Sup Forums needs to put their money where their mouth is. What software do you financially support?

>he blocks ads
>he pirates stuff
>he does everything possible not to support others

However, this is the Technology board.

What software do you actually pay for or donate to in order to support the software or services you enjoy, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0s6zTF1yR9L
steamdb.info/calculator/76561198062112596/?cc=us
gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>paying for software

>not going full FOSS

shigs

Dwarf fortress. $1/month for life.

Ik

>he doesn't support free software

Sad

Its harder to steal hardware than software and I'm not a Tyrone.

>Stallman told me only to pay with cash
How do I donate with cash?

Personally I only bought licenses for Total Commander and mIRC, which still do their job flawlessly, and I believe I donated to the Miranda IM fundraiser, so that's at least once towards free software.
My employer already pays for support of software on SUSE to Novell Micro Focus. :^)

Just make a fucking appointment with the developer and hand him the cash in person.

Mass Effect 3

What a huge fucking mistake that was.

Notepad++

I pay for games sometimes (usually if I pirate them first and feel they're worth the money).

vocaroo.com/i/s0s6zTF1yR9L

I explain what I pay for with this recording.

>downloaded reactos
>they politely ask for a few bucks to support the project
>sent em 10
>next release is actually awesome

I going to donate them more next month. Niggas don't just talk, they deliver.

Sup Forumsirgin here, if I ever pirate a game from a smaller dev and it's not trash I will buy it. A lot of times I just flat out buy it even if I'm not sure how well it will go with me.

However, this only applies to smaller devs. I will never give money to companies like Ubisoft

>being stingy
>never buy anything
>rationalize your behavior with poor moral framing

>stealing from others
>expect to get everything for free because they belong to a poor socioeconomic standing
>excuse their behavior on oppression by more accomplished members of society

Sup Forums are simultaneously the Jews and no better than Niggers

steamdb.info/calculator/76561198062112596/?cc=us

Link to my steam come back when you have a better argument

Inkscape. I regularly contribute relatively large sums of money toward Inkscape, as I use it for my art in my mobile games and owe them quite a bit for my success.

I shit list thousands of domains and address space. Got a problem with that?
Don't pirate shit OS X and iOS come free with the device. Problem?
Donate money to trustworthy new media and small plebtubers. Problem?

I pay 6.95 a month for a microsoft office subscription

The main bulk of the software I've bought is work related. I work in tv/film editing so I've paid for a bunch of weird programmes I need to be able to do jobs. Most things I can do with free or open source software but something like playing back DCP files or encoding in ProRes on Windows is impossible to do otherwise. I used to pay monthly for Premiere Pro but now get it paid for me.

fucking nothing

various app devs
patreon of ubuntu mate (only 2 dollars)

and nothing else. Seriously though the lack of money on even on a big name like ubuntu mate is low, they get like 1.5k while "four elements trainer" is making 5k

>bought windows 10 (Skylake build wouldn't work otherwise)
>bought many apps from the Google play store
>I own probably close to $1500 in blurays and DVDs. Box sets of anime etc.
>Bought program makeMKV because it was $35 and I used it a lot to rip the collection above
>Donated 50 to the handbrake development team because while free, I use it a lot
>donated $50 to the Linux ubuntu MATE team because its my main non windows OS used for everything
>I also buy games from steam, and go to FUCKING GAMESTOP and buy games there for my PS4.

I used to pirate everything and anything until I got a job which put quite a bit of cash into my pocket compared to the minimum wage/neet life I was living before. Now a $60 game and $70 worth of new movies on blurays isn't even so much as an after thought. I still block all ads within my browser because they're annoying. Although I feel guilty for doing it to Crunchyroll. I've been seriously considering getting a year membership. No ads to block, 1080p streaming. Idk

You're cancer.
Stop trying to use internet memes in your communication.

I pirate everything, and the only paid software I use is on my work PC which my work pays for.

>haven't paid for movies since I bought Avatar on blue ray
>haven't paid for music since I bought a Plain White T's album for my gf in high school
>haven't paid for literally any software ever outside of some PS2 games

>paying for software

I pay a markup for macOS in a sense, although their hardware is great, too.

>>I own probably close to $1500 in blurays and DVDs. Box sets of anime etc.

Fedora me if you will. I got sick of garbage tier rips that I was pirating. Plus my ISP was getting prickly about the whole thing. If you got the money, why not? And the collection was over a couple years at least. Not like I dumped $1500 in a month.

>1's and 0's
>no marginal cost
>"stealing"
lol retard

if your life came to a point where you own 1500$ worth of anime, the 1500$ you spent is not your biggest problem

>any ISP giving a flying shit about torrenting anime

>Apple
>Good Hardware

Go to any small electronic/PC repair type of place and you will see piles of broken Apple laptops. Even based Louis Rossman admits that he gets most of his business because Apple uses faulty hardware.

It's not all anime of course. 85% of it is movies of every genre. I have several box sets of different anime is what I was saying.
Yeay ISP did. Got a couple letters in the mail to cease and desist or face prosecution

>making things up
>muh anecdotes
k
>covered under warranty which will often completely replace the entire machine, generally in 2-3 business days, shipped both ways at their expense
>optional extended warranty which is relatively cheap and will allow you to do the same thing for 3 years
out of 10 macs I have a problem with one of them and it's simply replaced no questions asked, no Pajeet asking me to turn it on and off again, etc.

>paying people who worked to create something you use is cuckoldry

Activated my real windows ISO with KMS.
Pirate everything. Bypass in app purchases.
Buy all my accounts from the deepweb because fuck paying monthly subscriptions.

I found out how to reverse engineer the post office's barcodes so I'm able to go pick up packages that were delivered to a different address under a fake name. I guess you could say I don't pay for hardware either cus I know it all comes from carding anyways.

tl;dr I only pay for electricity because it's metered in my building and I haven't found a way to bypass the meters yet

>What software do you actually pay for
Games are pretty much the only software I'll pay for.

>>paying people who worked to create some shit ftwfy

Copyright infringement is not theft.
Copyright infringement is copyright infringement.

Protonmail
Lastpass
Office 365

I also buy all of my games, which are considered software, but not the kind I think you're asking about.

I buy Blender DVDs and I also donated to two Krita kickstarters.

I pay for a seedbox

I have a Crunchyroll subscription that I don't use to make up for the fact that pirates watch anime without paying for it. It makes those moralfag pirates angry.

if you cant keep a trade secret a secret it is fair game for the market
notice that the coca cola recipe is not copyrigted

pay to private trackers

If it's shit, why are you using it in the first place?

I can imagine Pat Morita as Mr. Miyagi saying that.

You post proof right fucking now, I don't believe you that they'd give a shit unless it's some funi licensed shit

I pay for Google G Suite for my small business because it just works. Don't have the time to fuck with maintaining my own mail server, share drive, etc. I have 5 employees so it's not like $5/user/month is going to break the bank.

Also, if a piece of software is priced low I don't mind paying for it. $20-50 one time for a solid piece of software that is well maintained is ok with me. When they want you to pay $1000 or some shit for one release that's good for a short amount of time is when I put my foot down and pirate.

>found out how to reverse engineer the post office's barcodes so I'm able to go pick up packages that were delivered to a different address under a fake name
what do you mean by this? You can pick up other people's packages?

Bvckup 2
IntelliJ
SmartGit

Living the dream I see

i pay with my userdata
every
single
day

>>I own probably close to $1500 in blurays and DVDs. Box sets of anime etc.
I only imported one anime Blu Ray box and that was $1000. Your collection mustn't be very big :^)

because its free and i can
i believe all commerical software should have it's source open, otherwise its botnet and i am free to undermine, take advantage of and disrespect it as much as i can.
i pay for
>ublock
>seedbox
>sci-hub
and the like

this
hell, Windows 10 was free for people using pirated win7/8 for a time (yet it wasn't for others lel). If you are not paying you are the product. If you are paying you still are so might as well not pay

It happened like 2 years ago user. I've since switched to Verizon as my ISP and with pirate bay having gone honey pot mode, and demonoid barely existing, I haven't bothered to try pirating anything.

The stuff I got caught on was The Equalizer (Sony film) and then a 2nd time for walking dead seasons 1 and 2.

It's not just anime! Another user said the same thing. It's a bunch of movies too.

And what the hell cost you $1k?

That's awfully fucking petty. There's no way you're older than your early 20s.

>this is the Consumer board
retard

Kara no Kyoukai box, the limited edition one.

that's actually pretty legit user, good job

>assuming everyone not buying into slavery meme is in early 20s
current software financial model is retarded and absolete, all that money should go to open source gods instead of corporate slaves. so i would rather finance piracy meanwhile. also enjoy your sucking your 1984 dick. its because of assholes like you we cant have nice things

God bless you.

I do the following:

Pay for Android apps I like.
Donate to open source software if I use it all the time. (Hi Floens)

Otherwise that's about it. I pirate Windows for my desktop. Fuck paying Microsoft. I would rather give it to Debian, which I run on my laptop.

Only 34 hours in Civilization. Did you buy enjoy your one game?

>people voluntarily paying for software is slavery
>everyone who disagrees with me is an asshole
>stop liking what I don't like!
You are not an adult.

Not counting gayms, the paid software I'm using is provided to me by my employer (why would I buy for example a VS enterprise myself, lol, you want me to work with something, pay for that shit)

I had about 2 games 1 on the some what fast option and the other is on the fucking slow one I would have more hours on it but civ is a game I play when I am not able to connect to the internet

I honestly don't pay for any software at all.

Forgot to tag

I paid for office 2007 ultimate (60$ student deal, commercial use included.) Got a free upgrade to office 2010 Pro out of that and probably will never upgrade until Microsoft forces my hand.

Paid for Windows 8 because the kms activator was a piece of shit. Took the free upgrade to Windows 10. Sort of regret it, but I need it for Memelake.

I pay for wolfram alpha pro, worth every penny, it taught me more about calculus than my useless professor.

I pay for Spotify and You Need a Budget. I hate recurring fees but they're just too damn good at what they do.

I own almost all of my games library. The only thing I still pirate is a few single player EA titles since I refuse to use origin. (Then I uninstall them because EA is trash.)

>he blocks ads
Only because they're intrusive.

>he pirates stuff
I pay for video games and some music, I pirate shows because there's no convenient way to pay for them.

I've never, ever and never, ever will, donate. I've bought plenty of things because the only way to get the features I want was by monetary transaction, but if I get nothing, I will pay nothing. There's no moral objection here, just basic rationale and reasoning.

Pay if you want, don't pay if you don't want, but don't get off on thinking you're better or worse for paying.

if you sell me something, it's mine. if you don't have the source code available, it means you intend to take advantage of me. thats when i pirate the shit out of your software, i will nop the hell out of your home-brewn drm, make money with it and finance piracy with it. u mad? or you could open the source and still sell software, but without being a shady jew

Problem?

>X-DD you mad bro??
Do you also get mad when companies sell your physical goods that have patented technology that you can't reproduce and sell? Are those evil corporations trying to take advantage of you because they patented what they spend years and millions of dollars creating?

Finale music notation software. TBF, the version I use is 2008. Maybe it's time to upgrade?

Fuck, I meant to attach this picture too.

A king among men, we salute you.

>Joining the russian botnet

These days there is very few pieces of software you actually own. All of them have a user license and you don't actually legally own them by having a license to use them.

Kinda wasteful to spend money on stuff you don't actually own if it's not a subscription service or something.

Kek

It's allowed and even encuraged to sell free software. Many people do that

gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

And? The open source community has clearly failed to find success in the market because their model is simply inferior at monetizing itself.
>inb4 muh servers

I never pay for software and use free software and pirate proprietary software. Paying for anything that'll go to SJWs is for cucks.

>they spend years and millions of dollars
>management bought yachts while outsourcing to pajeet
sorry but no, either you open the source, or enjoy your piracy. while sources are closed i will pirate until i die and will go to jail for it if i must. so fuck you and your slave mindset.

Nonsense, many GNU-licensed software and services have earned millions. For example take wordpress, they earn millions of dollars in profit every year.

Video games generally, pretty much everything else I use is gratis or I've gotten for free.

Literal communist rhetoric.

>voting with your wallet makes you a slave!!

Did you just come from /leftypol/?

Now compare that to Apple, Google, and Microsoft which rake in hundreds of billions of dollars. Humans are motivated by profit, and having your intellectual property protected so that you can profit from it encourages further development.

You are paying with your data and privacy

Dwarf kingdom

Kaspersky. Last year bought 3 anti-virus licenses for $5 each. This year got 3-PC coverage for $22.

I use common sense, but even that isn't enough to stop some pop-ups and keep some older people's computers safe.

Or we're just better at it than they are.

Who still torrents? Direct download is better and sometimes faster. Of course don't pay for the sites.

>I pirate shows because there's no convenient way to pay for them.

Cable subscription. Hulu. Amazon Prime.

You're giving money to jews