Do you consider Latin America as part of the West?

Do you consider Latin America as part of the West?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B0L36ff3lcc
youtube.com/watch?v=_25VuXsthGU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Do you consider V4?

West = civilizations that follow the ideas of the enlightement

No and that's good.

>Cuba

I just consider them South. Halfway between East and West.

It is except for the Indian-dominated areas like Bolivia.

no, it's more than that. The strenght of Latin America is being somewhat westernized but also have a strong culture on its own, and a great cultural diversity.

no

No, because they're not white, capitalist, highly developed or allied with the USA

I think of it as the undeveloped West really. Outside of some native influences there's really not too much to distinguish them from the actual West culturally, given the whole Iberian heritage and everything. Hell, the Cono Sur nations were pretty widely regarded as fully Western nations until about the 1950's.

I think if you guys get your act together you'll be considered fully Western, kind of like how a lot of former Communist countries in Europe are starting to be seen as Western.

>A lot
You mean Czechia and Poland, and they're both still largely seen as Eastern

>uruguay that low
I'm not buying it.

Uruguay is always on the limit between high and very high.
Did you really believe the meme about Uruguay being a magical country?

Also the Baltic nations, Hungary, and to some degree Slovenia and Croatia. It seems like more of a development thing in Europe nowadays.

Yeah I don't know what the UN considers "developed", but...

>Do you consider Latin America
No.

>or allied with the USA

Do you know just how far Uncle Sam's meat is jammed down Colombia's throat?

And who's fault would that be.

As a rule of thumb, liberal democracies do not go to war against each other. Argentina went to war against Britain. On a widespread ideological level, South America does not see itself alligned with the West. Many of its governments partner with the USA, but that is a rational decision, not ideological.

What I'm trying to say is that the "West" is racial, cultural, religious, economic, political and historical. South America is not Western in many of those fields.

It doesn't matter either way. South America does not need to be "Western". It is its own sphere.

Well historically, there has always been an embrace of Western thought and a desire to look "Western" but to call Latin America "Western" is debatable. I think it would be disingenuous to call Latin America Western because the region has such a unique history and diverse range of people.

No, that will keep the saracens out of here.

Tbf we never trusted any of sides of cold war, which is why we had a nuclear program. Even in the actual days after the left govt, we never actually trusted US or China.

Exactly. You guys simply do not fit in the "Eastern/Western" dichotomy.

anti-comunist butthurt

kek

Nah, we are the US mascot, just like Canada. Nothing capitalist wise happens in our countries, and our borders keep us divided enough in order to never make enough economical pressure on our own.
We are on the thin line between being cucked enough in order to suck uncle Sam's dick while at the same time no being cuck enough to make a circle jerk session between each other.
Also no such thing as "West culture" exists, is just a dumb metaphor we make in order to feel morally elevated, everyone with two grams of brain knows that.

> there's really not too much to distinguish them from the actual West culturally

yes there is, for one, we have 100 different indigenous ethnicities, and 60 indigenous languages.

"We" i mean Brazil. During our military govt we used to fight a lot the commies, but at the same time having an eye in the US just in case CIA tried something. Nowadays it's the same thing, at least in the military.

no

>. I think it would be disingenuous to call Latin America Western because the region has such a unique history and diverse range of people.
this.

I know, and you guys are the regional hegemon.

So, you gonna be sitting in Tim Hortons in 5 years complaining about your useless International Studies major or what.

>regional hegemon
>Brazilian army has about 20 bullets and 1960s equipment

I'm an economics and business student
Why are Americans so hostile towards knowledge?

Yep. Which is also why we try to not get involved in many geopolitical problems in the world and (tried) develop our own military industry.

>As well as by far the largest GDP, population, landmass and force projection

I consider the place more like the West's retarded fetal alcohol syndrome cousin. Or is that Eastern Europe...

it's like a really old, moldy backup hard drive of the west. if the west falls to something, latin america will be the save file

That is no worse than US trailer parks. I would know.

By South American standards, "force projection" means "We have 20 bullets and our neighbor has 10."

GDP down there mostly means "We can afford to paint our favelas pretty colors so tourists and the UN won't be offended."

Only parts of Brazil

The thing is, the entire country of Cuba looks like that except Castro's palace.

No.

Depends. Is South Africa a Western country? It is and then it isn't.

Mexico, Colombia, Brazil, and the Southern Cone can be considered Western. The rest is just impoverished Indian shit.

this, if being a developed western country means living with jamal and muhammad then I'd rather stay third world

Sounds a lot like how the average American neighborhood

To most Americans Latin America is Puerto Rico and Mexico. South America doesn't even come into the mind of an American unless one of the following topics is breached.
>Coffee beans
>Cocaine
>Soccer
and the occasional reminder that communism still exists in the most pathetic way possible. That's it.

Eh, half.

I don't consider Latin America enemies of the West, like Africa and Asia.

>racial
check
>cultural
check
>religious
double check
>economic
check
>political
check
>historical
check

???

Western =/= in NATO

Of course not.

What do you guys think of this? If you see anything really off go ahead and change it, but I think this sums things up fairly well, if not extremely simplified.

You already made this same post with a US proxy.

>communism still exists

The fact that you believe this is worrying. Especially given the fact you couped a bunch of governments when we were a little too left wing for you

What is your definition of western?
Because it is not countries allied with america.

>japan
>south korea
>taiwan
>turkey

i shiggy diggy

It would be better to define what is "the west" and only once that's done decide what countries fit that definition.

>The fact that you believe this is worrying. Especially given the fact you couped a bunch of governments when we were a little too left wing for you
Dont worry Trump will fix you.

The man that insisted on not going interventionist, fucking globalization, and ignoring everything outside America will eliminate an imaginary gommie government in SA?

>removing Soviet/Cuban puppet regimes
I really feel absolutely terrible about that, y'know?

>The man that insisted on not going interventionist, fucking globalization, and ignoring everything outside America will eliminate an imaginary gommie government in SA?
The very same. Nothing he says matters anyways. He'll just do what he needs to do.

>Racial
Not at all
>Cultural
Sort of
>Religious
Your strongest argument
>economic
Neither developed nor liberal, so absolutely not
>Political
No
>Historical
No

This is some kremlin-bot tier propaganda you believe brah

I bet you also believe that there were WMD's in Iraq.

Well, the Netherlands sold them stuff like mustard gas.

Nah they're all shitholes, maybe Chile but they are still not quite there.

Countries that both simultaneously espouse the kind of thought born out of ancient Greece as well as the Enlightenment, personally.

Japan, SK, and Taiwan are pretty Westernized, but definitely not Western, and while I personally sure as hell don't consider Turkey to be Western they are definitely thought of as being Western by some.

And other chemical weapons. So it would be logical for them to have them. :^)

mamerto pls stop boasting on having some rare useless hamsters with you

Turkey's only claim to Western-hood is its NATO membership. It is not Western at all.

>He doesn't know
There were WMDs in Iraq. We sold them to Saddam in the 80s. Operation Iraqi Freedom was a cleanup op. Of course no WMDs were found because we never sold them WMDs and there were never any WMDs.

>Racial
>Not at all
Most of LatAm are Southern Europeans, European/Indian mutts, and pure-blooded Indians so at least some argument can be made there.

>>Not at all
>very few people don't have white blood
>most people are "white" (southern european white)

>>sort of
what makes us eastern?
we consume american culture. our entire literature is derived from european literature. even carnaval is western (christian tradition). our carnaval parades are derived from military marches and fascism (an european ideology).

>>Neither developed nor liberal, so absolutely not
what makes western developed?
is japan western? south korea?

>>No
Nice argument there, fagtron.
Our entire political system is a mix of american and republican france's systems.
do you know what you are talking about?

>>No
sure, kauã, the warrior, declared our independence.
and the amazonian tribes shaped our politics.
notice the sarcasm here?

At the end of the day it really is a yes/no thing. Argentina and Uruguay are something like 70-80% Spanish/Italian, while the rest of the continent is mutts. By and large, South America is not white. Having traces of European blood doesn't really mean anything.

Japan is the most Westernized of those countries and Taiwan the least.

No. Latin America being Western is laughable as Pakistan being Western. Also Portugal and Spain lost their Western membership centuries ago.

Then again, only 40% of Europe (the blue countries) is white anyway so w/e.

Culturally Latin America is western:

-Language
-Religion
-Institutions

The problem is that those institutions, while on paper the same as the West, failed, which created corruption, instability, etc.

The best way to see it is as a corrupted or impoverished sub-type of the West.

At least, you guys are more western than us.

According to the Dutch government Japanese migrants are western foreigners.
But Chinese and Koreans aren't western foreigners.

Brazil is not a white country, but in the south, an area larger than Germany, Poland or France, with tens of millions of people have almost 90% of the white population of the country. Where I live came many Slavs, Russians and Germans.

A protest in my region, people are public school students: youtube.com/watch?v=B0L36ff3lcc

A public school: youtube.com/watch?v=_25VuXsthGU

Why the fuck is that happen? coz we entered into the treaty in19th?

I don't believe that the countries that had a heavy influencem of the natives in their culture or were big into African slavery are western.

I think because Japanese migrants behave better.

They still look like foreigners to me.

>Culturally Latin America is western
Yes Latin America is culturally western as Haiti.

yes
specifically, it's part of west africa

illiterate detected. fuck off, go to a university then we can talk.

chile is literally commiefornia without whites or blacks, just mexicans

I cee wat u did thar.

No, it's part of the South

Core Western countries are obv. the Anglosphere and Western Europe. Areas like LatAm and South Africa are partially Western but have a lot of native influence in their culture.

Eastern Europe is part of Western culture, but suffered decades of commie rape that has retarded their development.

Russia is half Western/half Asian.

Japan is not a Western country but has been the most strongly influenced by it of all Asian nations.

The rest of the world is irrelevant yellow/brown shit people and non-Western.

>france

fair enough

wtf man , wtf

It's not part of it.

Stop asking the same dumb question already

Only the countries that have European culture as the base. The Southern Cone is much closer to Latin Europe than to Peru and Bolivia

Mexico is also like Europe in the bigger cities, but many of the backwater rural areas are completely Indian.

LLEVAME A LA ESTACIÓN! ESPERO QUE TE VUELVA A VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER

>Mexico is also like Europe in the bigger cities
Mexico is like murrika, not like europe

That's ok, you Berbero-Amerindian, you will never know that feel, get over it.