This was the last time Intel cared about performance

This was the last time Intel cared about performance.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/ASUS-SABERTOOTH-X58-Motherboard-w-Core-i7-960-3-2GHz-CPU-12GB-Ram-DDR3-TESTED-/201822655396?hash=item2efd9153a4:g:PRMAAOSwax5YpwKv
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Quality thread. Great topic to start a discussion. Because every one of us has at one point owned an i7 980 and can totally relate to this feeling of superiority.

End yourself

So, how do you explain the fact that later Intel CPUs have higher performance?

/Thread

Last time AMD could compete

well on the plus side you can get one for under 2 bills on ebay now. makes me glad i didn't drop a grand for one back then. it's still better than anything amd has out now. maybe ryzen will change that but i'm not holding my breathe.

yeah buying used 980s is the way to go in 2017

of course it's cheap and more than powerful enough for anything a typical person would need plus it has triple channel memory which amd still doesn't have.

All those "XTREEEME" edition processors were just overpriced dickwaving. They were the fastest consumer CPUs, sure. But the performance per watt/dollar ratio was in the toilet. And they ran at a billion degrees. Fuck off with that manchild shit. If Intel goes back to making that crap, I will just laugh.

eh at this point intel doesn't need to. they have no competition in the top end cpu market.

I once """swapped""" a basic Athlon 64 for a 64 FX-62 on a library computer two counties away, in one of my ballsiest upgrades ever back in 2006, but it was worth it, as I was able to use that thing up until late 2009 without issue. There's really no point in $1000 CPU's anymore though, considering you don't even need to break $300 to get a powerful CPU in this day and age

It still took another two years to finally be able to play FEAR though, as Nvidia's 8800 refresh was the only thing that could handle soft shadows at the time

got a i5 2500k years ago for 120€ and have no reason to upgrade it yet. maybe when the motherboard breaks if theres no cheap boards on ebay

>holding my breathe

Intel fanboys, folks.

i'm not a fanboy, but amd kinda does have a history of letting people down.

Illiterate faggot here
The 7700 works with win 7 right?

>tempted to pair my gtx 980 with an i7 980
im letting my autism show, arent i

i7-930 for $25 on amazon.
>I really want it for my Linux rig.

was more so going for a matching cpu/gpu, since already have gtx 980 desu
what do the motherboards cost, if the cpu are so cheap?

>tfw still running a comfy X5690
but yeah I guess the consumer version was just as good

Sometimes more than original retail.

should have used a xeon

ebay.com/itm/ASUS-SABERTOOTH-X58-Motherboard-w-Core-i7-960-3-2GHz-CPU-12GB-Ram-DDR3-TESTED-/201822655396?hash=item2efd9153a4:g:PRMAAOSwax5YpwKv

Give it back Tyrone.

1st gen i7's are great value. paired mine with a used GTX 780. 4 cores + 4 threads, runs fallout 4 at 1440p with almost everything maxed out (mostly shadow quality and range reduced) 40-60 FPS depending on where you are. totally playable. could OC it higher but don't feel like i have to. never goes beyond 75C on air.

biggest problem is the LGA 1366 motherboards. i've got it running on a P6T Deluxe v2, which are still quite expensive despite its age. the board is actually my own, has been running almost non-stop for 7 years and still works like a charm with every single RAM slot filled (24 GB in triple channel).

amazing mobo even after all those years.

What is AMD FX-8350?

Beat the shit out of Intel and Ryzen will do it again.