/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

NO MORE DISTRO WARS

Previously: /t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: Search for software by category: linuxlinks.com/Software/, directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
Search alternatives to common applications: alternativeto.net/, linuxalt.com/
Themes, artwork, and more: opendesktop.org/
Desktop environments and window managers: xwinman.org/
Distro search: distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=All&basedon=All¬basedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&status=All

Computers preloaded with GNU/Linux and libre firmware: gnu.org/links/companies.html
Have an idea for a new software/feature? Want to make bucks by making free software?: bountysource.com/

News: phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home, webupd8.org/, linuxjournal.com/, lwn.net/
Gaming news: gamingonlinux.com/, linuxgameconsortium.com/

Learn the command line by playing: mprat.org/Terminus/
Learn what a specific command is for:
$ man
$ info
$ help
Don't know what to look for? $ apropos
For advanced users: grymoire.com/Unix/index.html
Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros): wiki.archlinux.org, wiki.gentoo.org

Learn more about Free Software: gnu.org/
/fglt/'s website: fglt.nl/
/fglt/'s copypasta collection: p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

raw.githubusercontent.com/jaykru/colorscripts/master/space.sh
github.com/stark/Color-Scripts
en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unbound
s1.webmshare.com/OVJPA.webm
fedoraproject.org/wiki/Kernel_Vanilla_Repositories
blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2016/11/01/discrete-graphics-and-fedora-workstation-25/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Firs for use what the fuck you want, I chose source mage.

is source mage fag the new Kevin?

is the slackware shill the new kevin?

yes

First for S ource M age GNU/Linux.

Fuck off.

shut up kevin

shut up kevin

how can I display listening and established connections with ss?

inb4 the slackware shill can't answer questions

I saw screenshots where people have drawings like space invaders or a cow on the terminal.
Are those bash scripts? Where do I get them?

ss -Heil

or
ss -Hitler

Search github for colorscripts.
Here's the space invaders one:
raw.githubusercontent.com/jaykru/colorscripts/master/space.sh

Which is better, dnf or zypper?

github.com/stark/Color-Scripts

looks like default Raleigh theme from gtk2.

I wish some autistic user would make a gtk2/gtk3 with similar appearance.
I liked the old blocky style of win2k era UIs.

Made this a while back. Sharing because why not.
#!/usr/bin/env bash
# GPLv3+

f=3 b=4;
for j in f b; do
for i in {0..7}; do
printf -v $j$i %b "\e[${!j}${i}m"
done
done

rst=$'\033[0m'
bld=$'\033[1m'
inv=$'\033[7m'

cat

I just discovered that GNOME is already working on GTK4.

Can someone bitchslap these retards.

they surely will fix the filepicker in v4

Well one thing for sure GTK3 won't get the icon preview.

GTK 3.22 is the last GTK3 version and is now considered "on life support".

that's /Doktor/ shill to you, asswipe

>fork gtk
>add thumbnail previews
>get famous
let's do this

>>I wish some autistic user would make a gtk2/gtk3 with similar appearance.
>I liked the old blocky style of win2k era UIs.
Like this?

>#!/usr/bin/env bash
# DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE
Version 2, December 2004

Copyright (C) 2004 Sam Hocevar

Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim or modified
copies of this license document, and changing it is allowed as long
as the name is changed.

DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE
TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION

0. You just DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO.

f=3 b=4;
for j in f b; do
for i in {0..7}; do
printf -v $j$i %b "\e[${!j}${i}m"
done
done

rst=$'\033[0m'
bld=$'\033[1m'
inv=$'\033[7m'

cat

Don't let me call the cops.

Yes.
The enormously important question is - how inconsistent is it with GTK3 applications.

>Don't let me
Okay. I forbid you from calling the cops.

that shit doesn't even run, kek
checked, this

Since GTK3 won't update anymore it's now viable to make a patch that will introduce such feature, similar to what happened with GTK2

;_; touché.

You'd also need to maintain that thing, adding a new logo isn't enough.

I have a problem with the nouveau drivers freezing (within, at most, a few minutes) when using KDE, but I want to install openSUSE with KDE. Does this method seem sound to you?

>install using text-based installer
>deselect the nouveau driver during the installation and only install the vesa driver
>install nvidia driver according to en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers after completing the installation

I think this should work, but my concern is that the vesa driver might not work with my hardware for whatever reason. Does anyone know if there's a list of cards out there which is works with?

that I can't tell you, since I never bothered learning which of my applications use GTK2, GTK3, or something else.

Nothing I use looks out of place though. That screenshot is from Debian stable but I have testing on my laptop, the only thing that broke was that terminal windows (and nothing else) don't use the correct scrollbar. I haven't bothered looking into that since I'm gonna reinstall that machine when stretch gets officially released.

adding a license to stuff you post online isn't a bad idea btw
everything you post without a free license is automatically copyrighted and legally nobody is allowed to use it

I guess I'll wait for the release of stretch too and then GTK themes won't matter since I'm going to switch from Xfeces to LXQt anyways.

>nobody is allowed to use it
>freetards actually belive this

Tell this $half_of_github.

That's how copyright works, user. Look it up.

Everything you post is property of the website you are posting it on, they own what you post on their site,dosent mean its illegal

serious question. how are you supposed to know if someone violated the GPL if the source is closed?

you're forgetting the part where copyrights are only enforced if one party wants to sue the other party and can prove that it owns the copyright, that the other party infringed on that copyright, etc.
which basically means you have to have at least twice as much money to spend on laywers as the other guy on top of a certain minimum time and resources it would take to even start the process

Well if nobody checks, then you don't. But if someone investigates, it can be given away by object code and function names that are identical to whats in the GPL software. That's easily looked at in a debugger.

Why aren't you using Source Mage GNU/Linux yet, Sup Forums?

I dont use flavor of the month meme shitty distros

what is this crap, why does it mute but not unmute?

pactl set-sink-mute @DEFAULT_SINK@ toggle

Got a new Arch Linux setup here on my laptop and everything's great except I can't click and drag (e.g. for highlighting things or moving around windows)

Anyone had to deal with something like this before? Is this something I have to change in the DE (xfce) or something I have to change in my touchpad configuration file (70-synaptics)? If it's the touchpad configuration, how do I change it?

Can you be more vague?

There are multiple ways, from checking the way the application makes API calls to actually reverse engineering to get variable names and such.
There are of course methods of obfuscating all of this some are more effective other don't make a difference (cause the profile of execution would stay the same).

But you have to ask yourself.
As a developer, if you're going to go through all the loops and hoops to steal a piece of GPL code, why not fucking write it yourself especially when you consider that in many years ahead someone by pure accident might discover what you've done and rain FSF lawyers on your head.

And no, noone's going to sue you for copying a function.

Taking a GPL application, changing the name and making it proprietary doesn't make a lot of sense does it?
Who's going to pay you if there's a free as in beer (and free as in freedom) version of the thing you're trying to sell with exactly the same features?

Chinks are known for license violations but to these people the concept of law apparently doesn't exist, so why would software licensing be any different.

Cisco however learned the bad way about it and had to pay up.

cisco only paid so stinky stallman would stop picketing their main hq

Its no more then a slap on the wrist and no one really cares about your puny little letter

butthurt cisco shill or I don't know what.
The desired effect was achieved. Cisco stopped violating the GPL.
No idea what did you expect. Stallman putting their employees in gas chambers?

The Archwiki was helpful.
amixer -D pulse sset Master toggle does the job.

>stopped violating the GPL
No,they just do it better so they dont get caught,much like any other company

GPL is a joke,and only favors users raping devs, it dosent protect the devs at all, and no one should use gpl for anything serious

I will as soon as they release version 1.0

Right.

Fuck off troll.

>deflecting

Microsoft jews are raiding us, they're coming for our freedom.

>mfw finally installed Unbound
geez, it's way easier than I thought. Literally just uncomment a couple lines in unbound.conf and add 127.0.0.1 to resolv.conf

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unbound

Doubt it's a Sup Forumsedditor.
More probably the guy that comes here and shills for the BSD license every now and then.

I hope you setup DNSSEC and DNSCRYPT while you were playing with it

GPL was never designed to protect the devs, it was designed to protect the users.

Exactly, its a shitty license

>Get Debian for an old UltraSPARC machine
>Kernel 3.2? Fuck, this shit's ancient
>Proceed to compile 4.9.10 on this thing
>Change vmlinuz compression to gzip because lol 20 year old bootloader (SILO)
>Probably have the oldest SPARC machine running a cutting-edge kernel in the world
>Shit, nobody builds updated binaries for this arch anymore
>Proceed to install FUCKING PORTAGE on Debian
>Everything just werks, incredibly enough
Please, explain to me what the fuck have I spent these last four days doing.

just don't reply man.
there's no winning.

It's an endless back and forth shitflinging where both sides claim to do the same thing best.

:^)

What does it even mean for a piece of software to be version 1.0?

Isn't it all relative? Don't they all have different conventions regarding that?

Maybe one program's version increases by 0.5 while another's by 0.01 after an equivalent amount of develpment.
By the time program1's at v3.5, program2'd be at v0.07 but they would have equivalently developed features.

How can you compare the extent to which programs are developed by version number?

Version 1 is entirely up to the developers goals and standards.

installing gentoo

Look up Semantic Versioning.

Not everyone follows it, but it's fairly widespread nowadays

But does it even mean anything?

Zypper is probably the best package management tool, I don't even use openSUSE

It means the developer has worked on the product to a point where he sees it to be fit for publication.

Anyone using systemd-boot/bootctl? Is efibootmgr required?

I always thought that at least 1.0 was standard to mean it's "ready". Everything lower than 1.0 is like beta or alpha.
That was just my understanding though.

But I do.

bash question.
I have a script to load certain iptable rules from the "rulefile"list:
while read rule; do
iptables $rule
done < $rulefile

everything works perfectly except for hex string matching rules, for example if the rule in rulefile is:
-A CHAIN ... --hex-string '|096c6f63616c686f7374|'

iptables will use this string:
'|27096c6f63616c686f737427|'

why?

1.0 is the first release.
Anything before 1.0 is alpha/beta/whatever

s1.webmshare.com/OVJPA.webm

Why would I want to compile a custom kernel?

Can someone who does this explain why?
What are the benefits?
The vanilla kernel is working just fine for me.

>The vanilla kernel is working just fine for me.
Then why the fuck are you asking?

A simple google would clear all your doubts

If you are using a vanilla kernel, you compiled it yourself.

Use plain efibootmgr and EFISTUB kernel. No systemdboot required :^)

Slackware jumped from version 4 to version 7 because Red Hat was pumping out versions really fast back then and they didn't want to seem outdated. They also had a 13.37 release some years ago.
Once TeX hit version 3, Knuth started adding digits of pi with every release (3 -> 3.1 -> 3.14 -> 3.141...), with the intention of making pi the actual "official" version number (and probably break all package managers in the process) once TeX has reached the point where no further changes will ever need to be made to it.
But yeah, anything before version 1 means the developer does not consider it a finished product suitable for distribution and production use.

wut? please explain, sounds interesting, how do you boot without bootloader?

he could be using Slackware
:^)

oh well, I just googled

How can I make changes to grub? I can't get permission to save it when I open it using GUI stuff. Also, what's the #grub# file?
I think it's from when I tried doing:
sudo emacs /etc/default/grub

But, I'm not sure. I dont' want to get crazy and start deleting stuff.

sudo guieditor /etc/default/grub

while read -r rule; do
iptables "$rule"
done < "$rulefile"

>serious question. how are you supposed to know if someone violated the GPL if the source is closed?

bit of a late reply since I had the page cached, it can be anything from the dev ripping off the code not changing it at all to parts decompiling or debugging identically to gpl code; you'll find examples of android programs ripping off stuff from github and it's blatantly obvious when everything, including the menus, is exactly the same as the programs on github

the issue is proving someone ripped off code in court, it's basically impossible, if this is a concern for you then using an open source licence isn't the solution

>As a developer, if you're going to go through all the loops and hoops to steal a piece of GPL code, why not fucking write it yourself

because developers and code monkeys are lazy, note all the people who are against the gpl on github projects because they now can't use the software in whatever their work is developing

>GPL was never designed to protect the devs, it was designed to protect the users.

to be fair the gpl does a lot for devs, as linus put it, gpl is great for projects you care about

if anyone makes a fork they're now developing for and contributing to your code base, you get all of that back

>Slackware jumped from version 4 to version 7 because Red Hat was pumping out versions really fast back then and they didn't want to seem outdated.

firefox did this when chrome went to hopping up a major release every few weeks

>If you are using a vanilla kernel, you compiled it yourself.

fedora provide vanilla kernel repositories: fedoraproject.org/wiki/Kernel_Vanilla_Repositories

sudoedit /etc/default/grub

sudo $EDITOR /etc/default/grub

then

update-grub

and yes, #grub# is an auto-save file from emacs, you can delete it.

What's the status of using nvidia optimus (when your laptop has an nvidia gpu + intel integrated) on wayland?

Im running arch with gnome, should I wait until 3.24 is released or there some package I can get to enabled my nvidia card in wayland.

Once my nvidia card functions, how can I set up optimus in wayland?

blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2016/11/01/discrete-graphics-and-fedora-workstation-25/

I thought the commands were the same as emacs.
I want to move forward one character, but ctrl+f isn't working. Also, how do I exit and save?

SUDO_EDITOR='emacs -nw' sudoedit /etc/default/grub