Why do the best linux distros look like macOS?

>Elementary
>Best

Because macOS is actually pretty good, it's just stuck on Apple hardware
also
>elementary
>anything other than elderly person distro

Only macfags think this is true OP

Because Communists are incapable of the design innovation that only arises from a free-market economy

>what is Cinnamon

eLeMENtarY is one of the worst distros.

they're right

skinning to look like os x is fine.
elementary OS is bad, poor compatibility, and for what

fedora + a shell theme looks and runs better

because linux is a poor mans OS X

Try apricity os

It's like elementary but instead do being based on shitbunuto it's built off of arch

Everyone knows it but dare not speak it

I just use Pantheon on Manjaro

If linux is so good, why is it still a shitty hobby OS with no UNIX certification?

Because you dont want to admit you like macos

I don't get the "this distro is bad, this distro is good" meme

they're all the fucking same but with different desktop environments

>UNIX certification
Because nobody cares enough to get it certified for every new version that comes out. Certification is not free.
Even then GNU doesn't follow the spec perfectly.

the level of macOS shilling is rapidly increasing. Unlike the IP count of this thread.
Some have different package managers and repositories. The most respected here are Debian, Fedora and arch-based distros. Also distros like openSUSE are deeply infused with their DE creating maximum comf

both of those things are arability a package manger can run on any distribution and repositories are meaningless

The are UNIX certified Linux distributions.

all of them look like macOS. literally the second result in google images for 'fedora OS' I know its not an os but still

the certification coast money and linus did not want to pay

looks mean nothing any distribution can look like macOS

>fedora 13
>2011
fuckin 'ell mate. You are a special kind of retarded aren't you? What GNU/Linux distro HAVE you used?
This is true but it may fuck your system up heavily. Extracting a package manager from one distro to the other is extremely bothersome

Who here misses when Fedora was Fedora Core?

Debian doesn't look like MacOS.

Freetardism. The OpenGroup provided certification for a symbolic price of 1USD and Linux did not pass.

Mine looks nothing like MacOS

>Only macfags think this is true OP
I tend to agree with this

In reality, OP... You likely only think certain Linux Distros are 'the best' because they look like MacOS, and you are used to MacOS, and it makes you feel comfy... thus to you, these distros are "the best" not due to any objective standards

Fedora is my choice for desktop. I use Fedora LXDE... cant say Ive used fedora Core before, I only switched to Fedora around 2 years ago

But I do gotta say, Fedora is definitely on the upper-tier of the Linux echelon

Also, my Fedora looks nothing like MacOS, OP

indeed there is the alternative of compiling from source but you might as well be running slackware or gentoo if you want that

Just make a hackintosh, freetard.

yes yes yes! (have a twingo)

yeah it does

Only the worst distros look like MacOS. The decent distros just look like a normal OS and the best distros don't look at all.

I used to use bootcamp on my MacOS to run Arch. OSX is a dumb man's Linux.

WHY ISN'T THIS MADE YET?

OSX and linux are just scrambled Unix

papyros has been in development for years now, I'm sure it's just vaporware at this point

Looks like they joined with some other developer who also were making a similar OS.

>Retard-friendly DE that manages to be heavier than it has any right to be and literally only has an appearance some find pleasant as its selling point
>Good

I will agree it's a lot like OSX in those regards, though.

Because linux skipped all the red tape bullshit and became overwhelmingly popular.

Linux is the new standard, and UNIX is struggling to keep up.

Because it's what people know. For the longest time they looked like windows clones. Hell, IceWM is a straight windows 95 rip.
Shit, look at KDE. Windows is even ripping shit off of them lately. UX design is largely iterative these days since most people don't want to be bothered to learn an entirely new paradigm.

Oh god, it's more Google cancer.

>Linux is good enough and still trying to catch up with UNIX from 2005 (ie Solaris)
ftfy

please name 3 solaris features that don't have an effective equivalent on linux

>buying a mac to run linux

POSIX is a meme.

UNIX was always shit, but it was the majority marketshare back in the day, thus if your shit was compatible with UNIX, that made it more functional.

Trying to be UNIX compatible in 2016 when desktop/servers/phones are 99% Windows/Linux is retarded.

SMF > systemshit
solaris zones > lxd shit
Dtrace > whatever gnutards shat out that they say "is just as good"

Maybe when you use a fedora flavor that looks like macOs, does it look like mac OS. mine looks nothing like MacOs.
see:

I don't use systemd, there are a variety of init systems for linux. Systemd just needs time to actually be developed, it has a lot of interesting features.

What makes solaris zones better than linux containers? I was under the impression that solaris zones had worse performance

I really don't know enough about dtrace, but strace and ltrace work well enough for me

>why do the best linux distros look like macOS?
Looks are the most important aspect of a computer.
All that matters are looks.

second post best post

how is the port?

>how is the port?
>manjaro doing anything competently

>installing anything other than MS windows via bootcamp
Nice try poorfag. Wanna know how I know you're full of shit?

>OSX is a dumb man's Linux.
Not that user but I unironically enjoy OSX for this very reason

>can use zsh just fine
>good app support.
>don't have to worry about if the DE looks good or not
>if something breaks, I'll just wait until the next patch, instead of spending endless hours reading wikis and forums trying to find a solution that matches my hardware config.

>Also, my Fedora looks nothing like MacOS, OP
*tips*

>What makes solaris zones better than linux containers? I was under the impression that solaris zones had worse performance

So you don't know what zones are or how they work, but then you try to call it shit. oy vey

Why are the best looking girls attractive?

because that's your judgement criteria

>GNOME
>best anything

OP confirmed for never using OS X or Linux

GUHNOME is a fucking GNU/nightmare. GUHOME is GNU/garbage. GNOME looks like shit, GNOME works like shit, and everything based on gtk is infected with the worst kind of cancer and retardation. As it also is for everything ever touched by freedesktop.

OS X is actually good compared to that fucktardation. Helps it was based on nextstep instead of a bunch of random ideas thrown together by self-aggrandising smug bastards that unironically associate with commugnists and unironically think they know what good UX is

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>Referring to OSX by its Twitter memename
You are the shill here

Everyone knows the only rice you can do is opening up frameless jpgs

debian doesnt even default to a gui

any distro with a proper emerald theme desu
pic related

give me a run down of whats installed

It also looks like trash. Coincidence?

>best
Because degenerates on Sup Forums consider what OSX offers to be "good" while pretending to be tech-literate and shaming mac or windows users for choosing crowd-oriented production.

But what they really want is to be able to browse internet, watch cartoons and install some shit via terminal to feel an accomplished c001 h4x0r - which is exactly what OSX offers. Meanwhile, linux distros are supposed to be used for getting shit done - not as facebook machines or desktop systems. They don't fit the real needs of an average Sup Forums user.

Why won't all of the Sup Forums just moves to macs and leave this place forever - I don't know.

t. someone who actually hates macs.

I'll help you out as much as I can, but I am missing some information.
>Mate
>Background is pic related
>Dock is cario-dock
>gtk/qt theme is a modified Arc theme (looks like he removed the blue highlights
>He is using two icon themes. One of them is vertex icons

Help a nigga out. All I need is his other icon theme and his emerald theme

harsh but fair

Hmm, they don't.

Best is obviously highly subjective, but elementaryOS specifically just isn't very good.

They made a great DE and they made some great default applications, but it came with a lot of technical debt when it comes to languages like Vala. They don't have PPA enabled by default, which is pretty much the only reason to make your own distro based on Ubuntu.

I mean, really, if they made it an official Ubuntu flavor, meaning they released alongside Ubuntu releases and had to adhere to some of the Ubuntu ways of doing things, I think I'd like it more. At the same time, this would also force them to release what I call "interim" releases, meaning not only the LTS builds of Ubuntu like they do now. To me everything other than LTS to come out from Ubuntu seems like a waste of man hours, so even more so for the Elementary guys.

So no, the "best" (extremely relative) distros do not look like macOS.

thats one of the best linux environments I've seen and it looks like macOS.

also OT, why didn't linux come up with its own window managing solution? every distro I've seen either copied the task bar from windows or the dock from OSX.

Because then even less people will use linux

Because in general, it's much easier to emulate something that already looks good than it is to make something original that also looks good. Budgie also looks great because it's modeled after W7/Chrome OS.

Pantheon is just a nerfed and dumbed down GNOME. I personally just use vanilla Ubuntu for the global menu's saved pixels and make it look like macOS.

>also OT, why didn't linux come up with its own window managing solution? every distro I've seen either copied the task bar from windows or the dock from OSX.
GNOME tried that with its overview and Dash to Dock is one of the most popular GNOME extensions. Nothing has come close to beating the usability and familiarity of a dock/taskbar when it comes to window management on a PC.

>dumbed down GNOME
More like a non retarded version of Gnome.

Bunsenlabs proves you wrong.

Pantheon is more usable out of the box, but Pantheon's layout can easily be replicated with a couple GNOME extensions. I'd rather take the hassle of "setting up" GNOME than give up all of its extensibility.

And the calendar and online accounts integration alone makes it win out over Pantheon for me. There's also the fact that Pantheon is written in a moreorless abandoned language using outdated libraries.

I really hope they streamline GNOME and ease up on the inexplicably stupid design choices though. There's some things in GNOME that are really just silly, and if not, it feels as if they're being different just for the sake of being so. Example: the "legacy tray" in the bottom left corner.

Modern MacOS is just a worse version of gnome 3

Debian/KDE looks nothing like macos

That's not Crypt OS

KDE Plasma is the only DE that continues to innovate.

Prove me wrong.

KDE is basically just continued development of the classic windows style that Microsoft abandoned after windows 7

Except thankfully, this seems to be an instance where it happened in the other direction. Two small and meaningless projects distracting resources from better distros combined into one.

POSIX is a meme.

UNIX was always shit, but it was the majority marketshare back in the day, thus if your shit was compatible with UNIX, that made it more functional.

Trying to be UNIX compatible in 2016 when desktop/servers/phones are 99% Windows/Linux is retarded.

>kde
nice touchscreen support

Cublinux