Desktop support job

>desktop support job
>bachelor's degree and 5 years experience required

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/lizryan/2017/02/02/online-job-applications-dont-work-try-a-pain-letter-instead/
reddit.com/r/recruitinghell/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>20 years of working with Facebook

Totally dependent on the area.

If your on the West Coast you can't throw a rock without hitting a CS major so they definitely can be selective as they want to be for any tech job.

If your in the mid-west, you could get a desktop support position simply because you were 1 of 2 people that applied to the job posting. The other applicant is a meth-head that failed the background check.

>80k a year
>A+ cert

how the fuck did I find this job.

What job and where?

>5 years experience required
>required
Just ignore demands like that, and don't make much effort applying. Send them your CV and see what happens. If they don't want to hire you, they won't and that will be it. Otherwise, you will get an interview and then you can prove that you deserve this job in person.

That's pretty solid advice actually

This, my teacher told me to apply to everything even if your experience doesn't come close. A lot of the times everyone else thought the same thing and didn't try, or did and suck worse than you.

But it does make me laugh when they have those requirements but want to pay you a dollar above minimum wage

No, it's so they can say there's no one with the skills they need in the US so they can bring in pajeets for cents on the dollar.

>do not apply if you do not have ALL the requirements you will be blacklisted regionally

>He thinks properly paid helpdesk positions only require knowing how to put together a PC
If I had a penny for every dipshit that applied and I had to interview, discovering that everything they put on their resume was total bullshit, I'd have retired 15 fucking years gao

Why not just hire Pajeets directly then?

How much skill could you possibly need for helpdesk?
As far as I know, they just have you read a script and if there's anything that deviates from the script, you just send them a warranty box or whatever.

That isn't helpdesk, that's a callcenter, you idiot.

A woman I know applied for a typist's position at a government research place. She had 20 years experience as personal secretary to the local mayor but was asked at which university she had obtained her degree.
She was told that they never employed people who had not completed a degree.

They need permission from the government to ship them in so they need to say to the government they """""looked""""" for qualified US workers first

They have to justify the H1B program so they can keep exploiting it.

what's the difference?

It's a way to be sneaky assholes about it. "Hey look we totally tried you guys can we please go get the really cheap labor now?"

>no job unless you have a prohibitively expensive piece of paper

I can't even get a fucking decent warehouse job let alone actual computer jobs.

>murica, land of the free
because gubberment says you must prefer locals

I got my first IT job because the company had a rule that they only hire people from the top 20 universities in the UK, and I went to one of those, so I got hired with a Psychology degree, a CompTIA A+, and several years of experience working in factories and call centres. It's an ill wind indeed that blows no man any good.

Are you fucking serious, Ranjeet?

is an associates degree worth anything or is it as bad as having no degree?

It might get you in the door at your first job. Basically worthless otherwise.

An associates degree landed my friend an internship as a project manager for the county government while he worked on his bachelors in EE, beyond that I don't know

One will hire literally anybody who can type, train them for 3 weeks, and give them a script.

The other expects you to know shit beforehand, provides no training other than mid-job training on specific programs, and you generally work on really small fucking teams.

That is to say:
Callcenters don't require you to know anything other than how a computer works
Helpdesk requires you to have intensive knowledge of windows server, office, exchange, general application support, hardware. OEM warranty systems, networking systems, and whatever specific software the company uses.

One is a job for idiots.
One is a job for people starting out in IT.

It's infinitely more valuable than nothing, but significantly less than a bachelors.

You can do it.

I attended trade school in hs for the a+ and cisco, but quit 3/4 way through cisco (this was 2001/2). I worked for a local pc repair place for a couple years, pay was good but worked more then I wanted to. Quit and got business license. Always kept some part-time job on the side.
I still work for myself. My average week these days is 10-15 hours of misc computer work. This week I worked 10.5 hours running installation scripts on an old Unix machine and made $900. Along with some other small stuff I made right around 1600. I set up a NAS for a different small business tomorrow morning for probably around 300.
You can do it, it is possible, I'm living proof.

Those reqs are written to justify H1B imports.

>be me
>no CS degree
>self taught
>Fucking White Maleā„¢
>apply to web dev jobs for months
>nothing
>join up with nonprofit that places people from "diverse and non traditional backgrounds" in tech jobs
>they don't bring me any interviews at all, apparently lots of applicants
>go to their job fair
>every other applicant present is a woman or clearly gay/mental illness
>lots of rainbow colored hair and bull dykes
>two companies offer me positions on the spot
>now making $70K in the Midwest building web apps for medical supply companies
>mfw

>entry level it job
>4 year degree, a dozen certifications, references from 3 past employers, and 2 years experience required

Helpdesk is shit, just apply directly at what you want to do.
Many people believe you need helpdesk to get a foot into IT which isn't true, if you have the skills to do junior net/sys admin stuff just apply and have a good CV.

>crowdfunding beggar
>no experience or education required

>get job in a game studio
>front desk tech support
>alright job and good work environment
>absolute shit salary

feels bad man

>50k a year
>Sec+ and CCNA

On the other hand, they got me a TS clearance so no more bar fightan

Literally bookmarked this the other day.
forbes.com/sites/lizryan/2017/02/02/online-job-applications-dont-work-try-a-pain-letter-instead/

>pain letter

Dear Google,
I just had mexican food and my asshole hurts right now.
It felt like I was shitting boiling water a few minutes ago.

Yours truly,

Jiffrey

reddit.com/r/recruitinghell/

>inb4 leddit

>online job applications don't work
Weird, for my current job I filled in three online job applications, heard back from one and decided that it wasn't for me in the interview with a recruiter who contacted me, got one of them corrected because they were unspecific with what they were looking for (they didn't realize how broad one of the major terms they were using was, it was clear it was one of the forms I don't specialize in) and got the last one.

I fucking hate that woman, she gives the worst fucking advice but her shit always pops up on linkedin.

>tfw studying cisco
>all networking jobs in Houston say bachelor's OR 5 years experience can be substituted

Feels good man