Lads...

Lads, after 12 years of service my good ol' desktop computer has dieded or at least one can say she's in her final stages.

Now, I'm not gonna buy a new desktop computer since it was pretty much a Facebook machine for the past ~5 years, and a desktop just seems overkill.

I'm looking for laptop recommendations, my budget is around $600 and there's two things I'm looking for: HDMI out, and a non-shit resolution. And the ability to install an SSD on it, but I think I might hoping for a lot considering my budget.

Sup Forums is not your consumer review site
bring us your options and we shall judge them

I have no idea about laptops, never owned one. Just one preference though; no Acer shit, I hate that fucking brand, everything I owned by them broke after a year.

Thinkpad, X220.
Change the screen, install an SSD, swap out the CPU for an i7.
You'd have some shekels to spare as well.

Acer makes some decent laptops for normal usage with nvidia graphics cards if you're a casual gaymer.

Honestly get something that has at least an i5, good battery, and maybe a graphics card (no integrated graphics bs).

Remember Sup Forums, this guy wants a facebook machine, he's not one of us.

Sup Forums this is why the world looks at us as total weirdos.

The desktop PC wasn't used by me as a Facebook machine.
>$1.220 cheapest price
Reading the OP maybe?
I don't wanna risk it again with Acer.

bump

even with the same brands, laptops vary a lot... for example, some HP laptops suck: overheat a lot, keyboards are shit, etc, etc., while mine, for example, is very good (except for the plastic case...) but not very powerful

what I'd do is ask someone with a relatively new laptop, if their laptop overheats, how good is their battery life, etc

what you should do is give us a budget, and we could start from there. also, again, ask people to talk from experience, not from what they think could be good

Thank you for bumping but come on dude, I literally posted my budget on the OP.

sorry, I'm too lazy to read the OP
btw, I forgot to mention: what you could also do is to look for info on specific laptops. say, you found a laptop model you like in some website. you then google the model/series and look for threads related to it. this works at least for HP laptops, they usually have whole series with mostly the same hardware, so you can find lots of info easily

Look into a refurbished dell latitude. Cheap, good resolution, business-class sturdy

Acer laptops are pretty nice for the price, if you can manage to take care of them that is.

In any case please get a laptop with dedicated graphics. An older gaming laptop with an i7-4810mq or similar would be a great investment, MSI GT70 Dominator's last a good while if taken care of. Pic related to just how good these older gaming laptops hold up and how far they can go. I'm a laptop guy and I'm still looking for a faster laptop, haven't found one yet that comes close to mine.

Used, you mong.
Nobody buys new thinkpads on Sup Forums.

This. For $600 anything not used is throwing your money away on MUH NEW HARDWARE / WARRANTY

>used hardware
Absolutely disgusting

>windows 10 only hardware
>not being disgusted with yourself
user how could you?

isn't the cpu soldered to the mother board on the x220?

Actually, you're right.
You'd need to swap out the entire motherboard to upgrade it, my bad.

Are HP laptops any good?

Please no. If you need more discouragement look up the DV6000 series, all of them had poor design and died shortly after being made.

Their current trackpads on the laptops are so bad they don't even have physical buttons.

Here's what they use for a track pad click button. It's a track pad mounted into the base. There are two springs holding the pad up from the bottom on the BOTTOM edge of the pad. This bottom edge has a single tact switch button under the pad. (Closest to you). It determines if you right or left click by what side your figure is on the pad when you push down.

If you're lucky it'll work. Most of the time right or left side is harder to push and if you're unlucky you may very well end up not being able to use one side or the other. See also: How leverage works. It's so much harder to push a center button when you press on a long inefficient lever.

Source: I tried to fix one of these bitches of a laptop and had to tell my customer that it just had poor engineering that I can't fix. I even took the time to explain why it can't be fixed.

Well, I'll pass then.

Dell laptops are way too expensive, I guess it's between Acer and Asus now.

mate, all tech companies have fuck ups
you mention an old (IIRC) series of laptops. that doesn't mean tomorrow they will release another bad series...
by that logic, we shouldn't buy intel, nvidia, or amd hardware.

I mentioned the recent failure of their trackpad. I'm just showing examples of some pretty avoidable fuck ups they haven't learned from. Every company will screw up at one point, but when I've had to deal with this shit as a repair tech it's insane. Stick with Dell, IBM, Asus, Acer, MSI, (Cyberpower is MSI), Alienware (Dell), Clevo (Sager, Eurocom), Toshiba. HP (Gateway, Compaq) is not to be trusted. Poor design laptop after laptop that I've seen. I own 70 laptops of different makes and models from a variety of ages. Personally the best older laptops were Dell, IBM and Toshiba. Gateway before being sold out to HP was also a solid buy. Best newer laptops in my opinion are Dell, IBM, Toshiba, Acer, Asus and MSI. MSI and Asus being more enthusiast brands and Clevo being serious professional / gamer.