What's your opinion on our language? In my experience...

What's your opinion on our language? In my experience, lots of foreigners actually come to really appreciate it over time. Then again, the bar isn't really set that high, since most people don't really hear German unless it's some SS goon barking orders at his underlings in a WW2 movie.

The German language seems to grow on Anglos especially over time. That makes sense, since German is literally just English with some weird extra sounds due to the vowel and consonant shift over history ("ch" and "pf" most notably)

What's your opinion, have you ever heard an actual German speak? If so, did it really sound as harsh and abrasive as the memes make it out to be? Can you distinguish the different local dialects?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/JjIOsJiKjDw?t=33s
youtube.com/watch?v=64Hilbd_jMg
youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4Dfa4fOEY
youtube.com/watch?v=QPUEdw9HD1A?
youtube.com/watch?v=OnPDk1GBdcE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Last time I was in Germany was in 2008.
The language sounds fucking awful

Damn Diane Kruger is litterally the most perfect woman on earth.

I lived in Germany for a year. I will say that it's extraordinarily satisfying to become able to speak in German with little to no mistakes. It's very crisp and concise. But I will say that Germans' lame sense of humor and inability to hold provocative conversation really takes away from speaking it with native speakers. Because of this most of my fun times speaking German have been from speaking with with fellow foreigners in German.

deutsche sprache ist scheiBe

Without German, my dialect would not be as based as it currently is, so I guess I can say I like it.

The "harsh and abrasive" thing is a meme that needs to stop. However I don't find german particularly beautiful (I've been "learning" it for the past 7 years or so). I like it better than english for having an actual, real grammar though.

mexicans ruined spanish

Mejico fue un error

t. Hernán Cortés

German has too many autistic rules. English got rid of most of them and is the language of global science, technology and culture. Which just goes to show how unnecessary all the autistic rules are

>have you ever heard an actual German speak?
yes, the husband of a cousin of mine is german

>If so, did it really sound as harsh and abrasive as the memes make it out to be?
not really, it sounded okay, not too angry but not too soft

>Can you distinguish the different local dialects?
nope

>inability to hold provocative conversation
b-but can you into this?

Taking this into consideration, I have no option but to like it:
>There was no massive migration of Indo-European-languages-speaking population to north. There was only the so-called pioneer colonization of the Uralic-language- speaking area by Indo-European-language-speaking people. Northern Indo-European languages – Germanic, Baltic and Slavic – may be the result of a transition of Uralic or any other old Northern European-language-speaking population to an Indo-European language form. New speakers of the Indo-European language form spoke their new language poorly, with many phonetic and morphosyntactic mistakes. We can see these mistakes even today in the contemporary Germanic, Baltic and Slavic languages.

for what purpose?

>the language of global science, technology
Arguable but ok
>culture
Hell no. Hell fucking no. Except if you're talking about degenerate modern globalized culture, then yes. English is perfect at spreading degeneracy and pseudo culture.

Who cares? You will be speaking a synthetic Arab-Turkish language soon.

German is harsh and ugly. It's one of the ugliest languages with Dutch, Arabic and Asian languages.

English is the global language of science and technology. That's just a fact.

That looks disgusting.

Also, I've been learning German in my university. Finished Beginning German I & II now moving onto intermediate.

Captain America bringing the bants.

pay denbts

Why does he have to be an animal and make such a fucking mess?
This is atrocious.

it sounds very nice to listen to in a weird sort of way, not in a relaxing way like listening to French, but in a stern kind of way like listening to a brilliant professor teach, or a one of those gifs that loop together to make it so satisfying.

Yes, because it's efficient and easy. It conveys lots of information with only a few words. That also makes it a bit unprecise though.

You can't argue with Frenchanon regarding culture, arts and such. Given our low population (compared to the Anglosphere), German and French have always been fairly prevalent in literature, philosophy, poetry and drama.

You just have so many more options to express yourself with French or German compared to English.

I'm actually learning it and until now I can say that I really like the language, it's quite interesting in its own way. It has a lot of similarities with English and Portuguese which facilitate my learning process. I'd say German is perfect as a third language.

>have you ever heard an actual German speak?
Yes, lots of.

>If so, did it really sound as harsh and abrasive as the memes make it out to be?
An average German speaking it is quite normal to me, it doesn't sound harsh or anything.

>French
HONHONHON OMELETTE AU FROMAGE BIEN SUR LA MÊMÊ

>did it really sound as harsh and abrasive as the memes make it out to be?

I mean..

kek, that's a great metaphor. After all, you often hear that German sounds very imposing and almost intimidating, at least that's what foreigners have told me.

Are you from one of the German diaspora hotspots in Brazil? What are German-Brazilians like, did they assimilate completely like German-Americans or are German language and culture still a thing in some BR locations?

Also good luck with your studies! Which resources do you use, Duolingo or something?

When talking about esthetic of languages, finland should keep low profile, if you see what I mean ;^)

What does English sound like?
Is it similar to hearing Danish or something?

German spoken by a female sounds fucking hot.
Also Diane Krüger is a 10/10, would impregnate her Aryan womb with my Mongolian seed.
youtu.be/JjIOsJiKjDw?t=33s

You are German and therefore you can't be impartial like every native speaker. German isn't "English with some weird extra sounds". What do you think about extra grammar? You are able to compare French, Spanish, and Italian, but not so different languages like your and English.

Elvish is based on Finnish, your opinion is irrelevant.

youtube.com/watch?v=64Hilbd_jMg

youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4Dfa4fOEY

it actually sounded super gay
i could tell austrians and germans apart by their accents, austrians don't sound as lispy
but german-german is super gay

German sounds okay. But you do use too many suffixes. And your accent in Dutch and English is very, very gay.

English sounds like a softer and more melodic version of Danish actually, only on Brits though. Americans are an entirely different beasts, I literally can't conjur up a representation of what Americans sound like to a foreigner.

I love the German music. I listen to a lot of Austrian and German music for this reason. I want to learn German really bad and I'm doing so, very lazily, might I add.

As long as Germans are scared of offending people, they will never be fun conversation partners. This is why I moved on to Slavic languages.

Yea

So you listen to Volksmusik and such then? In that case, you should absolutely come to Bavaria in the summertime. Lederhosen, party tents filled with busty, Dirnd-clad waitresses carrying ungodly amounts of beer in Maßkrügen and the music will be to your liking too.

It's actually fucking hilarious how Bavaria alone is responsible for like 90 % of all German stereotypes (besides the supposed rudeness of Germans, we're pretty friendly and hospitable). It triggers non-Bavarians to no end.

Where did you go? I'm gonna guess not Bavaria, since PC isn't that big a thing down here.

>Volksmusik
What kind? Like this youtube.com/watch?v=QPUEdw9HD1A?

kek, yes. Is that Slovak?

Primarily former east berlin. Older East Berliners were fun to talk to because they have that post-Soviet way of calling shit shit. But the younger generation are all PC and worship American culture.
Beg to differ on the Bavaria thing. I triggered multiple left-wingers in Munich by barely showing even a little of my Sup Forumslack power-level.

>German is literally just English with some weird extra sounds due to the vowel and consonant shift over history ("ch" and "pf" most notably)

The grammar and syntax aren't the same at all. Only in the simplest sentences is that the case.
>SOV order for unconjugated verbs and subordinates clauses
>no progressive tense so many things get reworded
>time and space terms often come before the nouns rather than after
>different choices for prepositions with verbs and idioms
>cases obviously and gender
>slightly different placement of nouns and pronouns, (weil mir das gefällt) for example

Krautbabble is sometimes complicated for the sake of being complicated. A lot of things don't click well with english speakers for some reason. At least Japanese is consistent despite being so different from IE languages. Is there any other language that changes its word order depending on the sentence type?

Here in Brazil we do not think much about heritage and that's true for the majority of German-Brazilians. But no, we didn't assimilate completely since there are some German festivals here, the biggest one being the Oktoberfest which is realized in Blumenau (town from Santa Catarina). We also like beer a lot, and I think this is part of the German legacy.

>Which resources do you use, Duolingo or something?
I've been using Duoling but it wasn't helping me to memorize words so I'm using a course called "Deutsch, warum nicht?" and it's being truly helpful.

>he doesn't respect Slovene Oberkrainer music

youtube.com/watch?v=OnPDk1GBdcE

Dude, München doesn't represent our Bundesland. Go to Nürnberg instead, basically the entire Northern part is GOAT. In Middle Bavaria, Regensburg is a nice enough place. As for Southern Bavaria, I recommend Augsburg. Pic related, my hometown in Northern Bavaria. Perfect if you like comfy medieval-looking cities and an abundance of pubs. Pretty non-cucked too.

What were you in München for that you had so much exposure to left-wingers?

Yeah, I was referring to the pronunciation. Low German did away with all the grammatical autism when >we split up. Mix that with some French words and you got English.

But don't you like the sheer diversity of forms of expression? I find it absolutely cool how many different grammatically correct options you have with our language

Cheers mate. Would really love to visit South Brazil one day and see if the memes are real.

Sorry mate, I get your flags all wrong most of the time. Come up with a new color scheme or something! That pan-slavic stuff is played out.

I was under the impression that Nuremberg and Augsburg got remodelled by the RAF. I only had nominal exposure to both passing through on the train and couldn't see much.

I was in Thuringia a lot and greatly enjoyed its spooky vibes, pic related. Must be a bit like Northern Bavaria.
I was in Germany on a youth exchange program, so our coordinators and city guide were all leftist Hahnrei-Hochmeister.

I'll check out more of Bavaria next time I'm in country. I guess living in graffiti-littered modernist hellhole that is Berlin ruined Germany for me.

uglier than english. and that is saying something

just a gay version of dutch

No, not at all. Nbg and Augsburg even made it through WW2 comparatively unscathed. Pic related, Nürnberg.

Yeah, Thüringen is underrated as a Bundesland. Weimar however, is a complete bust. You hear about how it was the German capital during our first laughable attempt at democracy and how German literature, poetry and drama flourished there for a good while, but the city doesn't live up to its hype at all.

Did you go to Potsdam? If your image of Berlin is formerly Prussian nobility residential city, you'll find that Potsdam fits that profile much more. Beautiful castles and architecture galore.

>But don't you like the sheer diversity of forms of expression? I find it absolutely cool how many different grammatically correct options you have with our language
Of course I still like the language otherwise I wouldn't bother learning. It's my favorite language in Europe.

I just find it irritating to keep some aspects of the language straight. It gets even worse once you realize how much variation there is in colloquial speech and the dialects.
>inflections change or disappear
>people don't bother with subordination or the word order just changes in weird ways
>conjugations change or are shortened
The stuff is a mess to figure out. I can't imagine trying to learn one of the strong dialects like Allemanic and Bavarian. I heard that they screw with the word order and pronunciation even more.

>thinking a language should be rated by how easy it is to learn

I said nothing of the sort.

it sounds deep and based

Deutsche Sprache, schlechte Sprache.

She's short

We have a lot of broness with Germany. We took them like a brother takes his fallen comrade after suffering defeat and gives him a hug

I tried to learn it, but, you know the quote: "Life is too short to learn German", I´m still trying to learn it though

savage

Truly our greatest ally. What was up with Messi 2014 though? He was as good as never before in the National team but then completely disappeared in the Finale. I like Messi a great deal and it would be a shame if he retired without winning the WC. Didn't deserve it with that performance though.

Also, how many Germans are there in Argentina? The meme in Germany is that lots of high-ranking Nazis and such fled to Argentina after the Reich collapsed. You also have lots of people with quintessentially German surnames.

Kill yourself, frog nigger.

I'm studying german, and I must say that I simply love it. Reading something in german is not only deep because of the incredible scope of the language, but also satisfying to see how the grammar allows interesting meanings and sentences.

I went to Germany in 2012, so I have heard germans speaking german.

I don't understand how people can say it's a harsh language. At most, it's like mixing english roots with french sounds, minus the faggotry.