/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/BNC-to-RCA-lead-RG59-Composite-Video-CCTV-Wordclock-SMPTE-75ohm-Coaxial-Cable-/151085983801?var=&hash=item232d6d2839:m:mgH_a7QUQo0RPzqlfeop-WQ
ebay.com/itm/JVC-TM-A101G-9-Broadcast-Color-Video-Monitor-w-Dual-Video-Audio-Inputs-CCTV-/142272492927?hash=item212019f57f:g:XmAAAOSwjDZYm2YM
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
passwordstore.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=Tcx93hpGTdA
youtube.com/watch?v=LYm0zzlIvLc
youtube.com/watch?v=tLcT47gvVGc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Recommend me a photo viewer. Something very simplistic.

Xnview

Honeyview or whatever the default is on Ubuntu

gwenview

Why the fuck is foobar still connecting to the internet if I blocked inbound and outbound connections?

I'm on Linux mint. Firefox is using up to 50% and more of my CPU power. Someone suggested turning off multi processing, and that helped a little I guess. But it still makes things laggy when Firefox is open for more than 24 hours. I never had that problem until I updated. What do?

On a related note. Are there any major performance disadvantages or advantages in turning off the cache (I.e. Limiting it to 0 bytes)? I have fast Internet so I value my performance more than my Internet bandwidth.

Does anyone have any infographics that have a guy to Operational Security? I want to delete myself from the internet and totally separate myself from my anonymous alter-ego with a very low chance of being traced back to myself..

Can anyone identify these connectors for me? They are all different and are from broadcast monitors

bump to new thread

complete noob here, I'd like to analyze an exe file I got, I have a win 7 vm in virtualbox and I want to sniff it's traffic with wireshark on my host computer, how can I do that?

On third party archives, is there a way to search for images via ths "save as" filename files have?

For example, the OP pic of this thread being 1487364228701

looks like BNC connections for most of em

Coaxial, used for live broadcast medium

u dummy

its bnc u fuk

Isn't that the case in the Lord of the Rings? All of the magic on Middle-Earth had been expended by the end of the books, which is why the elves left for Valinor and the men of our world aren't capable of casting spells.

so this cable should work ( ebay.com/itm/BNC-to-RCA-lead-RG59-Composite-Video-CCTV-Wordclock-SMPTE-75ohm-Coaxial-Cable-/151085983801?var=&hash=item232d6d2839:m:mgH_a7QUQo0RPzqlfeop-WQ ) with this? ebay.com/itm/JVC-TM-A101G-9-Broadcast-Color-Video-Monitor-w-Dual-Video-Audio-Inputs-CCTV-/142272492927?hash=item212019f57f:g:XmAAAOSwjDZYm2YM

Would it be better to use VirtualBox/VMware or Bootcamp to run Windows in mac. I was thinking the former because windows wouldn't have any chance of touching the osx partition.

Try that safe mode or the refresh firefox button.
>about:support

jpegview

Is there a way to get some kind of a alert or ! on the google main search page when you have mail in your gmail? Don't like that I need to click gmail to see if I have anything new in there would just like a little ! or something next to its icon to notify me if I have new mail in there

>jpegview
This is what i was looking for. Cheers senpai!

Is that young cumberbatch?

I dunno.
Do you have an email client that has new mail alerts? Just add you're gmail acct.

Is it safe to clone an 8gb sd card using dd and restore it to a bigger sd card?

so is the only tablet worth a shit right now the shield k1

kind of want a ipad 2 though, I only need it for reading books

I recently installed a fresh copy of windows but now i am getting the "windows is not genuine" pop up. i lost my activation key so i cannot authenticate it. Is there anyway to get this pop up to go away without the key? I'm on windows 7 btw

I don't use clients I use my browser

pastebin.com/smjvLZN4

Thanks a lot user, you are my greatest ally

wtf is going on here? I was looking through a forum and someone had used an emoticon. I wanted to check whether it was the forum creating it or chrome so I inspected and that shit was in the inspector as well. I google the emoticon and not only does it show up inline it also shows up in the url.

How the fuck do I get rid of this cancerous garbage? It's clearly windows 10 doing something because it's a Microsoft emoticon and it shows up the same way in all my browsers.

Emoticons are standard UTF. There's no actual reason text editors, browsers, etc can't just render them as such instead of raw values.
It's why Swift allows you to use them in code, as retarded as that is.

okay, how do I get them to stop rendering them? Every time I see one it gives me aids, and the fact that it's in the element inspector and URL triggers me beyond belief.

Not him but, is there any way to make these look good? The way chrome renders them is broken and janky as fuck.

read his post again, they're standard UTF. Either install a font that doesn't render them and use that or something else. fucking winfag

I wanna write some software in Python meant to be used as a car deck. What SBC should I use for that car deck?

Raspi 3 - BINARY BLOBS but lots of documentation. Can get it right now, but again, binary blobs.
Beaglebone Black - Good shit, but lacks documentation. Used it before though, love it.
Orange Pi/Banana Pi/Odroid - I don't know anything about these, but they might be better options than the BBB?

should I be using LastPass? Why/why not?

Yes, because it's probably better than any other way you'll end up managing your passwords. So even though there's a chance they'll get hacked, you're statistically better off over all.

use this passwordstore.org/

I do
not for my banking or paypal
not for my main email

but for everything else.. sure

it provides what other password managers provide, unique always remembered password for any site
but it has the best around ease of use and browser integration
though its been some time since I tested keepass addons and shit

That's good for those of use who bother to set up GPG and make backups. Not so good for passive shits.

Install wireshark on VM ... profit ?
(A noobs guide to wireshark is out of the scope of a /sqt/, use a search engine)

>plug USB 3.0 external HDD into USB 3.0 port on motherboard I/O panel
>this speed

What fucking year is this?

I want to write a program that reads a text file and then allows me to filter and display the information.

I've never used anything but a console log in college so far, but I'd like to have a UI this time. I know c++, java and python. More specifically I'm reading from an SD card that contains longitude and latitude in a text file.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

define "better", it all depend on what you want to do.
A VM allows you to use it while running OSX, uses less space (the virtual disk file varies in size according to content, not the partition) and it is easier to remove/snapshot of/reinstall.
It has lower performance (not much but still), can't use all the ram, it is a pain to access physical devices.

It is highly unlikely windows will access the OSX partition.

python should be the simplest

and what exactly directions you want?
its fucking basic
how to open file
how to read lines
how to find string in string

>I only need it for reading books
Buy an e-reader, not a tablet.
If you really want a tablet, buy whatever has a big autonomy and a nice screen.

If you need to ask this question, the answer is a raspberry pi, community is bigger.
Orange pi and the like are blobfest on steroïd, have next to no support (they don't even have images for my 2 year old one to download) and almost no community.

Java with Swing or JavaFX will be the easiest.

e-readers are good for novels, but not textbooks.

I would imagine having search functionality for textbooks would be great. Never used an e-reader though.

I prefer them to tablets, I prefer to read on a non lit screen and you don't have to worry about battery life.
I have an iPad, a chinese tablet and an ereader and I used to read textbooks on my ereader at uni.

ereader do have text search.
My Kobo even has an awesome multi-language dictionary that is very well integrated into the readingn interface.

Idk maybe you should nmap

The raspi community is way bigger, but it's got proprietary blobs and I'm a big free software faggot. I didn't know the chinese knockoffs had blobs. Guess I'll go with the BBB.

British navel connector(BNC).

You can get adapters to change them to RCA. But RCA is shit for long distances compared to coax.

Is it possible for my RAM to limit my ability to overclock?
i7 6700K
Maximus VIII Hero
Crucial Sport 4X4GB DDR4-2400 (free)
650w bronze power supply

Doing a fresh W7 install for the first time in a while, should I download all windows updates first then run Ancile script or immediately block updates and run Ancile?

I've done it a few times. It can and has worked for me, but it's probably not a good idea.

How can I set MPC-HC as my default video settings? I tried looking through the default applications in the control panel but it doesn't show up. I also tried the one in the settings and it doesn't show up either. I was able to set it as the default for audio in the settings.

I gonna start learning sys admin stuff

Just because windows is everywhere i gonna start with windows server BUT i dont know if i should learn 2016 or 2012

i seen places that use even older server versions and i wonder how i can know what is the best to learn?

il get int linux after

It does not matter how good your interface is. You're still using a platter hard drive with shit random I/O performance.

Try copying one big ass file instead of 2,600 small ones and see if the transfer rate shoots up.

Or just use a fucking SSD.

Is there any torrent client/pluggin with the ability to create it's own openvpn connection?

I really doubt the BBB is blob-free.
Rasperry pi is making big moves toward blobfreeness, look at their blog.

Do you want a UI or a GUI.

Cause text prompts in a console count as a UI.

whats a good office chair to get for my new setup
i sit in it all day so im tired of my ass hurting

I hear the ergohuman is quite good, but it's expensive. What's your butget?

Vertagear PL6000
youtube.com/watch?v=Tcx93hpGTdA

Vertagear Triigger
youtube.com/watch?v=LYm0zzlIvLc

Try compressing/taring your files on the fly, it may speed things up a lot because of :

probably $300 maybe pushing $400 is what i can do, i just need something that'll last without having to go outside to actually try chairs

>how do I get them to stop rendering them
... and render what instead, exactly?

wrong video for PL6000
here is the one I saw
youtube.com/watch?v=tLcT47gvVGc

>I'm reading from an SD card that contains longitude and latitude in a text file.

Just find an existing program or code that reads longitudes and latitudes.

BBB has binary blobs for OpenGL, but you don't need them. You need binary blobs to boot raspi though. I'm gonna buy the raspi anyway since it does seem like they're making good progress.

I got an iphone 7 on ios 10.2, does vshare work on this? If not, does anything for free apps work on this?

i thought gaming chairs were a meme

well, I've never made a GUI for any of my programs, that is more the recommendation I'm looking for.

I'll check it out, thanks user

The Ikea Marcus ($200) is supposed to be good.

I researched for hours the other day, and couldn't find a recommendation for a high-back office chair in the $250-$400 dollar price range, so I settled on a ~$340 dollar Maxnomic gayman chair.

>Click verify once there are none left.

Any particular reason joogle keeps singling me out for these? Like seriously it's especially fucking bad today, must be a lot of network traffic or something i presume

I have no idea if they are. On the one hand you have people saying that all gaming chairs are shit and office chairs are where it's at, and on the other hand you have people saying that gaming chairs are better for long sessions.

Then again there's also the kids saying dxracer is the best thing since sliced bread because their favourite internet-"celebrity" endorsed it.

I ended up ordering a Maxnomic because linus gave it a positive review.

is there a program i can point at a hard drive with windows on it and pull all the usernames/passwords/password hashes for the browsers and for the user accounts?

Yeah its hard to decide, i just want something that will last. The current one i have feels like im sitting on a flat board of wood

Did you get the chair yet to see how it feels?

Nah, it's probably gonna arrive early next week.

class Thing(object):

def __init__(self, name):
self.name = name

def __str__(self):
return self.name

Empty = Thing("Empty")

Grid = [[[Empty for x in range(10)] for y in range(10)]]

for column in range(10):
print(column)
for item in Grid[column]:
print(item)

Index out of range. What's the problem here? New to programming obviously (that's why I'm on python)

now that infinality got abonded
How do i configure freetype2 with harfbuzz in arch linux?

Starting today, something has been causing full screen applications (namely games) to randomly minimize to the desktop for no reason. Sometimes I've caught a glimpse of the little "loading" circle next to the mouse but beyond that I can't figure it out. Nothing seems out of the ordinary under processes and I haven't installed anything new in over a week.

Operating system is Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and again, this just started happening today.

Any ideas? Thanks in advanced.

infinality is not abandoned anymore
it was abandoned for like 2 weeks i think

Installed linux what now? Whats the point of linux if yur just in an IDE all day?

Elaborate

Your Grid has an extra []. So it's an array within the first object of the array (list w/e), change to.

Grid = [[Empty for x in range(10)] for y in range(10)]

What mail client should I use on Windows? Bonus points for a modern dark theme.

Im a first year CS student and our prof is constantly recommending Linux with VIM, but i don't see the point if all our work can be done in Visual studio

Wow wtf how did that even happen. Thanks for that, I feel really stupid now lol.

What is hacker news? Like reddit-lite but for tech stuff?

sorry if this doesn't belong here.

feh

On W10

Is there any way I could quickly access to an option to switch main display?

I find annoying that for some games I have to go over to the display settings and check "make this my main display" everytime I want to have my secondary monitor work with it.

Any more opinions on this?
im trying to research and decide

Pretty much, with a bias towards startup culture, Silicon Valley and webshit. There are interesting articles posted and some worthwhile comments, much better than reddit.

Are you switching the main display for resolution/aspect ratio reasons? Or just to move the game. I used to use ShiftWindow to move borderless windows/games to other monitors. Doesn't require changing main monitor.

Resolution, aspect ratio and refresh rate reasons.

The configuration tool for the game will only let me select the right resolution/refresh rate as long as I open it after setting the secondary monitor as my main one. I have 2 monitors that are vastly different.

I'm about to go to a hackathon and all my team members just quit (other things came up for them) and so I'm alone.

I'm fucked. That much I know, but just out of curiosity, what can I do to be less fucked? Any ideas for projects? The most I can come up with is a shitty file compressor (but I'm competing against people that are going to be using machine learning algorithms. I'm fucked)