The most widely used operating system in the world is Android

>The most widely used operating system in the world is Android
>almost all of the android source code is free software, either Apache or GPL

Why is Stallman not happy about this? It's quite an achievement for the FOSS movement if you think about it.

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html#Android
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because that's a mobile OS and mobiles are non-free by default.

Android as released by Google contains many nonfree parts as well as many free parts. Most of the free parts are covered by a pushover license (not copyleft), so manufacturers that distribute Android in a product sometimes make those parts nonfree as well.
From gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html#Android

How come no one interjects that android is really the so-called "gnu operating system". Or as I've taken to calling it, GNU+Android?

Let's face it. Android makes linux look bad.

Because Android doesn't use gnu

RMS+Linus Torvalds = John Lennon.
>Who knew?

> Why is Stallman not happy about this?
He kinda is. Hasn't spoken out much against it over the years, has he? Nothing much I remember or can find right away anyhow.

Exactly, it's basically free software that for all intents and purposes is controlled by one of the most botnet corporations there is. Even if it's licensed as free software, barely anyone uses it outside of an official Google distribution.

It's actually Android/Linux, not GNU/Android. It uses very little if any GNU software, but it does use the Linux kernel, with the Android userland on top of that, mostly based on a custom Java runtime.

Android itself is cool. It's the hardware that it runs on is abysmal (everything locked down and endless botnet)

Why did you post this here instead of emailing him?

Wat? Android has cemented Linux in its world domination for probably the next decade(s).

Servers, embedded machines, end user / personal computing devices. All Linux-dominated.

Android is one of those operating systems that you are free to look but you are not free to touch.

Anyways Android will never be free because manufacturers love to add proprietary blobs, you know the one they put so you have to change phones every 1~2 years.

>It's actually Android/Linux, not GNU/Android. It uses very little if any GNU software, but it does use the Linux kernel, with the Android userland on top of that, mostly based on a custom Java runtime.
I have most (if not all) of the GNU coreutils available on my phone.

We all know that crazy old hippy will tell you Android is not free enough for some idealistic reason.

>Android is not free enough for some idealistic reason
because it is, lol

I don't assume others' responses prior to asking questions.

>It's quite an achievement for the FOSS movement if you think about it.

Lol, you dumb fuck. Its a win for Google and phone manufacturers.

Most Phone Manufacturers are in Countries that don't have IP systems that are only sock puppets for racist Media Corporations. I am okay with that.

Has anyone emailed the gnu/linux copypasta to stallman? I know it is his quote, but I wonder how he would respond to it.

popular != good. The code should be free software.