This has got to be a joke

> Windows 10
> 2017
> cant handle paths longer than 256 chars

just awesome

Other urls found in this thread:

howtogeek.com/266621/how-to-make-windows-10-accept-file-paths-over-260-characters/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

how about update your npm to the latest, fag

#thecurrentstateofwindows

>Windows
Found your problem

>just werks

If you can't organize your files and folders in such a way that you don't require full paths longer than 256 characters, then there's something wrong with you, not your operating system.

>switching OSs because you need support for longer path names
LMAO, that's like switching from Paradox to MySQL because you need support for more than 255 columns per table.

It can handle paths >256 chars, however applications need to set a flag in their manifest to support that because of backwards compatibility.

> if X cant do Y then the problem is you, not X
not an argument kys

>I want to do something retarded
>why won't X let me?
Yes an argument. Fuck off, freetard.

Linux let's you do Y, wakshit can't

>If you can't organize your files and folders in such a way that you don't require full paths longer than 256 characters, then there's something wrong with you, not your operating system.
The operating system is supposed to make things easier for me, I shouldn't need to make things easier for the operating system.

>deep folder hierarchy and long filenames is easy

>Loonix lets you shoot yourself in the foot
>Windows doesn't
>CHECKM8 MICRO$UCK!

Clearly he didn't name it to be 256 chars, it's a generated name and it was assumed he was not using a POS garbage OS.

Did I hurt your feelings?

"Easy" is not having to change the way you do things just because your operating system is irredeemable piece of shit.

I mean I don't understand how that is useful, but if it is something that can be implemented it should.

the limit is actually 260 chars

The way you do things is shit, admit it.

Only crap would generate shit names like that.

>node
That explains it!

>Windows is crap even for node
top kek

>Windows is stopping me from using node.js
It's doing you a favour tbqh senpaimalam.

>Node telling me windows is trash
Thanks node senpai

>node in charge of calling anything out

Are these unicode characters or ascii?

It is easier to find things in a deep hierarchy.
Long filenames may give a better meaning of the content of the file.
I never type the full filename when I access or edit a file, but having the longer name makes it easier to deal with and not running into issues like you cannot take backups of certain directories because the path would be too long is just nonsense.

It actually can: howtogeek.com/266621/how-to-make-windows-10-accept-file-paths-over-260-characters/

>This has got to be a joke
Yes OP. You should know by now, windows is a joke.

oh cool, what's next: "Windows 11 will finally allow users to uninstall 2 applications at the same time"

E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/

That's only ever happened when I try to update packages with a package manager open.

I literally had the same problem yesterday. Had to boot my Mint live CD to change the fucking name.

Found the retard who's never had to do any actual work in his life.

I work at an engineering firm. We check shit out from an international robotics conglomerate's EPDM server, and because they have millions of projects, the pathnames are huge. We regularly run into Windows losing its fucking marbles over the long pathnames, but it's not like there was any choice...

Unless, of course, you think millions of parts, drawings, FEA reports, data sheets, etc. should be stored in a directory structure a couple directories deep.

Go back to Sup Forums and /wg/ and shitpost about your battlestation and waifu somewhere else.

Every operating system has some maximum filename length. Linux and Windows both have a maximum of 255 bytes for a single filename, while path lengths vary. On the EXT4 filesystem used by Linux, the maximum path length is 4096 characters. On NTFS, the theoretical limit is much higher (around 32k, from what I'm reading), but Windows itself imposes a harder limit of 260 characters, including the drive letter and null terminator. This restriction has apparently been removed in later versions of Windows 10.

Of course, none of this should matter much. I have found even among people who are really inefficient with their file naming schemes, with deeply nested directory trees with long filenames, the limit is rarely ever hit.

>the pathnames are huge
Do the pathnames contain redundant information?

None at all. Each project contains more projects that contain more projects. There's also directories for the drawings and associated data.

Joe Spreadsheet will not hit the limit. People who are actually with the shits will.

NPM is only moderately retarded nowadays.

>nodejs
>blames windows for not handling this literal trash framework/concept

works on my machine

My Bach collection requires it be located as a root directory(or close to it) or else you can't access ~1/4 of the files because they're nested too deeply for the file system to deal with.

When dealing with Bach works that are segregated by instrument(violin, harpisohord, flute, piano, etc) and then again by type of song(Sonatas, Concertos, Suits, partites, etc), and on top of that the full file name of the song itself is in many cases very long.

For example here is one Cantantas's full file path
L:\Bach - Complete Works\Vol IV - Cantantas II\CD 23 - BWV 71, 76, 10\08 - J.S. Bach - Die Himmel erzählen die Ehre Gottes BWV 76 - I Coro (Soprano, Alto, Tenore, Basso)

And this isn't even the longest name or most deeply nested file.

>bach

lmaooooooo, thats what you get for listening to whitebread honkey cracker music >_

>whitebread honkey cracker music
I've been playing cello for 15 years now, sorry for having interests that you don't.

You're garbage! Human garbage!

nah, it's windows 10 ultra giga mega botnet telemetry illuminati satan cia nigger edition

WINDOWS USERS BTFO
HOW WILL THEY EVER RECOVER
IT IS OVER
LINUX HAS WON

>Not using NT paths in 2016
Pleb

Sounds like some pretty complex shit then. Though I do know a Joe Spreadsheet who has hit the limit once, primarily because of his tendency to use really redundant filenames (i.e. classname thing1/classname thing2/classname thing3, when it could have been classname/thing1/thing2/thing3)

if you weren't a complete twatwaffle you could shorten the names

Why should I? They're organized how the box set is organized. Along with accompanying scans of the CD information cards.

nice try loonix shill

Give us a way to do it that doesn't involve dicking around in a command prompt, and we will.