Other urls found in this thread:

reactos.org/archives/public/ros-dev/2010-January/012709.html
playonlinux.com/en/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>devs being that retarded to do screenshots this time

>crowfunding got them cash
>community votes that the new paid dev should work on word 2007
>he actually made it work, the absolute madman

Makes me regret that I didn't continue my osdev hobby past 2004. Went deep into it, made certain parts of OS and a usable GUI from zero back then. Could have probably made a better ReactOS by now myself.

They would but every time they took a screenshot, it BSOD'd

Why use it when posready 09 exists?

> open-source windows
Can't you read?

>tfw in ten years we might have the current autodesk inventer running on it.

How is it better than Windows XP?

It's free (as in freedom).

It is not. It IS alpha.

But i guess having support for more filesystems is a pro.

Also it is waaaay more lightweight

Lol.

>Also it is waaaay more lightweight
Does that really help? I have an old shitty HP laptop and Windows XP handles internet browsing way better than any "lightweight" distro I've tried.

It's alpha. I wouldn't recommend installing it for serious use.

Can ReactOS run Firefox? If not, I suggest just sticking with XP.

No but you asked for pros. Also it is not linux, it is windows from scratch

>Also it is not linux, it is windows from scratch
Oh, cool. That intrigues me.

Yes.

Yes it can. But:

> no wifi
> lack of most drivers
> no OS updater or package manager

Sure thing bud

Cease and desist when?

How does it compare to TinyXP?

Then he should keep XP.

HOLY SHIT

You won't be able to use it though. It installs on no hardware, supports nothing (tell me when USB 2.0 support is there) and is highly unstable.

it does install, though

how many people work on this project ?

>You won't be able to use it though
I just did this to show off. the machine uses 512MB ram normally.

> It installs on no hardware
Anything really old(early2000) should be fine.

Especially loves Core 2 Duos(which is what i use every day)

>supports nothing (tell me when USB 2.0 support is there)

Yes, but at least USB 1.1 works

> and is highly unstable.

Yes but not as much as it was though

for an opensource project it is quite a lot

>No USB 2.0
WTF

Can I rice it like on linux?

ITT people don't realize that the closer we get to making an Open-Source clone of Windows, the closer we get to being able to integrate full support for Windows programs into Linux or other open-source OSes, officially BTFOing Microsoft.

>Soon we will have MUH FREEDOMS, MUH GAYMES and MUH HARDWARE SUPPORT all in one OS.

Can rice more than windows.

A lot of code (particularly userspace) is shared with wine.

N-No, t-this can't be happening!

user, don't you want to play our new open world first person sandbox adventure that is exclusive to Win10?
W-we h-have DirectX 13 which improves your framerate by 1%!!!

Just be a good goy and sunbscribe to our Windows Service For Lifeā„¢

> officially BTFOing Microsoft
It's not even that for me.
> Windows without Metro UI
> Runs everything and on everything
Someday it should be like that.

this
it's such a flawed concept
it will never get close to being finished, and if and when it will - they will get sued

>soon
>SOON
remind me in 2183

You know, now that Microsoft literally stopped real Windows development after Win 7. This has a real chance of catching up.

Since they're reverse-engineering and writing it all themselves they should be in the clear. The best they could hope to do is force them to change the visual style really.

A man can dream. If this matured enough to let me run all muh older games I'd move to Linux. (pretty sure these guys share dev work with WINE as well, so the better this gets, the better WINE gets)

>Still in Alpha
bottomleft kek

My sides

what will happen when apple will patent the patent?

>some autists in the late 80's/early 90's decide to make open source UNIX clones
>ten years later, BSD and GNU (even though GNU it's not a UNIX clone, it is UNIX-like)
>some autist in the 90's decides to make open source Windows clone
>20 years later it's still in pre-alpha state

Why?

I'm glad they have been making so much progress lately.

It's incredibly unstable. Not even suitable for dicking around in games

That's like windows ME/2000 level I think which is about correct as far as software compatibility but not stability.

UNIX is simple, well documented and ancient.

Windows is a complex, propriety target that keeps updating.

Research Unix was distributed with source code. Windows isn't. Also Windows NT is a hell of a lot more complex

Bad business model

for the same reasons nobody has ever done anything with minix i imagine

WINE(makes up the userland of ReactOS) is fairly compatible with older games, if they can get ReactOS stable and improve hardware support they might have a market. Especially if they can get it to support modern filesystems

microshit already tried to sue them saying they stole stuff from the leaked source which put the whole project on hold for quite a while.

Why not just use Playonlinux and wine? It just fucking works, i've got office 2010 and Photoshop working flawlessly.

wine and react are tightly related.

Rather than strapping support for Windows things onto another OS, they want to create their own Free and Open NT-alike in the same way Linux created a Free and Open UNIX

well fek, that does sound like a good idea although this will take a good 10 years to come to fruition.

ReactOS uses WINE as its userland and WINE uses parts of ReactOS as well. The projects collaborate to improve compatibility as a whole and to lighten the load on each other. It's also pretty neat having another FOSS operating system especially one that is compatible with such a huge amount of software.

I don't think is fair to compare the development of those communities.
In first place ReactOS was going to be only a Win9x clone, but at some point they wanted to make a NT clone as well, so the other project was scrapped.
Then some fag used Windows code on ReactOS and a shitload of legal problems happened, a lot of devs left and they had to ditch a lot of the advances they had.
Then, after the shitstorm, they decided that the approach they were given to the OS was not the best and they got in contact with WINE devs and rewrite almost everyting they had at that moment, except the kernel and other minor things.
Basically ReactOS, as we now, is a project that started after 2010, so that's the time that we most put in consideration.

reactos.org/archives/public/ros-dev/2010-January/012709.html

Linux has nothing to do with UNIX, it's just a kernel.

GNU is not a UNIX clone nor is it intended to be one. Stallman only chose to make GNU UNIX-like because the code was available and pretty much every other OS at the time was UNIX, so he would ensure there would be developers and software compatible with GNU from the beggining, but it is not 100 % POSIX compliant, both the community and developers don't care if they break compatibility with other UNIX systems (systemd, GCC, etc.) And it contains a lot of nonstandard software.

ReactOS is more alike to BSD, since BSD is actually an open source UNIX clone.

THE POOS ARE GETTING WORRIED!

>implying it's not more likely that Microsoft will go bankrupt and will end up releasing their source code

This reeks of revisionism. GNU OS was always intended to be a Unix-alike and run POSIX-compliant warez from the beginning.

It's actually a lot more stable than I remember though my RCT demo causes it crash and hang. I guess magical assembly hacking is too much for it right now

>I want to sound smart so I'm going to argue semantics!

MS already forced a code audit via court order afaik. They didn't find any MS code.

Lmfao no you couldn't have. Alex ionescu is literally one of the best reverse engineers in the world and knows more about NT than most people on the kernel team

screen shots still not supported in this version

They should work on hardware support instead of software support. Make it actually work in something that isn't VirtualBox.

>2017
>reinventing the GNU/Linux

>I didn't read the thread

Bait, ignorant or retarded?

Not either.
There is no need in any other OS than GNU/Linux and BSD families.

So retarded.

>Duh Windows!
>Duh OS!
Malware-fanboy, try harder.

>playonlinux
>play
CHILDREN

BTW best games native on GNU, install Steam, this it.

Has anoyone tried RDP to a windows machine?

>highly unstable
Still more usable than the original.

Because remaking winshit is an astoundingly retarded idea

Please educate yourself before posting, POL is a front end for wine. playonlinux.com/en/
>Playing games on linux
I'm sorry but I like to do work on my laptop, not fuck around.

You're a fucking idiot, it was made for research and providing documentation for undocumented winapi calls

will they ever clone it so well that the backdoors and botnet stuff works?

Win2k source code has been available online since at least 2004. Which probably helped them a lot to understand some parts, but of course they can't use any code from there.

No, it did not help them at all. It set them back a lot.

The source code being leaked to the public doesn't help because they cannot use it and people who have viewed it cannot become developers. It's actually a huge hindrance to have someone leak the source code of a project you're trying to reverse engineer. Microsoft used the leak as justification to call for a complete audit of the project and the project had to fire some of their lead devs

Why nobody created an os using that code?

Clearly they do it this way to illustrate that it's running on real hardware.

All these haters complaining about ReactOS.
A lot of normies still use really old legacy software and microsoft fucked then by providing no backwards compatibility whatsoever. There are some old software that runs flawlessly in ReactOS on old computers.

>I don't know what ReactOS is but I hate Windows and I want to seem intelligent to anonymous users

A lot of normies are used to Windows, and that's one of the reasons they don't switch to GNU/Linux. If ReactOS gets to a useable state, there will be literally no reason to use Microsoft Windows anymore.

But reverse engineering is a break of EULA, why did they allow it?

Because it would be illegal. Even if they did make an OS based on it, they wouldn't be able to distribute it.

The leaked code has a proprietary license so it can't be used in free software.

Sounds like a gigantic fucking waste of time :^)

>EULA
>meaning anything outside of US

Reverse engineering is not illegal, EULA don't mean jackshit. The methods you can use to reverse engineer can vary by country though. ReactOS is being built using a "clean room" method which is legal basically everywhere even America. Basically the person who reverses the product cannot be the one to create the new product with clean room re-implementations. It's an entirely new set of code that happens to be functionally equivalent.

Almost like using another kernel written by a college student that barely functions