Why Linux sucks

What about linux is broken/needs improvement?

Other urls found in this thread:

bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=720502
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

broken components within Linux are considered a feature.

The btrfs RAID 5/6 code getting cleaned up would be nice. I was originally using it on my home server, but I took it off, and it's just running JBOD at the moment.
I'm also waiting on the AMDGPU DC code to land.

Other than that, I have no real issues with the Linux kernel.

>1 - Gaming
>2 - Gaming
>3 - Gaming

can't break what doesn't exist

Nvidia driver support, optimus, wayland

Its fucking disgusting that your gpu performs significantly worse on linux than on windows

It's userbase

Yes, there are absolutely no games on Linux.

Bugs within any OS or program are features, as long as it's useful. That's development 101.

Not even close to as many as on Windows and the shitty video drivers make them run like complete crap, but keep deluding yourself that Linux gaming is a thing. I'll be on Windows enjoying 21:9 games at butter smooth 100fps

It will always suck. You cant create something good and cohesive when doing it by committee. Committee's of people that have no vetting, no ultimate responsibility for the end product, and no real goal other than try to make it better when you can with free time...

>Borderlands, L4D, and a bunch of indie garbage
I'm glad that Linux is becoming a better gaming platform, but face it, there's still a long way to go.

Fucking wifi, bluetooth and battery life when compared to windows or osx

Linux is broken by design. The kernel is a complete mess that's just been haphazardly cobbled together over decades

NEVER EVER

Not to mention fragmented into trillions of different special snowflake distros broken and incompatible with each other.

It's bloat.

I use all of this stuff and have great battery life. Your PC must be taking a shit on you. My computer is probably one of the most proprietary and I am running Arch fuckin' flawlessly. I even have Nvidia drivers installed and working, touchpad, touchscreen, keyboard light, etc is working like a charm. Please, Linux isn't that hard to use and it certainly isn't a buggy pos like people always say. 79% of people who own servers wouldn't use Linux on them if it was shit. NASA wouldn't use Gentoo if it was a shitty meme distro like everyone says. Also, if you have a problem, try Googling it. I can almost guarantee you will find a solution.

Someone correct the record

Using eOS I get an hour less battery life, constant bluetooth problems (turning on by itself or displaying error messages on boot) and very frequent wifi disconnects when compared to windows 10.

>inb4 eOS
It's based on Ubuntu 16.04

Kernel level support for the thousands of proprietary devices that already exist and continue to come out will never be a realistic goal

omg no one called for the linux defense go away jeez

>NASA wouldn't use Gentoo
I thought they used ultron

>piping screenfetch to cowsay
lol.
In truth, screenfetch is a ricer kiddie application, not a UNIX tool

Elementary OS? I personally don't like the dev team because they try to trick you into donating on their download page. I'll donate if it's worth it.
You mad?
Kek

>broken/needs improvement?
1. Basically all DE's
2. Being able to buy any laptop/component without having yo do research first.

1 I can let slip, but dunno about normies, 2 is what keeps stopping Looniks to be usable for the masses or anyone who doesn't wants to spend two weeks looking for hardware just to be like >lol, right model, wrong revision after buying

They'll fix it in GTK4

>Elementary OS? I personally don't like the dev team because they try to trick you into donating on their download page. I'll donate if it's worth it.
Yup.
I don't like that either, but I really like the look of the OS.
I find it to be worth it, been using it since Loki came out, I might throw some money their way if I use it a bit longer.

Never had any of these problems and own an Asus Zenbook Pro UX501vw.

>they try to trick you into donating on their download page
Well, so does Ubuntu.

Risk of Rain is god-tier tho

It is very visually appealing. I've used it for a while but moved on. Really, what we need is someone to port pantheon. I would love to try but simply don't have any time.

I agree, I also don't like Ubuntu because canonical took Debian, shit all over it and came on it too. And that's how Ubuntu was born!

linux is close to perfect, it's the software revolving around it needs improvement, constant bugs and stupid decisions because easily guilt tripped white dumbasses that let dumb people take over (github, ubuntu, and so forward), 2008 linux was just right (ubuntu 8.04 for ex)

To be fair, Ubuntu made Linux accessible for the masses. I remember when they were shipping free CD's all around the world.
It has the best hardware detection I've seen so far (with autoinstall for drives too), but I haven't personally used Linux on the desktop in nearly a decade, so I don't now if, say Mint, does a better job. And Shuttleworth had well intentioned suggestion that would had made the Linux landscape much better, like synched releases for projects, which would make it easier to support.

>What about linux is broken/needs improvement?

The focus on designing new eye-candy instead of stability/robustness/bug fixes.

A good example is KDE5. Sure, switching to version 5 gave the designers a platform to express themselves artistically, using their new "flat" style (if you like that sort of thing). But in the process, they threw a way a lot of good, stable, flexible stuff in KDE4 which they might or might not ever re-implement.

The feature loss manifests itself in 1000 tiny ways -- and if you add them all up, it becomes significant.

Instead of all that effort in redesigning the look and feel, it would have been much better if they had -- for example -- implemented a robust fix for the vsync screen tearing problem. Sure, the vsync fix is a lot more boring than getting to have fun designing new artwork -- but the vsync fix would have created, conservatively, 100 times more value per hour of development time than designing new artwork. For example, for every person who finds significant value in the new "flat" art design, there are other 100 people who were actually more bothered by the unfixed screen tearing problem.

That's the metric they don't understand: Value per hour of development time. A lot of times, the boring work of fixing bugs actually produces the maximum amount of value for the project. By focusing on low-value projects, it causes the software to advance at a much slower rate. Many people say that KDE5 is a big step backward. After spending a few days with it, I would have to agree. It's sad to see such needless self-destruction. It's not fatal -- KDE could eventually bounce back again -- but it's all so goofy because it was totally avoidable if only the developers had their priorities in the right order and focused on selecting projects that maximize the overall value of what it contributes to the software.

the feature and usability developers left, and the eye candy and social justice developers came in, thats why its in such a shit state

manchild

>they threw a way a lot of good, stable, flexible stuff in KDE4
H O L Y F U C K
O
L
Y

F
U
C
K

Please don't tell me they fucking did it again. I was there, when they switched from a perfectly usable KDE3 into the utter garbage that was KDE 4.0
>Don't worry guys
>It'll get better as we go up.
I heard that not too long ago, Plasma was finally stable and usable. And, yes for those who think and bitter and salty, I AM. I believed in helping the KDE project, I put both time and money into it. A lot of shit wasn't properly documented and they got called out on that during the switch. Their response? Disregard that, this fucker (not me but someone else) hasn't been involved in the project long enough.
THIS IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH FOSS/LINUX. They have even been called by Torvalds. Jesus Fucking Christ.

lol kubuntu 8.04 to 8.10 right?

Not even. I believe I was using Arch back then
>using Arch before it was even kool

>not using puppy linux
i can only imagine what configuring arch was like with the driver support and maturity of arch at that time lmao

They did.

Actually, not that hard. My laptop back then was a bit old, (2005/6) and Arch actually had a rudimentary install script that would the basic chores for you (launch the network daemon on ethernet with DHCP and partition the disk for you). The only things left to do were ALSA, X (which back then already had some sort of autoconfig script with hotplug) and the WiFi.

Such a fucking disgrace. Good thing now I'm a macfag.

>Instead of all that effort in redesigning the look and feel, it would have been much better if they had -- for example -- implemented a robust fix for the vsync screen tearing problem.

if you want vsync gone force the option through an xorg conf, every driver that I'm aware of supports it, the proprietary gpu drivers even allow you to disable it for fullscreen applications like games

>The focus on designing new eye-candy instead of stability/robustness/bug fixes.
That's devs in general though, in both the proprietary and FLOSS worlds.

Sellers of proprietary software hate maintaining existing software because they've already made their money on selling licenses for it, and want to reduce the cost of working on it after that. They love new features because new features bring in revenue by selling version X + 1.

FLOSS devs hate maintaining existing software becuase fixing bugs is dull, tedious work, and if there aren't any bugs to fix, then there's nothing to do at all. They love new features because new features are interesting, a blank canvas that they get to re-architect things on.

Why do you think both MS and many FLOSS operating systems are on either rolling-release schedules, or quick releases on the order of weeks to months apart, with short or zero support periods? Hint: It's not because that's what's most convenient for users.

Great. Now hopefully the KDE guys will actually implement that fix by default. It's 2017 -- no distro should be shipping with a default driver/compositor/configuration that exhibits the vsync problem. Now, somebody go tell that to the KDE guys. It doesn't matter if you can fix it by hand in xorg.conf. The vsync problem needs to be fixed BY DEFAULT in ALL desktops and ALL distros -- period.

> incompatible

Literally all of the same software runs on all of them. Wut?

Explain

>computer must be for serious computering at all times.
>arguing on Sup Forums

cowsay is v srs

>That's devs in general though, in both the proprietary and FLOSS worlds.

But in the proprietary world, they can use money to actually focus on fixing the necessary but boring bugs.

> Sellers of proprietary software hate maintaining existing software

Well, they might hate it, but if it affects the bottom line, they'll do it. For example, Microsoft tries mightily to fight off the reputation that they have an insecure, buggy, crashy OS. The way people laughed at them for the blue screen of death was a huge marketing crisis for them. That got Microsoft to spend money to work on those problems. I'm not saying Microsoft fixed everything, but they sure have made some progress over the years. Progress that simply would not have been possible if the intense pressure for corporate profits didn't exist.

The problem in FOSS is that there is no corresponding business pressure to force the developers to fix their shit. That's specifically why proprietary software can enjoy such a huge advantage over FOSS on the desktop.

>Progress that simply would not have been possible if the intense pressure for corporate profits didn't exist.
You know that over 80% of kernel devs are paid corporate employees these days, right? Companies pay them to work on whatever bits of the kernel are important to them and their specific needs.

>Companies pay them to work on whatever bits of the kernel are important to them and their specific needs.
Not that user, but I know this is true. Most relevant FOSS projects are backed by corps. None of these corps are interested in supporting a DE, making them supported mostly by actual volunteers, which very few are interested in bugfixing the boring yet usuable stuff

It'd be nice if dist-upgrade didn't bork a box. Pic related is Debian going from Jessie to Stretch with only about 600 packages installed.

All this for nodejs that isnt at v0.4 or whatever Debian uses in it's Stable branch.

> over 80% of kernel devs are paid corporate employees

Yes -- the kernel is a special case. The kernel is important enough to warrant paid corporate development. As a result, the Linux kernel is getting pretty damn good.

I was talking about everything else in FOSS -- especially the desktops and apps. That's where the quality crisis is hurting FOSS the worst.

If you want to understand why we have no "year of the Linux desktop", you need to start looking at the bumbling idiocy of projects like GNOME and KDE; and to understand the magnitude of the weaknesses in software like LibreOffice and GIMP in comparison to their proprietary counterparts.

>None of these corps are interested in supporting a DE

You don't need to go any further to get a clear understanding of why we can't have a "year of the Linux desktop".

I'm not saying that the corporations should support DE development -- that's up to them to decide. What I'm saying is that their lack of interest in doing so so far has been a major factor in holding back Linux on the desktop.

But, eye candy has electrolytes. its what plants crave

Also, the only thing broken with linux its some of its users.
Ive been using fedora LXDE for around 4 years now as my only home OS. I will never switch to anything else, its amazing

>this thread

ok

Drivers, I installed amd drivers and now linux won't even boot, oh yeah recovery mode will freeze too.

Don't see a problem, been here since... can't remember 2005 maybe.

>james

>2017
>case sensitive filenames are still a thing

Of course they are. Why would it be any other way?! Case insensitive filenames are what is insane.

You can't be serious.

>Nvidia
Maybe don't choose to buy from a company that couldn't give a fuck about the open source community? It's not like there's another manufacturer that respects open source and releases open source drivers...

Systemd needs to go

nope
install KDE

With current Samba implementation, processes just half when you try to access a mount if there's no network connection. That's pretty disgusting if you ask me.

Also often I'd be unable to unmount shares, with system complaining that the file is busy, despite lsof and fuser showing no processes are accessing the mount point.

>t. autist

Sure.

fractional scaling. I have a 1080p 13.3" laptop and 1x scaling makes UI elements too small and 2x makes them enormous. Windows 10 can do 1.5x just fine, in fact it auto detects my hardware and defaults to that on a clean install. GNOME can only scale by integers. KDE can only scale by integers as well, although they have a slider that is misleading and appears to be able to do 1.5x but really only scales the fonts up and scales the UI to integer values. So basically my laptop, and almost any other small laptop with a high resolution screen, is unusable on Linux until this is fixed.

by the way, here's the relavent bug report for GNOME / GTK. it's really disheartening how low priority this is for them, i would imagine there are thousands of laptops affected by this bug bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=720502

JBOD, what is this? The 90's?

I have 3 drives, so I can't do RAID 10, and I don't want to do RAID 1.
I want to run them in RAID 5 again.

stability

>be using Manjaro KDE
>sudo pacman -Syu
>suddenly all my software starts crashing immediately on startup

>screen tearing
>X.org
>lack of professional touch

Unlike most of the other complaints in this thread, ALSA was truly a disaster for sound on Linux. If we were still using OSS, half the problems people have with their sound hardware would disappear completely.

xkb

You "have" to do nothing like that.

You can just run mdadm RAID 5 or 6 and then btrfs on top.

OSS went closed source for a while, pretty much forcing a replacement, by the time OSS went foss again, ALSA had gained momentum

I know the story. It doesn't make it any less of a disaster.

A btrfs filesystem is capable of spanning multiple drives, so doing it natively means that btrfs can use them better (storing all of their metadata redundantly in the right places, etc.).
If you use mdadm, it can only think of it as a single block device.

>not screenfetch | ponysay -f pinkie -Wi +c '38;5;212';

That's right.

a lot of things have changed between jessie and stretch.. why didn't you just get that fucking package from backports or testing/unstable ?

and why did a dist-upgrade erase the part of your brain where you stored your password ?

Couldn't care less as a costumer why x doesn't work properly with y

It just doesn't.

RAID itself will make the metadata redundant etc. no problem.

BRTFS own filesystem level implementation has (very few) advantages, but its not really production ready to begin with.

Every commercial NAS etc out there uses mdadm RAID. It works, use it rather than the newfangled FS level toy that doesn't do anything much better.

Nothing it just werks for me

Why do you space your posts like that?

>newfangled FS level toy that doesn't do anything much better.
scrubbing and disk addition/removal are more efficient, as the raid layer is aware of the filesystem layer, it can work only with the parts of the disk that are actually in use
also, you can potentially use multiple raid levels right down to a single file

now, i'm not him, and i do currently use btrfs over mdadm, but i'd rather be using btrfs on its own

Shifty indie games and old dead games with empty communities , while popular games with big player base have no support .
Linux gaming is as dead as the day is long. Don't fool yourself..

>the shitty video drivers make them run like complete crap
maybe your enviroment is bloated to hell or something, I get 500fps with smooth input/low latency on CS:GO, CS:S, CS 1.6, Quake3, Quakeworld, Xonotic, even osu through wine. pretty much any game I've tried

why do you even use a rolling release distro in the first place?
Thats actually what happens when u use bleeding-edge distribution
full of retards this place.

All open source programming languages are not regular syntax languages. Making it a huge pain in the penis to code. For example, in math you have a vector. In C you have array, map, vector, matrix, wtf? All barely functional attempts to simulate what is known as a group in math, and the 10 associated axioms you learn in highschool algebra.