Post comfy 00s tech please

Post comfy 00s tech please.

Purchased in '06, seen me through 5 years of college, earned more than twice its price by printing for other people at dorm. Still functional.

Nice

>playing Deus Ex with FSAA on for the first time

>bought in 2002 or 2003
>still just werks with any OS

My favorite computer.

Ultra 5s had severe issues with the IDE chains; the 10s were better.

XP was never comfy to me. It's so freaking ugly. 2000, now that's comfy.

My first MP3 player, a Thompson Lyra, purchased from Dixons in the UK.

the only thing missing are shitty, grey pc speakers. good times.

Early 2000s tech was shit and you know it.
The only good thing about the era was all the great video games that came out.

Damn, I had that one and now I miss it so much

Never experienced it. But I only used it in my dorm room/apartment. It was better than using the old ass undergrad sparc5 lab.

Modern HP printers need some HPLIP bullshit, they can't just use CUPS.

Early 2000's was great since the prices for most tech was cheap. Don't you remember the joy of being the first person on your block to be able to create music cd's and photo-albums?

Is this actually good? I've been searching for a non shit printer for over a decade

> this one hurts man. It reminds me of my dad who passed some time ago. The zune was comfy af man.

it squeaks and makes some rattling noise, still prints

bought for 30€ with a full cardridge years ago

>Don't you remember the joy of being the first person on your block to be able to create music cd's and photo-albums?
I made a lot of money burning music CDs and selling them to classmates, had a ton of music and printed a "catalogue" of the songs on sheets of A4 paper so people would pick songs from it.
The TEAC burner and the 20GB HDD I bought were expensive as fuck but payed for themselves.
Still I'm not a fan of early 2000s tech, and late 2000s was even worse imho, with Vista and glossy "piano" black plastic everywhere.

kinda slow and noisy, but it's a durable workhorse

>The TEAC burner and the 20GB HDD I bought were expensive as fuck
Did you not live in the US? I was able to buy a burner with money from fixing/upgrading/building computers in high school.

Just about any mid-early 00s office laser printer will serve you fine. I'm using a laserjet from 05 and I can get high yield toner for $12 a cartridge.

That's cool as fuck, what was the capacity? Was it expandable? Looks very small and portable for an old player.

Here's a story about Dixons - when I was maybe 10 or so, I bought an "MP3 CD player" from there. I think it cost me £80, as opposed to maybe £20 for a basic CD player. So I saved up a lot of pocket money for it.

I thought that it had internal storage for MP3s. But no. Turned out that it was able to read MP3 files, burned as data, onto a data CD. I was super pissed that I had spent £80 on something that wasn't what I thought it was.

I never actually did use the MP3 feature, maybe I was too stupid to work out how to do it at that time, or maybe we didn't have a CD burner until a couple years later, I can't remember.

Pic related is the CD player. It was also fucking flimsy and broke in half, only connected by a ribbon cable. I later bought a Sony CD player which was great, durable, lasted for years.

I was super pissed that I had spent £80 on this thing that wasn't what I thought it was. I guess I was too young to understand the ins and outs back then. Also there *were* CD players on the market then that DID have internal storage for MP3s, but they were called "MP3 jukebox CD players" rather than "MP3 CD players", and they cost about £300 too.

delete this

are the 00's pretty much just the 90's extended

Too bad Voodoo 5 outright sucked compared to GeForce 2. Oh, and it's PCB is fucking humongous.

>and it is PCB is...
what did he mean by this

For the most part - but you could say that for almost any two decades. The 00s didn't really have all that much in the way of "new" tech, though.

It's short from printed circuit board, you fucking illiterate.

>Oh, and it's PCB is fucking humongous.
you say that like its a bad thing.

>onii-chan, it's too big, it won't fit!

It's bad when a much more powerful alternative is also much more small.

know how you fix that? the turn-of-the-millennium equivalent of MOAR COARS

No, it was the equivalent of 130$ today, which was a lot for a kid.

yeah but "it's" sure as shit isn't the english third person possessive

Xp is still the greatest.

When I bought this, I couldn't afford an iPod or other hard drive player, and flash-based players topped out at 512 MB. The idea of being able to put up to five hours of music on $1.50 reusable discs seemed like a great idea at the time. (Plus, the discs looked kind of futuristic and cool.) It also ran practically forever on a single AA battery.

I recently dug this out of my closet to mess around with it. ATRAC holds up okay by today's standards, even LP2 sounds acceptable (LP4 is kind of pushing it, though).

Apart from iPods / MP3 players

Apart from smartphones / Android / iPhones

YOU FUCKING IDIOT

Still have one of those as my main home printer.
Been using it since 07

That's pretty cool. I never got an MD player but I definitely thought about it.

I bought this CD player here - - around the year 2000, for the same reasons; I couldn't afford a "jukebox" MP3 player at that time, as the high capacity ones were called, and the cheap MP3 players were all low capacity, which in my opinion wasn't enough.

So yeah I just used CDs, up until 2005, when I bought a 5th gen (video) iPod.

MDs, for me, go alongside PDAs as "tech that I always lusted after, but never ended up buying"

Damn I always wanted a PDA so bad. E.g. pic related is one I thought about buying. The HP ones too.

I had one of these.

Which I then replaced with this. Literally a full size HD inside that thing. It was heavy.

mah nigga

/thread

haha, I had a Palm m100 or m105 (I forgot), it did so much shit for its time. Had a stylus but in the end I just used my finger to press icons on it - didn't really use any of the apps that required finer input (I ended up losing all data on it once, after that I only used it as an alarm clock).

It's probably why I never understood the smartphone craze. Pushing icons to run some app on a touchscreen interface, I could do that already in 1999, and it was pretty stupid even then.

Shit I had one of those.

Fuck it, thing died right after warranty ended

I had a Palm III and later a Treo back in the day. Smartphones are Not That Big A Deal, other than their ubiquity. Learn your history, you entitled little shit.

Beat this

What is it with the 00s and silver/violet?

Easy.

>No comfy one hand open
>Design aged like a turd
Thin and expensive is the modern paradigm, you faggot

I loved my v3i with expandable memory until i got niggered in the city, from that poing it was noPhone for me

>tfw sony used to design great looking tech and now it just looks the same as everyone else

This is a cleverly disguised eBay seller thread designed to make us buy retro items

Hey guys, apple is making this tight new computer! You gotta see it!

It can connect to the internet, WITHOUT A CABLE!

I know silver was a result of everyone trying to copy Apple's comeback. As for violet, I think it was because of the T-Mobile Sidekick cell phone.

Forever and always the GOAT

never gave me a single problem

>LAN port on a laptop

those were the times

If you buy the expensive ass airport card it does. Mine didn't come with that shit. Also the USB port was recessed into the case by the shaped bezel and I legit had to use a pigtail to get my flash drive to plug in.

Even my 5" tablet has an ethernet port.

oooooooooov

>back in 2004 I felt like having the internet in the palm of your hand was an unattainable dream

>Zune

Better, a laptop with a phone jack.
Also PDAs.

Speaking of those, I have a little Psion Series 3a sitting here.
Still to learn OPL and write some programs.
One thing I intend making is a simple image editor. 3-color imagery, fuck yeah.
From that, I might make a basic adventure game or visual novel.
Also want to make a smart word processor that lets you embed images in left or right align, just for fun and experience. I've never tried to do any offset alignments like that by counting letters and image dimensions.

Also, huge fucking external CD tray. Or maybe DVD support too, not sure. Oh yeah, it does have DVD support.
Shits about as long as a standard PC case.
Thinking about it, a standard internal disc tray is about just under half as long. (35-40%~)
I've got no idea why that thing is so damn huge.
I'm thinking of gutting it and putting a Raspberry Pi Inside of it, and putting a pop-out touchscreen on the disc tray. That'd just be cool as fuck I think.
If at all possible, even fitting a keyboard in there somewhere. I don't think I could fit a screen and keyboard. Eh, dunno.
Just depends how the internal layout is. I assume most space is taken up by some horribly old circuit board tech before the massive push for miniaturisation.

Had a Sony version of this. You could usually get about 5 albums per disk. Might not have been as fashionable as an iPod but 5 albums per disc + pick related gave me more storage capacity without needing a computer and internet connection to change what I have on my device.

My Rio 900 still turns on and plays music

Back in the day shit was made to last

But of course they were always seen as just a geeky gadget back then. Only after constant communication became a thing, through the rise of mobile phones (and text messaging), did people then feel compelled to buy iPhones / smartphones when they came out.

>Smartphones are Not That Big A Deal
Oh yeah apart from the fact that they're quite literally the most important device now. You utter idiot. They're probably even more numerous in the world now than computers.

Obviously smartphones came towards the end of the 2000s, but the iPhone was in 2007, so I think it is important to include them in 2000s technology. Probably the biggest leaps of "new tech" in the 2000s were:
>Portable digital music players
>Camera phones
>3G internet
>Colour screen mobile devices like the Game Boy Advance, palmtops, phones, etc.

I don't think that was a 00s thing, more of a Sony thing.

Exactly. When I got a PSP, I was amazed that I could wirelessly browse the "real internet" on this thing (even though it was fucking slow), over WiFi. That was the first portable device I had that could browse the internet.

Then the second thing was my dad's old 3G Nokia phone, which I got in like 2006 or 2007. It was actually very quick, because most websites had stripped down mobile versions then. I could browse mobile versions of BBC news, eBay, Wikipedia, things like that pretty quickly. Sure it wasn't the "real internet", but I thought it was amazing at the time.

Yeah I used to take a big CD case in my bag to school, the same form factor as pic related, although less heavy duty

I still have that somewhere. I'd pay serious money for a similar one with 32gb storage or sd card slot.

I had this RCA-branded one, and I did actually manage to get a few discs burned with MP3s on them because my dad had an iBook with a CD burner. Unfortunately because it was 2002 my taste in music was shit and after a while I couldn't get anything new for it. The batteries lasted a lot longer when playing a mp3 disc because it only had to load from the disc once every few minutes.

I eventually dropped it and broke the hinge for the top and duct taped it back together.

The wireless meme has to fucking die.

>Back in the day shit was made to last
They said that back in the 00s too.

That's hot

Beat piece of technology I ever owned. That time I went for an iPod and I couldn't be happier they ran out

LaserJet 1200 master race reporting in

Dis qt

And dis qt

Wow, someone actually bought that thing
How is it?

I recognize in retrospect that XP had security problems out the ass, but I admire how nice and straightforward it was compared to modern systems. Then again, mid-2000's browsing memories are a hell of a drug.

>ywn figure out how to open the rar containing the Phoenix Wright soundtrack for the first time again

There's Lenovo era thinkpads that still have a built in modem right beside USB 3 ports, it's kind of hilarious

mein neegro

Mine still works 1GB. Still sounds great. Cost like $160 canabux

has fm radio, aaa battery, and has lived through some wierd shit.

they don't make em like they used to

Does it have data access to the minidisc drive?

>it's kind of hilarious
How?

>they don't make em like they used to
Check out Fiio's offerings nigga.

they really really forgot how to make entertainment PCs. It happened when all the makers started thinking everyone wants 0 pc function in their media center.

microsoft's half assed, fucking broken garbage operating system, media center xp, broke the whole segment.

some antec media centers notwithstanding it's been dead.

yeah i use some of their various converters and amps and they've been reliable so far. I guess maybe an x1 would be worth a shot but i mean really i can sync music all the time so it'd be more about the flac and the battery life. Maybe i can find a demo unit to try, shitty input bothers me and the adapters dont exactly have interfaces.