The era of ultra-portability is here

The era of ultra-portability is here

>Finally, we've got a shot of the DeX dock, which will let your Galaxy S8 push a desktop-like operating environment to a connected external display.

androidpolice.com/2017/02/21/alleged-tab-s3-system-dump-and-photos-confirm-major-galaxy-s8-features-including-on-screen-buttons/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ONI0zfEnBPU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This was considered a gimmick years ago when it first came out

It never was a gimmick, but for it to work it needs a to be offered by the industry giants and everyone so far has failed. I presume Apple and Google will follow soon

>ARM
Already DOA.

Just because an industry giant does it doesn't mean it isn't a gimmick.

>ultra-portability
good luck bringing a 24" monitor with you all the time

Hope this will come to stock android soon.

When companies first tried this years ago phones had much weaker hardware than they do now. In recent years however, computer hardware has been advancing faster than software for regular users can take advantage of it, even when considering software bloat. Have you not noticed how more and more people are using mini ITX builds because most people (even gamers) no longer need the capabilities or expandability of an ATX build? It would't surprise me if smartphone docks like this take off among casual users who aren't gamers in the next few years.

I thought about this when I was literally 14 and the internet wasn't yet beyond basic newsgroups.

You are missing the point you idiot. You can edit spreadsheets and shit on your phone, when you get home or at the office you plug it on your tv and monitor and TADAAAA all of your files are there to work.

Cloud meme is over

>Have you not noticed how more and more people are using mini ITX builds because most people (even gamers) no longer need the capabilities or expandability of an ATX build?

Sorry can you explain it in non-virgin terms? I dont understand

Phones will always have much weaker hardware than even an ITX desktop, because its no big deal for the desktop to draw and dissipate 100 watts of power. No phone will ever have a power budget bigger than a few watts. Even while plugged in, since it can only dissipate so much heat. Thats a fundamental limitation of the form factor.

>Phones will always have much weaker hardware than even an ITX desktop
...yes, and an ITX desktop has been and will always be less capable than an ATX desktop, but that hasn't stopped a large number of people (including gamers) from switching over to ITX desktops because ITX desktops are now capable of doing everything those people need to do.

There's a big difference bewteen ATX/ITX and ITX/phone.

ITX can pretty comfortably handle a mainstream 95W CPU and a 100-200W video card. That's about the limit of what it can handle, if you're aiming to overclock your CPU and run 200 watts through it, you'll have a tough time of it confined inside an ITX case. But most people aren't overclocking that far. The limits of what ITX can handle are about the limits of what most people want to do with a desktop computer. And ATX is there for the multi-video-card, X99, eight disk drives people that need something that has enough space and airflow to move 600 watts out the door.

Stepping down from ITX to a phone is a different matter. Now your power budget for the whole system is something on the order of five watts. That most certainly will put a very hard lid on how fast the thing can be. I know some Excel jockeys who complain that their spreadsheets are slow even given mainstream desktop CPUs, those will absolutely crawl on a phone. Have you seen how sluggish phones are even at web browsing, if you don't root them and put in ad and script blockers? Okay, sure, you could put additional computing power in the docking station, but once you've made the thing large enough to be a big jump in power, you've essentially just built a small desktop. Why use the phone at all, then? Just make some "plug in to sync files" cradle like the old Palms had.

And on a philosophical note I continue to be dismayed and dumbfounded at you ITX and phone people who are continually advocating for computers to become less powerful, apparently just so they can be stuffed into a slightly thinner box. I very much hope your view never comes to control the whole industry.

>I continue to be dismayed and dumbfounded at you ITX and phone people who are continually advocating for computers to become less powerful, apparently just so they can be stuffed into a slightly thinner box

What's wrong? Do you hate the environment? Do you love seeing more energy and minerals be consumed so you can have 10 chaturbate cam pages open and have our world go to shit?

Well if you want to make the world not shit, a good start would be getting rid of phones, not desktops.

But in any case, yes, I object to being offered reduced functionality because everything converges on a lowest-common-denominator consumer product. Instead of, you know, a general-purpose machine. If you want to save the environment you might also think about how phones get tossed when their lithium batteries get clapped out in two years, while a desktop lasts better and is user-repairable.

>And on a philosophical note I continue to be dismayed and dumbfounded at you ITX and phone people who are continually advocating for computers to become less powerful
I don't advocate that and I don't even use a smartphone. I'm simply stating the trends that I have observed and where I believe they will go. High end phone processors have overtaken the processor in my desktop that I still have no problem using every day (an old Phenom x4 9550 that came out in 2008). There's no reason for me to believe that this dock feature won't be enough for all the people out there that use their computer as Facebook machines, for reading the news, or for basic office use, and as processors advance further will be suitable for even more people.

>ITX can pretty comfortably handle a mainstream 95W CPU
Just because they can doesn't mean everyone uses that powerful of a CPU. Casual users who aren't interested in gaming (the target of the smartphone docking feature in the OP) will use much less.

>android
>good desktop experience

youtube.com/watch?v=ONI0zfEnBPU

Wait until Apple does it, then it will become mainstream.

>iPhone 8
>shipping with desktop convergence
>hook up your iPhone to a dock connected to your monitor
>run OS X from your iPhone

Took too fucking long for such an obvious use.

It'll be cool if the hardware gets there cheap enough

Only compatible with Apple 5k Monitor.

can't play real games
DOA

Normies use videogame consoles for that.

You can't play lol on a console.