/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub (embed)

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NRw339i17yw
groupon.com/deals/gs-beyerdynamic-dt-990-pro-250-professional-acoustically-open-headphones
seanolive.blogspot.com/2017/02/twirt-337-predicting-headphone-sound_17.html
audiobot9000.com/fiio/a/e10k
audiobot9000.com/schiit/a/fulla-2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Hopefully this thread won't die.

Chill stream.

Pretty good right?

youtube.com/watch?v=NRw339i17yw

Redpill me on the ATH50x Sup Forums

Does this thread seriously need to be in the catalog at all times? Surely there are hundreds of these in the archive. How many times can you ask about the same 50 headphones. jesus christ.

I don't like how they distort the bass. The flat sound of the M40x sound better imo.

I have a list I have to choose from. They're all for under 12$

JVC HA-s600, s360, s300
Polo HD Monster Beats
Genesis H44
Sony MDR Xd-100
Hugo Boss
Watson KH9604
IT HS2550
Scott Prince HFX580
Hama HS-10 Woodland
Prestigio headphones
Modecom MC400 fruity orange
Hama uRage Vibra
Audiance A2 Premium
Sennheiser HD201
Canyon CNR-HP02N
AKG K518 DJ
TDK MP100 White
LifeChat LX-1000
Philips shl 3060
Sogt ST-1035
philips sbc 3145 stereo

>Hugo Boss
>under 12$

doubt.jpg

They're pretty used, also no sponges, so that explains it. They're being sold for 9.38$

Those digits, almost

Does Shure have different build quality for different markets?

I found se215 cheap on an Internet auction, but they ship "from abroad".

Assuming they are genuine (the guy wouldn't break the law this obviously), it might be the same thing with cheap Dualshocks - Sony has factories in China for the Asian market that cut corners and the controllers made there are subpar.

So does Shure do something similar or is the lower price simply a result of cutting out the middleman?

Pic is the auction photo, looks legit?

>Assuming they are genuine

If they are a knockoff, it's actually less of a problem for me, I complain and get my money back no problem.

If they are a crappier version of genuine Shure, then I'm shit out of luck.

I need new ear pads for my AKG K553. 110mm diameter.
Suggestions?

hey guys general question here
can headphone jacks get damaged if i put them in a very old port?
i have an old nokia lumia 800 phone that's had countless headphones plugged in it and i think the port's pretty bashed up
so if i use a new pair of headphones and plug them in could they get ruined by the port?

Senheisers hd 598 always

How can I improve my desktop audio setup?

has anybody Groupon to buy headphone? see this and I'm interest. The down side to Groupon is it take them 2 - 3 week to ship

groupon.com/deals/gs-beyerdynamic-dt-990-pro-250-professional-acoustically-open-headphones

I've got HD600s at home.

Want something that doesn't sound like complete shit when out, but I'm not trying to claim true fidelity when I'm listening walking past light traffic and on a train.
Ear buds, not cans.

Recommendations, Sup Forums?

+1

fulla2.

pls answer
i was thinking of tascam th-02s

Whom is this bitch? He has been shilling for 3 threats now....

If you like your phones, the next ting to tackle would be those speakers.

seanolive.blogspot.com/2017/02/twirt-337-predicting-headphone-sound_17.html

CONSUMER WHORES BTFO

ASIO or WASAPI Event?

Got any recommendations for speakers?

I've had this on for 10 hours. Had it one while sleeping :)

>Listening to streamed shit, being fed to you by YouTube

Oh, ur superior in taste and morals... Wow! Why don't you come over and fondle my balls?

·>I am as old as the universe, just stuck in this form for 19 years now
So this is the kind of retards that listen to streaming lofi hip hop from youtube

Another superior presence. You're invited too :)

thanks for posting the title user, pretty chill stuff

Does anyone knows any good ~50$ earphones?
Maybe some chink shit.

e10

Best IEM's I've ever tried. Just don't the the bass boost attachment.

is it just me or is something missing?
if not, why are you sticking metal cylinders in your ears

for us Amerifugs, pic related is on sale for $55 @ newegg today (Saturday, Feb 18). They go on sale all the time, but $55 is the cheapest they typically go.

>don't use the bass boost nozzle

fuck me

They come with multiple rubber tips to use. This was just a random picture that showed off it's main feature if anything.

Suck a duck faggot, and keep listening to your Top 40 hits and "Recommended for You" spoon-fed garbage

>suck a dick
Make me, worm!

Stop acting as if your taste in music means anything.

I'll put my hand on your head and push you down while I play FLACs of very entry level mainstream non-radio music, to wean you off. Maybe something female vocals so you can feel pretty while you succumb to me.

JBL by Harman Kardon T300A

are these worth it for 35.50$? or the model is too old?

Dude, this is not very good... hate to break it to you. Sometimes ignorance is bliss, tho. So, enjoy it.

Hello superior wan. Wanna fondle my balls?

That's a decent list of 20 so headsets, is there anything good in that pile, Sup Forums?

>musical taste arguments
Just take this pretentious garbage to Sup Forums

Holy fuck, here in europistan they cost €130 (roughly $140).

I got me some Philips Fidelio x2's and they are pretty sweet.

I don't see myself buying another pair of headphones till these die eventually.

>Breaking news! Sound quality is not correlated to price. More at 8pm.

Everyone knows that the point of diminishing return for audio equipment is located between $100 and $300. Usually the price is driven by

>engineering and overall build quality
All the process, from the initial idea to the final product, has huge costs, with materials and manufacturing processes having often (although not always) an impact on the final price. The more refined the product, the higher the production cost, thus (but not necessarily) the higher the MSRP.
>market share
However if a company is big enough it can reduce the margin of profit on the single item because it can afford to increase the industrial risk; this is largely due to the expected sale figures. This is the fundament of the economies of scale.
>branding and marketing
It's also important to remember that the more famous and important a brand is, the higher the price of its products; also, market segmentation and targeting play a huge role in the final pricing: audiophools love to drink snake oil, and the more they spend, the happier they are because in their minds the equation price-equals-quality is always true; people who think about audio gear as fashion items also pay a premium for their fancier looking headphones; professional equipment tend to be reasonably expensive; consumer-oriented products must be dirt cheap, and so on.

Now I have more empirical studies in my arsenal to quote when arguing on the internet. Genuinely interesting and hilarious though.

youtube theme?

>Sound quality is not correlated to price.
>the point of diminishing return for audio equipment is located between $100 and $300
Seems a bit contradictory.

Lol you took it from the chillcow lofi stream

Continue from All this find many examples, for instance in the sub-$100 range:

>Status Audio CB-1
>oriented to entry level audio enthusiasts
>built like cheap knockoffs, with a very praised sound output, with a reasonable price, although not dirt cheap
The company is small, and can't leverage on the scale of production, but with good marketing can still sell something that overall isn't worth much production-wise at a price similar to better built and similar sounding headphones.

>Philips SHP9500
>oriented to the broad market that looks for a product that feels premium
>very refined build quality and design, with good sound, at a sub-$100 price point
The company is big and famous, can afford to branch out in this market segment thanks to the wide internal organization and the wide market they can reach, lowering the final price to appeal the average consumer with a product that looks, sounds, and feel good, but doesn't cost too much.

>Sony MDR7506
>marketed towards professionals, that need a workhorse for their industry
>built like a tank, without caring to the look and the design, with the appropriate performance output, with a high markup (given the product) but with an overall price that a professional can afford easily
The company is big and famous, the product is now industry standard because its excellent engineering and robustness; it doesn't have to appeal the average joe, so it can afford to spare on the design, and cut corners for production purposes, while still maintaining its strenght, both in terms of audio and build quality; the markup is rather high, given what is probably a very low production cost, and the economy of scale, but the final price is still reasonable.

Either you haven't read the full post, or you lack the basic reading comprehension skills.

I did read the full post.
How can diminishing returns exist if there is no correlation between sound quality and price?
Are you talking about diminishing returns in other fields than sound quality?

>Sound quality is not correlated to price
That's not what it says, it indicates a weak negative correlation.

>empirical
It's not. It's a theoretical model.

>Seems a bit contradictory.
The diminishing returns aspect has nothing to do with sound quality.

To the guy who helped me add bass to my hd600's using this last week

>Preamp: -7 dB
>Filter: ON PK Fc 20 Hz Gain 7 dB Q 0.7
>Filter: ON PK Fc 170 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 0.5

If you're out there, thank you. These headphones were incredible but now they're fucking perfection.

Here right now. Happy to help. Parametric equalizer is pretty wonderful thing if you know how to use it.

>Are you talking about diminishing returns in other fields than sound quality?
In short, yes. You can buy a pair of Xiaomi Piston 3 and be basically 75% of the way to the "perfect" audio, and they cost like 15 bucks. I explained what drives the price. Once you take into account every factor you find that there actually is a point of diminishing return in the above mentioned bracket.

>That's not what it says, it indicates a weak negative correlation.
The sample isn't very big in the first place, and the correlation is really weak. For all intents and purposes it's safe to assume that there isn't statistical correlation.

I'd be curious to see what happens when you limit the price to $500 and increase the sample.

Yeah, I used apo in the past to reduce the piercing treble on my akg 712's and it worked great. I deleted my EQ after I bought the 600's because they're just perfection to me, besides the fact that the bass was a tiny bit under what I wanted. Thanks again.

Is it worth it to get SH9500's if I need closed back but they're on sale?

Hey /hpg/ I've been troubleshooting my Modi for 2 weeks now and I just can't get
it to connect properly to my pc, even with a USB Controller and a powered hub.
It still works with other computers, including an extra shitty windows tablet. If I
sold it how much do you think I could get for it? And what's a good replacement
in a similar price bracket? I was looking at the ODAC and the Modi 2.

>Everyone knows that the point of diminishing return for audio equipment is located between $100 and $300.

lol, this is a ridiculous statement - so sweeping and over-generalized.

Only you can decide that.

They sound terrific (neutral sound signature), are built pretty well, and are very very comfortable. I feel like you can't go wrong at that sale-price. However, they have almost ZERO isolation. You will hear everything around you. Everyone around you will hear what you are listening to.

>That's not what it says, it indicates a weak negative correlation.

It might have been what it said though, if the sound quality doesn't improve after a certain point and the prices go up, you'll see something akin to a negative correlation.

A guy I know is selling his 1 year old Senns HD600 for $200 (USD). He bought HD800s. HD600 don't come with a box but otherwise they're in a perfect condition.

Worth the buy?

>Worth the buy?
I'll let you be the judge.

Quads say yes.

As long as the pads aren't complete pancakes then it's a good deal. The real pads cost around £40 to replace, I haven't had to replace min yet but when I do I'll be looking at fake ones. Hopefully some of them are good enough.

well, I'm asking ppl more knowledgeable than me.

Pads are perfect. I don't think he used them much. Wehn I was at his place, I always saw him with a pair of HiFiman's on.

HD600/650s have been on my wishlist for ages but couldn't afford them. He had both pairs and I tried them last year and HD600 sounded better to me anyway (better midrange).

Anyway, I feel like finally buying a pair.

What's your favorite pair of sub-30 dollar in ears?

>You will hear everything around you. Everyone around you will hear what you are listening to.
Fuck, why do manufacturers do that
What about tascam TH02? Thoughts on them? I'm basically looking for a budget closed over ear that's comfortable and stylish enough to wear at the library

Yeah I've tried both and the 600's have a better sound overall, they're the best headphones I've ever tried. Buy them mayne.

kz ed9

Now kiss

>lol, this is a ridiculous statement - so sweeping and over-generalized.
So where do you think the point of diminishing return is?

Not him but my guess would be around the £500 mark, as a guess.

What do you find between $300 and $600? Remember we're talking about diminishing returns, the point at which the increment in price is higher than the increment in overall quality.

hd600 and an e10k amp. No amp imo actually sounds better with these headphones so there's no point in spending more, unless you want more features etc. What headphones are better than hd600? admittedly I haven't tried more expensive ones but it's not like there's a headphone that everyone agrees is better. Hd800's have their own problems for example. Are stax better? I have no idea but I also don't want to strap two fridges to my face.

budget?

m8 hd600's are my choice at home and the KZ ED9's are the best IEMS I've ever tried. They're cheap as fuck too so you can't lose. Just don't use the 'bass boost nozzle'

you gonna tell me which sub-200EUR bluetooth headphones to get?

or you gonna be a little bitch and refer to some faggy ass pasta?

Here's the point though: how much the audio and build quality increase from the previous quality headphone?

For $150 you can buy a pair of HD558.
For $300 you can buy a pair of HD600

For double the price you're already not getting twice the sum of sound and build quality, so strictly speaking we're already past the point of diminishing return. When you go from $300 to $600 there is literally no way to have twice the build-plus-sound quality.

>HD558.
Meant HD598

When the sound is that good, which the hd600's are, then it's worth twice the money at this point if you care enough imo. Those 598's are fairly new I take it? I don't know anything about them but I'd be surprised if they're even close to the 600's. It all comes down to what you want. I wouldn't want a slight improvement on my 600's for £500 instead of £230 for my 600's for example.

How good are Behringer HPS3000s? They're on sale for $20 off amazon. Just need something cheap to play games with.

See sales for NEW HD600.

$200 for used is a bit too much.

>hd600 and an e10k amp

Why buy underpowered shit?

audiobot9000.com/fiio/a/e10k

When you could get nifty Schiit?

audiobot9000.com/schiit/a/fulla-2

why buy any of that shit when modern onboard solutions can drive an hd600 fine