Will ever get a mainstream or enthusiast dual CPU board?

Will ever get a mainstream or enthusiast dual CPU board?

Other urls found in this thread:

intel.com/buy/us/en/audience/pc-enthusiast
spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/processors/transistor-aging
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

probably not anytime soon mostly due to software not being optimized and a lack of demand for it.

Fuck I can already see those becoming a thing in a few years.

Yeah.

When APU/SoC are enough to do 4K at 100FPS but you still have enthusiasts who want 8K or triple monitor but not enough demand for discrete GPUs anymore. So maybe in 10 years.

You could even have the culling batch up the draw calls for each section of the screen or monitor for each APU. That'd be pretty sweet.

no because consumer and enthusiast cpus dont have the necessary QPI link required for dual socket motherboards.

Sure, once we have graphene CPUs operating at 500-1000ghz. Strap a few of those to a mobo and you have enough processing power to simulate a small universe. Wouldn't even need a GPU, just dedicated one of those to sequential processing graphics and you'd still be pulling off 8K resolution at 240fps.

>enthusiast
What's that supposed to mean?
Are enthusiasts not allowed to buy dual socket boards that exist already?

They don't exist.
Those are server boards.
Enthusiast would be dual 5820Ks.

>Enthusiast
Definition, please.

Can't you be enthusiastic for a nice dual Xeon or Opteron or POWER board?

He didn't say enthusiast board, he said dual socket board, and those definitely exist. I've got a dual socket workstation and a dual socket server, both could be used as an enthusiast build.

Most users can barely max out single-socket boards, and if you're doing shit that actually needs two or more sockets then you're already probably beyond the point of cheaping out on consumer shit or getting a nice OEM workstation through your employer.

Dual-socket workstations certainly exist and will continue to. Why are you shitheads so retarded?
>Definition, please.
Cheaper consumer-grade hardware for people who want to look and feel like serious professionals but still haven't grown up enough to let go of gamer shit.

What does gamer shit have to do with it? You can toss a dual socket workstation board in your riced out gaymur case and use it with your Razer peripherals.

Provide a better definition, please.

I was quite enthusiastic about my Raspberry Pi when it came out. Does that make it "enthusiast" hardware?

I remember wanting to buy some MSI MPower mobo in the past

Why does it _NEED_ to be "enthusiast" hardware? You want a dual socket motherboard, dual socket motherboards exist. What the fuck is the issue?

Game engines generally aren't optimised for multi socket systems, and if you want a workstation, then buy a workstation motherboard.

The enthusiast CPUs available from Intel.
Not the adjective you mong.

intel.com/buy/us/en/audience/pc-enthusiast

What a time and age, when Intel redefined the meaning of the word "enthusiast hardware" to refer to a specific selection of their CPUs, and people actually accept that.

enthusiast hardware has always meant "people that jack off over their benchmark scores rather than play games"

>Will ever get a mainstream or enthusiast dual CPU board?

I've got an ATX dual socket Opteron board sitting in a box somewhere that I bought in 2003. So I'm pretty sure we got them a long-ass time ago.

but that's professional hardware
hardware is trinary,
professional, enthusiast or consumer
it is VERBOTEN to be in 2 or more categories

There were even dual socket Pentium boards, they stopped being a thing when multicore processors hit the market

Because that's the kind of demographic most "enthusiast" hardware is geared, styled and marketed towards. It's made for the kind of person like described who thinks "enthusiasm" and interest in technology is directly correlated with the big numbers you have and money you spend on it who calls everything not built with pure consumer-grade hardware a "server" and is for whatever reason afraid of leaving the consumer bubble.

What are you talking about? There are lots of multi-socket systems on the market today, pretty much every OEM that takes the professional market seriously has at least one offering in that range.

"Enthusiast" is just a term the marketing people made up to trick stupid people into spending more money on motherboards with "armor" and such shit on them

>What are you talking about?
dual socket boards for consumer grade processors. Yes there are still dual socket motherboards but they're for Opterons and Xeons, not FX processors and i series ones.

>His motherboard isn't literally bulletproof
Fucking casual scum.

How do you access the m.2 connectors?

>needing a bulletproof motherboard when you have a bulletproof case

Can Windows even handle dual socket boards?

Of course, pretty sure it can handle quad socket boards too.

>Can Windows even handle dual socket boards?

Windows XP could handle SMP. The OS isn't really concerned with whether the cores are on the same die, so long as it can talk to them.

Jesus fucking Christ it's a marketing term. Do you get bent the fuck out of shape over twin frozr coolers because "ermagerd it won't hit 0°c its not frozerned"

Do you get a fucking blood clot when a "cpu turbo mode" doesn't involve forced air injection into a combustion engine?

Please just die

There is absolutely no reason why anyone would need dual procs outside of a server or professional environment (MLG faggotry doesn't count). I don't care how much your gaymen cock drips at the thought of having such a setup.

>Absolutely no reason anyone would need
Nobody gives a fuck what you think other people need. You don't need to shitpost on Sup Forums, yet here you are.

Wrong. I do need to shitpost on Sup Forums. It is my drug.

>mainstream
Never
>enthusiast
Has always been a server/workstation thing

This year we will get mainstream 8 core 16 thread CPUs, that should be more than what 95% of users will need in the forseeable future.

>Jesus fucking Christ it's a marketing term.
meaning what exactly?
I've yet to see a good definition that's not sarcastically making fun of the term.

That's because there isn't a good definition. The closest you'll get is "HEDT" (High End Desktop) or "Prosumer" (an even shittier buzzword that means people who render video, play games and compile software)

They don't exist because consumer processors don't have the necessary hardware features to communicate with another processor. Even the old Intel D5400XS or the EVGA SR-2 you posted need Xeons because of that. No, you won't ever see those again. The EVGA SR-X flopped HARD because it came out after Intel clockblocked their CPUs by removing the ability to adjust the FSB, thus limiting overclocking to CPUs with an unlocked multiplier. It turns out enthusiasts don't want it if they can't play with it. Who would have guessed?

I know. Like I said, it stopped being a thing when multicore processors started being a thing.

Yes. Heck I think even Windows NT could do it.

Checked
Are games usually developed and rendered on multisocket systems? If so, why wouldn't those games take advantage of being played on multisocket systems? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

It stopped being a thing when you could only do it with Xeon CPU's with locked multipliers.

We're saying the same goddamned thing, just wording it differently.

>Heck I think even Windows NT could do it.

Yes. Anything from NT onward supports multiple processors.

Like fuck it did. The D5400XS could use quad cores in both sockets. The SR-2 was commonly spec'd with dual 6 cores.

No, you're just a retard who has no idea what he's talking about.

ALL Xeons have had locked multipliers. You could only ever do dual-socket with Xeons. It stopped when Intel did away with FSB based overclocking.

Oh yeah, in that case you're totally right. Nevermind.

Since NT 3.1 in '93, they'll do quad/octa-socket too if you really want.

The fuck are you even crying about? Did I hit a nerve or something?

Whatever you say faggot

Did everyone forget about Skulltrail?

We had it, not enough people bought it for Intel to keep caring about it, so they stopped developing that branch.

It was called Intel Skulltrail, the name's now used for NUCs but it was a dual 775 socket, consumer-targeted 'enthusiast' grade motherboard.

Shit, sorry, I mean 771 - which was similar but much less common.

Yeah, Intel did.

No, it was dual 771. 775 was consumer, 771 was professional. The EVGA board OP posted was called the second coming of the Skulltrail, and then Intel clockblocked the Xeons and everyone lost interest.

wat m2

I just googled "server board" and I gotta say, some of these just look like consumer-grade motherboards with two CPU slots on them, complete with the standard assortment of PCI slots. How would an "enthusiast dual CPU board" be any different?

Enthusiast in the name makes OP's tiny weewee grow

>How would an "enthusiast dual CPU board" be any different?
"Military-grade" armor plating
Named "Ann1hil4tor" or "Bonetrail"

>not posting superior Assassin.2
>not having a whole pistol on your mobo

It would be red and black and covered in RGB LEDs.
Really, if you want a dual socket "enthusiast" board, you shouldn't be looking at server boards. You should be looking at workstation boards. The Asus Z10PE-D8 WS is a good example. But again, clockblocked, so most enthusiasts aren't interested.

Overclocking degrades your CPU anyway,
so you'd have to replace it more often.

Even overclocked your CPU is practically guaranteed to outlast your motherboard unless you've fucked up somehow.

By a miniscule amount. Unless you're going full retard on the voltage, it's still going to be so outdated it's practically useless long before it's physically useless.

>He doesn't have a fucking minigun

The overclocked CPU gets slower faster.
Transistor aging.
spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/processors/transistor-aging

see:

I have a hard time believing shit like this makes any kind of noticeable impact. I've got shit going back 30 years that still returns the same bench results it would've new.

Would explain some benchmarks that score relative to a system returning ~99% when comparing to the same system though

>no reason why anyone would need dual procs
One example: for serious chess analysis, one wants as much speed, and as many cores, as you can get.

2x Intel Xeon E5-2687W v4

Oh so it is a piece of shit.

Why would you expect m.2 on a Z97 board in the first place? Z97 was out before m.2 was widely adopted.

whatever you say captain autismo

Is that you, Pajeet? Have you still not learned to use the English language properly? Did you see a psychologist about those problems you were having?

Thanks VCP.

When I'm overtired my grammar and punctuation deteriorates significantly. The second post was just because you were so autistic about the first, sperglord.

Can one buy a multi cpu system and overclock it?

Its possible but difficult with some socket G34 motherboards, and god help you if you dont have a PSU strong enough to feed it + cooling on the board/s mosfets. Seriously. Some quad-socket G34 systems can be overclocked with the right BIOS, but the power draw can and has broken 300W/socket.

The only other ones I know of that can be overclocked are some dual-socket F motherboards, the Skulltrail motherboard (dual LGA 771), and the EVGA SR-2 (dual LGA-1366, and VERY rare)

Those where a _thing_, they ain't anymore and probably never again in such a scale.

Lurk more kiddo.

Gaming dictates the mainstream/consumer market, so unless games make use of multi CPU setups you won't see this happen.