/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Reminder that this guy BTFO everyone.

Not really, no.

Sarb003, good or no?

>I'd like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to to as meeting COSC Certification, is in fact not meeting COSC Certification
Yes, you ARE that retarded.

Not an argument.

All this autism aside, I just bought pic related
I normally hate citizen but this is steel (as opposed to the Casio AQ series that's chromed plastic) and the module for the digital bit has a backlight

Not sure how I feel about the non-centralized seconds (maybe it is who knows) but it seemed like it was worth it since it's only like 50 bucks more than the AQ. ($70)
Did I fuck up?

Casio AQ230 for comparison

I like it. How much?

I prefer the Casio myself.
But I don't think you fucked up, if you like it, you like it.

Alright, so what you're saying is "cosc certification" was used as an "exaggeration."

How fucking stupid is that? Is this really what Sup Forums has become? Why don't we take another technical standard, like 802.11ac. And when someone says something about 802.11ac that's wrong they'll claim it was an "exaggeration" and really just meant an older standard like 802.11g?

Saying "this is within thin standard" is not an exaggeration, it's either correct or it's wrong.

This is similar anyone misunderstanding what an object is in programing, or not understanding how communication protocols like fiberchannel or ethernet are not tied to a specific cable type like twisted pair or fiber optics.

This is a basic, technical misunderstanding on a technology board. You do not know what the word "exaggeration" means.

Sylistically I think I like the Casio more too (more squarish) but the citizen is actually steel and the module has backlighting. Blued hands are cool too, but they might be too short.
70 cuck bucks

PLUS OR MINUS ZERO
Z
E
R
O

I actually just "inherited" my grandfather's watch (asked grandma about it and she gave it to me) which is a similar Citizen Ana-Digi from 1982, the year he turned 50.

The pushers don't work and the bracelet is pretty broken, but I might get it fixed eventually since it has sentimental value and looks pretty cool. The dial is white and slightly sunburst.

tfw poor

*heaves*

Oh wow, I think that might be the exact same module as the one I just bought
Hows the bracelet, does it pinch hairs? Too bad it doesnt work, you could have confirmed for me if it has centralized seconds or not

Yeah, it's exactly the type that pinches your hairs. The end links on mine are completely wrecked though, since the old man used the watch for over 25 years before kicking the bucket.

Dunno yet if I will try to find a new bracelet or stick it on a bloody NATO though.

From the pictures I could find online the bracelet looks at least twice as thick as the casio hair pullers
Clasp looks a lot better as well
This is probably an asian market only watch since I can only find listings of it off weird thai sites, and ebay of course.

>tfw too intelligent to spend over $350 on a watch

>can't afford a watch
>attempts ex post facto justification
>no one buys it

That post is literally the watch pleb manifesto. That you don't even have the good sense to be ashamed of it is even more damning.

Maybe I should have gotten the black dialed one though...

Which looks better to you faggots?

Model number?

Citizen JM0540

This one

Best manual-wind for under £500?

I had a knackered old Russian thing that was manual wind, and though I have a King Seiko and love it I'd like my next watch to not be automatic

nignog pls leave

Also looking for this. Seagull 1963 comes to mind.

Oh shit!

You all set your watch to the second in the morning right?

>SKX013 breaks
>Aprarently the rotor broke or something since it feels like something is loose inside and it only runs for like 5 seconds
>Sits on shelf for a year
>Got some money and i need another watch might aswell ask my dad who lives in a big city to get a watchmaker
>He stays a day with my watch and says it's running normal
uhhhhhhh

Nice to hear its still running dead on. Now take a webm with a straight on shot of the dial so I can watch the second hand snap to each index dead on too.

Indice*

obviously the watchmaker's expertise diffused into ur watch and made it work

Why did the thread die all of a sudden after being excitedly autistic all day?

What do you mean all of a sudden? It was at 350ish posts.

I mean in this thread, it seems slow compared to last.

on /fa/ and /out/ the Sup Forums watch threads were reportedly superior. Maybe a slight influx of posters?

Nothing to argue about, for one. Someone feel like arguing free sprung balance vs smooth balance with me to liven things up?

>on /fa/ and /out/
Why are /fa/ggots being directed here? They should not come here.

Are there >5Hz quartz drop-in replacements for typical quartz movements? Such that you could take the movement out and install the old hands and stem onto the smoother movement and install

/fa/ threads are kinda slow due to low population and slow posting. I think across 5-6 boards people are just looking for a decent wristwatch general thread.

Anyone here own a luch?

Isn't the screw next to the end link coming out?

What's the best place to buy watches on the cheap?

the anime store

Or push release on the clasp

How much?

is there anyway to get a good auto under $500 with a custom dial?

Do it yourself

Just sold this black skx. Cool watch just never wore it.

Dammit these sideways pictures

thats lame

squaaaaaaaaley

That looks fucking disgusting. Especially the bezel and the hour hand.

Not a fan of the strap

How many mm was that?

Ghastly.

Ok really, which is the better looking color?
I ordered the white one but now I like the black one too fuck

I like the blue hands, but I also like the silver on black contrast

White looks nicer imo

42, standard skx007

Yea that is the Christmas theme, usually leave it on a solid olive green nato, looks much better

No. No it does not.

I guess I'll have to see it in person when it gets here, I hate it when promo shots suck shit and you have to make an educated guess on how the watch will look

I like these low-light pictures because the soft sheen of the indices really contrasts nicely

You are entitled to your opinion. It's my watch not yours...not like you have a choice what i choose to do with it.

>sheen of indicies
>contracts with extreme sheen of crystal

>contracts

Honestly, I'm embarrassed for you. Literal AliExpress Chinkshit fakes have better finishing.

Carrera reissue y/n? It's almost identical in case proportions & dial to the original, which is nice.

You're obviously trolling, fag. You're making yourself look retarded by suggesting a Chinese aliexpress watch has a better case than a swiss made $700+ watch. Enjoy your fake Chinese watches, fag.

nice orient homage

Not him but I like the 50 ATMOS, Squalematic, and the Tiger.

But that GMT is fucking disgusting.

>investing in obsolete technology

"I bought it because it looks nice."

Oh, in that case:

What did you wear today?

0/10

I wear the 50 Atmos every single day, honestly not sure what I'm going to do with that GMT although the case is very comfortable and well-made

>he's too poor to own a solid gold fountain pen
>he thinks one costs 2k
>he thinks that has anything to do with horology
>he uses ETA
what an absolute turbopleb

>"Swiss made"

FYI a Chinese case, dial, hands and bracelet with an ETA slapped in it in Switzerland is "Swiss made" you irredeemable pleb.

I wouldn't pay $50 for that Invicta looking shitter.

so how much do you adjust your strap? do you let it slide a little or tighten it in place (without cutting blood circulation)?

Sounds like your watch just wanted to see other people

Hello Plaid.

How well does that keep time?

>making these claims about squale cases
Kys retard 0/10

I see your 556 and raise you a 556.

Very nice, I am assuming by ANN that means anniversary? I like that dial a lot

Yep, they came out with these last year to celebrate their 55th. This color is limited to 1000 pieces but they have a brown dial version that they're going to continue producing going forwards.

Hey OP, update the "Required Viewing For Newbies" with the HD version

youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>HD
But yeah, does look a little better.

>Being a hotpocket-apologist
How cucked can you get

>those fake rolex hands

fuck that

I think I'd like my first automatic this year. Are they kinda durable? I mean would they be fine to wear motorcycling and shooting? If I don't wear it for a week, do you just have to give it a few winds before wearing? I'm leaning towards a Seiko under $100.

Riding a motorcycle with an auto on your wrist can fuck it up

All the shock and vibration fucking up the movement? I supposed I can slip it into my pocket when necessary.