What was it like to use Linux before the internet was widely available...

What was it like to use Linux before the internet was widely available? So much depends on internet connection these days, like package management.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yJehmaPnxgY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It was never without internet. It basically took off after 1992 to 1994 and all its developers were almost all its users at the start, and they were mainly academic connections. The internet existed in academia pretty robustly since the early to mid 90s and the normies also entered mid-nineties.
Sure, most of the super normies entered after the 00s, but the nerds that were 18 yo or more were already with in-house connection to the internet since around 1995-6.

How is Nguyen pronounced? I see it written all the time but never actually heard it.

Not sure if it's right but I went through high school with a chink whose last name was that and he pronounced it "new-en"

There were some SMALL variations to that trend. e.g. Debian - and it still has that culture - (and Slackware) was making CD ISOs precisely because people wanted to have linux available offline, but also mainly because their connections were shit, dialup. I actually made some cash by selling burnt CDs myself when I had access to 100Mbps in the late 90s/early 00s.

"na - goy - en"

Nagoyyin

>goy

hen gooey yen

>gooey

GNU-yen contracted to a single syllable.
youtube.com/watch?v=yJehmaPnxgY

it's pronounced 'win' from what i've read.

>GNU

zines with cdroms containing new packages and programs.

>What was it like to use Linux before the internet was widely available?

Completely unusable.
The only reason Linux took off is because you can google your problem and find the answer immediately.
For quite a while, even though internet was available, many questions were not answered. You had to go to a forum, register, ask the question and wait days in hopes of someone answering correctly.

do mags still do that? i always liked getting those back in the day.

No. The best they do these days is either provide specialized live CDs (for malware analysis and removal, pen testing, anonymized internet access…) or the latest DVD release of the big desktop distributions (Ubuntu, SUSE), although I haven't seen the latter for some years now.

win

Remember when Linus actually embraced 'Free Software'? Remember when we actually called Linux 'Free Software'?

I sure don't.

Back then there were no package managers. Basically Slackware and Redhat were your two choices, and neither did much package management. Redhat could tell you that you needed a dependency, but it wouldn't install it for you.

It's pronounced, "Nu-Yon".

2 and 7 are the same person

It's pronounced as 'chink'.

Angelica
Emily
Angela
Isabella
Madeline
Vi
Elizabeth
Alexandra

in that order