Installing a second internet account in the same household

Hey Sup Forums

I think I just got swindled. I'm trying to set up a second personal account with Spectrum in my household. My roommates have internet already, but I need a separate line to host email, website, and data. I got on the phone with Spectrum's business dept and they said we can't have more than one account per household. But I feel like they are lying to upsell me on their business package. I called a few days ago and set up a business account with 60/5 internet. And its gonna cost me 79.99 monthly. I know I dun goofed here. Any techfags wanna weigh in here? What plans are available to me based on the above criteria? I really don't want to pay 79.99 per month. Thanks

OP here. A little more info:

1. My roommates don't want me opening holes in the firewall of their router, so talk is out of the question.

2. I'm not really willing to pay more than 50 USD per month for internet.

3. I really don't care about the speed. As long as its over 15Mbits/sec.

You are being swindled. The problem is you've already said yes to the new package so you have no leverage. Call the customer retention line. I won't lie, its a war of attrition. Don't yell, but calmly state what you want and look for other providers offering something similar to what you want. If you're not getting what you want go to the manager, they WILL have better pricing available to give you.

Just remember, the second you yell or scream. You lose. I've worked in customer service for a year now. Do not let them end the conversation until you are satisfied.

One account per household is standard practice.
Set up a vlan or something.

Your roommates are idiots.

Get it from another provider you retard.

Are you trying to run a real production server on a residential internet line?

They're gonna shut you down and point to the line in their TOS that specifically forbids that.

>Are you trying to run a real production server on a residential internet line?
Why is this not allowed?

because they want you to buy a business line

> I need a separate line to host email, website, and data
Unless that shit is hosted internally expect to pay a premium, that would violate the ToS for almost every internet provider. You must get a business plan.

>One account per household is standard practice.
In what third world country?

>Why is this not allowed?
Because it is a liability

just run the modem line throuigh a switch and run your own firewall. you share the bandwidth but get your own ip

fuck you are dumb, grow up kid

>My roommates don't want me opening holes in the firewall of their router, so talk is out of the question.
Are you familiar with the way portforwarding works? You can map an external port to a computer and port within the LAN. For instance, my router forwards port 10020 to my computer's (there are multiple in the network) port 22 for ssh.

I do have two rack servers, but one is for P2P and the other is a Virtual Machine box. Before my roommates determined I was opening holes in the firewall, I had a VPN service working nicely so that I could tunnel in and access my virtual box. I haven't had any problems before running these servers.

They have locked up the QoS on the router and I have no access to it. I know it's a shitty situation

Go back to shitposting Timmy. The adults need to talk

Jesus christ, why aren't you renting a server OP?

I've been running websites at home against the TOS of many major isps for 17 years now. They don't give a fuck.

i just provided the literal solution. you obviously still live with your parents. i have 8 different ips from my isp, and if i wanted to all 8 could go through their own firewall and be physically separated

>I need a separate line to host email, website, and data
No, you need a $5 VPS to host your shit

Get a line from a different provider. Every once and a while drizzle liquid into their router. Never let them use yours. Claim you think they might be hackers and you don't want to get in trouble

Do you pay for internet at all right now? If so tell them to fuck off, you help pay for it and it isn't up to them to decide how you use something you pay for

I've tried explaining that port forwarding is like forwarding mail. It only forwards a packet or multiple packets to one address as per the definition of a network switch.

One of my roommates computer crashed and she's blaming me for it.

>she
Problem identified

Tell her to suck your dick, they aren't your parents and you pay rent and internet just like they do
It isn't your fault she got malware

Ya. I know. But I'm pretty deep into this lease atm senpai

former time warner cable butt-crack guy here; here are some things you can do:

1.) TW/Spectrum has customer retention. Like said, be kind and cool, and just tell them what's up.

2.) If you're in an apartment, you can have two lines go to one split house if there is a separate address, like APT 1A & 1B. If there is anyway to set that up, you can get your 2nd line. The rule is 1 ACCOUNT per ADDRESS. They are not lying to you; they are following procedure, that's why they sold you the business class. So you did not get swindled here. 60/5 internet isn't bad for $80 and still get a static IP address with business support (you will get better support than the residential customers if you have issues, since you're a business). I pay $65 (12 month promotion) for 50/5 residential.

3.) look for a different provider like Verizon. But judging by your situation, it doesn't look like you have a choice.

4.) Understand that there is a difference between residential and business class service. With residential you don't get a static IP address, with business you do since it's important for servers. But, again, I would assume you know this shit.

I'm currently on the phone with Frontier. The only ISPs in my area are Spectrum and Frontier. What do I say to the customer service rep to get a second line?

>Static ips cost more
Hate this meme

Thanks for the help senpai!

Apparently I live in a fiber area so Frontier's slowest service is 50/50 for basically $50 per month. I already have an appointment with Spectrum to install and they offer their services for $79.99. I know that comes with a static IP. Now I have been able to get away with a dynamic IP for hosting for awhile now. It's mostly personal data so it wouldn't be down for more than a few hours if I'm near a computer.

What do you goys think. Is it worth the extra $30 per month? Spectrum has a month to month basis and Frontier is a contract for 2 years with $100 cancellation fee.