Is 300$ really worth it for this processor? Or should I just wait until Ryzen?

Is 300$ really worth it for this processor? Or should I just wait until Ryzen?

It's Canadian dollars

Other urls found in this thread:

guru3d.com/news-story/amd-ryzen-launches-march-2nd.html
extremetech.com/computing/244328-performance-pricing-details-amds-upcoming-ryzen-cpu-leak-online
ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Kaby-Lake-Quad-Core-4-2-GHz-LGA-1151-91W-BX80677I77700K-/391685219289?hash=item5b324223d9:g:8LoAAOSwjDZYhlRi
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>buying an i5
>buying kabylake housefire
If I recommend intel I get called a shill, if I recommend ryzen I would be an idiot

FYI you can't hackintosh on kaby lake yet. If you care about that, you want to go with skylake.

honestly no
>1-3% more ipc than skylake
>200mhz faster than skylake
>50-80$ more than skylake
>10-20C hotter than skylake

if you *need* a quad core, get a skylake or wait for amd to release zen and drop prices on intel stuff

Either go for a 7600k, but you seem like you don't want to overclock so forget that idea, and just save yourself a few bucks and get a 7500 chip.
You will honestly not fell the difference unless you do intense video editing.

>hackintosh
lolwhy
literally 0% of the population cares about this

Nowadays the "you don't need an i7 for gaming" meme is pretty much dead, you really do

~0% of general population, probably higher for Sup Forums browsers.

Give me one good example besides Battlefield 1, which supports that claim

Yet i can max everything out on my 4690k for 3 years now with a 970 after my 770 died...

Ashes of the singularity
Arma
Any DX12 game
good for you

>intel
>supporting the botnet
pleb wait for zen. amd is releasing zen in less than a month. they said march something.

>kabylake housefire
What the fuck is with this meme? They don't even run hot.

If you have an older CPU, yeah. I previously had an i5-2500, and I picked up the i5-7600K for just $220. It's like night and day for many games.

Oh yes they do considering the horrible TIM and the high stock voltages

they run incredibly hot

Just wait. Ryzen is out in less than a month.

I would wait. Several ryzen CPUs are supposed to be out in just a couple weeks.

The only people who say they don't run hot are the ones who bought it and want to avoid buyers remorse

That's nothing surprising for a K CPU that already has a higher base clock than the Skylake equivalent.

I just paid that much for an unlocked Core II Extreme and could only think "Damn, I wish I wasn't poor and had a newer computer."

You really do get more "bang for your buck" when you're rich.

>non-K
for what purpose
Two of my retarded friends have 6700k on stock and my 6600k @ 4.5Ghz runs all over that shit.

the only Intel CPUs worth buying after Ryzen is out will be the unlocked i7 chips

you only have to wait two weeks anyway.

No, kaby lake is the worst deal in the history of CPUs. Ryzen will blow any i5 ever made out of the water and kaby lake isn't even better than Skylake

>200mhz higher
>somehow this equates to "yeah 85c is cool"

Sure it does
4 core vs 4 core 4 thread
I'm sure you mop the floor with those silly plebs right user

Reminder that overclocking on K CPUs voids the warranty. Additional reminder that Ryzen overclocks itself by default.

>overclocks itself
no it doesn't

You do realize we are LITERALLY days away from zen processors going retail, right?

>says increasingly nervous man for the 15th time this year

guru3d.com/news-story/amd-ryzen-launches-march-2nd.html

extremetech.com/computing/244328-performance-pricing-details-amds-upcoming-ryzen-cpu-leak-online

Definitive proof
guru3d and extreme tech

No point buying Kaby Lake shit unless you're going to delid it

ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Kaby-Lake-Quad-Core-4-2-GHz-LGA-1151-91W-BX80677I77700K-/391685219289?hash=item5b324223d9:g:8LoAAOSwjDZYhlRi

dumbass

This
just go skylake
cooler anyway

>Give me one good example besides this good example
You won't benefit from an i7 in 99% of 2016 games. You probably won't care for one in the majority of 2017 games either. But if you are building a machine today, you want it to still be running games well in at least 2021 and hopefully beyond. It would now be a questionable decision to make a nice build with a high-end graphics card but an i5 CPU.

I'll wait to see how it behaves in the Dolphin JIT benchmark. It's hands down the best per-core perf tester.

It does, actually.

my 6600k paired with a 1080 will play doom 2016 supersampled at 21:9 4k at 63 fps average

>$309.99
>for a 4c/4t model
>locked
>with 3.5GHz
>when 8c/16t Ryzen starts at $320
>which is also unlocked
>while mainboards are cheaper than Intel
Your an special kind of retards, right?

A year ago a 6600K would make sense to buy. With Ryzen around the corner releasing in March? Idk why anyone would want to buy now.

>Additional reminder that Ryzen overclocks itself by default.
Lol, get ready for a wave of melting poozens if that's true.

They claim it will overclock/underclock based on temperatures.

I'd STRONGLY recommend waiting for benchmarks on the Ryzen 5 1600x.

>16MB Cache vs. I5 6MB
>6 Cores vs. I5 4 cores
>same base frequency
>3.7 overclock vs. I5 4.1 overclock
>$259 vs. your price $309

You definitely want to see a performance comparison before you choose.

>It's hands down the best per-core perf tester.
It's literally only testing AVX, which is mostly irrelevant.

this thread: BUT RYZEN HAS MORE CORES FOR CHEAPER!!!!1
aka every AMD generation that ends up flopping or running like crap

This guy gets it.
8 threads should be the minimum in 2017.
Just two more weeks, then Ryzen is here.

t. 6600k owner

>a high performance instruction set is mostly irrelevant to performance

I think hes trying to imply it's irrelevant because it's not reflective of anything you would do in a normal workload
his comment is still retarded though

AVX is hardly ever used.
Many workloads that would require AVX are just as well processed by the GPU.

>Is 300$ really worth it for this processor?
No, retard
>Or should I just wait until Ryzen?
Duh, retard.

>retard
>using an expression coined by the Simpsons
>not being retard
>retard

We'll see.

A year ago the 6600k didn't make sense to buy, either, because there were already leaks about (Ry)zen back then.

The last point you should have bought a new intel CPU was probably the 4790k.
Since then, they've hardly improved.
I bought my i5-2500k for $310 6 years ago. Now, I can get a barely better 7700k for $340. What's the fucking point? It saves a bit on power, has hyperthreading, and is slightly faster. That's it.
Waste of money. Intel has been complacent and ripping people off.

guru3d.com/articles_pages/battlefield_1_pc_graphics_benchmark_review,9.html
Now days, games are so highly threaded due to consoles using AMD that the $189 FX 8370 is competitive with the $1100 i7-5960X. And as bad as the single core performance on Bulldozer was, the higher end ones were still decent enough for games that are highly single threaded.
Now Ryzen is almost here with both lots of cores, hyperthreading, and good single core performance on top of it all.

>i-it's the moar coars thing again g-guys...
>a-am I fitting in yet?

bulldozer's "cores" weren't anywhere near as individually strong as the zen cores are.

right now you're looking at chips that, for the same price, have double the integer and FPU perf whilst falling anywhere between -10% to +5% single threaded perf compared to kaby lake.

panic.

>panic.
Coffee Lake is H2 2017 btw.

let's hope it's good. judging by the current state of Intel though, it might just be another Kaby Lake tier quantum leap.

The 1300 and 1400X are 4 cores, 8 threads, same as the i7-7700k. Only they cost half as much. ???

You don't have to get the top of the line 8c/16t made to compete with the i7-6900k and i7-6950k

>Coffee Lake is H2 2017 btw.
Oh, nice, a 15% IPC increase in very specific application circumstances, which really amounts to an average 1.5% performance increase
Unless The i7-8700k doesn't have an iGPU and is $200 instead of $340, it doesn't matter. And lots of us will already have Ryzen Motherboards by now, and AMD will be releasing 16c/32t Ryzen CPUs, and 8c/16t APUs with integrated Vega GPUs and HBM shared between the CPU and GPU on the die. Coffee Lake isn't shit.

>AMD will be releasing 16c/32t Ryzen CPUs, and 8c/16t APUs with integrated Vega GPUs and HBM shared between the CPU and GPU on the die.
That's Zen+ that's 4 years away from now.
It's another Skylake, now with moarcachez and moarcores trying to chase AMD.

The 16c/32t and 32c/64t Ryzen will still be AM4. They'll should be around fairly soon, but for servers.
They'll be low clocked is all.

The HBM APUs definitely aren't going to be 4 years away, either. Why would they be?
Ryzen itself wasn't really THAT delayed. It was no more delayed than Broadwell.

>The 16c/32t and 32c/64t Ryzen will still be AM4. They'll should be around fairly soon, but for servers.
Not AM4, literally not enough pins.
>It was no more delayed than Broadwell.
Cannonlake is about to beat Broadwell in delays.

At AMD's financial analyst day, they stated the enterprise CPUs and the APUs will come in 2017.

They don't need more pins. The 32c/64t will likely be clocked at 1.4ghz/2.3t.

And the APUs with HBM do not need more pins to communicate with an HBM memory controller when it's all on the die.
The size of the socket is perfectly sufficient to have 4-8 cores plus a gpu and 4-16GB of HBM, as well.

They can absolutely make HBM APUs work on AM4. They simply need to develop the shared memory controller. There's currently no HBM memory controller for Ryzen.

That graph is watts not temperature, Ryzen draws 96 watts under load

>They don't need more pins. The 32c/64t will likely be clocked at 1.4ghz/2.3t.
Oh yes they do, top Naples MCM has fucking 8-channel memory. And clockspeed would probably be higher due to Zen's power efficiency.

It will be a different chipset of motherboards for servers, but it'll still be the AM4 socket.

AM4 is sticking around until 2020.

Anyway you can't have two CCX 8-core APU.

Actually I guess it might not still be the same socket.
I guess we'll see.

Maybe intel will cut the price of the i7-8900k in half compared to the i7-6900k, but I doubt it.
I'd rather buy AMD anyway, as long as they offer a competitive product, since they aren't price gouging jews.

W A I T
A
I
T

i5 (aka 4c/4t) is pretty much dead right now assuming you want it for gaymen (don't even lie to yourself, you do).
For years it was true that with i7 in a gaymen machine you're overspending for little to no benefits since game engines suck at scaling and an overclocked i5 will do very much the same job for much less money.
But now most of the recent big titles scale to 8+ threads pretty well, and with Ryzen being all but confirmed to bring affordable 8t/12t/16t CPU with actually decent IPC to the table, i5 is going to have a really hard time since it will stay too expensive for facebook machines but will now get annihilated at gaymen by higher thread count Ryzen CPU at the same or lower price, as well as the i7 lineup for die hard Intel fans.

I think the only real question about Ryzen is how low the latency from between when a game starts preparing a frame to render, and it actually finishing the draw call.

That was a big problem on the FX chips, where even if the FPS was decent and not bottlenecked, there was much higher frame latency.

I imagine they solved that. These Ryzen chips are so very different. But it's still a worry and I'm waiting for benchmarks.

Wait for the release of Ryzen, see if the benchmarks are the real deal like the leaks suggest and if there are any hardware problems we don't know yet (especially motherboards), then you can still decide.

No reason to rush it.

>1-3% more IPC
No it's actually zero, they'll run nearly the exact same at the same frequency. Error bars and such always exist but it's fuckin damn close to zero.

Supposedly, the overclocking utility that comes with Ryzen will allow you to individually overclock and underclock each core.

That's something that's impossible with Intel. You can either disable turbo on some cores and change the turbo frequency, I believe, or you have to disable the other cores if you just want to overclock one really high.

If XFR will also underclock cores individually to save heat to overclock main threads being used, and to save voltage, that's going to be really huge.

DX12 runs slower than DX11 and opengl

>>if you *need* a quad core, get a skylake
fucking Sup Forums full of faggot niggers.... again.

i bought skylake on release. you niggers laughed at me and told me to wait for kabylake... now your telling these faggots that kabylake is shit.

go fuck yourselfs.

Wasn't me that said that.

Since everything after the 4790k, I've been telling people to wait. That was the last time Intel offered decent performance for the price at the time. Everything after that is overpriced stagnant shit.

Honest question:
Where do you find IPC information?

just trust Intel's claims. ;)))

But really, these claimed IPC increases are always on specific tasks, specific instructions to bundle many operations as one instruction on a cycle. So the real IPC increase tends to be... nothing unless software makes use of the new intrinsic functions.

Games will probably never use AVX512, and it'll probably be a while before they start using AVX and AVX2 to begin with. They've only recently been using SSE, for the most part.

>t. my gaping asshole

>i cant read

shit advice

To be honest even if it's not, you should still get a high end processor, it'll last a long long time
>tfw i7-920
>tfw it's still as fast as the day I bought it
>tfw want to get on the ryzen train if it's good

lmao someone's salty he got SL or KL and now sees the Ryzen leaks and prices.

I've never understood waitfags. Really, you expected people to wait a year based on rumors and no concrete specs? Sup Forums has been intolerable with the "Wait for Zen" shit, I needed a new PC last year.

Should have bought the 2500k or 2600k when it came out instead of using something ancient back then that necessitated an upgrade last year.

>tfw Ivy Bridge was the last good batch of Intel processors

Low temps, low power consumption.

Haslel was a shitshow

If you're buying a locked kaby lake, just get the cheaper locked skylake or go for an overclockable cpu from whichever one is cheaper. I paid $285 CAD for my 6600k

no, 7700k is definitely better than 4790k. better clocks and IMC. It'll be better than Ryzen for most client workloads. Non-beginners, like people who aren't blinding following Sup Forums memes, will know if they need more cores and Ryzen.

everyone which replied till now is a shithead.

if you need this processor now. then yes it is indeed worth it

Barely.

The 7700k would be fine if it was like $250. It's not worth $340.
It's overpriced because Intel could get away with it.

AMD could get away with charging $340 for their upcoming Ryzen 6c/12t, but it's likely they won't. It's likely the leaked $260 price for the 1600X is correct because they aren't Jews like the Israelis at Intel.

Is it summer already? Im getting papercuts off this edgyness

Apparently you cant user.

There's literally as in literally a sentence on the bottom telling you what temp it's hitting, you sperglord.

It's one month or something, wait for actual benchmarks

Doom 2016 is extremely well optimized though. You could probably get the same level of performance running it on a commodore 64.

I care.

wait hold the fuck up, is that a LOCKED i5 for 300???

fuck me my 4790k was $300.

there's no way this i5 should cost that much.

>no
>no

Intel has exclusive price gouging Jew technology.

This is why I've been unable to recommend them since the 4790k.

Smaller process chips are supposed to be cheaper. 14nm uses almost half the material as 28nm. And they've been stagnating sticking on 14nm and the same architecture so long that prices should come down even more. But they are ripping people off just because they can.

One leaker is saying the $179 1300 he got to sample is within 5-10% of the performance of the i7-7700k and it overclocks to 4.3-4.5ghz on air.

>not buying unlocked for 15 years of easy living.
Cmon. First day on Sup Forums?