Hi Sup Forums, as a 10 year user of the windows...

Hi Sup Forums, as a 10 year user of the windows, I finally fell for linux meme after tinkering with ubuntu on a live usb for a few hours. I want to become a main committer to linux kernel so yes, I will install gentoo after learning about things. I installed some programs and applied some themes but I don't know how to proceed from here. Do I start reading phyton documentation? What did you do to uncover your inner hax00r, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

yoyoclouds.wordpress.com/2012/04/25/how-to-check-whether-your-pc-has-virtualization-enabled-or-not/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why wouldnt you just install it in a VM and have the best of both worlds

I tried but it threw random errors at my face every time I used another distro. I used oracle vm btw.

That is definitely interesting. I used oracle vm and that is my sole experience with Linux. Fedora had internet connection issues and Ubuntu lagged like crazy.

to commit to the linux kernel you will have to learn C and learn it hard. Also have mad skills and knowledge on programming in general. A good start might be reading the kernel itself, if you already know C. assembly is good too

Use VMware

adelaide?

adelaide?

>as a 10 year user of the windows
you have to be 18 to post here.

What settings did you use? How did you install guest additions?

I don't recall using windows after popping out of my mothers vagina but I do understand your true intention by posting that. Oh well, here is a (you).

adelaide

I wiped the drive clean, and installed updates along with proptietary software such as mp3 decoder. As for the guest additions, I did realise I could access the system through a guest account but I have not yet researched how to remove it.

MAKI-CHAN!!

Damn guest additions was entirely different than what I imagined it would be (i did a quick google search). If you are asking how did I install ubuntu in the vm, it simply told me it was incompatible with my processor so the installation never started in the first place.

You did enable virtualization in your bios, right?

I gone through my bios in the past but I never seen an option regarding the virtualisation. My processor is a third gen i5.

Double check. If you haven't turned it on, it probably isn't on

yoyoclouds.wordpress.com/2012/04/25/how-to-check-whether-your-pc-has-virtualization-enabled-or-not/

Thanks senpai, i probably left it off while I was trying to fix my ubuntu installation by turning things off.

Learn the terminal commands, some basic networking and protocols, find a text editor/ide that you like, and start with python or another basic language.

There's never any reason to turn it off if you're using VMs. I'd also consider turning on 3d acceleration in the VMs settings once you get guest additions installed. If it gives you trouble you can always switch it back off when the VM is shut down.

Thanks. How much time should I spent on learning programming before I try my chances at the "hackable distros"?

I should clear some things up, the installed the ubuntu on my ssd, wiping my windows installation. I thought VMs was a meme so trying my chances at the fully working os would be more sufficient.

>hackable distros
Wat.

I heard there were distros that intentionally had software vulnerabilities so people could discover exploits on them to train their hacking skills.

Well if you're trying to go cold turkey then yeah, that'll do it. Although if you're trying to do things like compare distributions or try installing individual components on top of a minimal iso it can be a bit limiting, especially if that's your only daily use PC. Also VMs come with ridiculously convenient snapshots so you don't have to worry about fucking up.

Dude, learn to crawl before you pogo jump up everest

>I want to become a main committer to linux kernel
hmmm

Maki would never use Linux