>it's better
fuck you
>monitor goes to sleep
>disconnects from windows
>wake it up
>all desktop icons and windows get shuffled around
>programs not expecting this behaviour crash
>Vesa literally says it's not a bug but a feature
The worst thing is that if I want to keep 2160p60, there is no other options. No one makes good monitors that can do such res over HDMI 2.0.
>pic related. proof that something that's for free cannot be good.

Other urls found in this thread:

displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>wintoddler is mad at winblows
>he's throwing a tantrum
>he's making threads on mongolian toon image board
>he thinks this will help.
Is your mom around, kid? Tell her to read this and to up the med dosage.

How the hell can you fuck something up so badly? Just, don't use computers anymore. It's not for you.

>>disconnects from windows
What did you mean by this?

Anyway, I really doubt this is a universal problem with DP, otherwise it would be known by now.
Maybe a driver issue, a "non-standard" monitor...

Tell it to VESA engineers
It is well known. Google is full of this and apparently it's just an energy saving feature with no option to disable it.

I've never used display port
what makes it so special from hdmi?
it's the last slot I have left on gpu and I wanna plug something into it

main advantages:
not proprietary (or so im told)
almost always supports other refresh rates like 144hz
doesnt waste space for audio transmission

>audio transmission

DisplayPort includes the exact same audio support as HDMI

The "problem" OP is talking about is that DisplayPort actually disconnects from the GPU before the monitor shuts off, whereas most HDMI and DVI ports on monitors don't. So the OS naturally tries to move icons and windows somewhere they won't be inaccessible.

It feels so good to plug it in

I've never had a single issue with display port.

And it's so annoying when you want to unplug it in a hard to reach place.

Wtf are you saying? Never happened to me.

The ONLY issue I get with my monitor, which I'm not sure if its:
>my monitor
>the DP connection
>the GPU itself
>drivers for the GPU
but occasionally, I'll get a blackout for a second. The screen will just go black and then go back to normal.
Nothing fucky otherwise, but its seemingly random.

I think OP is just a faggot.

>monitor goes to sleep
Adjust your energy settings maybe?

you smell like shit

Get a new dp cable. It is a common problem with shit cables.

>windows
>Desktop icons

just end it

I had that problem. I changed which dp port i was using on the gpu and its been fine

He means application windows. Hes using vesa and not mesa which is likely the problem

HDMI actually does the same shit
I'm pretty sure only DVI might not

I get something like this except I have to restart the pc to come back
It only happened twice and I can't reproduce intentionally

What the fuck are you talking about
I use displayport on a 4k monitor and that literally never happens to me

turn off sleep anything retard

Yeah, that is annoying. Though it's not difficult to just not let the monitor go to sleep.

You can set Windows to put the display to sleep instead of the monitor settings itself like a normal person

On Windows?
Thought so.

The new HDMI is supposed to do 4k and 8k at 60hz.

This is a Windows issue, you can fix it by getting a headless display

But then the monitor would still be on, right? What's the point of that? If I'm going to try and save energy, I might as well do it properly.

No it won't be on. It'll be asleep but not off. Don't time your display to go off by itself, that's just dumb

>No it won't be on. It'll be ... but not off.
Same shit mister semantic, it'll still use power as opposed to when it's off. I was thinking of turning the monitor off manually anyway, with the power button.

>Be smart
>Use dual link dvi

>He cares about the $0.30 he'll save a year from his monitor in sleep mode
You're retarded. The problem is only if the display would stay on which it doesn't

>not proprietary (or so im told)
that's wrong
All digital connectors these days are proprietary licensed and full of botnet DRM support

>You're retarded.
>The problem is only if the display would stay on which it doesn't
That's pretty ironic. That sentence does not make sense, the problem only occurs when the display turns off. And even if you're talking about a different "problem" it's still faulty, because different monitors definitely still use a significant amount of power in "windows sleep mode".

>monitor goes to sleep
>complain on the internet about it

what a retard, honestly

How do you do this? I can't find any setting that actually makes it go to sleep. I've set it to go to sleep after 60 minutes in advanced power settings, but it just stays on.

>Monitor is on
>Display is off
It's not hard. It'll automatically turn back on as soon as it detects change in input like moving your mouse

That's what fucks up Windows though.

Works on my machine . jpg

Same setup as you too: windows 10 on a 4k monitor with displayport 1.2

well maybe you should take your beef with Microsoft and not the engineers at vesa

>This solves the issue!
>But not for you :^)

Don't know your problem m8 if it's only you and not me or anyone else ITT blame yourself and not other people

It's also literally the OP mate.

I know you retarded dumbass I'm saying that I don't know what the cause is

My monitor doesn't have any settings for powering off, all my display sleep settings are in Windows.

However, I can say that I often turn my monitor off leaving windows on because I'm going to bed and don't want to wait a half hour for it to time out, and I also don't get the problem you're saying.

>its an OP gets defeated by a 10 dollar cable episode

>I know you retarded dumbass I'm saying that I don't know what the cause is
No you said it was a very specific problem only for me, which is just not true and absolutely not the same as "I don't know the solution". You should learn how to properly communicate what you want to say.

>and I also don't get the problem you're saying.
If your monitor goes to sleep, it disconnects, which results in Windows reconfiguring the desktop resolution and stuff. How difficult can that be?

I'm not sure who is to blame but I had this problem with 4K DP in Windows since 2015. Disappeared after I switched to an Nvidia GPU.

Works on my Macâ„¢

Not him but holy shit you are retarded.

Windows goes to sleep --> monitor sees no input and goes to sleep.

The monitor doesn't go to sleep before the OS goes to sleep unless you have fucked up the monitors settings. My monitor doesn't even have a time out setting because it works like every other fucking monitor and goes to sleep once the OS tells it to go to sleep.

Your issue is probably this

Apparently there is a way to have your monitor go to sleep when Windows tells it to though. I'm not talking about Windows going to sleep. I'm not the one that brought up Windows telling a monitor to go to sleep.

How could a cable even be the problem? It would only happen if the monitor goes to sleep, and I've personally used multiple cables.

I said both. I said it's your fault and I don't know the solution. I also expanded upon the only difference I could possibly find between my set up and yours, and this guy who isn't retarded
knew what I was saying

That's me mate.

Works for me on Loonix

Windows has three methods of sleep.
1. Windows tells the display to turn off because its not being used. Os stays up so that it can continue running shit.
2. Windows goes to sleep, and so does the monitor. This is known as suspend to ram on OS' that aren't made by curryniggers.
3. Hibernate/Suspend to disk.

I can't speak for winshit 10 but on all other versions icons don't re-arrange themselves unless the monitor is physically disconnected. Either on purpose or through a faulty cable.

Also as was mentioned numerous times throughout the thread this is a design flaw in windows and doesn't happen elsewhere.

Works on my machine

>1. Windows tells the display to turn off because its not being used. Os stays up so that it can continue running shit.
That's not what people in this thread said, which is what I was basing my posts on. Also, I'd call that the monitor turning off when Windows tells it to. If you think that's "Windows going to sleep" then I can see why you'd think I was talking about Windows going to sleep.

>I can't speak for winshit 10 but on all other versions icons don't re-arrange themselves unless the monitor is physically disconnected. Either on purpose or through a faulty cable.
It also happens on Windows 7. The monitor disconnects when it goes to standby, at least in my specific situation. The cables are fine.

There isn't a single rare in that image

>Never had this issue at 1440p144 via display port
>works on my machine :^)

Also, it only happens if there's another monitor still connected.

OP's problem happens to me as well. When the monitor is power cycled my (W7) desktop acts as though it's unplugged/plugged back in. Sounds included. I think the resolution fuckery may be due to having a secondary non-DP monitor. My desktop defaults to 1080 (second monitor over hdmi) until my primary 1440p over DP turns back on, and it adjusts the desktop resolution. There's always a gap in desktop icons, and it can fuck up window sizes and positioning if they weren't minimized.

kys

I spent days looking into this. Turns out its a monitor issue not a cable issue. The monitor is supposed to keep a certain pin up on DP while connected and on mine it just doesn't. (Dell 4k monitor). Technically the monitor doesn't implement DP correctly, causing windows to think the monitor is disconnected.

He's right, display port does disconnect the monitor from windows when it goes to sleep

That connector looks so cuute. >~<
It's got little eyes popping up!

is that what it is? I always thought its the shitty windows that is causing this fuck up.

fucking DP acting like a little bitch for some reason

happens to me as well. my workaround is to plug in hdmi along DP and force windows to only display on the DP monitor. when i turn it off it falls back to HDMI and the resolution doesnt get changed
honestly DP is a fucking headache and it makes me miss DVI. every single other standard just werks without problems but DP cables rarely follow the standard with results in the monitor being "unplugged" when its shut off compared to the others that know the monitor is still plugged in but asleep

DP *is* technically superior to HDMI. Unfortunately all the added complexity of HPD, AUX, link training, framing, etc. means that a good implementation is significantly harder to produce. Thus buggy DP implementations have proliferated while the simpler HDMI/DVI stuff mostly just works.

Do I need to turn off the power saving mode from this particular monitor?

>help my thing is acting like a thing and windows is waking up and remembering that it was windows
t h e
w h o l e
t i m e

That's entirely down to your monitor's shitty handling of DisplayPort. My U2414H was the same. Upgraded to a better monitor and all the problems went away.

this

>keeping stuff on a desktop
normie get out reeeee

Just tested this with Windows 10 on my ASUS VG248QE by
1. Turning the display off manually
2. Setting sleep mode on the display
3. Setting sleep mode by windows and disabling it on the monitor
4. Physically removing the power connector

On HDMI, DVI, and Display Port it did nothing to my icons in any scenario and kept all my advanced display settings. The only time I have issues is when attempting to switch to HDMI with too high of a refresh rate or when switching from my 1080p monitor to my 4k tv.

For reference I'm using an r9 fury with the latest drivers.

Not had a single one of those problems with mine,

Okay, I had the same problem with Dell as well, the U2711. Never bothered to try with other monitors over DP because of that experience. Guess we can conclude that Dell's stupid.

he will not divide us

fixd for you, lier

Works on my machine :)

Used to have a similar problem with Dell 2515h,when switching to a 1080p hdmi input, then back to 1440p display per, it would rearrange all the open windows. An update somewhere did fix it though, think it was a graphics update.

Makes a lot of sense. My Samsung 4k monitor doesn't have this issue. Hope OP understands

VESA is not responsible for how GPUs deal with monitor connections nor for how windows deals with GPUs.

This isn't even a case of backwards compatibility, this is an entirely new connector.

fug
my Acer has this issue, really thought it was just DP

i was literally just looking for solutions to this problem before spotting your thread.

while putting my win10 machine to sleep, my secondary monitor (DVI) gets "disconnected," and on wake all the windows that were on the (DVI) monitor end up on my main monitor (DisplayPort.)

all of you seem to be having issues directly with DP. for me it seems to be the opposite, because everything from my non-DP monitor is ending up on my DP monitor on wake (if im reading your posts right; im a bit groggy.) however i never had a single issue when i was using two monitors plugged into my GPU via HDMI/DVI.

Dumb animeposter

OP

Make sure your displayport monitor is set to the primary. I used to use speakers over HDMI and what would happen is when I woke up windows, it would try to power on the primary monitor first, and it would try the hdmi one and my icons would get shuffled around too.

>Buttmad wintoddlers
hahah

I've been having OP's issues, and the monitor that had the issues was my primary monitor. Seems the issue is a shitty implementation of DP on certain monitors.

OP here. This might be the case. I have Dell P2415Q

>>Vesa literally says it's not a bug but a feature

Vesa is correct, Windows is fucked. Resizing everything to fit some small resolution upon monitor power off is retarded, deal with it.

go back to your containment board on reddit you cuck

go back to . we don't need wintoddler machildren and underage faggots on here.

not him, but linax is not related to technology

>tfw chinkshit korean monitor doesn't have this problem

Anime website

Displayport is pretty shit, not because its inferorior, but because its almost impossible to know if you have a good one.

>buy DP cable
>constantly sending voltage to my gpu via 20th pin
>PC can't cold boot or wake from sleep due to surge protection on the mobo

True. It's related to autism.

That doesn't happen on my DisplayPort monitor

There are no differences between Display Port cables in that regard.
The only difference is that there are Reduced Bit Rate, which only support up to 1080p resolutions.

>Despite what you may read, there is no such thing as a DisplayPort 1.1 cable and DisplayPort 1.2 cable. A standard DisplayPort cable, including the so-call DisplayPort 1.1 cables, will work for any DisplayPort configuration including the new capabilities enabled by DisplayPort 1.2, including 4K and multi-stream capabilities. All standard DisplayPort cables support RBR, HBR (High Bit Rate), and HBR2 (High Bit Rate 2), which can support 4K at 60Hz, or up to four 1080p displays using multi-stream.

displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/

That is your IGPU problem.