Why does logicalincrements suggest an 850w PSU for an i7+1080? Is thefalcon dumb...

Why does logicalincrements suggest an 850w PSU for an i7+1080? Is thefalcon dumb? It is massively overkill for a single GPU, and a 650w PSU would be perfectly fine.

Other urls found in this thread:

valid.x86.fr/bench/8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Probably because a person with that sort of disposable income is likely to purchase upgrades and add-ons.

If you are shelling out for a 1080 dont skimp out on the PSU.

Wait for ayyyyyyyymmmmmd zen

The price hike isnt that high and leaves a lot of room for future upgrades
including 2/3 way sli

What happens if you add a shitload of hard drives and other random stuff?

It hardly matters as long as it's gold, platinum or titanium. No such thing as an outdated PSU, it's the one component where overkill is just future proofing.

I'd rather get instead of a cheaper, higher power PSU, a more efficient, higher quality 650w platinum/titanium seasonic.

i7-4960X + GTX 1080 *TOTAL* system power consumption

Enjoy your overkill PSUs

Drives eat like 5w. SSDs probably even less.

because he's an idiot from a third world shithole

The options for two GPUs is in that tier too.

Power supplies operate at peak efficiency at 50% load, so that i7 and 1080 will run the PSU at around its peak efficiency.
Also, it leaves a really easy upgrade path, and overhead for overclocking.

My Man, are you going to add the Intel 600p series to the guide?
Seems like it is the best entry level NVMe drive, only slightly more costly than Samsung 850 EVO, but with triple the read speeds.

man you are worse than daiz in how you autistically stalk this board for attention

Because Jordan gets payed to run the site.
All intel go figure.

Nah, I am an AMD enthusiast, but until Ryzen comes out, I can't actually recommend buying AMD CPU's.

I will compare it to the MyDigitalSSD BPX I have right now, and see if it is better. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm not sure which fantasy land you live on where any currently available AMD cpus get anywhere close to being high-end

The only downside that I know of is that they go into a "Read Only" mode after 72TB of writes, but that will take most users a few years to actually do that.

80+ plat is fine efficiency wise at all loads except below 20%. So just buy a decent psu instead.

why 750 for the Outstanding tier though? i have a 1070 and i5 6600k but i ended up getting a EVGA G2 550W. im pretty sure a lot of people with a similar system would be around 250-300 watts at load and hardly ever going near 500+

When was a R7 240 highend?
When was a celeron highend?

The point is that the CPU's exist, but aren't being placed on the board.
Sure you can argue IPC. But moar cores, and price point.
Just seems shifty.

Why would you buy a plat PSU unless you have too much money, or want to hardcore OC and need the most stable PSU you can get your hands on...

Becuse current dual core pentiums and i3's outperform the 4/6000 series FX, and 8000 FX don't make sense.

Skimping on the PSU only means buying shit ones, not ones with power ratings that make sense for the system.

AMD doesn't have a competitive low end either.
Least in CPU land.

>8000 FX don't make sense.
But it does.
valid.x86.fr/bench/8

I have an [email protected], but I wouldn't recommend it over an i5-6400.

Personal opinion shouldn't come into play when recommending hardware. The chips have their places. Put them there.

> The chips have their places
That place isn't on logicalincrements consumer guide, and anyone that wants something like a Vishera core will probably know what they want and why they want it.
Logicalincrements is not for those people.

Getting a 4 year old processor that was mediocre when new is pretty dumb.

Maybe if you're going after a super-cheap used one it makes sense but buying new makes you a retard, buying into the 'underdog' because you think it's cool.

More like 25w you tech illiterate nigger

Yeah, nah, you're a retard.

>

HDDs are in the 5-10W range.
SSDs are in the 1-2W range.
Of course the 2.5inch hard drives use less power than a beefy 3.5inch

Good point. I will swap to 650W gold for that tier when I update next. Thanks!

Can someone redpill me on PSUs?

>he doesnt run his PSU at 50% load for optimal efficiency and longevity

Tip top kekarooney desu senpai

>Is thefalcon dumb?
Short story, yes. I'm on an i7, a 1070 and a 650W PSU myself.

But 50% of an 650w is exactly what that picture shows, 325w. The 850w logicalincrements suggest would be over the 50% figure (425w).

And those are load numbers, PC will be mostly idle unless you gaym 24/7, so even then the 650w will be too much for the 50% efficiency.

logical increments is the dumbest meme of all time. I really hate it. It's only half decent for putting together really cheap PCs and even then none of the guides are really that solid

>switching from a HDD to an SSD can save me 5w of energy
>this leads to an entire extra hour of battery life
HDDs are a really bad meme

It's a margin of safety so that you can add stuff later

PSUs don't get mad at you if you only use 20% of their power

500W are enough even with the two GTX 1070.

Falcon are job applications still open?
Mexico list could use some help also a translation.

that would be retarded high power draw, most HDDs draw 8-15w at max power draw, and 99% of the time, it isn't doing max power draw anyway.

And further, who the fuck would have enough HDDs all spun up at once, all fully loaded, while the CPU, AND GPU are also fully loaded?

You don't need a PSU that can handle ALL YOUR SHIT GOING AT ONCE, because you've probably never had all of your shit pulling full power at once unless you forced it to with a stress test or similar.

PSUs' efficiency usually peaks at around 50% load, so it makes sense to get something like an 800 W. I have a 650 W 80+ platinum for my RX 480 + Xeon E3-1230V2.