Cheap Used Dual Xeon Master Race Thread

Let's laugh at all the retards flushing hundreds of dollars down the toilet to buy (((new))) CPUs to do the same job a couple of e5-2670s made in 2012 will do for a fraction of the price.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T5600-w-2x-Intel-Xeon-E5-2609-2-40GHz-64GB-RAM-250GB-HDD-/381975767078?hash=item58ef87a826:g:MO4AAOSwdGFYsFnm#viTabs_0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I agree. Op is not a fag.

>he's okay with bulldozer tier single threaded performance
LUL

The e5-2670 has much better single threaded performance than the best Bulldozer series CPU.

Passmark
>AMD FX-8150 Eight-Core
>Single Thread Rating: 1333

>Intel Xeon e5-2670 (also 8 core)
>Single Thread Rating: 1602

If you go up to the best Xeon from that series it's the e5-2690 with a single thread rating of 1857. And if you really wanted to you could go with the Xeons that have higher clock speeds and lower core counts.

>FX 9590
>Single Thread Rating: 1729
KEK BTFO

>not bulldozer
You keep on moving those goalposts. The e5-2690 still beats it. And the price on the used market is about the same. And the Xeon has far superior overall performance. Who gives a crap about single threaded performance in 2017? You have plenty of power for everything that ever needed it, and everything that is coming out is optimized for multiple threads.

I always wanted some but went with e3-1230v3, no acs :(

Why are single socket so much more??

But you will pay hundreds for a used main board to support your obsolete CPU? How autistic are you?

I thought Nehalem was the most recent dual-socket gear that could be had cheaply

> Who gives a crap about single threaded performance in 2017?

People concerned about running software that only runs on a single core. Not everyone's world revolves around video games, some of us go outside and have sex for fun.

Post your best motherboard + CPU deal. You must post the price of the motherboard in your post.

What's is this? 2003?

>some of us go outside and have sex for fun
lmao that's fucking pathetic what's next using social media shit?

>tfw almost all 2011-v2 mobos hackintosh ready are overpriced as fuck.

lmfao what the fuck do you even need a Xeon for

>some of us go outside and have sex for fun.
if I have a dual socket system, will that make me cool so girls will like me?

Ayyyy, Mine does okay. It does everything I need it to do and more for the moment.

I still need to try 4Ghz

you the one I talked to a few months ago with a i7 930 or something contemplating a x5650?

4ghz should be do-able on a decent air cooler, which cooler you have?

Thats me senpai,
I have a H100, I know I can do it, but I dont really need the horsepower at the moment so I keep putting it off.

Glad to see you got it :3

With a water system it should be no problem.
Those xeons are so fucking beastly even today, its almost sad.

I know its overpowered, but seeing that hexa at 4ghz is just magical.. Go for it :)

I'm currently on a xeon x3470 (i7 870 equivilant) socket 1156, running 3.8ghz on air..
Even that is enough power for years probably.

Still getting Zen in a couple of weeks, really just for the fun of overclocking some new fully open hw once more!
Can't wait, so good to see AMD put a little pressure on the jews again :P

The only software of significance that only runs on a single core and also needs high single core performance ratings are video games. Legacy software doesn't need high power and newer software isn't single threaded if it is demanding. I'm sure you will now bring up some obscure usage scenario 0.001% of users will care about.

Which used Xeon is the best value? Looking for something more recent, not Core 2 Duo era stuff. I've been eyeballing the E5-2670... thoughts?

You can just buy a used workstation as a barebones kit, or go all the way up to having the CPUs installed. Price is anywhere from $300 to $1000 depending on what you want.

Best buy is to get one of the dual CPU units with the lower-spec LGA2011 Xeons and swap them out for the e5-2670.

>Best buy is to get one of the dual CPU units with the lower-spec LGA2011 Xeons and swap them out for the e5-2670.
Can you give me an example? I see good Supermicro boards on eBay for around $200-250. Worth it, or should I do something else? Thanks man

That one is the best value overall, although X5650 systems are cheaper. It depends on your budget. I have a dual X5650 system (HP z800) and I've never felt the slightest sluggishness in anything other than times when I intentionally pushed settings way over the top in AAA games, and that was likely my GPU causing the bottleneck.

Context: I'm thinking about building a system to run Proxmox (virtualization software) in order to run a macOS VM rather than purchasing an expensive Mac Pro. I assume I'll need a Supermicro board or similar because they have full IOMMU support and such, so I can use them to pass through GPUs to the guest OS, whereas I assume this isn't possible with an HP prebuilt. As far as I can tell, I should just buy a good 2011 Supermicro board and a pair of E5-2670's, right?

> although X5650 systems are cheaper
Are there any disadvantages to these other than the fact that they're slower?

As far as I can tell, I'm looking at about $750 for two E5-2670, a good Supermicro board, and 128GB ECC DDR3.

Supermicro is good if you plan on spending a little more and customizing your system. You could do a liquid cooling solution much easier with them, for example. Or have a wider choice in fans.

Say you buy a system like this:

ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T5600-w-2x-Intel-Xeon-E5-2609-2-40GHz-64GB-RAM-250GB-HDD-/381975767078?hash=item58ef87a826:g:MO4AAOSwdGFYsFnm#viTabs_0

And then all you have to do is swap out the CPUs for the better model. You don't have to track down one of HP's fans (they use a proprietary connector and can be expensive) or mess with hacks.

Sell the old CPUs and whatever GPU is included (you'll probably want to upgrade), install an SSD (or don't) and you're ready to go.

Thanks for the tip about the Dell, but check out I'm not sure of the Precision would work for my purpose, although they're clearly extremely cheap, so if it would then I might go that route

>Are there any disadvantages to these other than the fact that they're slower?

Make sure the motherboard supports SATA3 if that's important to you. Not all LGA 1366 motherboards have it. Same goes for the type of ram you want to use.

But overall 2x X5650 is still a "beast" CPU in the grand scheme of things.

If you have around a $1k to spend on the overall system and aren't really worried about saving every penny I would go with the custom route.

>If you have around a $1k to spend on the overall system and aren't really worried about saving every penny I would go with the custom route.
I figured, thanks. Honestly a Mac Pro of even vaguely similar specs will be $2k+ so I may as well just splurge.

why this board became such a shithole?
Are you intentionally ruining this board by such threads, or are you just all mentally retarded?

do you have an actual argument?

Yes, people are toxic here and they all think their opinions and preferences are the only valid ones.
Kill yourselves, dipshits

ok

x5650 ftw $450 for workstation minus the $150 5tb hdd

Oh I am confident you can kick the shit out of the best mac pro ever made for significantly less cost.

Nice, how does OS X perform? Do you have to do hacky bullshit to keep it running a la Hackintosh? Has it survived major OS updates without tinkering? Are you using any graphics acceleration with it by any chance, be it software or hardware?

>Do you have to do hacky bullshit to keep it running a la Hackintosh?
Not really my area of expertise but I'd say keeping "hacky bullshit" to a minimum is one of VMware's missions.

>Not really my area of expertise but I'd say keeping "hacky bullshit" to a minimum is one of VMware's missions.
Yep, but OS X VMs are not officially supported on anything other than an OS X / macOS host

All you have to do is run a script to unlock OS X emulation. Restart then you're golden. No hackintosh bs just install as if it were a mac. I've updated her to 10.12.3 without issues but I haven't messed with any graphics acceleration sadly

Thanks, if it works well enough for your setup then I'm confident it will work totally fine with GPU passthrough. Just have to start socking away money for this inevitably expensive setup.

Potentially stupid question: Can I use a different (but still compatible) CPU in the second socket? Say, a cheap quad-core for my host stuff and an expensive 10-core Xeon for the guest.

proprietary garbage, go QEMU/KVM

Performance is decent. Better than when I had my core 2 duo hackintosh settup

I'm fairly certain you would have to use the same CPU for both sockets

I'm looking for something as good if not better than my current i7-4790k for a reasonable price.

I'm doing some server related stuff on my desktop and I want to move all of that over to a standalone server because sometimes it becomes a burden.

What do you guys think I should go for?

I agree but I'm trying to familiarize myself with the product since it's fairly common in an enterprise scenario

>the same job
They're shit at games

Actually
1. CPUs must have the same QPI and RAM speed to work together.
2. CPUs must have the same thermal profile (TDP) to work together.
3. The CPUs must have the same number of physical cores to work together.
4. The CPUs must have the same number of logical cores to work together.
5. Stepping does not matter.
6. Clock speed does not matter.

ESXi is pretty simple though

I did use that for a while too, but i moved to plain QEMU/KVM setup and well it just werks, although it doesn't really have anything special features for me at least, its just plain debian with KVM on top of it and managed with virt-manager on another machine. I guess it doesn't have as much as stuff ESXi + vCenter does out of the box but it does what i need and it works just fine

used to have dual X5675s in my main PC, but the ancient motherboard started acting up and the heat output/power consumption was massive, so I just moved to a single E5-2670 setup. even that's plenty enough for all my virtualization and gaymen needs.

This outpour of server shit recently is very cool, desu. If one chooses to, it is possible to get quad socket G34 system with 16 cores each, socket it with 64gigs of ram and have a really hefty machine below $500.

I actually made myself a little shitbox for playing around with Vulkan made of dual 6-core opterons on socket 1207 and 32 gigs of memory for less then $150. The radeon 240 was actually most expensive part, because I had to get it new.

Me and a friend overclocked a quad socet 16core (64 total) g34 system a few years ago to like 4.6ghz, 1.45v.
It made the AX1200w psu shut down, drawing over 1550w from the wall in only cpu load during a benchmark :P

Almost took the wprime overall wr that day, I believe my friend did take it some days later actually on that system.

The fact that used server shit sounds like a viable option compared to paying out the ((((((nose)))))) for a new CPU just goes to show how hard Intel has fucked the CPU market. Ryzen can't come soon enough and flush this shitshow down the drain.

How is knopflerbruce?
Opteron interlagos are dirty cheap, the motherboard are not and power consumption is insane tho.
Not really a viable workstation setup unless you are not the one who is paying the electricity bill.

I'm currently waiting for the V2 Xeons to come down in price, but seems they are still pretty expensive.

He's good, visited a few months ago tho no crazy oc adventures this time. Practically slept on a pile of motherbards :P

>Brings up a 220 W (no, that's not a typo) CPU.

Lel. That CPU would cost €40-50 MORE on electricity alone than the Xeon yearly.

Stay dumb AMDfags : )

>fraction of the price
They still go for hundreds new and their mobos are even more expensive not to even mention dual socket ones. They're shit for gayms. They're housefires. Are you retarded?

I'm fine. THe WR server and three more of the same kind are stored under the bed... impossible to sell them locally.

I miss the days when electricity was included in my rent...

There are 12c V2's to be found around the $200-300 mark on ebay. Not too shabby :)