retarded name
stupid logo

>looks like shit
>bloated
>not very customizable without tons of added scripts
I have never seen anyone use GNOME IRL

It's bloated as fuck even though they're constantly removing features

it has a nigger's footprint for it's logo

I actually like it because it looks nice and has pretty good extensions.
this is now a get thread.
>not very customizable without tons of scripts
thats very true for all other DEs
this
kek

There are only 4 toes on the log.
Rollin.

what's Sup Forums's DE of choice if gnome is shit? KDE?

build your own DE from the ground up in C++ newfag

>not C

>not assembly language written for your own custom, hand-soldered hardware
are you even trying pleb?

>systemd

I don't. I'm using it right now.

I don't hate it but they keep pushing stuff I didn't ask for with KDE-like interdependence between their own applications. Why do I need their stupid cheese application if I just want their window manager? It's autistic but it annoys me.

FEET FETISH

Sup Forums hates when developers make something that just works without spending hours tweaking it

lxde

It has been shit ever since 3. And unlike the disaster that was KDE4, they don't seem to be concerned about improving it.

It's a fucking joke how things are going.
KDE and GNOME have swapped places.

KDE used to be this big monolithic thing where everything in your system was KDE to the greatest extent possible. You used their browser, their music player, etc.

GNOME on the other hand was built up of small independent pieces that worked together reasonably well, but with no official affiliation.

But at some point recently that's completely been reversed. The KDE project has tried to break their shit apart into smaller pieces, and has neglected their own utilities to the point where they are no longer usable (think konqueror, for example) --you now rely on the alternatives.
GNOME on the other hand has become the massive blob. They have an environment with almost everything in it, and external tools are gradually integrating worse with each version.

The only difference is that the KDE tools used to be really functional at the expense of design, while modern GNOME is now well designed at the expense of functionality.

I'm a newfag and I use Ubuntu Gnome.

Am I moron?

Actually, that's just because how your distribution package manages compiled it. If you did it yourself, from source, you could set the USE flags to trim down the bloat. But most people on this board are not savvy enough or have no time to tinker with compiling their software.
>Gentoo is a meme

I don't hate Gnome.
Its the only DE, along with Unity, that does proper high dpi scaling.

The developers are assholes

They don't fix shit. They keep breaking stuff. Claiming they fixed things like scaling but do a half assed job and call it done. Never listening. More interested in diversity nonsense than the tech now.

There is a reason LXDE, Budgie, Unity are getting rid of gnome and moving to Qt. And cinnamon maybe be following in the future after one of the devs had a rant about gnome.

The biggest problem with Gnome is that it influences GTK.

Open terminal and run any gnome application and watch a stream of warnings about deprecated resources being used
Open journal and watch it being flooded with errors from gnome applications
They tried to make tracker sandboxes and shipped it, consequently indexing failed and it tried restarting itself 6000 times, generating coredumps and causing 99% CPU use. Not to mention gnome applications couldn't see indexed files, e.g. gnome-music and others showed absolutely nothing.
This is the state of gnome "stable"

>terminal and run any gnome application and watch a stream of warnings
to be fair I've seen that with any combination of DE/distro

I used to shit on GNOME a lot but I decided to try it full time and I'm very happy with it after the annoying initial setup. The window manager is great and everything moves smoothly on a pretty old rig. I don't really see the "bloat" people are talking about

Longtime GNOME user here. I also used to think it has alright performance, but compared to i3 it's incredibly slow.

Might be my Intel graphics, but Mutter's animations are never quite as smooth as they could be.

I'm currently trying to transition to KDE, although it has already crashed in me once (of course) and the performance is only marginally better.

But then again what do I expect with Intel i3@2,0GHz and 4Gig of RAM…

well yeah I mean it's downright disingenuous to compare GNOME and i3, like saying a bike is more efficient than a car