Alpha i3

So theres this one guy in my econ class who is selling one of these for $140. Is this a good buy?

Specs:

Cpu: Core i3-4130T dual-core with hyper-threading

Clock speed: 2.9GHz, no turbo, 3MB cache

Memory: 4GB DDR3L at 1600MHz (single-channel)

GPU: GTX 860M variant with 2GB GDDR5

Storage: 512 gb hdd

What games can i expect to run with this thing? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

userbenchmark.com/UserRun/2905003
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That's alright value for parts to make an actual low end gaming rig from

You could probably run Minecraft at like 30 FPS
Its pretty bad specs, not really worth $140
Also

Good enough for light gaming
$140 is really not a lot and you get the cool alienware looks

That's actually a pretty good value. Its better than consoles hardware wise, and you could play low end games easily, and higher end games on medium.
Also its the perfect form factor for an htpc.

Does it have dual NICs or could you get another one for it?

Would be a neat pfSense box.

It's basically a 2014 midrange "gaming" laptop, with less thermal throttling issues.
It's not awful for the price but it won't run much above medium settings.

Uhhh no. This thing can run most games fine at Medium to Low settings. My brother has one.

Though OP, after you buy it I'd swap the hard drive with a faster one from the 5400rpm that comes with it. The load times will make you want to kill yourself in most games with that HDD.

CPU is utter shit

GPU aiight

For the price and form factor, it's pretty good.

Maybe older games. But you couldn't even run Overwatch on that

Should run most games at 1080P Medium settings. Throw in another 4GB of ram an maybe upgrade the CPU and you're good.

Upgrading the RAM would be necessary

I run Minecraft at large world size at 60fps on a mobile i7 and Intel HD graphics
Enormous exaggeration

>I run Minecraft
get out underage piece of shit

I think thats a pretty good price, especially given the specs. I would buy it if I knew the guy

I'd use it as a home theater pc because it has a cool form factor and case design. also its not exactly a gaming powerhouse but it would play the games I like just fine. kerbal space program, factorio, besiege, etc...

Thanks for all the input guys, i am going to buy it and from what i understand i should upgrade the CPU and ram. Any suggestions for which CPU to get?

I am not too sure on this :l

Always buy Alienware if you have the chance. It's a lifestyle.

After you upgrade the RAM and storage, you might have something decent. Not amazing, but decent enough to play on low/medium.

I found someone who ran a bench of this model, it looks like he upgraded the RAM though. Or it just had more RAM to begin with. userbenchmark.com/UserRun/2905003

make sure you get an LGA1150 chip CPU so its compatible with your motherboard

this limits you to Haswell or Broadwell intel processors

Get Ryzen

It's a good value. Normally you would expect as low as no dedicated GPU and a Celeron processor for that money.

You can expect to run games that ask for that GPU and earlier.

I bet it was the single-channel that made you think it was shit wasn't it. And don't bullshit me by deflecting to another component you saw it and decided to throw it in the mix because you don't know shit.

BIOS won't support the 2 desktop Broadwell chips that exist, that are also really expensive so not even worth mentioning.

yes you can
woorks great with the steam big picture mode or bluetooth kb
really hard to update the cpu. its gonna fry the motherboard.