/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a 200 series chipset

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/
>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for any Pentium or i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B250 or mobo for any Pentium or i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB for 1080p

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/F9diF2hA

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC
>Outdated chipset information

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/GRQbGf
pcpartpicker.com/list/Kxj6Ps
pcpartpicker.com/list/KkdB7h
pcpartpicker.com/list/DfpXd6
pcpartpicker.com/list/t4h8yf
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/KdwxkT
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/GRQbGf

Seems kind of expensive for a B-model motherboard

The CPU EZ Debug LED on my motherboard stays on and my computer won't POST.
What could be the problem? I already RMA'd the motherboard once because it had bent pins.

Should I RMA the CPU too, or is something else the problem?

>"""Building"""

>gpu
I don't recommend going with a blower style cooler unless you are going sff, but it's not a big deal

>case
looks like ass, but it works

>ryzen + 1080 ti = perfect combo?

It's in a currency as bad or worse than kangabux

Talk to support

pcpartpicker.com/list/Kxj6Ps

im probably going to add a sound card and a network card from my old computer (~2010-2011). Though that computer was prebuilt, so will i be able to open it and take parts from it?

That would be a nice 1440p setup

cheapest one that allowed 2400 ram.

cheapest 1070 i dont mind blower.
and yes case looks shit but its cheap and comes with 2 fans - im hoping the lights can be turned off

Which support? MSI? Newegg? Intel?

As long as you have enough PCI slots it should be no issue. And that in itself shouldnt be an issue.

Also, when you install windows be sure to install the drivers from the sound card/network manufacturer.

>i dont mind blower.
You dont mind the sound of a jet engine in your house?

depending on the fan, you can dissect the fan and cut out the led's

aight thanks

headphones.

will try it. cheers

Mobo manufacturer

Don't need sound card
Get 240GB SSD
Get used 23"-24" for $50

>cheapest one that allowed 2400 ram.
All B250 allow 2400

Should I get a different mobo?

cheapest mobo that allowed 2400 is what I meant - on the Jew Zealand pcpartpicker anyway

nah ssd doesnt matter to me right now. ill get it later down the line

it's fine as long as you are not build too crazy of a system, and don't plan on upgrading your ram.

I need a good quiet case fan. I know Noctua's usual brown fans are the best of the best, but I require at least neutral colours to match my computer's colour scheme.
How are Noctua's Redux fans ? They look like they'll match my other stuff nicely.

theyre noctua. they will be good

pcpartpicker.com/list/DfpXd6
Thoughts on the 600p?

Pshhh
Yeah bro actually go buy the solid black noctuas they're noctuas you know they're best of best bro

600p isn't very impressive imo, either get a cheaper SATA SSD or get a Samsung 950/960 pro, they're a huge step ahead of the 600p's
But 600ps aren't terrible prices either, they're just *barely* faster than SATA, where the Samsung ones smash those speeds
These are my drives

And here's a 960 pro

Oh, okay. I've never had an SSD before so I don't really know what to expect.

I love showing people HDD speeds
This is a WD Black high performance HDD
Expect a lot

I cant imagine needing more than 16

As far as performance per dollar nothing will boost you as much as an SSD. Ill never go back to fully mechanical

What's a good Ryzen build?

Pirate windows.

Hey I'm looking to upgrade cases, should I go with a Fractal Design R5 or a Corsair C70? Opinions?

ssd's are 3-4 years away from being as cheap as 1tb hard drives. i dont mind waiting

Can a PSU be incompatible with a CPU?
I have an old HX650W that I bought about 7 years ago with my i5 750 and was wondering if it'll have any problems powering recent CPUs.

Here's my opinion, buy a small SSD now along with a traditional harddrive. Only use the SSD to run your operating system. It honestly and truly makes such a huge world of difference.

I second this, an ssd used like this will reduce your boot up time and load times by an insane amount. Totally worth the extra cash.

How poor are you that youre sitting on s hundred dollars for 4 years? And if youre sonpoor why are you wasting your money on a gaming pc?

>m-m-muh boot times
How many of you fucks that use this as a selling point actually restart your machine more than once a week?

Was originally thinking about getting a 1060 but have heard good things about the RX 480. Which should I get?

I put my most used programs on it. Do what you want but its a cheap way to dramatically improve your rig

Get the cheapest one that isn't a 1060 3GB
They're astoundingly similar performance, the RX480 has a clear lead in DX12 games (10-12%) in favor of a small loss in DX11 games (2%) compared to the 1060 6GB
The 1060 3GB is actually a cut down chip, not just lower VRAM

A traditional household will get generally shut their computer off every night.

I have an LG 29UM58-P monitor currently. It's 29" and 1080p 75Hz. I want to add two 23" 16:9 1080p monitors each side (email on the left, spreadsheets on the right). Will it impact my vision or UX if I grab 60Hz monitors?

nah i have a decent job (60k per year) . But im a bit of jew when it comes to saving money. I can deal with hard drive for a few years.

The R5 is a piece of shit, only case I've ever bought that arrived broken

Want new PC now but want ryzen 1600x. What do?

Wait for Intel to release a better chip

Honestly I'm a little bit sad that you're so stupid

Depends on how much VRAM you want (4GB RX480 or 6GB 1060). Or if you are going to be playing a specific game that performs better on one or the other.

Bite the bullet on an eight core or just wait

Cannonlake is just around the corner, the die shrink to 10nm is finally happening, it's gonna be some real gains
All you gotta do is wait homie

Well i think youre really fucking dumb but thats cool with me

Second this

Get the new Define C instead.

Yeah, but how good ?
Is there anything better/quieter from other brands ?
How about Corsair's ML140 ?

RX 480 8gb or 1070? For 1080p gaming and maybe 14490.

Shit dawg, you need more than a 1070 for that

I meant 1440p lol idk how I typed that. I'm pretty tired.

For 1440, 1070.
For 1080, 480 is plenty. If you expect to pick up a 1440 monitor anytime soon, get a 1070.

I want to put an optical drive in it, so can't do the c

improve this for me. my budget is $850

pcpartpicker.com/list/t4h8yf

PCCaseGear recently unstocked the Phanteks Enthoo Luxe White which was my selected case for my custom water cooled build.

Can anyone suggest a mid to high end case for a rigid tubing build? Probably won't do SLI, 2xSSDs and 1-3 HDDs.

Also having trouble figuring out if 480 radiators will fit in the top of certain cases? I'm cooling my CPU and 1 GPU, JayZTwoCents suggested 240 rads per part cooled. Would it be better to just get 2 x 240 radiators, or 1 x 360 rad and a 120 rad mounted on the front or rear or something?

>2x 240mm radiators
Who wants to bet he has a Skylake/Kabylake quad core in his machine?

>JayZTwoCents suggested 240 rads per part cooled
>listening to the man who fucked up an X99 board by drilling holes through it
He's full of shit. A single 120mm radiator is enough to keep a CPU or a GPU cooled. You can cool both on a single radiator too, unless you're overclocking the balls off of them. Once you hit about 200W of heat, then you'll need to expand the radiator size to a single 240mm or two 120mm. Adding more large radiator's will only benefit you if you're doing ridiculously high-voltage overclocking on 100+TDP CPUs and 200W+ TDP GPUs.

>95w CPU
>190w GPU
>both on cheap aircoolers
Give it to me straight, how long until housefire?

Never?

Too expensive for my budget.
The cheaper one is the RX 480 but I don't know which model to get. I've heard suggestions for the XFX but that one is more expensive than some 1060 models so I don't know.
I would rather have a card that can last me for a wide variety of games for a long time. As for VRAM, isn't more usually better?

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/KdwxkT

Here is possibly my first build.
Trying to spend somewhere between 1800 to 2000 leafbucks smartly. All the money I save here will be spend on musical gear like a mixer, mics, etc.
You've guess it I plan on doing music related stuff with that rig. Also some minor video editing for fun.

I mostly play are 4X like Civ VI and Stellaris so I figured I didn't need that strong of a graphic cards.

Suggestions and crictics are more than welcomed.

MX300 or 850 evo?

R9 Fury

Do i need a fan?

when can we get a update on OP's picture

we need a more current and to compare HDD models/brands vs SSD models/brands

we need to start compiling stats on our drives as a community i think because ive heard backlaze has a bias and they dont use 100% new drives and run them till they break

they just do stress tests on used drives and its not really a level and standard ground

>buy 1080 a couple of weeks ago.
>play runescape now and again
>at 60hz

What have I done.

Make sure the RAM is compatible with the mobo
27" is a little too big for 1080p

Stock is fine

Doesn't really matter between the 1060 and 480. Basically whichever is cheaper

i5 7500, that i3 is a waste
240GB SSD

Don't buy a 1440p card until you buy the monitor. Start with 480

Wasted your money. Other anons take heed!

Which 480 model would you suggest though?

I want to build a custom case for a miniITX system as my 850w RMx psu and 1070 gpu don't fit in most cases.

however my problem is my current i7 3770k that I haven't put any effort into overclocking (due to a couple bluescreens) doesn't have a miniITX board that I could easily acquire.. SO my question is do you think I should look into getting one of the new Ryzen processors or wait for Intel to hopefully have a better next gen?

is it worth getting a skylake cpu? i heard kaby lake wasnt that much of an upgrade

It was as far as overclocking goes, but at stock clock speeds no.
Most Skylake CPUs are the same price as their Kaby Lake brothers, so you might as well go Kaby Lake.

thanks

r u me

>27" is a little too big for 1080p
Thanks I'll be checking if I can get 25" 1080p 75 hz or 27" 2k with freesync the same price point.

>Make sure the RAM is compatible with the mobo
Those are DDR4 sticks, why wouldn't they be compatible?

Considering that I already have the RX 480 8GB, which CPU/mobo/RAM combination is better?

Would I really even be seeing much of a performance improvement with the 7600k over 7500 with this GPU?

I was looking to get another cpu to go along with my gtx 970. I was looking at cpus in the 100-200 range. Is it worth to wait for the ryzen 1400x for a few months? How much of a difference would it make compared to my current fx8350?

Can i play wildlands on my tv? Its just a cheap 47 inch lcd

>optical drive in 2017

Whats wrong with that

only if you're going to overclock, it certainly does make a difference in cpu intensive tasks. for example, an overclocked haswell i5 will run circles around a locked kabylake i5.

you might use it once every 2 years if that

I watch dvds all the time

youre living in the past

*tips fedora*

>man living in the past tipping his fedora
pottery

Nothing. Still plenty of media on optical drives that haven't been phased out yet. You could also make back ups on dvds or cds.

Jeez grandpa at least get blu rays

Anyone might replying?

>getting anything from PCCaseGear

Building a new PC after 4 years with the FX-6300

Recommend me a better CPU-mobo combo.
I'm lost as fuck in today's market.
Should I xenon? I have a 350$ budget.

Getting a desktop now, should I buy a decent mobo, case and psu and go with g4560 + 1050 + 8gb of basic 2400 drr4? I plan to upgrade later to whatever i7 will fit the socket and some better graphics.

Or should I jsut get like i5-7400 + 1600 6gb and average the rest (b250 and other mid tier stuff) and forget upgrading, just buy a new one when this one becomes old?