Signal app can now be used without Google Play Services

> Support for using Signal without Play Services

>This is now possible with beta calling, so non-GCM users are a part of beta calling by default.

github.com/WhisperSystems/Signal-Android/commit/1669731329bcc32c84e33035a67a2fc22444c24b

All that's left is support for using it without a phone number.

We almost there, Sup Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_Protocol
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_(software)
medium.com/wire-news/wires-independent-security-review-61f37a1762a8#.ehwy20h16
nybooks.com/daily/2014/05/10/we-kill-people-based-metadata/
abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/05/ex-nsa-chief-we-kill-people-based-on-metadata/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Neato. Now you can just download it through Raccoon or Yalp, right?

yeah

>still have to use phone number
>doesn't have OTR

Signal is better than using OTR, dumbass.

It's not open source so good luck.

It is open source you fag troll

It would be enhanced by using OTR you faggot.

;)

The Signal protocol is proven to be better than OTR and was based on OTR in the first place, you dumb nigger.

>The first version of the protocol, TextSecure v1, was based on Off-the-Record Messaging (OTR).[6][7]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_Protocol

why use some rushian shitgnal when i can just keep using xmpp with otr with my own xmpp server ?

Good now you only have to convince people to use your spergware

This is for people who don't know how to run or can't run their own XMPP server, you stupid neckbeard.

>Once the server removes this layer of encryption, each message contains the phone number of either the sender or the receiver in plaintext

Is OWS audited? Didn't think so.

>can't host own server
>server side software isn't open source

If they dont know how to run their own xmpp they can just use existing public servers, while still benefiting from OTR. I dont see any problem here.
So why on earth would you force some useless new protocol on yourself when you could just stick to xmpp?

>All that's left is support for using it without a phone number.
Wasn't it the entire point of the app to use your phone number?

Yeah but for people who don't want that, you can assign them an ID number and add people manually.

CIA kill people from metadata, they don't need to know the content of the calls

>Is OWS audited?

Yes

Server is going open source this year.

So you're still giving the app your phone number either way.

>If they dont know how to run their own xmpp they can just use existing public servers, while still benefiting from OTR.

You're arguing on my side now. These people can also use Signal, which is better than OTR in the first place. The point is that this gives people more access to encryption. Setting up OTR is harder than using Signal and OTR isn't even as good cryptographically as Signal is.

source on both claims. Signal is the only thing that has been audited. OWS has had nothing and who knows what they do with the information on their servers.

>So you're still giving the app your phone number either way.

No you're not. Instead of typing in your number, you'd get a random ID number and people would contact you using that instead of your real phone number.

So the app doesn't require your phone number anymore?

It relies on servers that haven't been audited or source code published.

>The software that handles Signal's message routing is called Signal-Server and it is also open source.[9]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_(software)

Uh, Wire?

>So the app doesn't require your phone number anymore?

Read the OP, dumbass. It still needs a phone number. They just enabled support for people without Google Play Services.

We are just discussing what may happen in the future because many people are asking Signal to let them use it without a phone number and that is currently the #1 feature request and he was explaining how it would theoretically work.

>Uh, Wire?

Hasn't been audited. Server isn't open source.

>In November 2016, a web developer questioned why Open Whisper Systems had not open sourced the server-side component of Signal's voice calling feature.Open Whisper Systems has tweeted that there are "plenty of [open-source software] options to choose from."Open Whisper Systems does not officially provide support for people to host their own servers

Why are you lying?
medium.com/wire-news/wires-independent-security-review-61f37a1762a8#.ehwy20h16

>Signal, which is better than OTR in the first place
>proprietary server hosted by a shady company
please
also, >setting up otr
>hard

So this is just your retarded theory that somehow signal would be willing to adopt the tox model. Don't post on this board until you learned how tenses in english works, pajeet.

>server-side component of Signal's voice calling feature.

read, dummy

if only people used that shit

>literally perfect
>nobody uses it
Fuck this planet.

nybooks.com/daily/2014/05/10/we-kill-people-based-metadata/

abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/05/ex-nsa-chief-we-kill-people-based-on-metadata/

>So this is just your retarded theory that somehow signal would be willing to adopt the tox model.

Why wouldn't they? Many people are demanding it, and it wouldn't be difficult to assign users a random ID that can talk to phone numbers as well as other random IDs. It would serve noobs and people who want to remain anonymous. Instead of giving somebody your phone number, you give them your Signal ID.

Enjoy your Facebook datamining. There's less of a chance of somebody getting an XMPP id and setting up OTR than installing the Signal app.

I stand corrected. Guess that was recent. Server still isn't open source though.

Wire's dogshit. I once got my mom to install it and 75% of the calls either goes mute after a couple seconds or won't go through at all. Oh yeah and it takes half a minute after you dialed to even ring on the other end.

If the CIA wants to kill you, you are already fucked no matter what you use.

It's end-to-end encrypted and audited, so who cares?

>It's end-to-end encrypted and audited, so who cares?

Tell that to the people who criticize Signal for not having a fully open source server when the clients are end-to-end encrypted and audited.

>Server still isn't open source though
i may be wrong but, metadata?

using signal doesn't make your penis bigger than mine

Wouldn't the point of using it be so the CIA doesn't know you're worth killing you fucking moron?

>got my mom to install it

Women are pretty dumb so she probably messed up your calls.

I do.

correct, as well as what ever other collection they do intentionally or not. If they collect it you can assume they're eventually going to have to share it with our buds at the NSA

You said metadata is all that is needed, you stupid nigger. Not the content of the calls/messages.

Not if there is no metadata, which you can avoid by having your own server or having open source server side software and audits. Try keep up kike

Nice try shill. I was sitting right next to her as I made the call.

Werks for me.™

>Not if there is no metadata, which you can avoid by having your own server or having open source server side software and audits.

Again, that is for people who are extremely high-risk. Signal is for anybody from normies to basementfags on Sup Forums worried about their privacy.

Signal needs your phone number for signing up, so it deserves criticism.

It's not Free Software though.

You're not supposed to call people who are sitting next to you, retard. The echo cancellation might disrupt the call. Go down to your basement and talk to your mommy from there.

>Signal needs your phone number for signing up, so it deserves criticism.

Many people are demanding support for using it without a phone number so it may happen soon enough

Signal is FOSS.

You either have 100% privacy and security or you don't. It's that simple. Signal in its current state is a placebo, it makes you feel good but you don't know for sure it's safe. It's understandable why a pedestrian like you would find it attractive to use.

Signal or Telegram? Which one Sup Forums certified?

neither, read thread

Doesn't Telegram have access to cleartext on their servers?

Telegram is the last thing you should use

>You either have 100% privacy and security or you don't.
In other words, none of Sup Forums is even remotely private.

Conversations.im + self hosted is the only Sup Forums approved messenger

use Whatsapp if you have friends, don't listen those pedophiles

speak for yourself pleb

>not free

>he typed, as he filled out google's captcha

As in it cost you money to run your own xmpp server? Conversations is FOSS

free on fdroid, read more than the first sentence next time

are you retarded

What are you saying you dumb nigger? Willingly giving information isn't the same as a third party collecting information without you knowing. You can easily post on Sup Forums anonymously and securely.

So you're completely private with google collecting your information, as long as you are aware they doing it?

Did you get dropped as a baby?

>Raccoon or Yalp
Thx user, didn't know that this existed.

What makes you think i'm using anything more than googles captcha service? Where the fuck do you get off assuming how i privately browser the internet? For all you know i'm ssh tunneling to a vps in Switzerland

lmao what the fuck are you on about?

>What makes you think i'm using anything more than googles captcha service?
Where did I state or imply that?

>Where the fuck do you get off assuming how i privately browser the internet?
When the fuck did I assume anything about how you browse the web?

>For all you know i'm ssh tunneling to a vps in Switzerland
And thanks for making it apparent you're not. Note the fact that the only one who ever said anything regarding that crap above was you.

We could make it better rather than learned helplessness

>Where did I state or imply that?
>So you're completely private with google collecting your information, as long as you are aware they doing it?

>When the fuck did I assume anything about how you browse the web?
>So you're completely private with google collecting your information

>And thanks for making it apparent you're not. Note the fact that the only one who ever said anything regarding that crap above was you.
Yes because i obviously have demonstrated no interest in privacy, and from that you extrapolated that i'm not doing anything i just exampled. Bravo my moronic friend, you're truly adapt at deductive reasoning.

>> guys there's no privacy on the internet lets turn off https to stop people believe in the placebo.

You've got to be trolling at this point.

>>What makes you think i'm using ANYTHING MORE THAN googles captcha service?
That's what you said. Now compare that with my post. I didn't say anything beyond the fact that you are filling out captchas.

>>So you're completely private with google collecting your information
You have a funny idea of the meaning of the phrase "browsing the web".

>Yes because i obviously have demonstrated no interest in privacy
>I was just pretending to be retarded!

Who are you quoting?

>self hosted

As if Sup Forums will set up a server to talk to himself much less find anybody to make an XMPP id.

Just like how you can get the information about a JPG file under properties, the same can be done with phone calls. Just because it's live audio doesn't mean they can't store it as MP3 files. MP3 uses id3v2 information to store metadata and these companies save all the exif in a database

Watsapp is quite controversial now. It has been compromised. Not to mention the venture with Failbook, it literally giving away our info to Fuckerberg.

This statement implies that you believe google and google's captcha service to breach privacy

>So you're completely private with google collecting your information
This implies i'm using more of googles services, like the search engine, gmail, youtube, chrome, etc. Obviously all these services spy on you, and I do not partake in any of them, except for captcha which can be used if you're browsing through a VPN, for example.

>>Yes because i obviously have demonstrated no interest in privacy
This is sarcasm, it's blatantly obvious that I value privacy highly
>I was just pretending to be retarded!
In no way shape or form is that indicative of me pretending to be retarded. At best i'm at fault for assuming you would have basic literacy education and be able to follow my posts.

>This statement implies that you believe google and google's captcha service to breach privacy
Yeah no shit? How do you think recaptchas work?

isn't talking about convience. Its technically one of the best options for your real identity, but one could use tor to remove ip metadata to a public server

Holy fuck go back and read everything again.

Why? Are you really retarded enough to believe google recaptchas are entirely harmless in the privacy aspect?

>hurr durr it's not consequential becuz I don't send traffic to google any other way!
Not relevant, dumbshit. Your original argument was that you're either complete private or completely exposed.

No cunt, i'm not saying that. I'm fucking saying that there are many methods out there to avoid collection and employ obfuscation on collection.

Why would I be so stupid to harp on about Signals negatives and then completely give all my information to the botnet. I obviously value privacy and security and I obviously take measures to ensure i'm as private and secure as i can be.

>as private and secure as i can be.
HOLY FUCK LMAO that's entirely the opposite of what you said in the beginning So now you've finally admitted that rather than being all or nothing, there is a spectrum in regards to privacy. Good going, dumbshit!

Must be a neet. Everyone else just wants to chat about what they have been recently doing. Signal provides an solution for the average Joe to have a conversation they otherwise would have in SMS or WhatsApp.

If you're not taking measures to be 100% private and secure then you're vulnerable, therefore you're not private or secure. To the best of my knowledge i'm private and secure.

Does that make you happy?

>Are you really retarded enough to believe google recaptchas are entirely harmless in the privacy aspect?

most people here are

you both are retarded