I've been told that I'd need Intel KABY LAKE to play 4K shit on my computer. No chips prior to Kaby Lake and no AMD...

I've been told that I'd need Intel KABY LAKE to play 4K shit on my computer. No chips prior to Kaby Lake and no AMD. Is that true???

My 6 month old Skylake won't be able to play 4K?

What kind of jewing is this???

Other urls found in this thread:

tomshardware.com/news/netflix-kaby-lake-cpu-4k,33070.html
youtube.com/watch?v=cI-a4WZWwZc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I play 4k on skylake
4k on kaby lake is just more power efficent

It's got hardware support.

He probably means streaming 4k or 4k blurays. Both of which "require" SGX and kaby lake.

Though certain i5 and i7 skylake SKUs were updated with SGX instruction support in the 2nd retail revision.

However they require the motherboard have BIOS support and right now it's mainly only 200 series motherboards which support SGX. However even with all of that pioneer claims they REQUIRE a kaby lake CPU for UHD bluray playback, as do Netflix for their UHD streaming.

Tldr you might be able to keep your CPU if you upgrade to a 200 series motherboard, but even that isn't guaranteed to work.

Kaby Lake has everything required

HEVC Main10 hardware decoding
Intel SGX
HDCP 2.2 support
Microsoft PlayReady 3.0 DRM support

Skylake does not support HEVC Main10 hardware decoding in its GPU and some early Skylake batches don't have SGX enabled

you won't be playing movies or blurays!

It's not hardware support to play 4K.

It's nothing but a proprietary software licensing deal. Intel is merely paying some companies money to detect if the client's CPU is Kabylake and only enabling 4K if it is.

Tons of CPUs could decode and play 4K perfectly fine and efficiently. This is just something like DRM, not hardware.

>Intel SGX
^^^ this. this is what's preventing 4K playback. it's an artificial barrier designed to fuck pirates but impact everyone who doesn't use latest Intel shit.

Kaby Lake does NOT have HDMI 2.0.

Don't forget that.

So no HTPC that you can connect to a 4K HDTV. Since 4k TV's pretty much only have HDMI inputs.

I should clarify, and say it's something like DRM and not a core like Quicksync for decoding efficiently.

SGX instructions are 100% a hardware thing. You can claim they shouldn't REQUIRE SGX, but that's what allows them to use anormal encrypted key that can't be cracked. The CPU can set aside a portion of RAM that's fully encrypted from the user, this allows your CPU to decrypt the AACS 2.0 encrypted key in a fully encrypted and trusted environment.

This is only possible because of SGX

You don't need to verify a key to playback 4K video.

Does Netflix actually have a problem with piracy? They should be able to verify that they're fulfilling requests for video to non-subscribers.

I guess it's about not ripping and saving the 4K? But that can be done by recording the screen even if it's not 100% the same quality then.

>Kaby Lake does NOT have HDMI 2.0.
HAHHAHAHAHA

So... we'll have to wait for Coffee Lake for Intel to finally get thier shit together and release something that can play back 4K commercial content???

What a fucking scam. I bet their Israeli division came up with this plan.

i watched 4k shit on netflix

It's 100% about stopping lossless rips.

They know it can be gotten around by capping the screen, but they're doing it anyway as its another barrier that will dissuade some people from pirating even though most will continue despite it.

Also Netflix has a major problem with people pirating their Netflix originals. As its the only way for non-Netflix members to watch shows like house of Cards or orange is the new black

Then you used a 4k TV, as Netflix requires a kabylake hardware for playback on a computer. As they REQUIRE play ready DRM 3.0 or whatever they call it.

you're retarded. gtfo of this thread.
tomshardware.com/news/netflix-kaby-lake-cpu-4k,33070.html

Yes and I'm saying that barrier is not worth depriving customers of 4K.

Netflix could have charged more money per month for 4K. Instead they're limiting it ONLY to the few suckers that got Kaby Lake instead of waiting for Ryzen.

Pirates don't even care about lossless rips. 95% quality is good enough. Instead they're making their target to deliver/sell 4K to tiny. It's so stupid.

>They know it can be gotten around by capping the screen, but they're doing it anyway as its another barrier that will dissuade some people from pirating even though most will continue despite it.

they do it to make content providers happy

the percentage of people ripping netflix stuff is incredibly small, and wont be dissuaded by some minor inconveniences

you faggots realise this is for the content with the brand new DRM right?
you do realise netflix had 4k series years before kaby lake was released

Oh I agree it's not worth it, but it's what is happening

No, they had 2k content. 4k content is only streamable to 4k TVs. And as of November, streamable to kabylake equipped PCs, but only if they have windows 10 and only if they use the Microsoft edge browser.

Yes and basically what I'm trying to say is that no one should support this bullshit.

If Kaby Lake had an improved QuickSync core that decoded and encoded 4K more efficiently, that's one thing.

Fuck Intel. I'm so glad I'll never have to buy their shit ever again.

Well there is no alternative.

If you want quality you have to support it. Period.

Netflix has had 4k content, but only on a few devices that probably had the built in DRM into the CPU.

Now you CAN watch 4k Netflix on your desktop, but you need Kaby Lake + Edge browser.

Well yea, the content was shot in 4k, but that doesn't really matter when they weren't streaming it in 4k to any devices until 2014 and then it was only 4k TVs with the built in Netflix app

So they had 4k content several years ago. Great argument, idiot.

...that wasn't being streamed.

Not to mention has only been streamed to PCs for ~4 months.

My whole point is if you've watched 4k Netflix, it wasn't on a PC.

>Watching movies on a computer monitor

youtube.com/watch?v=cI-a4WZWwZc

Kaby Lake is superior to Skylake when it comes to HEVC Main10 hardware decoding

7100U lmao

So what? Skylake with a GTX 1070 is better than kabylake with its iGPU. But only kabylake can playback UHD blurays

>I've been told that I'd need Intel KABY LAKE to play 4K shit on my computer
Only 4K Netflix, because of DRM, not performance. You can play 4K on literally anything as long as it has the required performance and/or hardware decoders.

4k blurays

windows 10 has netflix app that allows 4k streams

The required optical drivers already came out? I was under the impression they weren't available yet.

Nope, only 1080p and I think 1440p.

4k ONLY works in edge per the Netflix website and the support staff I spoke to

Pioneer is releasing one next week in Japan

I guess you'd need the DRM cancer for that as well, starting next week then.

you can just get a DP to HDMI 2.0

Problem with that is you might run into HDCP 2.2 problems. So no 4k Netflix/Bluray for you.

An active converter is required you'd need to make sure it's HDCP 2.2 compliant for DRM content.

Since it's an active converter it would also add input lag.

>Problem with that is you might run into HDCP 2.2 problems. So no 4k Netflix/Bluray for you.
If I wanted to play legitimate acquired content I would just buy a cheap 4k bluray player instead of bothering with a HTPC.

just use ptp and btn and you are set for life even with an old intel atom.

>getting a btn invite
easier to get a job and buy all the shit I want than to get a invite for that place

>you can just get a DP to HDMI 2.0
kek'd. that won't work.

I've had issues with HDMI 2.0 to HDMI 2.0 connections! There's no fucking way DP will work.

>just use ptp and btn and you are set for life even with an old intel atom.
How? THere's not even a link to apply.

You dont apply, you get invited, if you don't even know where to get invited from it's safe to say you're at least 6-12 months from getting an invite anyway.

>seekrit club
that's fucking bullshit man. I'll stick to link download sites.

How many itt even have bandwidth to steam 4k?

What kind of streaming are we talking abut? Netflix's 4k stream have a bitrate around 15mbps, raw 4k bluray are between 40 and 90 mbps, unless you live in some shithole you can stream multiple 4k movies at the same time

You need Kaby Lake to watch 4k on Netflix. That's it. That's the reason.

>You need Kaby Lake to watch 4k on Netflix. That's it. That's the reason.
Upcomign 4K blurays too. They all require SGX instructions to keep content "safe" from pirates.

They're just going to be pirated more as a result. Everyone isn't going to go out to get KL just to watch fucking 4k blu-rays.

problem is that the files are huge. will you wait a day to download some 4K movie?

>will you wait a day to download some 4K movie?
No but i'll wait 20-30 minutes, which is all it takes if you don't have third world tier internet