linus_torvalds/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

theregister.co.uk/2017/02/15/think_different_shut_up_and_work_harder_says_linus_torvalds/

Linus is obviously a very gifted developer and project lead, but his life's work is a monolithic kernel for *nix clones. Its design is firmly rooted in 1970s state of the art. I wouldn't trust his opinion about innovation one way or another.

"innovation" and doing things "different" is reinventing the wheel 90% of the times. Just look at macOS.

>"innovation" and doing things "different" is reinventing the wheel 90% of the times.
When the alternative is Unix, it is worth the effort.
>Just look at macOS.
How does macOS reinvent the wheel? It's a bog standard 1980s workstation OS updated for the 21st century.

>said the man who just copied Unix in his basement

"Copied" is a very odd way to spell "completely and utterly BTFO'd"

What work is he referring to?

If you can automate something you will and we're reaching profound levels of automation

The only work there is with programming is basically scheming and figuring out what you want to accomplish

It wasn't even a unix. Thank God.

let's not bullshit

everyone wanted free Unix and that's what Linux is

Based Linus.

macOS has do nothing innovative all they do is change the ui

minux

>Linus is obviously a very gifted developer and project lead, but his life's work is a monolithic kernel for *nix clones. Its design is firmly rooted in 1970s state of the art. I wouldn't trust his opinion about innovation one way or another.
Tell me whose opinion I should trust. Because what Linus is doing is outing the bullshit artists that make people believe there is some shortcut when there isn't and the fact is everything is 99% work.

And, lot of things that are considered today's big innovations had their roots set decades ago. Artificial neural network were 50's innovation. After that it has been just work. Companies that people consider "innovative" work on ANN. VR too, the innovation happened decades ago now it is just work.

>"All that hype is not where the real work is," said Torvalds. "The real work is in the details."

Linus could choose to join the hype crowd and mask the 70's OS design as innovation but he doesn't. I mean he could join some vc and start evangelizing some new OS startup, I'm sure no matter what they actually did, they would collect huge amounts of venture capital with it.

>Tell me whose opinion I should trust.
Trust? I don't know, but to get some perspective on operating systems I'd read Douglas Engelbart (NLS), Andrew Tanenbaum (Minix), Dominic Giampaolo (BeOS), C. Guy Yarvin (Urbit) and Ken Thompson and co. (Plan 9). On innovation in general? I think Peter Thiel has it right: we've stagnated.
>Linus could choose to join the hype crowd and mask the 70's OS design
I agree that would be really unfortunate if he did. But hype and doing the same old Unix thing aren't the only two alternatives.

>C. Guy Yarvin (Urbit)

Good thing America will be guinea pigs for the rest of Europe for this experiment, most people here don't begin give a shit about botnet cars.

considering population (and car) density, Europe would be the one place where botnet cars are most likely to become mandatory at some point in time.

Too much people here like driving stick, you can't get them to switch to automatic, much less switch to a self-driving one.

>like driving stick
It's more about prices.

The difference between AT and MT on new cars is tiny, even here.

It's a shame really.
Self-driving cars would probably cut down so many car accidents. Yet people will refuse it for many decades because of "muh enjoyment".

Not really. Manual is the norm, so that is what is standard. Automatic is non-standard and costs more. But if it was the other way around, automatic would be cheaper.

The point of life is "muh enjoyment", I won't trade my driving for anything.

Driving is a mean of transportation. You're traveling from A to B. Trying to spice it up with the driving itself is so stupid. It is destructive to the environment. Potentially endangering not only yourself but a lot of others.
You're not even pursuing it as a hobby. Not taking proper safety measurements and driving on specifically built tracks.

Meanwhile, in a self-driving car, or public transportation, you could pursue something you actually enjoy. Reading. Programming. Shitposting. Drawing.

>Driving is a mean of transportation.
It's also a means of enjoyment, just because you're scared of cars or hate driving doesn't mean others are, get your head out of your ass, I don't give a fucking shit about the environment as long as there's dozen of different industries polluting it, my car is a drop in the ocean.

Look, user.
I can enjoy skinning cats and your opinion on it might as well be dust on the ground.
It's simple, people like different things, your source of fun seem to be telling complete strangers what's best for them, hope it turns out well for you.

God damn, user.

>my car is a drop in the ocean
Do you also not vote? After all, your vote is a drop in the ocean. No way you'll make a difference.

Yes, yes, EVERYONE MATTERS.

Cute user, I'll vote if there's someone worth voting for, a rare thing for any country, I know. Otherwise no.

>Road crashes are the leading cause of death among young people ages 15-29, and the second leading cause of death worldwide among young people ages 5-14.
Yeah, really great fun. In fact, most of the time driving you're not even happy. No, you are eitehr indifferent because normal driving is still kinda boring. (Driving slower/worse cars is just less fun, but you're not having much fun either way.)
And you repeatedly get furious because you have to slow down because of a red light, or someone in front of you being slower than you.

Tell me about myself more user, you seem to know your stuff.

> his life's work is a monolithic kernel for *nix clones
Which is "the" most used kernel in mankind's computers, yes.

Smartphones, embedded devices, servers, supercomputers, every god damn thing that comes to mind other than the majority of desktop computers runs it.

Even in 2017 nothing is looking like it'll replace it - if anything, it'll just get more devices running it. So it's very much the kernel of 2017, too.

> Its design is firmly rooted in 1970s state of the art.
It's still the 2017 state of the art. Feel free to do some pure FP, modular, super amazing kernel if you can. But nobody actually really can with any feature completeness despite having access to open sauce kernels that they can use or reimplement clean room style.

> I wouldn't trust his opinion about innovation one way or another.
Who the fuck do you trust then? Anyone else come to mind who -by sheer competence and skill- got his kernel into a few billion devices, including national supercomputers and the big web server deployments and the big database deployments, the cloud, and most smartphones? No?

Well, maybe you should review your stance. Dude has excellent insight into making actual software work very, VERY well as both engineer and manager.

Are you sure you should be allowed to drive? Getting mad at every red light or slow driver isn't very good for you, user.

Found the retard

>driving is a means of enjoyment
Once self-driving cars are mature enough and proven to be safer than human-operated ones, insurance and/or tax rates for the enjoyment of operating 1.5 metric tonnes of steel in motion using low-capacity, high-latency, error-prone human brain will be $BIG_FUCKING_NUM, making it a niche richfag hobby.

Good thing by the time that happens I'll be old and senile.

He is able to say that because he's working in the domain where doing it is much more important than anything else. It's not so for UI designers and many others when things between the best and the worst get a bit blurry.

Not to mention there are a lot of issues with Linux too.

*Minix

Cute.

>he's working in the domain where doing it is much more important than anything else.
He's working in a domain of "already solved problems"
the Systems development "problem" has been solved since the days of Plan9/windows NT

But honestly innovation only comes after work. If you put too much emphasis on innovation, you end up making chimerae because you're just meshing together a lot of "new" and "modern" and "intuitive" shit together for the sake of innovation itself.
Innovation for the sake of itself is a mistake, often leading to overwhelming complexity because you don't understand the problem, or the solution, well or at all sometimes.
UNIX did a lot of innovation back in the day, but it was only possible because people put work into it.