Is it worth taking a college class on programming or is it better to learn it on your own with a software program...

Is it worth taking a college class on programming or is it better to learn it on your own with a software program? This is a screen shot of class I would be taking.

Other urls found in this thread:

webapp4.asu.edu/bookstore/viewsyllabus/2151/16218
ocw.mit.edu/courses/urban-studies-and-planning/11-005-introduction-to-international-development-spring-2015/assignments/extra-credit/
oyc.yale.edu/sites/default/files/problemset7_3.pdf
math.caltech.edu/~2015-16/1term/ma005a/extra.pdf
openclassroom.stanford.edu/MainFolder/courses/Compilers/docs/handouts/extra-credit.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>social and ethical responsibility

dropped

Jump off the normie train while you still can, user.

That looks terrible. Even codecademy would be better

I'm more concerned with the lack of prerequisites.

They're going to assume you're a complete retard and have never touched a language before, it's going to go very slowly and I sincerely doubt they will be teaching any sort of data structures the first semester at this rate.

this, so much.

Maybe tell us how much previous experience you have. It would probably be easier to learn C++ as part of a course rather than on their own for someone who has never touched a programming language in their life, but it may backfire and you may end up failing the class if you take it. And of course there is the whole "social responsibility" part, it's a programming course, not a philosophy one, so they can fuck right off with that bullshit.

>C++
Don't do it OP

If you want to learn to program you might as well get college credit for it. I've been taking a few classes to learn Java and python and i feel like I've been getting my money's worth but I go to community college so it's very cheap

found it
webapp4.asu.edu/bookstore/viewsyllabus/2151/16218

It's a 100-level course, pretty much every 100-level course has no prereqs. The whole point is that it's entry-level, no-prior-experience stuff that anyone with the barest passing interest can get into.

You take shit like that so you can move up to more advanced classes.

In all honestly, the academic system as it is cannot hold. They're cranking out shit-tier graduates who know nothing and parrot ultra-delusional progressive social justice jargon.

Employers are increasingly turning to foreign workers and self-taught or informally taught because of this. I've hired 30 or so developers this year, 4 of those had traditional BSCS degrees, 10 had unrelated degrees, another 10 had no college degree, and the last 6 were visa holders.

Like I said, this trend is only going to continue. The media can talk all it wants about the importance of social justice and equality in education, but if the public ed system isn't producing people who can do the job, we won't hire them. Meanwhile anyone with an internet connection can get an MIT-quality computer science education on their own and demonstrate their discipline and aptitude with free tools like git, heroku, etc.

tl;dr: Don't follow the lemming herd. I graduated from UCBerkley in the early 90s and it was shit then. I can't imagine what the average shit uni. is doing these days. Just get the proper books and online material together, draw up your own curriculum, and don't forget to PUBLISH your work as you go alone. You'll be just fine. Good luck.

>self-taught
>informally taught

lol no
they still want you to get your degree
and they'll still let you go as soon as some spreadsheet says you're marginally more expensive than pajeet.

it's only going to get worse as jobs get harder to find due to every class of work being made obsolete and the entry level requirements being bumped up more and more to keep people away.
Why do you think every programming job asks for BSc in computer science, minimum?
It's only going to get worse from here on out.

Any introductory programming course that doesn't use The C Programming Language 2nd Edition as its text is horseshit and should be avoided.

Does such a class even exist today?
Even MIT stopped offering that throwback SICP class.

Professor looks retarded

>delusional

pffff
what the fuck

This is the biggest ripoff ever.
Why doesn't pearson just buy the goddamn school and teach you themselves?
They already cornered the textbook market and you need to go through them to do homework anyway.

What, is this common?
As a German, I've never heard of anything like that and it sounds absurd.

Yes, it's almost universal for low-level classes here now in the USA

Sounds pretty retarded.
This here as well.

Yes, some classes using pearson textbooks require you to buy a one-time use redemption code so you can access the online portion, and they made this part mandatory by conducting all the tests and homework through My(subject)Lab.

They basically killed used book sales on pearson books, since you still need the code, and they even give you a digital copy of the book so no need to buy the physical book at all, new or used.

serious question, why do pay the school money if a 3rd party company is actually grading your schoolwork?

Serious answer: the Jews.

For the lectures I guess. Sounds retarded though.
All I needed for my intro to programming class in C were the lectures. They offered an optional book for like $3 that had about 100 A4 pages. If I was forced to pay $100 for the same shit I'd be pretty pissed.

Also, more of OPs class. Unprofessional as fuck, he sounds like he's making fun of his students, while at the same time praising muh ethics and social behaviour.

Ive never programmed in my life. I want to learn how because Steve Jobs said that learning to program teaches you how to think.

>learn it on your own with a software program
what

Also, you go to schools for diplomas. Knowledge can be acquired from books, but your future employer will pick the guy with actual credentials over the guy who claims he can do something (whether it's true or not).

Inspiring stuff

Why not? I heard C++ was the most important language.

C++ is a horrible nightmare.

My college is a university. I am an english major who is a writer but I would love to sharpen my tech skills. I also have a mac and I heard that is better for programing than windows because you dont have to worry about the OS crashing when you are writing code.

This triggers my autisms

It's an intro to CS class. It's not really meant to be a programming class. You're not going to be learning C++ in that class. It looks like the closest you'll get to classes is using cout and cin. You'll be told how computers can make decisions and then given a concrete example using if/else if/else statements. Computers can do iterations here's a loop. Subroutines heres a function example. Fundamental algorithms here's linear search and bubble sort. Ethics because accreditation says we have to stick it somewhere.

Take this class if it is a prerequisite of something you want to take.

>lol no
>they still want you to get your degree

Keep telling yourself that kid. You're wasting thousands of dollars.

>Why do you think every programming job asks for BSc in computer science, minimum?

They don't. We, along with every other company in our region/industry ask for "degree or equivalent experience," and, as I mentioned, we hire the most likely to perform. Usually that means motivated individuals with a track record of published work. Most degree holders these days are entitled cunts who get upset at the first interview and ask why we don't have a trans bathroom.

>It's only going to get worse from here on out.
For you.

You probably won't learn anything that you couldn't learn just by taking a shitty online course for a few hours

It's pretty good apart from the pointer garbage

murrican """education"""

What the literal fuck?

I've tutored this class over at Centerpoint, OP (it's near the AMC). Kevin Burger is supposed to be a good teacher. Ama.

I should also ask, is this an elective for you? Do you go to ASU or are you just taking this class just because? You really can learn this stuff just by reading books and watching YouTube videos yknow.

Stay away from this school. No university that takes itself seriously allows extra credit. You either know what you're doing or you fail. A structure like this promotes cheating and rushing through assignments which will hurt the learner overall. Only an idiot would go to a school with a scale like this.

ocw.mit.edu/courses/urban-studies-and-planning/11-005-introduction-to-international-development-spring-2015/assignments/extra-credit/

MIT. Shut your mouth forever.

MIT is a meme school now.

oyc.yale.edu/sites/default/files/problemset7_3.pdf

Here's one from Yale.

Caltech: math.caltech.edu/~2015-16/1term/ma005a/extra.pdf

Stanford: openclassroom.stanford.edu/MainFolder/courses/Compilers/docs/handouts/extra-credit.pdf

>all of these big name meme schools
>you learn something at a big name meme school
Thats okay, be mad.

None of those schools are legitimate places of learning, they're basically rich people day care and you only go to make connections and party.

>Is it worth taking a college class on programming or is it better to learn it on your own with a software program? This is a screen shot of class I would be taking.
You go to school to meet other programmers you dumb fuck

You go to school to get some paper from an accredited institution. Do that and also learn on your own simultaneously... This isn't an either/or question.

C++ school != C++ real world

Course is very nice, not C++11 or modern, no debugging, static analysis, model memory(buuut pointers), design templates,OO.

Trivial code class, every important thing is removed to make you feel good.

That does not sound like a useful class to take. Take whatever your school's intro programming class is. These days it's probably some Java class, but C++ or Python classes might also be available.

codecademy doesn't do C++. If you want to learn comp science C and C++ are great as they introduce you to pointers and oop.

Structure, routine, and assignment deadlines to keep you on track
vs.
are you motivated enough to keep with self-education?

you're wrong. Obviously the education you received didn't teach you about thinking in a logical manner. No one cares about your damage control with irrational goalpost shifting. Produce some evidence to support your claim that isn't anecdotal.

Options:
a) CS degree
b) Code bootcamp
c) learn on my own using resources from a + b

Which is the best?

and would you even know what you need to self teach yourself about.

Presumably a non-classroom course would have some comparable lesson plan, It's more a matter of will OP keep up with the lessons, or decide to "do it later."

A single course is quite different from the full curriculum of a 4 year uni and guidance from counselors to select the right courses for your goal/major. An online cs mooc course wont teach you about linear algebra or differential equations.

cd 6t5tu

>An online cs mooc course wont teach you about linear algebra or differential equations.
Sure, but you don't need those for 90+% software development positions in the real world.

Even then if you do "need" that linear algebra or differential equations you can teach that to yourself too.

yeah, it's difficult to gauge what you need to know when you don't know. You can be building horrible garbage code but think it's good to the best of your knowledge. Maybe with enough experience and help from colleagues you may eventually figure it out.

I was never a fan of teachers that wouldn't accept homework late. At least give them a week

My math and compsci professors had me teaching class at my uni, but they ended up failing me with a fucking D because I openly refused to pay Pearson anything. I even taught the other students how to learn more without that bullshit but nobody wanted to learn, just pass. Fucking bullshit, glad I left that cuck shit behind and I didn't pay them a fucking dime.

I fucking hate this. If I have to single handedly change this, I will, because fuck everything about this.

You are subtly insulting self-learners. So you think "learning" from some fucking professor who is a professor because they are a failure in the private sector is any better? If these professors were as good as they and their students like to think then they would be makin a lot of money in the private sector, but they are some bureaucrat at a university/college instead.

Dubs of truth.

Learn algorithms and data structures, yeah. But don't take a course that is going to cram in a bunch of bullshit that's only going to waste time that's better spent on learning about programming

society has always rewarded the people who can bullshit their way to the top

if you can't function socially, you're defective

Try B if you have time to see if it's for you. If you have money but no time, do A.

>I also have a mac and I heard that is better for programing than windows because you dont have to worry about the OS crashing when you are writing code.

I'm not sure where you heard this, but that is not a real reason. Whoever said that was probably trying to justify Mac vs Windows, but didn't actually know what they were talking about.

The OS isn't (in 99% of cases) more likely to crash when writing code than when doing most other tasks. The frequency of crashes for either OS isn't going to impact your productivity.

On the other hand, there are reasons for preferring Mac over Windows for programming, such as lower level shell access. But mostly it comes down to preference.

>with a software program
what the hell is a software program

As opposed to a hardware program.

What do they actually teach in these parts?

thx, that really cleared that up

>Pearson

Steer clear away from this.Pearson (or McGraw Hill) in anything education related is a pretty big red flag.

Programming courses should be project orientated, where you have to spend significant time getting something to work, and there isn't always one concrete solution to solving a problem

Pretty much this.

Then be prepared for the follow-up course that weeds out the retards, 90% of the female class population, and 60% of the pajeets.

"Don't use pronouns in your comments unless its Xer, Xim, Xis, also remember as a white male you can't criticize literally anything because of your privilege."

"american" "education"

Looks like trash, and not just because of "social and ethical responsibility".

Fact of the matter is, you can learn to script & hack together some shit on your own, but learning to program well is a multi-year effort of your own or at university, and it'll maybe be a decade of reading & programming until you're really "quite good".

The world of most programmers also is one giant moving target, some of your knowledge becomes irrelevant every year (quite many hours, DESU).

So, uh, learn on your own and do it srs at an actual university or as an almost everyday hobby, or stick with hacking some command line and autoit or whatever for your own needs.

this worked for me

search community collages for articulation agreements with universities. Basically this says that if you take collage program x university y will recognize it as half a bachelor for perhaps 10 years. Even if you have no interest in the uni side it keeps the quality up and the non-CS people drop real quick.

Also assuming US community collage is by far the biggest bang for your buck if you're not an idiot and you don't want a mountain of debt.

ASU! ASU! ASU!

Also, no that class isn't very good and doesn't teach you how to program. It teaches you how to Google and write awful trash.

Then don't learn fucking C++.

Steve Jobs couldn't program for shit.

He specialized in bitching at his people, exploiting China, and marketing.

>all that mad

>C++ is shit
git gud you fucking retards

take the class OP

I consider these documented facts. Steve jobs abrasive personality at work is quite well documented, so is the bit with China.

Steve Jobs couldn't program for shit, he was just the angry faggot boss marketer. Good at selling to suckers, good at exploiting suckers.

test

I'd say he knew a few things. Not Woz level wizardry, but more than a marketer alone.