Hey Sup Forums, is ham radio still a viable hobby?

Hey Sup Forums, is ham radio still a viable hobby?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/9uYXMhVm
arrl.org/advanced-call-sign-search
telegraph-office.com/pages/mcelroy.html
ham.stackexchange.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=p38FTOetax0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no fuck off stop sending me your tech support questions about our set top boxes and if they will scan your shitty frequency, of course it will jesus christ please go

ya it's pretty kewl
rawr

Yes, of course. It's just not cheap, generally.

Sure, I just started getting into it. Only have a chink handheld for now, looking into desktop models now. Don't have my license yet so I just use it as a police scanner and listen to local repeaters

if you are an actual autist

ebin

That gif is raping my eyes.

Nah it just old man and autism.

Satan gets it.

There's also the SDR meme hobby that you can get into pretty cheap

>viable
Viable in what regard?
Do you have fun doing it? If so knock yourself out.
Stop using words that you don't know the meaning to

>Hey Sup Forums, is ham radio still a viable hobby?
Why, of course!

>That gif is raping my eyes.
Pic. related is more soothing.

>autism
Requirement for ultra high speed morse code.

All hobbies are viable if you like it, imo

>SDR
>meme
You really dont know its potential there m8

Time for the pasta:
pastebin.com/9uYXMhVm

What is stopping me from doing it with no license?

Hams are a vigilant bunch, they will find out you're unlicensed and you will be reported to the FCC. Fines start in the upper four figure range and easily work their way to five figures.

That and a federal record. Avoid.

And it is easy to stay legal.

>pretty cheap
True. Just check rtl-sdr to make sure you get a good SDR since not all are made teh same.

and this is what i mean with autism :)

If you get your radio license anyone can look up your dox with your callsign.

Can't you be protected, like a private Whois?

the government sending you to fuck me in the ass prison for your entire life, basically.

This is what deterred me from ham. I thought it was cool and started studying the book, then I realized I could be d0xed by anyone that's listening. You have to say your call sign every single time.

arrl.org/advanced-call-sign-search

Anyone, and I mean anyone, can input your call sign into this FCC database and get your name, home address, everything. It's all public info.

You can use a PO box instead of your home address (it just has to be an address where the FCC can reach you), but still. Your name is definitely always shown, and anyone with an internet connection can use that to find your home address in a few minutes, including google satellite images of your house.

It's just creepy as fuck, especially when you consider the kind of goobers that do ham in the first place. Not the kind of people I want to talk with, especially if I have to indirectly tell them where I live.

also wanted to add the reason it's creepy is because when your do ham, it's likely the people listening are in your region if not the same town.

so them visiting your house is trivial. It's not like the internet where someone 2,000 miles away finds out your name. They're less likely to show up at your door like a ham guy who lives 10 miles away.

>some HAMburglar listens in to find out who has the most expensive stuff so he can rob them
Absolutely terrifying

There's a lot worse things than robbery user lol. I'm more worried about being raped or murdered by some hillbilly with a shotgun. Especially when I don't agree with their "Trump is God" political views

The fact that they pursue assholes is my favorite thing about ham operators

>HAMburglar

fucking killed my sides

>ot the kind of people I want to talk with
You know there's far more to amateur radio than talking to random people, right?

Kill yourself, you dumb fucking shit stain.

>getting political on HAM
they have your address and will find you

did you even read the thread? fuck you, dude.

You realize that you only need to receive mail at that address, right?

You can use a PO box, and really you should for public things like that.

Yes. I'm in the UK and got my foundation licence. Enjoyable course. I also go to the local meetup group and everyone is like 60-80 years old. It's cool hanging out with the old people though . I chat with them on my local repeater with my baofeng hand held.

It's pretty cool as long as I resist my urge to troll. I don't say or do anything naughty so I'm not worried about being doxed.

I don't have very many friends so it feels nice to be part of a community.

I basicly hang out with a bunch of autistic men two generations older than me.

I only have a cheap baofeng, plus selling stolen radio equipment would be a nightmare as the community is pretty good and word would get out

just say your mom when asked for a call sign or make one up.

im sure you'd really go to terre haute supermax for life for fucking around with a radio.

people give a fake name to the police and people are afraid of giving out a bullshit handle on fucking ham radio.

its not like running a pirate rig off a housing estate the dti wont come round for some bellend with a chinese ham without a license.

if you dont give out a name or give out a fake name no one will care.

>ham thread
>somebody mentions licenses and everything turns into an autist shitstorm

Why must everyone argue about stupid shit in every such thread?
Please keep it on a purely technical level because laws differ by country.

Let me guess, you do not know what harmonics are, right?

>there are bears using HAM radio to scout for prey RIGHT NOW and in your state.

yep

i just had a contact earlier on psk31

autist detected

>It's pretty cool as long as I resist my urge to troll. I don't say or do anything naughty

wow, so you have to do self-censorship?

ham radio sounds like a ton of fun

>it's not fun if I can't be an asshole
I'm glad you don't like it.

It's absolutely fine. It's not audio Sup Forums, it's about having a communication network for if the jntenry goes down

Things have changed a lot. You can now get on the air VHF/UHF with a decent radio for < $100. Get on HF for the same if you don't mind kit building.

>It's not audio Sup Forums
14.313 would beg to differ

On milforum one guy declared that the very best signal service guys were autists. He might have included himself.

Why would you have a problem with that?
It's a two way street. It's creepy and weird how user people can be on the internet and say shit they wouldn't say to your face. Why would you trust anything anyone has to tell you if you can't look them up and see if they're a reliable source of info?

This guy gets it.

After all, alphabet soup agencies have already stated they collect metadata. One general is on record stating they also kill based on metadata.

So what is metadata?

Basically whenever you pick up a phone, landline or mobile, your voice prints are collected, perhaps the ultimate in what falls under the wide umbrella "metadata". This is correlated with time, place, line, IP number and more. Much more. Metadata such as mood is already used by commercial companies on automated help lines to detect anger or rage to connect a live human in quickly - that is if you are a valued customer. Cattle gets the prod.

One thing is to be careful Another is to be naive.

The best thing is, those patterns can burn into your retinas if you stare at them long enough

You can't talk about politics on the air anyway, libtard

AHHHHHH MY EYES

>30wpm Morse code
>Not computer

Ya OK.

No OP

Unless you like old people autism and retardedly crazy levels of over-regulation.

Ham could be better but ultimately it's held back by the above.

Also enjoy expensive shitty radios.

>shitty radios
They may be expensive, but shitty they are not

This

I love how this is a technology board but any tech related hobby outside of grownup Legos gets shat on nonstop

>pastebin.com/9uYXMhVm
>no mentions of pirating FLTSATCOM like real drug trafficking mafioso would

is this even Sup Forums ?

no hillbilly is desperate enough to rape some shit eating liberal hippie. you're safe.

Considering the misused potential for the frequency blocks. Yes they are very shitty.

>is this even Sup Forums ?
The operative phrase here is "Primer".

What?

Time to submit before the masters: telegraph-office.com/pages/mcelroy.html

You will have to be much more specific with your criticism. Every gen they get better, which is something you can't say about cpu's.

I have my general license. No idea what ham radio's are used for, except emergencies?

>No idea what ham radio's are used for
Transmitting and receiving data.

The whole point is scientific experimentation. Radio waves and shit.

Especially antenna technology is a popular topic.

the user who will save Sup Forums

Radio's a hobby and occupation which caters to autistic people.

>Transmitting and receiving data.
If only.
Mostly they are used for spreading gossip and/or requesting QSL cards from places less than 100 miles away.

Literally all of that is transmitting and receiving data.

There are many kinds of people having radio as hobby or occupation. voice/telephony is rather pedestrian. high speed morse code is where the patricians are.

Where I served in the .mil I think less than half were autistic but nearly 100 percent played a musical instrument. A sense of music and rhythm is essential to master morse code.

Ah yes, those were the days.

A little more traffic can be had at Stackexchange's Ham board.
ham.stackexchange.com/

There's a lot of data traffic on HF,but VHF and UHF data radio never really caught.
I got some pretty far contacts with thor22 and feld hell,but now there seems to be very powerful interference on 7MHz so I can't hear shit most of the time.
It sounds like those "diplomatic services" links but it's all over the place and it makes it hard to get any contacts most of the evenings.

tell us more stories about 'Nam, grampa

So do you just sit on Sup Forums and call people grampa all day or is this some shitty new meme?

>self-censorship
you know the lack of a filter between the brain and mouth is one of the defining characteristics of tourette's syndrome

might want to get that checked

My eyes, you son of a bitch!

I never went to Vietnam. Not even American. Around here in Europe we have this thing called national service.

You might think of it as summer school with a lot of loud explosions.

There's occasionally a HAM radio general on /diy/ you might be interested in.

cool it man

Who /SWL/ here?

I just listen to international broadcasters and hams.

SJW GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I've been licensed for 15 years with an accurate name and address in the FCC database to go along with it. People do use the database to """"""dox"""""" you.

Do you know what these sick fucks do with the information they find? They send me catalogs. Oh god the horror and violation! Now I have free stuff to read while I'm on the toilet. It's easy as fuck to figure out who lives where. Nobody gives a shit.

>ever being on the toilet
>not squatting on a special stool and being done instantly because you eat right

>being this autistic

>pretending your lack of toilet time is caused by anything other than an anus loosened by nigger cock
>missing out on the comfiest reading experience

My comfiest reading experience was in a hostel in Barcelona. I was reading a book about anal sex.

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION GOD DAMNIT

It's easy as shit to find out your home address as is. Do you think your special? Give a good private investigator a few minutes they'll have your info. Think your identity is completely erased from the internet? Old school, they'll just follow you from your workplace to your dwelling.

The point I am trying to make is that you will get found if someone wants to find you in a first world country.

Hello Pajeet.

youtube.com/watch?v=p38FTOetax0

You missed my follow up post (the one immediately after) Someone who lives within range of your radio (e.g. 10 miles away) is more likely to visit your house than an internet user who lives 2,000 miles away.

I have a friend who's a HAM, he's 74, he uses a PO Box because he doesn't want people showing up at his house. This dude is the shit, though. He can use computers as good as me, and doesn't just use his shit for email and YT.

>

Well I was talking more along the lines of works out of the box things but yeah, a diy kit would be much cheaper