Is there any reason to use any version of debian at all?

Is there any reason to use any version of debian at all?

Think about it. The stable version is old software from 3 years ago, The testing branch is broken as fuck and the unstable branch is basically just arch except not as good.

Why the hell even use it?

because for 99% of packages I don't give a shit if they're old. For the ones I do care about (I can count them on one hand), there's backports.

depends how much you value stability relative to being "bleeding edge"

>The stable version is old software from 3 years ago
I think it's actually 4 years.

>The testing branch is broken as fuck
Not much more so than fedora which updates every 6 months.

>and the unstable branch is basically just arch except not as good.
More packages and architectures and competent devs who actually contribute upstream (to the linux kernel and GCC among other things) makes it superior to arch. Arch is garbage for dumbfags.

I use Slackware, I don't give a shit how old a package is as long as it works and doesn't have any massive security vulnerabilities that haven't been patched

>Not much more so than fedora which updates every 6 months.
Not any more than fedora*

>arch except absolutely guaranteed to not break on upgrades

I want my OS to work and work all the time.
Stable + backports for necessary stuff.
I'll totally fuck around in VMs with snapshots though so I can learn what went wrong and fix it without the need for a recovery boot.

The only reason to use Debian is if you already use Debian.

most linux software is in a stable state and doesn't require urgent bug fixes or new features because they're reliable and feature complete.

The old adage about software updates very much applies here.
if you don't need the fixes, don't upgrade.

for newer projects that haven't matured yet, you can backport or install them from the source yourself.

>I think it's actually 4 years.
Jessie's on 3.16 LTS which was released in August 2014, so about two and a half years. Stretch is gonna be on 4.9 LTS when it gets released in a few months. Releases are generally about two years apart these days.

this

for most things you care about security updates and nothing else

debian stable still has that silly gvfsd-smb-browse bug that causes 100% cpu usage if you click the network icon in the file manager.

that is not very confidence inspiring...

debian stretch when?

April or May, probably.

Debian BTFO ; suicide watch.

debian is the best core distro

you can build servers or media centers or steam devices

my personal distro is based off testing

i really like that is it a firm believer in seperation of license and it has hard stances on GNU

yeah its a tad schizophrenic.

thats why i use LMDE - linux mint debian edition

it sits perfectly between idiosyncracies of stock debian and full mint

Debian is the gold standard. It's stable, works well with a vast array of configurations, and is easy to set up and maintain.

There is no reason to consider any other distro except maybe Devuan.

I can't believe everyone is falling for the systemd meme

Nor can I, my guess is they killed that Debian guy over it. It's still possible to get rid of it in Debian 8 but who knows for how long?

I might just go full FreeBSDTard here soon and never look back.

Really? Didn't they just freeze Stretch? Didn't it take like a year from Jessie freeze to Jessie release?

couldn't you at least look up the definition of a stable distribution before you make an idiot out of yourself ?

i didnt found another distro that is comfy and fits on my 16gb flash drive

use slackware

Just use Alpine or Void.

>two distros I never heard of before
>might not be around in a few years
Naaahhhhhhh, I'll stick to a bigger distro or roll my own, or most likely go BSD and never look back.

BSD sucks. Windows 95 has better hardware support than BSD.

That's bullshit you tard. There are some chinkshit wintel wireless cards that suck under BSD but it supports most hardware devices just fine.

I just clicked it and nothing happened, no CPU usage bug on i386.

>testing is broken
Nice meme.

I've been using testing on three different laptops and a desktop for the past 8 years. Never had a problem.