Learning linux from scratch

hi Sup Forums new user here.

I would like to start learning more by linux and eventually migrate completely to it.

Where do I start learning about using distros such as debian and gentoo?

thanks!

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxjourney.com/
debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's in the title

Start by installing Linux on a lesser supported Bay Trail 2 in 1.

I'd recommend starting with Ubuntu, and slowly making modifications to it to your liking.

Once you are more comfortable, you can try Arch or Gentoo (whichever you prefer) and then set up your own system (e.g. install X, your DE or window manager of choice, rice it up like everyone else).

Just keep in mind that most people will not spoonfeed you and you will often have to search for answers online. In this day and age, just give your problem or question a Google, and you will usually find an answer.

Despite what every other stuck-up elitist here says, Ubuntu is a great way to start since it's easy to get started with and doesn't waste your time.

Good luck user, and have fun!

ill give ubuntu a try I guess. any books to start reading? the command line and server parts appear quite complicated at a first glance.

Use Ubuntu and reference the Arch Wiki frequently. I'd even suggest Arch Forums.I started on Ubuntu and really liked it for a few years, but I like to mess around with some specific things and installing Arch made that easier. I still use Ubuntu for my server,though.

I installed gentoo when i was 6 years old.

I just installed minimal debian netinstall and added everything I needed later. It took me some time but I've learned a lot.

I also just fucked it all up compiling a low latency kernel and I'll never be able to install gentoo.

ah okay, so its more like just trial and error and building up experience over time?

Go with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Desktop) first, install it in a VM and play around with it.

This site might be helpful to start out:
linuxjourney.com/

Not him, but it's both really. Trial and error, experience, and the willingness to search around for answers. You'll be fine.

I though you were asking for LFS so I clicked on this thread.

Anyway, this

underrated post, wish it was real thou

Get a Pluralsight membership. There's enough Linux tutorials there to keep you occupied and get you to a level where you're not just asking dumb questions.

Please just use minimal debian, ubuntu is basically debian with a bunch of "features" tacked onto it someone who is starting out should not have or would even begin to comprehend how to appreciate.

Learn how apt-get and x works and go ham.

Also Unity is hot garbage that will have any modern computer huffing and puffing for no reason.

How about books and free online courses? How does one go from being a novice to a sysadmin wizard?

Try a popular distribution like Ubuntu or Debian first.

1. Run into a problem
2. Google on how to fix the problem
3. Subconsciously remember how to fix the problem
4. Become a Linux wizard over time.

Remember that people use Linux to get stuff done. Don't Linux because Linux, use it because you need it to get things doneq. And don't be afraid to try different distributions, if one doesn't work for you, just switch back. Remember that Linux is not a replacement for Windows. (Google 'Linux is not Windows')

debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/

1-Install Debian.
2-If you encounter a problem google it until you solve it.
3-Congratulations you now use linux.

>debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/
Thank you user. :)

You're the coolest faggot I know.