What are my options if I don't want to give a dime to Microsoft but realize gaming on Linux is a joke?

What are my options if I don't want to give a dime to Microsoft but realize gaming on Linux is a joke?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Windows_7
blogs.unity3d.com/2016/09/29/introducing-the-vulkan-renderer-preview/
wiki.unrealengine.com/Vulkan
cryengine.com/roadmap
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=pascal-win10-linux&num=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ending yourself or at least fucking off back to Sup Forums where you belong

play games on a Sony or Nintendo console, or play no games at all

Either consoles, emulation or virtual machines.

If you don't need the highest graphics preset, gaming on linux isn't that bad for the most part. The worst part of it all is setting up a VM on linux with proper VGA passthrough.

If you wanted to be really primitive, you could still just pirate Windows 7 and dual boot. Keeping everything important on your linux partition and use Windows 7 for the 2 hours of the day you want to play GTA V or whatever people play these days.

>If you don't need the highest graphics preset

Well I want to be able to play for as long as possible with this GPU so it's more of a matter of longevity.

There's a lot of games that just don't work with a VM and especially the multiplayer ones.

>you could still just pirate Windows 7
I know we can't link shit here or even point out specifically but is there a single one out there that's not a Russian malware logging all your card numbers?

Pirate Windows like everyone else does.

daz loader. its Sup Forums approved. Probably on the wiki too if im not mistaken

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Windows_7

>dual boot
I distinctly remember playing around with some sort of system that ran both Linux and Windows in parallel. Like changing between desktops. The only reason I'm not looking more into it is that I'm afraid Microsoft would be able to spy on the Linux part.

Am I getting this right?

You're too paranoid. There is a way to try and prevent this alleged spying anyways. Just read the article I posted for the other user here

>There is a way to try and prevent this alleged spying anyways.
The so called shutup10... are just massive placebo. That also reset back whenever windows10 wants to anyway.

You aren't wrong. It's just meant to bring peace of mind to people who fear they will be judged for their taste in anime by a bunch of corporate assholes. Your ISP, Phone provider and government already know everything you do anyways.

If people were that worried about being spied on, they would go off of the grid entirely. Then just find an excuse to think that drones are watching them at all times. There's no winning with tinfoil heads.

The only thing that's really a joke is the available library. Who gives a shit about Total War Warhammer?

>Linux gets over 60 FPS in Ultra
So where is the problem?

Call me crazy but Microshit processing all my system inputs in a rigidly structured way to share it in all impunity with other mega corps and assess my precise goy personality is a lot more preoccupying than the NSA jealously keeping the hoard of incoherent internet data it accumulates without knowing exactly why while their political opponents close in on them.

virt-manager
You're welcome

People have displays that have a refresh rate far higher than 60 you dummy.

Install the evaluation version of Windows 10 Long Term Service Branch. After 90 days you'll start being nagged to activate Windows, but it still works perfectly fine, and I'm sure there's ways to remove the activation message.

For the low low price of free, you get:
>No universal app store
>No Cortana
>No preinstalled bloatware
>The old version of Windows calculator that actually worked
>The option to fully disable telemetry
>The option to not install updates
>Only essential security updates are released for Long Term Service Branch, no more crap like the W10 anniversary update

>60hz screen
there's your problem.

Even in Windows, you would have to turn the settings down to low or medium to reach 144hz, so I don't know what your point is

that sounds too good to be true. What's the catch.

the catch is that you're still on windows

MS will still root through your files and send anything back it feels like and report your activities and predilections to the government. Read the EULA, they can do whatever they want.

Problem is that OpenGL is slow. Especially if you're just converting a DX11/12 game to OpenGL as an afterthought.

With Switch around the corner we'll hopefully see more first tier Vulcan games. Apparently Feral is also going to switch over to Vulcan in their future Linux ports of DX titles.

>but realize gaming on Linux is a joke?
Some would claim that you're wrong about that, and that what you're actually witnessing here is a combination of several things in effect:
- The porting job is usually outsourced to a 3rd party studio who aren't as intimately familiar with how the engine works, and as such has to settle for making the port 'good enough' rather than reach parity with Windows.
- The game devs don't actually know how to code and use an API properly. To make up for this, Nvidia and AMD implement workarounds in their Windows drivers, application profiles that basically gives devs a free pass to do some pretty bad shit. These hacks end up being Direct3D only, while the Linux ports, being a lower priority, does not receive as much attention and no driver level optimization.

You can typically tell when a game dev does a good job in porting a game however, since the performance difference ends up being minimal or nonexistant.

so

Was bullshit from the other user?

Yeah I'm not saying Linux is bad, but at the end of the day most games on linux are garbage performance wise.

And Total War is actually one of the best out there. They're really trying to give Linux a shot because they're allied with Valve and want to give Microsoft the finger.

Vulcan is a meme. I've been hearing about it for one year and nothing happened.

>Winewrapped shitty port being played using Nvidia, which is known for performing worse on Linux
>framerate drops to 75FPS at ultra settings
Oh no! Whatever will you do!
Also, video games have their own board. Please relocate.

one whole year?

Answer to the image is: A+B+C+D+E = 180.
Posted from my GNU/Linux thinkin' man's computer.

Not bullshit.

Currrently you can disable telemetry on the Enterprise version of windows, and yes it does actually stop the data harvesting (at least for now). However there is nothing stopping Microsoft stealth turning it back on, or removing the feature all together. So far they've yet to do so.

As a "consumer" you're not supposed to be using the evaluation Long Term Service Branch, it's against the EUL. Microsoft really has no way of stopping you right now.

>Microsoft really has no way of stopping you right now.
They can just take down the download link?

>Playstation 4
>Nintendo Switch
>growing up

>And Total War is actually one of the best out there. They're really trying to give Linux a shot because they're allied with Valve and want to give Microsoft the finger.
Still an afterthought, it's a Feral port and not an in-house job.
>Vulcan is a meme. I've been hearing about it for one year and nothing happened.
Vulkan games won't just appear out of thin air. It's the same as DX12, Vulkan solves some problems, not all of them.

>Vulcan is a meme. I've been hearing about it for one year and nothing happened.
It takes years to make a game you fucking stupid cunt.

do you really want to bet over it? You really think we're going to see a new era of Vulcan based engines?

No. You're just acting like games come out of nowhere, it takes several years for a game to come to light. There are barely any DX12 games also. In a year or two we will be seeing a lot of games that have DX12 or Vulkan.

>Problem is that OpenGL is slow
So how do you explain Doom having pretty great performance before the Vulkan patch?

The problem isn't that OpenGL itself is slow, it's that most OpenGL implementations are worse than their D3D equivalents. For games the problem comes from the fact that games aren't even native OpenGL, they're D3D shader code run trough a D3D-to-OpenGL translator.

Actually, come to think of it, all ID games since Quake 2 have used OpenGL by default.

>do you really want to bet over it? You really think we're going to see a new era of Vulcan based engines?

No need to bet, we already made a step to this era.
blogs.unity3d.com/2016/09/29/introducing-the-vulkan-renderer-preview/
wiki.unrealengine.com/Vulkan
cryengine.com/roadmap (in graphics and rendering section)

And a lot of devs are talking about using vulkan for their games.

>muh gaming performance
Only immature children with no actual computer skills give a shit about this.

>he says this while posting on Sup Forums
kys

Please tell me what technology sector your currently get paid for working in, I'll wait.

Yeah but BlackbirdV6 legit made my PC faster.

No more right click menu lag.
No more random 30%CPU or 100%HDD usage, which is very noticeable.

That said I don't really give a fuck because giving a fuck won't change anything

yo moma's bedroom

Only immature children judge other people based on their free time habits.

Oh so he should buy drm botnet machines?

So I downloaded it. I picked the LTSB version over the 'enterprise' one. I did well right?

But what exactly will happen after 90 days and why would they be so nice to allow me a free windows like that? I can install that on an empty bios right?

Pirate windows, run it in a VM with PCIE pass through.

Linux still has shit drivers which means GPU is buggy and performs 50% slow than the ones with windows drivers.

I recall stating that only children care about getting more than 60fps while playing at 4k and max settings. Normal people with real lives don't care.

>you can identify the redditors by their drumpf memes and total lack of computing knowledge outside of what GPUs are being released this year

This board is shit

Contribute to ReactOS until it's ready

>Linux still has shit drivers which means GPU is buggy and performs 50% slow than the ones with windows drivers.
you never installed linux don't you ?

How about you refute my point instead of whining about a perceived persecution at the hands of those evil 'redditors'

It's a nice graph to keep gaymers out of a pro-tier OS. It doesn't prevent to successfully use CUDA on Linux on supercomputers and clusters.

I'm not even the fag you're arguing with, I can just tell that you're rocking a numale beard and faggot glasses and probably unironically refer to Trump as Drumpf and think you're a political scientist.

it's not a question of driver, it's a question of API.
OpenGL is shit compared to DX11. Ofc if the devs spend time optimizing their code, openGL can be as good as DX11, but it's too many work.

A game that uses vulkan have the same performances in linux and windows.

Drivers aren't perfect, but are already better.

Gaming on Linux is not a joke. Stop blaming Linus, instead blame incompetent pajeet developers of graphic drivers and game programmers (who are pajeet too).

>are already better
good I meant.
They aren't better.

Wew you got me there Sherlock.

Drivers are still going to be a problem. You can't deny that Nvidia, Intel, AMD... put all their resources into optimizing Windows OS over Linux or Faggintosh.

And that's the best case scenario, when you don't have ram, wifi cards or drives who just don't have usable drivers for Linux.

Performance on Linux will always be mediocre because of that, if not downright unstable.

>linux is a shit
>linux use opengl to games
>linux has shit drivers for gpus (this a nvidia and amd fault)

What is the new?

Actually Nvidia ships pretty much the same driver on both Linux and Windows. You can check for reference.

You can check a full W10 vs Ubuntu here:
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=pascal-win10-linux&num=1

Usually games perform 30% slower on Linux since they had to port the original DX11/12 version to OpenGL and didn't optimize it too much. If you run the same graphics code on Nvidia you will get similar performance on both Windows and Linux.

You're right about Intel and AMD drivers though. They are slower than on Windows and use completely different code base than their windows counterparts. Valve even has 3 developers working on the AMD driver and mesa to fix the situation.

Sure OpenGL is not slow but for some reason all the OpenGL implementations are except for few special snowflakes finely tuned by OpenGL savants.

>numale
>firefox
wut

>You can check

But there's your problem. The Thalos principle was developed by Linux enthusiast aimed at at an adult crowd that is familiar with technology.

Nvidia drivers, Intel drivers for that matter, and it gets even worse with smaller companies, are not great on Linux. Enough to run basic shit but definitively not topping Windows.
If it was that easy Steam would have released its own successful OS by now.

95% of Sup Forums uses windows as their client OS, according to user agent statistics provided by Hiroshima Nagasaki
Really makes you think, huh?

Yep.
My digits prove it.

>Steven Universe
Just the touch it needed

as good as the browser itself may be, it is also sjw-core so it makes sense for numales to use it

>beards = numale
Fuck you

>as good as the browser itself may be
It's not 2008 anymore. Firefox is bloated as shit, and good luck getting it to not crash like a hormonal bitch every time it tries to run any javascript. I mean, at least use Palemoon, or at LEAST Waterfox.

gtfo retard

what a little edgemaster. isn't it past your bedtime little guy? Or did mom let you have a bottle of mountain dew and now you're up late shitposting?

>Nvidia, Intel, AMD... put all their resources into optimizing Windows OS over Linux
Maybe, but in the end both OS have the same performances with vulkan. That can only mean two things :
drivers on both system have the same optimisation OR the overall quality of linux catch up the lack of optimisation (meaning that if amd and nvidia optimise their drivers even more we will get better performances than windows).

>when you don't have ram, wifi cards or drives who just don't have usable drivers for Linux
>lack of drivers makes your RAM or drives unusable
>wifi never works meme
you got no idea what you're talking about right ?

>Performance on Linux will always be mediocre because of that, if not downright unstable.
see

>be Nvidia driver
>run same OpenGL on Windows and Linux
>the performance is the same
>must be Linux optimization?

I will admit that some enthusiast features come later/never on the Linux driver but the OpenGL and Vulcan parts are just the same between Nvidia Windows and Linux drivers.

Intel driver is at a point where Mesa has better conformance to OpenGL standards than what they use on Windows but is a bit slower on complex workloads. Lets see what happens when they finally land shader cache and threaded opengl to Mesa.

Don't give a dime to MS then. You can use windows 10 for free without issue. You just can't personalize it. Who cares, you're in Chrome or GTA 5 the whole time anyway.

Proof

Again with the cherry picking. Dota 2 is Valve's flagship. Valve went out their way to work on Linux as much as possible in order to find an alternative to Microsoft down the line.

They also have a substantial Linux fanbase which made it financially viable. A mid sized developer won't invest resources to reach for less than a thousand fans who play on Linux, especially if he already has to deal with multi platform porting.

>Lord of the Rings
>White powerful western men fight of hoards of non-whites
Surely it's for numales...

You can't just add meme next to an argument you don't like to make it seem wrong.

Wifi is a genuine problem on Linux, because guess what, that's where you'll find the most variety in hardware. No one is going to invest all the manpower every time to optimize every single small chip for an OS barely anyone uses outside of wired control centers...

>You can use windows 10 for free without issue.
Not him but where?

There just aren't that many games that expose their OpenGL renderer on both Windows and Linux. My point was that Nvidia OpenGL driver is of same quality on both(all) platforms so there is nothing to whine about the quality of Nvidia OpenGL/Vulcan Linux driver.

If they already deal with multi-platform porting a Linux spin isn't a significant extra effort. It becomes hard only when you do a single platform game without a worry about any other platforms.

there's no argument to have with someone that thinks you need drivers on a OS to make your RAM works, or that think a simple drive won't work in linux because of the drivers, when everything works perfectly.
About wifi drivers, the unique problem is when you install a distribution that doesn't come with proprietary packages on its repos (like debian) because some wifi drivers are proprietary, but linux have working drivers and there are no differences between linux and windows on this part.

No really, there's no arguments to have with you. You got no clue about the subject and I'm sure you never used linux

>says consistent 60fps is a joke
Kill yourself, you're to stupid to breathe.

programs like that are just VM's.

he's talking about just installing it, and letting the grace period expire
you can keep using it, it just locks out unimportant shit and nags you if you use a few things like notepad and calculator, which you can just replace to avoid the nags
it doesn't actually stop you from running any windows software, so why bother activating at all?

Pirate windows 10...or get it for free like most people did.

start buying and playing games on Linux so that in a few years it wont be a "joke". Are you literally retarded OP? Do you not understand basic supply and demand?

I'm mostly afraid that they'll spy on me whenever I pirate some shit

then just leave windows offline and use something you trust for those things

Can microshit spy on a virtual box?