What is Sup Forums s expert opinion

What is Sup Forums s expert opinion.

Other urls found in this thread:

benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/compare.php?lang=node&lang2=python3
python.org/jobs/2380/
joinrps.com/showJob.aspx?j=4023&s=s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sup Forums is not an expert on anything

Most comfy programming language. Not very good to learn because it's easy to get hired and better paid than many other programming jobs so there is little incentive to learn other languages. Especially since everything else is harder to read, more verbose and more time consuming to learn and use as well as pay worse. Best to avoid Python and work your way up slowly using other languages.

I don't really see the point of Python. I've used it professionally and the only justification I've ever seen for its existence is some cult logic bullshit about 'conciseness', 'coding pythonically' (?!?!???), and 'muh batteries included' (gee thanks like it is so hard to download a fucking library)

Very comfy, easy to do anything, slow as fuck.

Ditched it in favour of Rust, the appeal of safe C like speeds sounds REALLY fucking appealing, so I want it to take off.

/thread

Its not even good for educating.
>comfy
Hah nah

Comfy as fuck is true nigger.

It's fine for middle/high school. I mean, I'd prefer it to the option I had, which was Delphi.

it could suck less, from an engineering pov
also

c++ or fucking java would be more appropriate

Java would be a good idea, maybe... Right, we're talking about forcing kids to program, while giving a taste of the good stuff for the interested.

Java is too wordy, C++ is too unsafe.

with python you can learn how to indent your code
>that as all

Python is a good language and easy to debug compared to compiled languages, Python's main con is that it's slow like most (at least CPython the default python's implementation), but it still used in many new projects in big corporations like Facebook AI

It's great for the right tasks, but there will always be retards using it for stuff it's obviously not suited for and complaining about the performance.

Programming languages are just tools, and sometimes you need to pick the right tool for the job.

>Python is a good language and easy to debug compared to compiled languages

I moved departments in my company from real-time simulation C++ to python.

I can't believe I get paid the same amount to do tasks in this baby-tier language.

the computer
understands
python just like
fucking this

easy to learn, easy to use, works well for what it does, probably the best first language

Good language for beginner. It teaches you basic programming design and culture.

People should actually start with Python and not JavaScript.

>People should actually start with Python and not JavaScript.

t. programming normie

In reality, the semantics aren't that different.

GeT oVeR iT

It's alright I guess. There's lots of things that frustrate me though.

I try to do my scripting in either lua or racket instead

Works fine as a simple scripting language for interacting with an API that reads from internal data structures. I would even say that it's GOOD at presenting complex collections in a way that is condensed, but not ugly.

But once your algorithm start getting necessarily awkward and once your UI needs to be tweaked in an exact kind of way, the limitations of favoring form over function become very clear. If it were true that ugly code is bad code, then C++ never would have existed in the first place.

Python > Java > Lua > Ruby

>Python > C > ASM > 11001010100 > Singularity

>listens to frontend monkey with grenade
>goes into js
>falls for every meme former css masters try to force on each other because cant spot shitty practice while everything is covered in fancy css logos and animations
>thinks node folders miles deep is ok
>spends one week to learn theFramework tm
>after a week everyone switches to other framework

benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/compare.php?lang=node&lang2=python3

Now kindly sit down python babby.

Not him, how is that relevant?

Both are dynamic scripting languages. One is outrageously faster then the other.

Why would you choose to use the slower one when the faster one is basically the same thing and even has a larger ecosystem of third party libraries? Python is basically pointless.

They're very different languages with very different design goals? Maybe python's design fits your needs better than Javascript (or I guess Node specifically)

It's good for using as an OO calling interface for underlying simulation code written in C (using python ctypes wrappers). That's what I mostly use it for - do the intensive computations in C, write a few ctypes.Structure wrappers and hey-presto you have a nice object-oriented interface for your simulation where you can easily plot outputs and what-not using matplotlib or something like that.

>listens to frontend monkey with grenade
wut

Good for getting simple things done quickly

I should add though that I think it's a terrible language for beginners to learn as their first - like all dynamically typed languages.

I firmly believe that all programmers should start learning with a statically typed, compiled language so that they can understand about data-types and have at least a rough idea of what's going on behind the scenes on a computer. With that in mind I think probably the best first languages to learn are C and C++ (C gives you the real low-level knowledge, whilst C++ teaches you about both procedural and object-oriented programming as well as important concepts like RAII).

Well I think you're wrong. There's nothing inherently valuable in learning object-oriented programming and I don't believe RAII is an important concept. C++ should be avoided altogether unless you're doing game development.

For similar reasons I will strongly advocate for beginners to start with Ada to practically force them into good practices and give them a magical compiler that will catch many errors they'll be making.

>9 minute response time
I see the Rust Shill Brigade is back at capacity.

Great language, hence it's popularity. Anyone who says otherwise is a fizzbuzzer.

>Anyone who says otherwise is a fizzbuzzer
What does this mean?

R u s t
u
s
t

>Not very good to learn because it's easy to get hired and better paid than many other programming jobs

what kind of logic is this

>rust
back to /r/technology you go

python is general purpose, fucktard.

Useful for automating some tasks and for Machine Learning algorithms, bad for more CPU intensive things.

www.codecombat.com

i thought the same thing

I think it means autism

So is javascript. Whether originally intended or not.

It is better to learn a varied amount of programming languages.

Python programmers are often very comfortable and don't have a proper good incentive to learn other languages because other languages are usually paid worse and are harder to get a job with other languages.

>muh node
people don't choose python for speed you dummy.. if i want speed, i ll profile and rewrite critical parts in C and your nodejs will bite on my giant low-level dick

javascript is retarded as a first language for novice programmers, its clear as day. if its not clear to you, you try to defend being molested by js community in your programmer childhood, that's fine by me. but new programmers shouldn't suffer because of your past retardedness

>what is numpy

no pointers so it can't be good

>other languages are usually paid worse and are harder to get a job with other languages
Where do I have to live for it to be like this. Around me there's pretty much only jobs within c-family languages (C# mostly).

>what is pypy

That's mostly because shit's super easy to get done in Python, so you only need a small team to make something big.

Meanwhile C# is fucking cancer, and the companies that use it have huge turnover rates, which is why they're constantly hiring to keep up with their employee churn.

I mean just look at the average C# job ad vs the average Python job ad.

>Python:
Agency life getting you down? Fed up of office politics and out of touch managers? Tired of being married to your desk?

Mercurytide is different!

We have a genuinely friendly and experienced team who will support you when you struggle and champion you when you nail it......

python.org/jobs/2380/

>C#:
NET Software/Web Developer

RPS is currently seeking an Intermediate to Senior Level Software Microsoft .NET Developer with 3 or more years of experience developing desktop and/or web-based applications. The successful candidate will be responsible for support and maintenance of new and existing software, writing code primarily in C#. Knowledge and experience in VB/VB.NET is not required but is a plus.

Qualifications:
• Practical work experience with Software Development Lifecycle including the technologies listed below.
• Experience in designing and developing enterprise scale .NET applications......

joinrps.com/showJob.aspx?j=4023&s=s

See what I'm saying?

>using c over c++

You need one in your mouth

my engineering profs almost used Python exclusively for a lot of their grunt calcs

FPBP

Gets small things done easily, that's about it. I wouldn't use it for much else

Yeah, it's really great to sketch out an idea and explore high level algorithm design stuff. Once you get the high level stuff ironed out, you have a solid base to help get into the nitty gritty from.

This. Python is peak comfy, but Java pays bills.

without python how would you ever find buffer overflows?

>Intermediate
That's a red-flag right there. Never fucking apply for intermediate. That just means Sr. responsibility with Jr. pay.

>gee thanks like it is so hard to download a fucking library

It's not that it's hard or anything (pip makes it a lot easier), it's just that it comes with the most used libraries for almost anything you'll wanna do, specially if it's a script of some kind.

You know, you can compile Python scripts.
Doesn't make it much faster, but still.

That just compiles it to bytecode for python's vm, right?

Great for decompilation, and modding services, terrible for other more advanced tasks like 3d rendering (video games, photo editing, scientific, or math). Great for things like Minecraft Coder Pack, because it automates such a boring task.

Good for prototyping shit and making random scripts (saner than using bash).

Also has decent packages for statistical manipulation

It's pretty good for number scripts, quick scripts, bots and web backends. The latter is sort of slow but fast to dev, doesn't meme on me every 2 months (node) and has a great ORM.

I have not really coded, but I know that it can help with easy automation scripts.

>Sup Forums s expert opinion.

I'm FUCKING dead