Never used Linux before and am looking to give it a try...

Never used Linux before and am looking to give it a try. What is the best way to try it out on my current windows pc and what is the best flavor to use for a beginner?

>pic not related

Other urls found in this thread:

virtualbox.org/
distrowatch.com/
sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/first-xubuntu
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Make a liveUSB with Rufus, and then boot from that USB into linux.
I recommend Xubuntu.

-virtualbox
-wubi for ubuntu
-burn live cd
-install on separate partition for dual boot

install gentoo

>-wubi for ubuntu
unsupported
>soon

Also purge the cuck os and use non meme linux.

Just dump a live iso onto a USB and reboot. No strings attached. There are dozens and dozens of distros that you may try like that.

Any ubuntu(how i started) or linux mint is just fine for starters

elementaryOS

it just werks

If only. Last couple times I tried it, I'd get random service crashes while just sitting there reading a loaded web page. It's amazing how much time they've spent making an unstable MacOS ripoff.

its just a ubuntu DE

works flawless for me ... not a single issue with it

really great

Strangely I'm now running Ubuntu on that same machine and it's been rock solid from day one.

Maybe it's because I put 0 for the donation amount and they directed me to a gimped version for download.

>best way to try it out
USB live distro or LiveCD/DVD.
>what is the best flavor to use for a beginner
Fedora, or Debian.

Download and install VirtualBox
>virtualbox.org/
Download ISO images of the most popular linux distros
>distrowatch.com/
Try out the different distros using virtualbox
I would start off with Mint, Ubuntu and maybe Debian

>Never used Linux before and am looking to give it a try.
Don't install linux to a HDD. Just start slow. Install virtualbox or use hyper-v to spin up a Linux instance of fedora server spin and start playing around with setting up common services. Start by enabling ssh sessions on the VM and using putty to get into your VM. Then enable a ftp service and make some fake files then download them w/ firefox on your windows machine. As much as Sup Forumsay likes to argue about distros; learning linux is all about learning server software.

>flavours
started reeing right there

VM just to try out linux is overkill. You can use liveUSB to see what it is all about without having to install anything.

>Not using mint chocolate chip Linux with Spoon DE

Not gonna lie, that would be hilarious

>VirtualBox
>LinuxMint
Easy.

This. Rufus it. And go Xubuntu, which is just Ubuntu + XFCE desktop environment.

I just set it up. And it's looking great.

Begin your life as a ricer with the below.
sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/first-xubuntu
google TLP power management
google powertop power management
install plank dock

or just

>thumbdrive
>linux mint

even easier

don't be fooled by Sup Forums OP, Linux is literally easy to use it's not 1998

I used to work in a hotel and met at least 6 or 7 grandpa truck drivers who used Ubuntu (their kids probably got sick of removing viruses and put linux on it)

Mint or Ubuntu are your best bet, Mint I prefer because the Cinnamon DE but Xubuntu would be my second recommendation

>spoon DE user
use a CONE xfce u pleb

Ubuntu. You can install it on a laptop, you can dual boot it also so you choose the os on bootup or restart, and you can run it off a usb stick as well.

Hell you can install virtuabox and just set up a vm its all free software.

Ubuntu is almost like windows if you dont know what you are doing. Same kind of folders and whatever desktop experience.

Get the terminal open and start figuring out basic commands to really dip your toes in.

Xubuntu, make a live usb and test it. Also install that on a virtualbox vm to fuck around if you want to still use windows at the same time to check on different stuff and configs.