Do other GNU/Linux distributions have any advantages over Linux Mint?

Do other GNU/Linux distributions have any advantages over Linux Mint?

their downloads don't get contaminated and hacked

Linux Mint is literally Ubuntu with a Windows wannabe UI and some built in software, i don't get the big deal

Suse is by far the best pleb distro. Yast is good and very easy to use

What's the deal with openPEPE?

Yes, thats why they exist.

That doesn't mean they all have advantages for you, but I don't really care to rate your situation.

If you're fine on Mint, then stay.

depends entirely on use case

Why gentoo? (or gentoo-based distros) Several reasons:
Portage is amazing. It offers USE flags, which allow you to compile your applications however you want them to. Ever had that issue where you can't use the clipboard on vim? Doesn't happen on gentoo, just compile using the 'X' flag.
> inb4 needing to learn pointless bullshit like an autist
That's why you can use Porthole, a GUI applications specifically for interacting with Portage. Supported by the gentoo developers. If you're on an installed gentoo distro, and have no idea how to use Portage (correctly), just run emerge porthole and then porthole. Just search for the desired application, and you can pick and choose all the compilation flags you need. They're pretty self explanatory
> inb4 compiling your packages every time.
Portage supports binhosts; libraries of precompiled packages that, on distros like Calculate Linux binhosts are set up by default, and theirs is pretty nice and up-to-date
cont (1/2).

cont. (2/2)
> inb4 rolling release distros
Gentoo IS NOT rolling release -- Well, it sort of is. Portage has another awesome feature called package masks. If you use Debian, you know the struggle of sacrificing stability for stale packages. You can try using Debian sid, but it's on the other end of the fucking spectrum, where the stability can be likened to something like Arch. The beauty of Gentoo is that you can install whichever package versions you want, with very few issues. There's no such thing as being a certain "release". Gentoo package masks keep packages from automatically moving to the latest version. If there's an ""update"", it's really just your package mask being modified to select the newer packages. But python 3.6 can easily be installed alongside GCC 3.4.6 and Gentoo will not give a flying fuck. You have to modify your package.unmask list in the portage directory in order to support the newer packages is all

So, despite the retarded Arch users on Sup Forums calling it a "meme", Gentoo is the opposite.
so Install Gentoo! Don't feel like compiling your own kernel? I recommend Calculate Linux, it still uses Gentoo's repositories but has a bloated kernel and a preset binhost.

my nigger
openSUSE just werks

If you really want binary Gentoo, Sabayon covers that better.

It really doesn't.
I've tried all these options, trust me
Use Calculate.
Sabayon basically doesn't let you use Portage, which is half of what makes Gentoo good.

linux mint has a shitty logo and name and is therefore unusable

unironically this. same with KDE with that huge autistic shitty K letter

Sup Forums cred

other than that no, but if you don't care about that just use windows

Yes. They do a better job of keeping casuals secure. The stupid messages used during the install makes newbies less safe. Clem is a lazy idiot. Mint needs to die already.

So I've been using manjaro kde but I don't like having to pacman -Syu all the time.
Thought about switching to kubuntu because everybody assumes linux=debian/ubuntu and this makes troubleshooting easy...but don't like how dolphin can't open videos with mpv directly from an smb share so no kde.
So, plain old ubuntu or opensuse? What does opensuse even offer over plain ubuntu?

Mint is just a polished Ubuntu LTS.

It's garbage.

Just? Cinnamon is way better than Unity.

I support this

I used linux mint with kde, it was nice.

i agree, I use Linux Mint Cinnamon. But it's basically Ubuntu LTS besides a few "mintapps" like mintupdate. Look at your patch history, everything but Cinnamon and mintapps shit comes directly from xenial, ubuntu's LTS repos

I'm OK with that actually.

>but don't like how dolphin can't open videos with mpv directly from an smb share so no kde
just install a different file manager and set it as default

Windows 10 with Linux subsystems

True, but minor improvements are still improvements.

yes

Please name a few.