>you can easily use linux user
>why don't you believe me
>everything you need exists on linux
>everything everything
>there's literally nothing you can't find on linux natively
Are you fucking kidding me?

if you don't need linux, don't use it

literally nobody does for the desktop.

99% of Sup Forums does not share your opinion, user.

>it's a gamer-pretends-to-be-an-architect-to-justify-his-windows-installation episode

>>everything you need exists on linux
>>everything everything
said nobody ever

I literally use it for work. It's actually a very simple program. It does what it does very well but I believe because they have to cover so much material, they never go very deeply.

I watch all of my TV online and DRM flash players don't work on lincuck

>It's actually a very simple program
Not exactly. It must've taken you years to make such a nice-looking house. Don't you get annoyed by all the unignorable errors?
Also, I'm stealing your floor plans. I hope you don't mind.

>>there's literally nothing you can't find on linux natively
- said nobody ever in the history of said things

>>everything you need exists on linux
Nice strawman you've got there famfam, but nobody says that. What they're actually saying is that everything MOST people need exists on Linux. Some Autodesk software which only used by a few thousand people isn't all that relevant for the 2+ billion computer users around the world.

You can now head back to Sup Forums Timmy...

>I literally use it for work
Then use it on the computer your employer issued to you, and don't care about what that computer runs since all you do on it is work.

>everything MOST people need exists on Linux
Except for an intuitive install process, a familiar user interface, the ability to run native Windows programs such as Microsoft Office without clunky emulators, and plenty of other things.

>Then use it on the computer your employer issued to you
Not every employer is that kind. When I worked as an animator, we had to bring our own computers. They only provided us with the necessary software.

Linux is great if you only want to rice your desktop and shitpost

I work as a programmer.
I haven't had a Windows installation since 2006.

>intuitive install process
OS installers work the same way windows installers do and application

>a familiar user interface
If you're too retarded to learn a UI that doesn't on more or less the exact same logic as windows (which is a feat in itself as mac users learn OSX just fine) there's always KDE. For people who are inept, but not retarded, there's Gnome which works pretty much the same way as OSX which is very much retard learnable

>ability to run native Windows programs such as Microsoft Office without clunky emulators
Not really relevant when there's native software (ether ports or equivalent software) that does the job for 99.9% of people.

As I said Timmy, you can now go back to Sup Forums to rage about how shitty consoles are.

>Worked as a programmer for years
>Only reason I have a Windows install in the first place is to make builds of my software for clients whose IT environments don't allow them to run Windows (#1 reason is that the IT staff don't have the skills to maintain anything other than windows)

>OS installers work the same way windows installers
Except you have to know what grub is and navigate through pages of plain text. Windows has a nice graphical interface that presents everything for you, in plain English.

No average consumer would know what KDE or Gnome is and how to install it.

Native office software is incompatible with Microsoft Office documents. Some people want to import documents from an old computer, or they need that format for school/work. Not to mention a different UI issue is still present.

Installing Ubuntu literally consists of pressing 'next' button several times.

>Except you have to know what grub is and navigate through pages of plain text
Not sure what you've been trying to install, but pretty much every modern Linux distro has a GUI installer about as easy to use as those of Windows and OSX

>No average consumer would know what KDE or Gnome is and how to install it.
As shown by Apple, the average user can learn a UI that isn't exactly the same as Windows and the #1 linux distro out there, Ubuntu, installs Gnome by default

>Native office software is incompatible with Microsoft Office documents
This hasn't been true for a very long time... Other text editors have supported MS office formats since the 90s.

Also, as I said, the UI is not an issue except for those who are even more retarded than mac users.

So how do you deal with the stubborn customer that says "I want Windows, don't give me that '''Linux''' shit."

Is your company too poor to afford a work computer? Quit.

>Except you have to know what grub is
This is false. You literally just burn a DVD or make a bootable flash drive/partition which is as simple as download > open > reboot into DVD/Flash drive > click install > choose your language, keyboard layout, make a password and if you'd like to download updates as you install your OS. I have no idea what grub exactly is and I use Linux just fine and have been since I was underage.
>and navigate through pages of plain text
And buttons. It has the exactly same looking installer as windows
>Windows has a nice graphical interface that presents everything for you, in plain English.
Same as 99% desktop Linux distributions. Look at "how to install Ubuntu" on YouTube, you retarded pajeet. It takes less than 10 minutes.
>No average consumer would know what KDE or Gnome is and how to install it.
They don't need to, and the most normie explanation is "the default UI/theme". They don't need to know anything else other than which is lighter or more modern. Installing them is unnecessary when you can get any by default.
>Native office software is incompatible with Microsoft Office documents.
WPS Office is fully compatible. It's as powerful as windows office, but only has word, excel and powerpoint. The 3 tools office users need. Anything else is used by a minority who should have some technical knowledge.
>Some people want to import documents from an old computer, or they need that format for school/work.
WPS, Google docs.
>Not to mention a different UI issue is still present.
It's not an issue, it's a feature. The same could be said about windows which looks like garbage now. Aero is much better than 10's default UI.

Your information about Linux is outdated by 10 years. Don't talk about things you know nothing about.

>Don't talk about things you know nothing about.
Well you guys senselessly bash Windows 7, so it's only fair I can criticise Linux.

some retards say dumb shit about something i like let me stoop to their level and say dumb shit

user this is why you lost the argument you pretty much defeated yourself

not an argument

Depends on the circumstances really.... If it's some idiot who wants you to put Windows in an all UNIX environment and will only cause you a load of extra work you tell them no and if it's an environment where a Windows install doesn't cause any extra work you go ahead and give them what they want. Same sort of policy works well with any sort of OS/device, if letting people work on iPads doesn't cause you any additional work and they want to do it, you let them do it.

>It's a LINUX HAS NO CAD thread
But user. Stop being a stupid nigger and take a look beyond the tellerrand.
There's things like BricsCAD or Medusa.

>There's things like BricsCAD or Medusa.
They use different, incompatible formats from Revit. Some employers demand specific software because of monopolies.

You're criticising by using outdated "facts". So I could also say capitalism and free market are shit because stock market crashed over 80 years ago.

Doesn't it also have freeCAD? I don't use such software but I've seen it around.

Stop creating strawmans, loaded questions and other fallacies. It's not working and you're just spreading the notion that Microsoft still used their astroturfing tactics.

>Well you guys senselessly bash Windows 7, so it's only fair I can criticise Linux.
Start creating actual arguments based on a reasoning instead of "you guys deserve this because you're mean :(".

Nobody gives a fuck what operatig system you use. Just use what you like but stop shitposting, really nobody gives a fuck

>really nobody gives a fuck
Why don't you realise the same for Linux? Stop shilling it on every corner.

>Doesn't it also have freeCAD?
Yes. It has a lot of alternatives, but people will always parrot the LUL NO CAD meme.

That is a valid point. But wouldn't it be possible to convert the files? As I understand, CAD software is using interpretable files, right?

>CAD software is using interpretable files, right?
Revit uses a proprietary format quite different from CAD. Also, the same doesn't apply to some other software packages.

top autismo.
I dont even use linux

About 1 in 2000 people are architects.
Congratulations, and enjoy your Windows.

>tfw I actually used Revit in college for architectural design

I was a CS major. Brings back some memories

How much would the performance decrease be for running cad software like solidworks in a VM?
>inb4 wine, wineHQ has solidworks 2015 rated as garbage

If you set up a passthrough (kinda difficult), around 3-6%. If not then you'd be using your iGPU so 3-6% worse performance than running CAD without a dedicated GPU. You'd also need at least 10GB RAM since the host OS needs some RAM as well.
So your performance will likely be shit unless you have an i5 or i7, even then it would likely lag if it even starts. To test this try shutting down your PC, unplugging the GPU and try to start solidworks/cad. If it runs fine then you can try using a VM, if not then either abandon all hope or try setting up PCI passthrough. Graphic intense software will run terribly in a VM without a passthrough.

It will run absolutely horribly unless you go the gpu passthrough route.

i use linix bcus i like it and i ddont need any windows ssoftwar

this + programming. If you have actual hobbies you use Windows.

nobody is forcing you to use linux retard but if you can't install a basic linux distro you should kys. I have run two gentoo servers, void on my laptop and lfs in a vm but still use windows10 because it's the best os for my needs

Linux is postmodern art, not a functional work environment.

same

>familiar UI
yes, different operating systems have different UIs
android, iOS, mac os, windows all have different UIs
>intuitive install process
what's so hard about apt-get install
it's much easier and quicker than the windows equivalent. And if you're allergic to commandline(seriously?) there's GUIs for it too
>the ability to run[..]programs such as MS Office
then use windows

Probably more than 80% of the software I use on a daily basis is not available for Linux. Not even counting games. And no I'm not gonna use some open source garbage to replace things like the Adobe CC.

please quote the exact part where he "senselessly bashes Windows 7"

>revit 2010

Kys my man.

I think he just grabbed an image off of Google to represent what he uses.

OP's pic is a Building Information Modelling, not exactly a CAD.

So far I never see any BIM software available on Linux.