I quit my cubicle CRUD codemonkey position yesterday to start as junior dev at a video game company for 10K less

I quit my cubicle CRUD codemonkey position yesterday to start as junior dev at a video game company for 10K less.
Tell me how bad I fucked up.

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2011/05/29/why-playing-video-games-might-make-you-fat/#5a7fca8361b7
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Working as a vidya dev can be codemonkeying too. Depends on the company

>giving up a cubicle
Are you retarded?

Don't fuss about the money - What's important is that you enjoy your job (or hate your job less).

The good thing about a vidya company is you can say "I helped make that" while pointing to something that isn't some corporate bean counting system.

But it very much depends on the company and the people you work with.

I don't know anything about your new company, but let me tell you something about being a vidya dev at a medium sized studio.

You're still a code monkey.
You might work on something that seems more interesting to you, but at the end of the day, you're still a code monkey. But now, you've got to deal with the dark side of vidya dev on top.

>deadlines approaching
>crunch for weeks
>forget about going home
>this is your home now

Something goes wrong, management fucked up.

>money dries up
>crunch anyway
>no money, no time
>this goes for about three months
>finally quit because you're starting to really suffer from inhaling amphetamines and lack of sleep.

Other than my anecdotal evidence, others will probably tell you similar horror stories about being a full time vidya dev.

>>finally quit because you're starting to really suffer from inhaling amphetamines and lack of sleep.
Do employees at video game companies know how to hook a brother up? Asking for a friend

Yeah. If it's more than a few dozen people chances are pretty much perfect someone could sell you something or tell you where to source.

this
cubicles are going extinct

>The good thing about a vidya company is you can say "I helped make that" while pointing to something that isn't some corporate bean counting system.
ah yes
bragging rights are always the most important thing

are you 12?

>deadlines approaching
>crunch for weeks
>forget about going home
>this is your home now

sounds like a dream job. parents are dead, no family, no gf/wife or kids, autistic as fuck so no future family possible.

where do i sign up

>comfy cubicle
>more pay
>stable income
>company doesn't really have to wait on your work

vs.
>less pay
>gfx, engine, ai, physics, tools programming
>success of product is make-or-break for whole company
>people breathing down on you to make their lives easier
>crunch time

Somewhere a pajeet is praying to shiva for the new job they have.

>quit codemonkey position for a codemonkey position

what an amazing decision

I meant less in a "bragging rights" sense and more in a "I'm proud of this thing I've helped create" sense.

>video games are the only thing a programmer could be proud of
>something that has actual value in the real world other than mindless entertainment should not be a thing of pride
way to be an absolute manchild

I got into the field through modding. But that was the 90s. Specialized in engine development over a rather large time frame.
Honestly if I'd try this now I wouldn't know where to start.

>something that makes people happy isn't something you should be proud of
way to be an absolute autist

You're just as narrow minded as the guy you're replying to. Maybe even more.

There is no absolute value tacked on random things. Games are part of "the real world". If he has a personal interest in games that is nothing inherently good or bad.
You seem to value other parts of your "real world" higher, but that is just like your opinion man.

Also video games are a fuck hueg industry for a reason. There is demand.

>I'm proud of contributing to childhood obesity

The video game industry is huge because the west is chock full of bored autists that have nothing better to do than blow their autism money on every new game that comes out

How the fuck can you possibly be proud of contributing to that?

I wonder how long it will take you to realize people will never like you as long as you're on your high horse.

a lot of things make people "happy", retardo, yet not even a fraction of them are things to be proud of

>n-no one likes you!!!
lmao

Video games are though.

>cubicle
>instead of a room

That feel when I'd actually love a clear cut corporate data position rather than working with some numales in video games

>making retarded assumptions

forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2011/05/29/why-playing-video-games-might-make-you-fat/#5a7fca8361b7

Oh, so we soccer moms now?

Are we shooting the messengers now?

food makes you fat. this bullshit propaganda pushed by food manufacturers isn't relevant is getting really old. EAT LESS YOU FAT FUCKS.

Wow someone hurt you, and bad.

Not commenting on the study (because it seems to be legit according to what they linked), but HOLY CRAP is that website a piece of shit. I can't imagine how anyone could unironically use that and even think "this is good" for one second

>let me prove you wrong by randomly and blatantly projecting my insecurities
lmao

If you learn advance math,optimization on GPU, concurrent systems, could change for better job, after delusion.

>advance math,optimization on GPU, concurrent systems
all of this means that he'd need a job beyond being a codemonkey
because in usually all of this would be analyzed and put together by analysts/architects/scientists

codemonkeys just translate it into code