Is there a Linux desktop environment that looks like Windows 95/98?

Is there a Linux desktop environment that looks like Windows 95/98?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/grassmunk/Chicago95
github.com/AdrianoML/Chicago95
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

yes, but they're all shit
you're better off making your linux look like an actual unix, like 1990s era solaris

But 90's era Windows is so aesthetic

all desktops of that era were aesthetic despite not being copy pasted in your stupid faux-ironic post-post vaporwave shit

IceWM

I think it has to do with the sharpness of the icons and the fonts. Everything was more detailed, and sometimes it was objectively ugly, but it still had more texture and more feel to it.

Nowaday everything is just soft undetailed shit.

I'm pretty sure there's a classic windows theme for MATE
Additionally you probably have to tweak your font rendering settings, like setting hinting to full, to get that look.

>the icons
No help here
>and the fonts
Just turn off the ClearType.

just felt more like a machine than a lifestyle to me
it's part of why I welcome flatshit back, it's the closest we'll ever get to a purely information-oriented aesthetic

Came here to post this. IceWM is the correct answer.

ReactOS, but it's slightly more than a DE

I'm interested too. Would be nice to move to linux but hate most of the DEs

redmond theme on xfce gets kinda close

Q4OS ships with TDE, and there's a theme pack for that called XPQ4 with the appearance you're looking for.

"The Internet"

>59089071
i hope someone shoots you in the face

no, linux is a kernel, it doesn't have desktops

Yeah XFCE with Classic 95 icons! And Redmond theme

>stupid faux-ironic post-post vaporwave shit
those are big words
I dont understand them

ReactOS isn't Linux

Use Xfce, install the two themes shown. I stopped there, but if you want something closer to Win9x you can put the panel on the bottom and hunt down a pack of icons.

Chichago 95 for XFCE

This is amazing, thank you.

Yes, in fact all Linux distributions look like old, depreciated operating systems.

does anyone else remember getting preview builds of longhorn from college?

I remember ur mum getting previews of my longhorn

why do these shitheads always have a big gaping ass bluetooth icon showing in the tray every fucking time
at least that one looks somewhat passable I guess

>depreciated
Depreciated is for assets in accounting or for the monetary value of items. Deprecated is what you meant.

Just change resolution to 640x480

MATE is not quite the Windows 98/ME, but it is the Windows XP of the Linux desktop. Like Windows XP, it can be made to look more modern or "classic". Either way, it has an old school desktop feel, except a bit more polished than what was the norm in the '90s. What it also shares with old Windows is a genuine nostalgia factor due to its GNOME 2 legacy.

GNOME 1 was even more Win9x/MacOS Classic. Pic related.

> 1998

we have to go back

>1998 was 20 years ago
I'm only 28 and the feel of years going by hit me in the feels.

Totally this.

Slackware.

XFCE with Chicago95 theme

Does it use the three-button start menu like Chicago did?

Windows 7 ≥^.^≤

EDE

Windows 7

Can't find this

Literally top one on google
github.com/grassmunk/Chicago95

KDE.

95 is just a ripoff of Nextstep (a 80s-90s era unix)
install WindowMaker

There's also this fork for more recent versions of GTK.
github.com/AdrianoML/Chicago95

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

that filemanager is literally better than nautilus

sudo apt install doublecmd

lain!

Pic related is my setup. WES7 and a CentOS VM, rendering the X apps in Windows using VcXsrv.

i would love a 9x wm/theme that really tries

there were a few old tries at it, but they weren't really all that convincing

Now that's cool

gnome1 reminds me more of RISC OS

linux is a kernel, newfag
you're searching for a theme for your de

linux is the informal name given to the distribution of GNU/Linux/systemd/etc operating systems, stop trying to argue semantics to look cool on Sup Forums

>Linux 3.10
You're a major version behind, friend.

>find the perfect GTK theme
>it's for a slightly older version and totally broken on the new one

Doesn't all of it?

I think they tried to copy KDE 1 or an early KDE2 version

GNOME only exists because of muh nonfree QT framework

I think he's trying to look edgy.

Next, he'll be posting how it's GNU/Linux, and not "Linux"....

>he has never used Windows 95

welcome to gtk3

She said Linux DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT, obviously meaning a desktop environment that runs under operating systems based on the Linux kernel.

That's the Office 97 bar, isn't it?

iceWM