/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

Previous thread: If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What's the alternative for x?
alternativeto.net
linuxalt.com
Search for software by category:
linuxlinks.com/Software
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

News:
phoronix.com
webupd8.org
linuxjournal.com
lwn.net
Gaming news:
gamingonlinux.com
linuxgameconsortium.com

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: * Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine
(try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage)
$ man
$ info
$ --help
Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Learn the command line:
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/google
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_(verb)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_inspection#Humorous_terminology
fglt.nl/guides/picking-a-distro.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for Arch Linux.

First for Source Mage GNU/Linux

>Arch Linux
>Arch Linux doesn't provide anything special. People often claim it's "customizable", but it's no more customizable than Ubuntu itself. The community is also very unwelcoming to people who want to customize it beyond what the devs intended.

>There's claims of it being "lightweight", but a debian netinstall is smaller than a base Arch Linux installation. This is mostly due to Arch Linux including development headers in all their packages, which is completely unneeded for a binary package distribution.

>An email from an Arch Linux dev on Arch Linux

What the fuck am I reading. strcat is also not an arch linux dev.

Where are my Source Mage GNU/Linux brothers!

Are there any GTK3 themes which won't make my GUIs look like web2.0 "flat" hipster shit?

also please no dark themes

Vertex, deepin

What distro come with a kernel with a framebuffer? I want play vids without X

Which distros zealot fanfags is easiest to trigger and why is it arch linux?

most of them, probably your as well.
run:
zgrep CONFIG_FB /proc/config

to confirm.

I'm on Ubuntu and gave nothing.

"archers" are probably the ones with the thickest skin considering all those posts and threads against arch there.
I would say devuan users or generally anti-systemd users.

Must be painful having fallen for the anti-systemd meme.

No fb0 in dev.

Second.

Just lost my 145 days uptime penis. Fucking hell. Is there a way to limit the max. amount of allowed processes?

Yes.

look into ulimit
did you fork bomb yourself?

Yeah, I forgot that shell functions are recursive ...
>ulimit
ty

>muh magic numbers
truly the greatest achievement of a GNU/neet

So kdbus was some cancerous shit. What about this BUS1 thing?

Does anyone know how to configure the nvidia drivers on a laptop with optimus running arch? I tried running nvidia-xconfig but X stopped working.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus

xf86-modesettings or xf86-intel?

> buy 20 dollar laptop from thicc grill off LetGo
> install Debian, Arch, Ubuntu, Manjaro and all hang at bootafter update
> Chroot in from live usb, no real info from journalctl

Pic related is Manjaro Dev branch RC1 after applying updates. Help plz. About to killmyself.

maybe try something without systemd?

xf86-modesetting is some deprecated shit. The modesetting you're thinking of is included in mesa (I think). You should try that first but if it's not optimal you should try xf86-video-intel too.

I'll give Devuan a go. Thanks.

I tried both and see no difference. I was asking because multiple sources suggest to not install xf86-intel.

>Arch users

what?

New content on /t/

>needing to be spoonfed links to articles on their own wiki

nvidia settings will overwrite xorg.conf.
>Just so's you're not blaming pacman.

you will find morons unable to google or approach the simplest problem everywhere, this doesn't make all humanity retarded.

isn't xorg.conf deprecated?

>pirating games on linux
now, I'm not "gamer" so I don't really care, but considering how small the linux games market share already is, I don't think this is the brightest idea. You are going to discourage companies from supporting linux even more, and afaik that situation is already pretty bad.

>Arch is for advanced users
they said
>we are advanced users
they implied

Please avoid using the term “google” as a verb, meaning to search for something on the internet. “Google” is just the name of one particular search engine among others. We suggest to use the term “search the web” or (in some contexts) just “search”. Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy.

What Dell is that?

GNU/Linux+

Publishers often refer to copying they don't approve of as “piracy.” In this way, they imply that it is ethically equivalent to attacking ships on the high seas, kidnapping and murdering the people on them. Based on such propaganda, they have procured laws in most of the world to forbid copying in most (or sometimes all) circumstances. (They are still pressuring to make these prohibitions more complete.)

If you don't believe that copying not approved by the publisher is just like kidnapping and murder, you might prefer not to use the word “piracy” to describe it. Neutral terms such as “unauthorized copying” (or “prohibited copying” for the situation where it is illegal) are available for use instead. Some of us might even prefer to use a positive term such as “sharing information with your neighbor.”

Inspiron 1018 I think. Intel Atom single core at 1.6ghz. Anything other than i3 drags with it.

I'm pretty sure it's not a closed club. Anyone can download the iso and install it. As always you shouldn't judge something because of a smaller noisy minority of ignorant (especially if we are talking about shitposters on Sup Forums).

You spend 6 months not getting paid writing a book then just give it out for free.See how you'd like it

freetards BTFO

Free as in freedom, not beer.

REKT!!

Dosent fucking apply retard.
Go write a book, publish it, then actively give it away for free to everyone.
See how the real world works for a change

Free as in freedom, not as in free beer.

You arent "free" to distribute copies of it

no

Welcome to he real world freetard. World dosent work that way

Isn't Wayland supposed to make KeepassX etc. not work? I'm testing Wayland on Gnome and KeePassXC auto-type worked fine with Firefox..? Is it because it's XWayland?

google as verb means to use google to search something over the internet. People use this term because google is simply the best and most diffuse search engine.
This term is also an accepted neologism (i.e. not considered a grammar error):
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/google
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_(verb)

can is change ubuntu repos to debian repos without complete breakage?

Wayland is meme, and causes an entirely new set of problems, just use X11

>shilling as spying search engine
>doing it for free

>Is it because it's XWayland?
yes, both keepass and firefox can't run natively on wayland

hi newfriend, let me bring you up to speed
Arch users are usually arrogant pricks that like to boast how they're better than everybody
if you've been here for the past couple of years, you'd know how fucking annoying they can get
most of them pretend to be superior while in reality they're just as incomptent as the rest us
Sup Forums's had it with their bullshit
because they think they're so much better than everyone, Arch users get no mercy for their mistakes
a vocal and very obnoxious part of their community brought this upon all of them

He is asking to avoid the word as verb, he doesn't claim that it's technically wrong, retard.

was just explaining that "to google something" is not an error. Aside that, I can have on option without being a "shill".
Also note you are currently using a website that make use of different google services.

What is your favorite search engine anyway?

try searx

>google as a verb
"I'll just run a search algorithm on that" sounds much more techie.

see searx.me

>tldr: fuckin' run a search algorithm on it

kek
ddg

Let me run a search algorithm on that for you.

You mean the debtards that have arch in a vm and their uptime is always less then 10 minutes?
Those guys?

nah, that was mostly random shitposting and/or trolling, not necessarily from actual arch users, akin to those anons posting about black guys fucking white girls or general "white shaming" on Sup Forums.
About Sup Forums, you could say the same about anyone, from "wintards" to gentoo users or anti- or pro- systemd fags or linux users in general.

The reality is just that there are a lot obnoxious, trolls or just ignorant people on Sup Forums. Not realizing that is an error because you risk falling in the same ignorance and becoming a shitposter/troll yourself. Try to make this place a little better instead of lowering yourself to their level.

install source mage

I already read that page but it didn't help. I have gone back to windows for the time being but I will try to reinstall tomorrow.

I will as soon as I finish eating my dinner

that's kind of strange since you tried to run the nvidia autoconfiguration utility.

I have a small laptop with a 128gb SSD and Win10 on it. I'm looking for a small/lightweight linux distro to put on it for some linux-specific development. Any suggestions?

I have an ultrabook that I'm currently using for work, however having to travel a lot I constantly find Windows burning through my battery even with power settings setup correctly, eco mode enabled, you name it I've tried it. I get a solid six hours but I need more for international travel and times when I simply do not have access to an outlet.

Is there a distro that I can install a very basic set of utilities on such as a browser, a basic TeX setup/document editor suite with maximising battery life in mind? For anything more intensive I would boot into my Windows partition.

I was considering getting Remix, but I'm unsure if this is the right place to ask questions about that considering it's android. Perhaps Haiku or Puppy? I know very little about *nix outside of Lubuntu/AWS so forgive my ignorance.

any of them

All of them

people who say 'to google' basically mean 'searching the web', I'm using seax and I acciently say 'I googled' myself sometimes when I actually used a different engine

'piracy' is actually a pretty evil smear word and should never be used, same with 'intellectual property'. those words exist for the sole purpose of brainwashing and bending laws torwads greedy companies

good blog
install gentoo

Unless there is some specific problem with your window system that drain your battery, you won't generally get better battery duration on linux compared to windows. Chances are that it is going go be worse since power management on linux in not always the best.

GNU/Linux*

>Obscure package manager which most likely will lack what I need

Useful comments, thanks.

Can someone please give me a good suggestion.

ubuntu or lubuntu.

You already got all informations related to your question.

Install the one I'm using. It's literally the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use.

Might as well go with the tried solution. Hopefully TDP will give me some more battery life since ubuntu is not very small.

I do?

I'm still in the thread so if anyone wants to share some neat small distro, I'm here.

>neat small distro
tinycore

Oh damn, I figured a really minimal install with only the absolute bare essentials and a few programs would get longer life. That's a shame I guess, I suppose I'll either get a portable power bank or a lightweight tablet I can flash and root then.

And what would that be?

That's actually not half bad.

well trying won't harm, boot a live system for one day just to test battery usage.

First of all you should remove that microsoft malware.

Wish I could but I need it. I run blackbird tho.

Reminds me of this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_inspection#Humorous_terminology

puppy

Indeed, I'm going to try out Puppy/Tinycore/Arch individually and see when I have some free time. It would be good to get more hands on experience with *nix anyway.

fglt.nl/guides/picking-a-distro.html